PDA

View Full Version : We stopped our garbage service

gilby
05-23-2007, 09:52 PM
We stopped our garbage service which was 86.00 every three months. Now we take over two bags every two week for 3.50 to the dump. We also take our recycling to the recycling center. It has saved us a lot of money.

aka-mad4themouse
05-24-2007, 05:38 AM
I didn't know that people actually paid individually for garbage and recycling pick up. Every town I've ever lived in pays for it out of the taxes and contracts pick up for the whole community. You learn something new everyday!

PS. - So does the $253 you're saving get to go towards Dole Whips and Mickey Bars?

gilby
05-24-2007, 05:51 AM
Yes, it does. We are able to go on two trips a year just buy scaling things back.

tinkamom
05-24-2007, 05:51 AM
We don't get garbage collection (or mail service) in the town I live in. I did the same thing as the OP when my garbage collecter refushed to take about 5 bags of leaves I left out! I figured I might as well haul it myself and save a little money! I'm not sure how long I'll do it though, with summer coming up!

CF'er
05-24-2007, 06:13 AM
We live in the county, not city, and don't have garbage pick-up. We pay $50 for 3 months. We have thought about hauling our own but the mess etc stops me. I guess I don't mind paying for the convenience.

DisneyMomJen
05-24-2007, 06:21 AM
We pay a little over $40 a month for our garbage service. They come twice a week. It REALLY bothers me to pay this much for garbage, but I am not sure there is anything else we can do.

gilby
05-24-2007, 06:22 AM
We recycle as much as we can, use the garbage disposal, and the mess isn't bad, We shred major papers and the several credit card offers. If you are careful, there is no mess. I got sick of everytime I opened the bill it went up, some new county or state fee.

WDWHo
05-24-2007, 06:31 AM
OMG Congrats on the save but I am more amazed by the amount of trash you have. Our family puts out at LEAST 4 50 gallon Trashcans 2 x a week!!

We have more then most. I dont know why we have so much???

mickeyfan2
05-24-2007, 06:40 AM
We pay $4/week for trash. We live in the country and the waste disposal is 45 minutes away. The thought of hauling trash away and the cost of gas make the $4/week seem like a bargain.!

MrsPete
05-24-2007, 06:43 AM
Our service is included with our taxes, so I don't know how much we pay for it -- plenty, most likely -- but opting out isn't an option. However, the service is great; I'm sure they'd haul away a dead body if I put one on the curb.

mickeyfan2
05-24-2007, 07:02 AM
I'm sure they'd haul away a dead body if I put one on the curb.

So can I bring by a body that I need to dispose of?;)

budbeerlady
05-24-2007, 07:12 AM
Hey O.P. We do the same thing! We have a punch card we can buy for $18, so each trip is around $2.25.

We kept forgetting to take the trash out, then one day our neighbor took our can (Can was just gone, two weeks later they have our brown trash service can filled next to their green one! Hillbillys!) The trash company wanted $50 for another rolling can and I had already told them we were done with them since I had no idea at the time what happened to our can. I wasnt paying $50 to have it disappear again.

pamjb
05-24-2007, 07:14 AM
OMG Congrats on the save but I am more amazed by the amount of trash you have. Our family puts out at LEAST 4 50 gallon Trashcans 2 x a week!!

We have more then most. I dont know why we have so much???

Do you have separate recycling? I have a family of 4. Our township just started a new system. We have 1- 96 gallon can that is picked up once a week. We usually only have 2-3 bags per week in there (13 gal kitchen bags). In addition, we have 2 recycling bins which we typically fill every week. We pay $268 a year for garbage and recycling. We also recycle more than our township takes and take it the city recycling center. The proceeds benefit crime victims and the juvenile offenders work off their community service there. The township will take office paper, but it has to be bundled. Since I shred everything that goes out of our house with our name on it AND I work from home, I usually have 2 large bags of shredded paper a week. That goes to the recycling center.

mommiepoppins
05-24-2007, 07:20 AM
We stopped our garbage service which was 86.00 every three months. Now we take over two bags every two week for 3.50 to the dump. We also take our recycling to the recycling center. It has saved us a lot of money.

we used to do that but in the summer magets became a problem and with the cost of gas (10rt to dump) it is no longer worth it. I pay 75 every three months for a garbage and I recycle like a pro and I still pay that amount.

formernyer
05-24-2007, 07:35 AM
My trash collection is $18 a month.

