PDA

View Full Version : I Have $550 Saved for Christmas already!

Bearvet
05-23-2007, 03:42 PM
Every week when I grocery shop I write my check for $20 over the total. I put the $20 in an envelope to save for Christmas and don't tell anyone about it. I began last December and so far I have $550 saved for this Christmas!! (I had $50 left over from our Feb vacation, so I added it to this envelope).

I just counted up 28 weeks until Christmas shopping; so 28 X $20 = $560, so that's $1110 to spend on Christmas this year!! We really don't miss the extra $20 per week this way, but the cash for shopping in Nov/Dec is wonderful. We have 3 teenage boys, so their gifts have gotten very expensive (ipods, game systems, etc). This way I can shop when I see great sales in November too.

Just thought I'd share - this system really works well for me!

eacatwork
05-23-2007, 03:57 PM
We do the "envelope" thing in our household and our Christmas envelope gets $50 each month...that's $600 to spend for Christmas, and believe it or not, with sales, coupons, internet shopping deals, etc. I can buy presents for over 20 people with $600 and "really take care of" the special people in my life (DH, DDog, DParents, DBro, DSIL, etc.).

KristiA
05-23-2007, 03:57 PM
That is a really great idea! DH won't be getting his usual bonus this year for Christmas, so this idea will come in handy. I was starting to think of ways to start saving for Christmas this year and this would be really easy to do. We wouldn't miss that $20 a week either for groceries.

grumpy28
05-23-2007, 04:04 PM
What a great idea! :cheer2:

sunshyne1023
05-23-2007, 04:06 PM
That is an awesome idea!! We may start doing that too!

rkandmjsmommy
05-23-2007, 05:30 PM
we do this for our disney trips, $20.00 a week and any extras, pays for our dining plan and extras!

thelionqueen
05-23-2007, 05:37 PM
I currently have a chart on the fridge indicating exactly what we need to save weekly for our trip in Sept. By saving $200 per week we will have every expense paid for and spending $$.

HOWEVER, the extra $20 at the grocery store for Christmas is a SPLENDID idea!! I'm going to do that starting right away. The only trick for me is going to be able to avoid dipping into that stash!! Thanks for the tip

princesserinsmom
05-23-2007, 07:26 PM
wow great idea. If i start now i could still save a nice amount for christmas.:banana: Thanks for the idea

Iluvjiminy
05-23-2007, 07:47 PM
That sounds like a good idea. :thumbsup2 I had been saving any overtime I made for our upcoming trip to WDW but they cut out all over time two weeks ago:sad2: . I managed to save nearly $600. before they cut us back to 40 hours a week. Now my plan is to continue saving. I only make $260./wk and told DH I only make $200. and he bought that story :lmao: so anything over that will go straight into my secret savings account.....we'll have money for Christmas and nobody but me will know its there and "need" to borrow it.

Bearvet
05-23-2007, 08:30 PM
I'm glad you like this idea and I hope it helps someone! When I put the $20 in the envelope each week, I write the date and the amount I put in. I subtotal each $100 so it's easy to see how quickly it grows. I think this helps with the temptation to leave the money where it is and not "borrow" it. I also keep reminding myself how great it will be to have this amount of CASH to shop with at Christmas time (or vacation or whatever).

Good luck with your saving!!

blessedby3
05-23-2007, 08:39 PM
I transfer $50 each time my DH gets paid (2 times per month) into a savings account that only has Christmas money in it. This way we have $1200 saved up to spend on Christmas. It really helps to have the money there come Nov. when I Christmas shop.

cajunpeach
05-24-2007, 04:26 PM

bettyann29
05-24-2007, 06:18 PM
I automatically budget christmas money each week just like its a bill and put it back so when christmas gets here we will have the money readily available.. what Ive started doing for our disney trips is each week I go to my local disney store and put money on a disney giftcard.. that way Im not tempted to spend the money.. luckily I have a disneystore closeby me that I can do this.. it makes it much easier for me..