PDA

View Full Version : Still Make WDW With Ebay

THEDISFANS
05-24-2007, 02:44 PM
We sold on ebay years ago and found that we could make enought to pay for our WDW trips. Now with the cost of the fees I paid ebay almost as much as I made. Is it just me are the fees out of control??

comicguy
05-24-2007, 04:06 PM
I tend to sell a lot of inexpensive items, 2-5 dollars(comic books). So I have in the last 3 months closed my ebay store(e-mailed them and told them why, their reply was "sorry to hear that"). I have been real choosey on what I now list but with fees what they are, plus paypal fees, the fraud(I now add DC to almost every order) and the postal increase(I am not seeing as many buyers). I am down to listing about 30 items or so a month.

As far as I see it ebay does not care for the little guy like they used to.

HeatherFeather
05-24-2007, 06:33 PM
I've said this before and will say it again. Ebay does NOT like the little guy. They make a percentage off sales, so of course they would rather allocate their resources to sales that generate higher dollar amounts. It uses as much of their server and other computer stuff that I don't understand to sell my knick knack for $5 as it does for someone to sell an expensive collectible for $200. I think raising fees is just their way of discouraging the hobby seller. It worked for me. I rarely list on Ebay and now buy much less as the sellers are charging more for shipping and handling to make up for the Ebay fees, Paypal fees, and postal rate increases. :mad:

horseshowmom
05-24-2007, 06:47 PM
Please see my post "Isn't ebay fun?" :lmao:

DisneyNeckCoolers
05-24-2007, 07:21 PM
ITA! That's why I have my own website now (for free) to sell my stuff. I know that doesn't work for those who sell stuff from around your home, but at least this works for me now.

mrsmiller
05-24-2007, 09:33 PM
Yes ebay's fees are high but as of now I made 972.23 less than a month mostly jeans and used clothes (I had to go to salvation army and goodwill as i sold mostly every piece of clothes that my kids outgrew) so there is still people that will put off with the ebay and the post office's fees and will buy things from ebay:confused3
Linnette

PatMcDuck
05-25-2007, 01:33 AM
I am still selling, but the last postal increase is really hurting me. I now began shipping some things UPS ground, vs. Priority. I never thought i would do that. The last item I did that for, was almost $23 with Priority to ship (!!) vs $11 something UPS ground. Yes, it's a little slower, but come ON, the item only cost $25.

I look forwars to "fininshing", but when I seem to get close, another friend gives me more stuff to sell for them (we split profits 50-50)

Ebay name is Dznynutty

mello
05-25-2007, 03:03 AM
From a buyer's perspective it used to be so much fun, like a great big rummage sale. You could find interesting things for good prices, and even have a nice time emailing back and forth with the sellers. Now it's taken over by impersonal companies with sleek page designs selling 100s of the same item for inflated prices with inflated "handling" fees. Of course I can't blame them for that anymore with ebay's and paypal's fees so high.

From a seller's perspective, it was a nice little part-time job for me. I would list my kids' outgrown clothes, toys, etc, sporadically, and earn maybe $100 one month, maybe $300 another month. But the last round I listed, nearly all of my earnings went to fees, paypal and postage; it wasn't worth the time I spent, so I haven't listed anything in months. I've been contemplating whether to try it again, but the increase in postage just sealed the deal for me. I'm done.

MiniGirl
05-25-2007, 08:38 AM
I was a power seller for a while, but stopped listing things pretty much after the last rate increase. I was no longer able to sell things for less money than you could get them for at your local store, and the fees were killing me.

I did list some things yesterday since they had to $.20 insertion fee, We'll see how it goes, but I'm thinking my eBay days are mostly behind me.

MomofCKJ
05-25-2007, 08:47 AM
The fees are horrid. I still have my store but debate each month whether to close or not. I still occasionally sell clothes or things from home but my main business has been my original artwork for kids rooms. The market for boutique kid's furnishings has definately cooled. Last year I sold at least one painting a week and always had quite a few orders I was working on. Today I am shipping out a painting and I have no orders, nothing waiting in the wings. It stinks really. I was counting on another year like last year to help pay for our next trip.

And I agree with the past poster who said how it used to be like a fun, world wide rummage sale. It used to be fun to see what you could find. Now it is lots of businesses or drop shippers selling the same old things. It has lost some of its charm.

Allyson

DMRick
05-25-2007, 11:58 AM
Too high for what? For what they give you, I'd have to say no. Their fees are way less than what I'd have to pay to have a brick and motar store, what with rent, heat and lights, insurance, etc. And, I would have to be in a store, or hire someone.

What is way too high, are the government taxes. They do nothing and get 28% of my net! eBay puts my item out there..they advertise for me, they have searches set up, they have the buying people, they have online selling classes. I sure couldn't make this percent of money on a garage sale!

If you want to save on fees, put your items up with just one picture, no gallery, etc. If your items won't sell that way, then you will see that eBay is doing something for the money you pay.

Keep in mind that if you list a lot of items, and they aren't selling, but you still have to pay fees, that perhaps what you are selling doesn't have the worth you think it does. That certainly isn't eBay's fault.