I would HAVE to make a trip to the dump every week. It's free to dump. However, not only would I HATE to have to load all that crap into my vehicle, but the dump is 6.5 miles from my house. That's 13 miles extra per week @ $3+ per gallon, and I only get 12 miles to the gallon. Soooo, we're looking at over $3.00 per week, or $12 per month, to dump. I think I'll save the 1.5 hours a month dumping trash and fork out the extra $6 for pickup. It's a no-brainer for the $72 per year that it costs me. Actually, I'd probably still have the pickup even if I saved the $268 that you're saving.

Rob R
05-24-2007, 07:43 AM
we used to do that but in the summer magets became a problem and with the cost of gas (10rt to dump) it is no longer worth it. I pay 75 every three months for a garbage and I recycle like a pro and I still pay that amount.

wow. we pay $29 for three months. i have been complaining about it because it was $27 and they added a fuel surchage of 2 something.

thought about reducing my bill adding "postage surcharge"

OT: i hate it when companies raise your price and call it "fuel surcharge" it's a scam. raise the price, or don't. How about "kid split face open, insurance company deductable payment reduction" next time my mortgage is due???:confused3

thanks for the rant

rob

MiaSRN62
05-24-2007, 08:03 AM
It's great you can do this. That is a major savings.

Not an option for us. We pay $90 for 3 months. With a family of 5, a dog and 3 cats.....we have a lot of trash. And besides, our nearest dump is almost an hour away. Just not worth the inconvenience of storing a large amount of trash/waste and the travel time/gas price. Also, our $90 get us pickup of recycling as well as large item disposable. For instance....the past 6 months, we put an old dryer and an older lawn mower out at the curb and they dispose of it.

DisneyMommyMichelle
05-24-2007, 08:56 AM
25$ a month here!

we have loads of garbage..easily 4-5 huge garbage bags filled with junk!

teamagic
05-24-2007, 09:09 AM
It is interesting to see what others pay to get rid of their garbage. Here we pay $33.00 a quarter and I second that with our service they will take anything. We just moved and dh was worried that some of the things that we sat out at the road would not be picked up. Some things were even gone before the next morning. :thumbsup2

gilby
05-24-2007, 09:40 AM
It does make a difference how far you have to drive. We don't have far to drive, If you are concious of what you throw away, there is no mess. To me to save 200 plus dollars, is more money in my pocket then to give it to certain fees of the county or state.

DVC-Don
05-24-2007, 10:42 AM
We paid $68 every other month for trash and recycling pick up at our home. We also have a business office where we pay $68 per month for a 2 yard dumpster bin. We stopped the home pick up and now bring our trash to the office. The county has a recyling stop near the office, so once a month I stop there to drop of the recyles. So, we saved $408 per year.

rparmfamily
05-24-2007, 11:27 AM
I'm amazed at how much trash some of you say you make a week! WOW!

I was paying $33 quarterly, but recently they changed it so it's included in the taxes. We made 1-2 cans a week (not big cans either) for a family of 4. But I recycle a lot and try to keep my waste down.

jessica52877
05-24-2007, 12:35 PM
Ours would be $37 a MONTH! Once we moved here I never got trash service! It has been almost 6 years and I don't mind at all. To haul it off is about 45 minutes but I would much rather do it (and $.25 per bag). At most we have 2 bags a week, usually 1. We recycle alot, haul it to the same place and I try not to buy tons of stuff in big containers, boxes I reuse, water bottles I also reuse. We don't have a garbage disposal due to septic tank but if I put it in a bag first then I assure myself no mess. I LOVE saving the money!

daughtersrus
05-24-2007, 01:18 PM
we used to do that but in the summer magets became a problem and with the cost of gas (10rt to dump) it is no longer worth it..

I heard that if you put a box of moth balls in the bottom of the can, it will keep the maggots away. I haven't tried it yet, mostly because I hate the smell of moth balls.

daughtersrus
05-24-2007, 01:24 PM
I don't know what we pay for our garbage because it's built into our property taxes for the village. We get 1 cubic yard of garbage every week. All of the garbage has to be out of the cans because it's against the union contract here for them to lift cans. We can put out one large item like a couch, water heater, stove...each week but we have to call first and let them know. That way, they will make sure that our driver has a helper to get it into the truck. We also get as much lawn waste removal as we can put out but it either has to be in the brown paper bags or branches can be tied together. We recycle A LOT and have 5 bins full every week.

