View Full Version : Need help with my laptop...

05-24-2007, 11:14 PM
The cap for the letter "F" in my laptop keeps coming out I called a place tonight to have it fix and they wanted 39.99 to look at it and extra for fixing it , I was told that it could be close to 100.00:scared1: :scared1: :scared1: To me that is way to much to just fix the cap..

Now my question is could I use crazy glue or any other glue to fix it or will that damage the laptop? I would hate to create a bigger problem that I might have to pay more to fix. My warranty expired 2 mths ago (1.2 yrs laptop) so when I called HP they told me to mail it and that they will let me know how much will it be to fix after they received the laptop so I also believe that this will also be expensive..

05-25-2007, 01:13 AM
I have a dell, but my keys just snap in.. there are two little bars that sort of cross each other, and each key snaps into place. There would be no way to superglue my keys on without causing damage.

Surely you have a computer savy friend that would do it much cheaper.

05-25-2007, 09:05 AM
Laptop keyboards are generally pretty easy to replace yourself if you are at all handy.

Check ebay by searching for HP keyboard and your model number.

You'll find lots of auctions for HP laptop keyboards, and I'd bet that there are some for your model.

They should come to between $20 and $30 including the shipping.

For Dell, you can find the service manual online which details the steps to remove/replace the keyboard - maybe you can find the same for HP.


05-25-2007, 02:12 PM
most key caps just snap into place....did you try that?

05-25-2007, 02:55 PM
Yes my key cap will snap in place and then will just come out constantly I almost lost it once when it fell and we thought we lost it but found it on the floor, a friend also tried to fit it but it keeps coming out,:confused3 does that means that I have to change the whole keyboard?

05-25-2007, 04:09 PM
here's what I would do...and I'm not saying this is how it should be done, but if the little tabs that snap in aren't broken off, I would put a little (I mean little) crazy glue or something, snap them back into place and light it hold it there til it dries. Do not get it in the center of the key otherwise, you'll only be typing f's.

05-25-2007, 05:05 PM
you could also try a very small dab of silicone, making sure it is not too much to ooze to anything else....the cap will be removable in the future if you need to as the silicone remains pliable, unlike super glue. it will have to sit and cure longer than using super glue as well.....this is just my .02 and probably what I would try, altho probably not what a computer repair person would say needs to be done.....if it didn't work, it can always be pryed off....