PDA

View Full Version : Disney Visa...worth it?

grannyminnie
05-23-2007, 11:31 AM
Dis-ers...those of you who have and use the Disney Visa card...is it worth applying for? We use Amer. Express for the FF miles, but if it would benefit me more, I'd be open to having the Visa. Tell me how it's helped you, and what all it gets us Disney fanatics!!

DaisyLou2
05-23-2007, 11:50 AM
It doesn't give you much I'm afraid.
But if you are someone who puts your groceries and gas onto a credit card every month then you would earn a lot of reward dollars. You can then have them sent to you for spending money on your next Disney trip.

grannyminnie
05-23-2007, 11:58 AM
We do put gas and groceries on the card, but I was thinking more about charging Disney trips, and things I purchase for myself...clothes, etc. From what you've said, there aren't enough "perks" to justify it.
Anyone else have an opinion?

mom-2-3
05-23-2007, 12:53 PM
The rate is high (15.19%), so this is not a card on which to carry a balance.

The points are only 1% of net purchases, sometimes they will run a special where you can get 2 or 3% on certain things (ie Disneyland Packages not WDW), but not often.

The only advantages I see is if there is a package released, Disney Visa holders get to book it a couple days earlier and if you book a package you can have 6 mos no interest on the package. But it can get kinda fuzzy if you have a balance already, I think you have to call Chase (card issuer) to have your payments applied to your existing balance first during the 6 mos.

grannyminnie
05-23-2007, 01:38 PM
Thanks, Mom-2-3...so far, having the AmEx makes more sense...

C-CMom
05-23-2007, 01:46 PM
The bonuses were typically better when I was using my Amex for FF miles, but it's getting harder and harder to actually use miles, particularly for the "standard award" (without a lot of work, anyway). Since I had quite a few miles, I've switched over been using the Disney Visa. The bonuses are certainly few and far between, but at least it's consistent and when we go to Disney next year, we will have some easy-to-use Disney Dollars.

Tonyspad
05-23-2007, 01:52 PM
We have found that while the awards are not terrific, they are very easy to use. Everytime I have ever tried to use FF miles the FF seats are gone, unless you call at exactly 11 months out!! The Disney rewards may be used for food, hotel and park tickets, just to name a few. We use our Disney Visa when ever we can and love it!

brenda1966
05-23-2007, 02:06 PM
I wish the rewards are greater, but there are little perks:

the free 5x6 photo with a character at the parks
advanced notice and ticket purchase for shows coming to your town (ie. Broadway shows like Lion King)
Last year there as a special Disney Collector society piece that was only available to Visa card holders (not sure if they'll do that again).
And, like others have said, the Disney dollars you earn are easy to use.

Like you, I have a miles one visa that I put most of my heavy duty charging on, but have found they've changed the payout so it seems to take forever to earn airfare. I charge smaller things on the Disney Visa.

Tigger73
05-23-2007, 02:42 PM
The best credit card out there is the Amex Blue Cash - Hands down! Receive CASH back of 2% to 2.5% annually, you can spend the money anyway you want. The rewards from the Disney Visa is only 1%.

I do carry the Disney Visa as well, but use only when merchants don't accept Amex and for the discounts at Disney.

Hope this helps.

grannyminnie
05-23-2007, 04:51 PM
The best credit card out there is the Amex Blue Cash - Hands down! Receive CASH back of 2% to 2.5% annually, you can spend the money anyway you want. The rewards from the Disney Visa is only 1%.

I do carry the Disney Visa as well, but use only when merchants don't accept Amex and for the discounts at Disney.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the interesting info, Tigger73. We need to check into that!

Tam1067
05-24-2007, 03:55 PM
The Disney Visa also gives you 0% financing on any package at WDW for six months. That, combined with the rewards, makes it valuable to me. I use it for everything (except Costco!). You earn 1% which isn't much but does add up. On the Disney vacation alone, I got close to $50 back in rewards plus the 0% financing.

Chickysmom
05-24-2007, 04:05 PM
My DH and myself both got the Disney visa when they had the 50.00 Reward dollar bonus. The perks are poor and the rate of earnings is not great, but that 50.00 bonus and few Disney reward dollars here and there have been worth it. There is no fee to carry the card and we carry no balance....

Chickysmom
05-24-2007, 04:10 PM
http://www.firstusa.com/cgi-bin/webcgi/webserve.cgi?partner_dir_name=disney_50ddrd_altmed ia&page=cont&mkid=6SWH11

this is the link to get the 50.00 Reward dollars...