Most of the suburbs surrounding us pay per bag. They have to go to the village hall or local grocery store to purchase stickers. Each bag needs a sticker and I think that they run about $2.50 piece. At least mine is tax deductible! ;)

tiggrsbride
05-24-2007, 02:02 PM
Here we have to pay the town 165 twice a year, for a total cost of 330.00 yearly. I hate it, but they do take everything, even appliances with a phone call to schedule the pick up. Recycling is mandatory.

I guess these hot days make me appreciate the service and the job those guys do!

TwistofLemon
05-24-2007, 05:20 PM
We pay about $250.00 a year. They pick up once a week, but don't recycle. We take our own recyclables in to town. (I live in the sticks)
My parents live down the street from us. They put their trash in my can. Very seldom do we have too much for the one can.

So here's a potential new way to meet your neighbors :rotfl2: See if they wanna share your garbage!

trulygoofy
05-24-2007, 05:37 PM
Our garbage and recycling bill is added into our water bill. When they added recycling, it was a lot easier than hauling everything to the recycling drop offs. We have seen them take swing sets, sofas, Christmas trees, and other big things. If we rake our leaves to the curb they come and suck them up. We get our moneys worth!

luvsmickeymouse
05-24-2007, 05:53 PM
We pay $10 for a sticker that is good for 2 years. And if you have a second car, the second sticker is free. The recycling center is on my way to work, it would be crazy for me to have trash pick up. I don't store it outside, when the bag in the house is full, I throw it out on my way to work.

cbrfan
05-24-2007, 07:45 PM
It's great you can do this. That is a major savings.

Not an option for us. We pay $90 for 3 months. With a family of 5, a dog and 3 cats.....we have a lot of trash. And besides, our nearest dump is almost an hour away. Just not worth the inconvenience of storing a large amount of trash/waste and the travel time/gas price. Also, our $90 get us pickup of recycling as well as large item disposable. For instance....the past 6 months, we put an old dryer and an older lawn mower out at the curb and they dispose of it.

I'll bet they did!! Do you know how much they're getting for scrap metal these days?? :scared1:

momof296&02
05-24-2007, 07:53 PM
We don't get garbage collection (or mail service) in the town I live in. I did the same thing as the OP when my garbage collecter refushed to take about 5 bags of leaves I left out! I figured I might as well haul it myself and save a little money! I'm not sure how long I'll do it though, with summer coming up!

I was soo suprised by your post. We live on Long Island & get garbage collection & mail service. We are in Suffolk County. You must be much further east.

DawnM
05-24-2007, 07:55 PM
We have a dump site near a high school here that will charge 25 cents per bag!

It doesn't really work for us as we have quite a bit of garbage and the high school is 15 miles away, but it is great for many.

Dawn

kaddjr
05-24-2007, 09:17 PM
I'll bet they did!! Do you know how much they're getting for scrap metal these days?? :scared1:

::yes:: ::yes:: ::yes::

I have two neighbors that collect scrap metal and turn it in for $$. Me, I just save and turn in aluminum and tin cans. The proceeds go into my Mickey fund.;)

Adi12982
05-24-2007, 09:59 PM
I sure am happy that I live in big cities where trash pickup is included for free (I mean I am sure they tax for it somewhere, but still). . . One less bill to pay each month.

Free4Life11
05-25-2007, 03:14 AM
My parents live in the country and burn their garbage. There is no garbage service. There is a barrel out by the barn and whenever it's not windy my dad brings out the garbage and burns it. They drop off recyclables in town and they keep a box for "non-burnable" things and just discreetly put them in the garbage can on main street whenever they go into town.

pjlla
05-25-2007, 08:13 AM
Wow.... you all make me realize that I am getting a bargain! We pay $15/mo for weekly trash pick up. He will take any amount of trash (we usually have a max of two large barrels, including everything). The only thing he won't take without advanced arrangements are things that cost him to dump at the landfill like pressure treated lumber and hazardous waste (ie: paint). Not only that, he is a great guy with a young family (four kids) and they belong to our church, so I feel like I am helping support a good business.

We have lots of woods behind us so we dump whatever organic waste out there.... leaves, guinea pig bedding, cat litter (but we know not to use the g.p. bedding and cat litter for compost!) We have also had compost bins in the past, but not currently. We have looked into a burn barrel in the past, but it is not legal around here. We shred whatever white paper trash we can and use along with purchased bedding for the g. pigs.

I have thought about not having trash pick up to save money, but our dump is about 14 miles from the house.... including loading the trash in the car, it would take over an hour on the weekends. With the kids sports and all, we don't always have an hour on Saturdays to bother with that. And at $15/mo, it is really a bargain!..........................P