PDA

View Full Version : Texas follow-up - sorry it's long

vanyel
05-24-2007, 03:48 PM
I just had to share my last traveling experience with you all. I went to a conference at Texas A & M in College Station. The weather was amazing - comfortable temperature and a beautiful breeze. The conference was great and we took a side trip to Austin (wish I could have spent more time there). The capital building was just beautiful and 6th St - fun. And everyone we met from Texas, just really, really nice!

But back home, things weren't going so smoothly. I got a call from DH just as the microburst knocked down the neighbors' trees. He was panicked - don't know what I could have done from Texas - but I tried. The end result -no power for 2 1/2 days on our side of the street and 4 days across the street. 3 roofs have to be replaced but our house didn't have a scratch. We had some damage to plants but that was minor. The campus I work at though, lost at least 9 trees, several utility poles fell, and 2 people were injured - not seriously thank goodness.

Day 2 goes great until the middle of the night when one of the students that had traveled with me found out her Grandmother had died. I got her home sometime Thursday morning after struggling with several not so helpful people at American airline. Her grandmother had been sick for years but still - it was her Grandmother! Can you believe they didn't have any bereavement fares available and charged $549 for a one-way trip back home? I should get reimbursed by the university (it's on my charge card) - if not, bake sales!

Then a phone call from DD who got hit in the head at work, accidently and had a concussion.

That's when the other student and I gave up and went to Austin for the afternoon!

Honestly I would have really liked to have seen more of Texas - we had a great time with what we could do, and the conference was really helpful for my job.

I took tons of pictures of Austin and the Texas A & M campus. The contrast in Austin between the old buildings and the new was fascinating. We saw several Blue Bell places but didn't end up there - I can't believe I didn't go into any stores either.

Cathy

aroyer
05-24-2007, 05:49 PM
I am so sorry for all the trauma!! That does not sound good. But I must say that I am glad that you had a good experience in Texas! And I am glad you got to come to Austin- it is a fantastic city. I actually work 2 blocks from the capitol and go there quite a bit (I work for a lobbyist group). It is a very pretty building. I am glad the weather held up for you, we are unseasonalby cool right now- I am not complaining either! :thumbsup2

New England Eeyore
05-24-2007, 09:49 PM
Oh my goodness! What an adventure at least.

Funny, my DH calls me for things I can't do anything about too. Last week, I had the GPS unit in my car, and he got lost on the way to a new location for work. He was panicking, and called me because I had the GPS, but the GPS would of course only give directions from where I was, not from where he was (about 50 miles difference!) Men!

vanyel
05-24-2007, 10:24 PM
Oh my goodness! What an adventure at least.

Funny, my DH calls me for things I can't do anything about too. Last week, I had the GPS unit in my car, and he got lost on the way to a new location for work. He was panicking, and called me because I had the GPS, but the GPS would of course only give directions from where I was, not from where he was (about 50 miles difference!) Men!

Face it, they need us!

vanyel
05-25-2007, 07:40 AM
I am so sorry for all the trauma!! That does not sound good. But I must say that I am glad that you had a good experience in Texas! And I am glad you got to come to Austin- it is a fantastic city. I actually work 2 blocks from the capitol and go there quite a bit (I work for a lobbyist group). It is a very pretty building. I am glad the weather held up for you, we are unseasonalby cool right now- I am not complaining either! :thumbsup2

I would have really liked to have spent more time in Austin but we were in Texas to work :rolleyes1 We could have flown into Austin but chose Houston based on price. Maybe next time the conference will be at U of T in Austin!

maria34a
05-25-2007, 08:08 AM
It sounds like you handled all the drama with finess! Good for you! Give yourself a pat on the back for not losing it! Count your blessings that your home was safe and your family was safe! Even though your DD had a misshap, it sounds like she was fine! Things could always be worse... Thank God it wasn't!!! ;)