Tikihula
05-24-2007, 04:51 PM
When we bought a travel trailer a couple years ago, I arranged fiinancing through my credit union, but used my Disney Visa to actually make the purchase in order to get the points, then I paid off the Visa bill with the credit union loan.
Next month we're having a new roof put on the house and the money will come out of savings, but I'm putting the bill on my Disney Visa (again for the points) and then paying off the bill.
We rarely carry a balance, as the interest rate is higher than some other Visa cards, but I called and told them I was going to change credit cards due to their high interest rate, and they actually lowered the rate for a year.
We've used Disney points to pay for accommodations at the Disney resorts, purchases and shore excursions during our Disney cruise last January, and have another hundred or so points saved up for our trip in early December.
We did have a balance on our card when we booked our Disney cruise, but it was interest free for 6 months so we had plenty of time to pay it off.

trulygoofy
05-24-2007, 05:43 PM
I called a couple of weeks ago about my Disney Visa and I got my APR under 12%. They said to call back every 6 months to see if I can get it lower.

grannyminnie
05-24-2007, 06:43 PM
Thanks for all the great info, guys! Still thinking about it!!

bnlbebes
05-24-2007, 07:27 PM
We use the Disney Visa for business expenses (easy to tally at tax time) and travel expenses. On our upcoming trip we have saved $125 which we will use for quick meals and snacks. I use an AMEX card as my main card too. I use the BlueSky card, which basically gives about 1.25% back toward ANY travel expenses. It's usually good for a free plane ticket or two, and no blackouts or restrictions! (But AMEX is not accepted everywhere...)

blossombrd
05-24-2007, 08:31 PM
I got the Disney Visa almost 1 1/2 yrs. ago. The first year was 0% interest, but I always try to pay it off every month. I charge things like college tuition and car insurance, the big items that I already have the cash for so I can pay it off when I get the bill. Sometimes I charge gas. Around Christmas I still had 0% interest, again had the cash already to pay most of my purchases off and also earned double points for Nov. & Dec. So far I have about $250 in rewards to spend on my disney vacation in Sept. To me it's been very worth it. Now that I have begun to have interest charges, I limit my charges to only those bills that I know I can pay off and I try to pay the amount I intend to charge ahead of time, then don't get charged interest. Hope this makes sense. The only thing I don't like is that there is no grace period.
I don't fly enough to carry a card that gives FF miles.

larry_poppins
05-24-2007, 08:32 PM
I use the BLue Sky card from Amex too. I am new to the program what has your experience been with it? For charges I can't use AmEx I use the Disney Visa. Great minds think alike.

brenda1966
05-24-2007, 09:27 PM
Blossombrd, what do you mean about no grace period. I pay off my balance each month and I don't pay any interest.

gk90
05-24-2007, 10:45 PM
There's a $40 back offer if you apply for the card now--if you go to the main disneyworld page http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/index you'll see a small ad for it at the bottom
The explanation of the $40 offer is in the FAQ, I tried to cut & paste it but it won't cut, but here's the link
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/common/helpFAQ?id=HelpFAQDisneyVisaPage

DiznEeyore
05-25-2007, 07:23 AM
Blossombrd, what do you mean about no grace period. I pay off my balance each month and I don't pay any interest.

I'm not Blossombrd, but there is no grace period -- interest starts from the moment of purchase -- *if* you carry a balance. Since you pay off your balance every month, that doesn't affect you. :)

blossombrd
05-29-2007, 08:08 AM

No grace period means that you are charged interest from the date of purchase even if you pay the balance off. A couple of months ago, I paid off my balance but was charged $4.04 in interest and my balance due on my next statement was $4.04. It didn't matter that I paid my balance in full the month before.

Does anyone have a grace period on their D-Visa? Maybe I should check with Chase and see if that is an option?

shovan
05-29-2007, 09:45 AM
We pay all our bills online & when possible use the Disney Visa. I also use it for gas & groceries. We typically don't keep a balance on it & pay it off every month.
We have been earning anywhere from $600 -$800 in Disney Rewards per year. The rewards are much easier to redeem & use than trying to redeem FF miles. It works well for us.

brenda1966
05-29-2007, 10:14 AM
I do not pay interest on my Disney Visa. I even checked last month's bill.

Did you do a cash withdrawl? I think all cards charge interest right away on those.

Have you had a late payment? I know on my other Visa if I have a late payment, then I don't get the grace period the next month and I end up paying interest for 2 months plus a late fee (lesson learned the hard way) plus I forfeit any rewards! :(

Personally, I would not own a credit card that charged me interest right away and didn't let me pay off my balance each month without interest. There's just no reason to do that with so many cards offering better deals out there.

Tam1067
05-29-2007, 12:42 PM
I've never paid any interest, and I've had the Disney Visa for a few years now. I charge everything on it and have racked up quite a few Disney dollars with it.

DiznEeyore
05-29-2007, 12:54 PM
I do not pay interest on my Disney Visa. I even checked last month's bill.

Did you do a cash withdrawl? I think all cards charge interest right away on those.

Have you had a late payment? I know on my other Visa if I have a late payment, then I don't get the grace period the next month and I end up paying interest for 2 months plus a late fee (lesson learned the hard way) plus I forfeit any rewards! :(

Personally, I would not own a credit card that charged me interest right away and didn't let me pay off my balance each month without interest. There's just no reason to do that with so many cards offering better deals out there.

They do NOT charge you interest if you don't carry a balance. We charge things every month, pay them off within a day or two of them appearing on the account, and never pay any interest. Blossombrd is either misunderstanding their policy, or like you suggested above, there's something else figuring into it. Or Chase flat-out screwed up the account. But there is NO interest if you pay off your balance every month.

HTH! :)

Joey04
05-29-2007, 12:55 PM
I used to find this site helpful in deciding what credit card to apply for:

www.****************.com

The author used to be very sharp when it came to getting the latest cards on his list. The Amex Blue Sky Card on top for general purchases at 1.33%. However, it bothers me that I don't see my Fidelity 1.5% in there any more...

nowellsl
05-30-2007, 07:34 AM
I never pay interest on my Disney Visa or any of my chase cards but I do pay the balance twice a month. There is something called two cycle billing where if you carried a balance one month then paid it off the next month they figure interest on a two month cycle. I though Chase had done away with it, but they must still be doing it. After the two month cycle assuming you paid your balance and interest the second month you should not have been charged any interest in the 3rd month or any month after unless you carry a balance.

rbork
05-30-2007, 08:40 AM
What did we get for the Disney Visa?
We had over 300$ on a reward card and used it for our 'end of the cruise' bill for DCL.
We will have about 200$ on a reward card for an upcoming trip to FW.
After the disney years are over- we'll switch again to another card to get some other type of reward.
p.s We never carry a balance and only have 2 CC between DH and myself! Whooohooo!
Good Luck and Do What's Right for You.

WeRblam
05-30-2007, 09:51 AM
[QUOTE=shovan;18900764]We have been earning anywhere from $600 -$800 in Disney Rewards per year. QUOTE]

The maximum rewards you can earn per year is $750.00. That means you need to spend at least $75,000 to earn that based upon the $1 for every $100 spent.

I just use it for incidentals so I can earn a few dollars back. DO not keep a balance, use a different card if you plan to.:thumbsup2

Minnie's Mate
05-30-2007, 10:52 AM
We use our Disney Visa for every purchase we can and have several of our regular bills like newspaper and magazine subscriptions automatically renew on it. The expenses we can't charge to the Disney Visa are paid as automatic drafts to our checking account. That way we write a minimum number of checks each month...maybe two or three. We pay off our balance twice a month on-line so that we don't carry a balance and don't pay interest. The interest rate is just too high. We would use a different bank card with a better rate if we were going to carry a balance.

We always max out the number of Disney Reward Dollars we can earn and apply them toward our accommodations and room charges on our trips to WDW. Since we live in Atlanta, it is driving distance to WDW so FF miles wouldn't benefit us...we never fly anywhere else either. So we get a benefit from having the Disney Visa.

I wouldn't recommend the Disney Visa if you aren't going to use it frequently to earn as many Disney Reward Dollars as you can and pay off the balance every month. I would also recommend being very careful using any of Chase's products. They have too many predatory practices.

nowellsl
05-30-2007, 10:59 AM
I wouldn't recommend the Disney Visa if you aren't going to use it frequently to earn as many Disney Reward Dollars as you can and pay off the balance every month. I would also recommend being very careful using any of Chase's products. They have too many predatory practices.

I have 4 Chase cards and never had a hint of a problem with any of them. They even took off a late charge when I paid my bill too early one time. They do have better rewards cards than the Disney Visa - my primary card pays 5% cash back on groceries, gas and drug stores (this card is not available anymore). The Chase Freedom card pays 3% on gas, groceries and fast food places. I the Disney card on everything else. I think all the credit card companies use "preditory practices" and you just have to be careful not to default on any of the terms and conditions!!

LMEJ
05-31-2007, 10:20 AM
I am a huge fan. We use it to pay for EVERYTHING, but pay it off every month so I'm not concerned about the rate. We go to DW every other year and usually have about 1,000 points for each trip, so that is $1,000 off of our trip, which is huge to me. I agree it is probably not the best in terms of actual value, but since it is so EASY to redeem the points (no black outs, etc.) and I feel like I'm really "getting something" by having the money to apply to my vacation, rather than just getting small rewards checks from other cards, it is a winner for me.

GreatLakes5
05-31-2007, 01:42 PM
Can you tell me if, when you want to use your rewards, do you have to actually request them and receive something from Chase/Disney, or are they somehow automatically used when you are actually at Disney? Just wondering what sort of window is necessary between requesting a redemption and leaving for a trip.

nowellsl
05-31-2007, 02:09 PM
You order a rewards card either by phone or on-line. Initially you have to use at least $20 worth of rewards $. You can add more later on if you want. The cards do expire so I wouldn't order it too soon. Or I've heard that you can get the card at Downtown Disney if you don't get one before you leave - I've never done that.