PDA

View Full Version : using cooler instead of fridge at asmo?

mommy2paris
05-23-2007, 09:32 AM
Morning! I remember seeing a post awhile back about some people buying coolers during their grocery stop, using them in their rooms, instead of renting a fridge, and then leaving them for another family. I have been trying to tell dh that maybe we should try it when we are staying at ASMo in september for 8 days. But he really isn't buying it. I have seen picks of the fridges, and they look really small. We need to get at least 2 gallons of milk, plus other bigger things for our little ones, and I would like to get it all at once.
Anyone have experience with this? Are there plenty of ice machines around? How often did you have to dump out water and refill cooler? What did you transport ice in or did you actually take cooler to machine each time? Where did you keep cooler at in the room?
Tons of questions, sorry! TIA for any help!

eeyoregon
05-23-2007, 10:09 AM
Yes, you can certainly buy a cooler. It works great...just keep refreshing the ice.

The fridge's that Disney rents would not hold a gallon of milk as they are quite small.

tink_n_pooh
05-23-2007, 10:29 AM
We've used a cooler a few times. I only refilled the ice once a day and didn't have any problems. I just left the cooler right on the floor near the table and dumped the water in the bathtub.

I would carry the cooler to the ice machine (leaving the contents of the cooler in the room for a few minutes) with the ice bucket and fill it up at the ice machine. It only takes a minute to fill it up and carry it back to the room.

And the fridges are way to small if you are going to have 2 gallons of milk!

mommy2paris
05-23-2007, 11:30 AM
Thanks! It sounds like a good idea to me,and much cheaper!

Jeanne B
05-23-2007, 11:46 AM
We've used the styrofoam coolers before, cheap and disposable.

tar heel
05-23-2007, 11:53 AM
We've used a cooler many times, but we've not tried to keep several days of milk in there. We buy only the first milk at the grocery store, then we buy some at the resort store as needed. I buy 1/2 gallons instead of gallons b/c it's easier to keep them cold. I'm not sure what the resort store is charging now, but you may want to consider that.

We kept the cooler in different places depending on the resort. In All Stars, I believe we put it in the "closet" area since we don't hang up clothes at WDW.

bamor
05-23-2007, 12:53 PM
Yup, the styrofoam cooler is great. I think it was $6.00 at the Super Target.
Buy or pack gallon size Ziploc bags to hold the ice. Use the melted ice to fill your mister spray fan and just bring the bags to the ice machine once in the am and once in the pm. By the way, Parmalat milk works great as it does not need to be refrigerated until it's opened, same goes for those organic horizon milks.

eeyoregon
05-23-2007, 11:40 PM
P.S.

In case anyone is staying at the All Star MOVIES resort we have a fridge swap going.

These dates are available to use a mini-fridge at no cost:

July 7-31
August 1-20
September 1-4
October 8-17
October 24-29
November 9-30
December 1-7
December 21-31
January 1-7
January 17-31
and the rest of 2008 is open!!

If interested send me a private message or email me at eeyoregon@aol.com

gina

toesmom
05-24-2007, 06:48 AM
We have used styrofoam coolers in the past at the value resorts. Ice was easy to get at anytime, and we kept the cooler in the tub. It was a great way to keep our food costs low. If your dates would work out, read below for a fridge swap which is actually free and would save you the trouble of the cooler/ice altogether.

FREE FRIDGE, COFFEEMAKER and electric kettle for All Star Resort guests

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1395455

We have an ongoing fridge swap available for any families staying at All Star Resorts. Fridge (& coffeemaker, electric kettle, toaster) are free to use for entire length of stay, just need to return to guest services at All Star Movies and make sure it's clean when returned.

Disney charges $10 plus tax per night for use of fridge.

Available dates include July 15 to 30, Nov 8 to Nov 20, Jan 4- Feb 2, Feb 18- March 6 2008, March 9 - May 25

Here is the thread if interested

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1395455

toesmom
05-24-2007, 06:49 AM
Yup, the styrofoam cooler is great. I think it was $6.00 at the Super Target.
Buy or pack gallon size Ziploc bags to hold the ice. Use the melted ice to fill your mister spray fan and just bring the bags to the ice machine once in the am and once in the pm. By the way, Parmalat milk works great as it does not need to be refrigerated until it's opened, same goes for those organic horizon milks.

These ideas are great, thank you

goin2disneyagain
05-26-2007, 04:53 PM
We take a cooler and do use it. It's much better than the fridges at the resorts, they are too small and really didn't work very well. A cooler worked much better for us.

tink2dw
05-26-2007, 05:51 PM
We took a Collapable Cooler on wheels with a Handle we packed it with clothes in 2 gallon zip lock bags going to WDW, then used ziplocks for Ice for cooler. It was big enough to hold 4 gallons of milk. We iced cokes, sandwich meat and fixings, cottage cheese, cheese, bottled water. We were there 10 days in All Star Music. Their refigerators held 4 soda cans and 3 bottled waters, Only,thats it!!!! Myth Busters proved the quickest, best way to cool canned beverages was 1 styro foam cooler, ice, water, and lots of table salt and It took 1 hour to cool cans down to 37 degree's!!!! That ought to impress your Dh!!lol!!

http://common.csnstores.com/common/products/MYL/MYL1097_l.jpg

ticktock
05-26-2007, 09:29 PM
We always use our cooler when we stay at the Poly because they have their fridge in a cabinet that isn't properly vented and the fridge doesn't get cold enough. We've had this problem at AKL and the CR too. So don't think your missing out on something staying at a value.;)

MickeyManiac
05-26-2007, 11:59 PM
We used the collapsible rolling cooler as well. It folded small enough to fit in our luggage so no big deal on the plane. It was also nice because you could roll it to the ice machine and back once a day and not have to take several trips to and from the room with the little hotel ice bucket. Quite handy and I plan to use it again next time.

jessica52877
05-27-2007, 10:49 AM
We use a cooler every time we go. We only fill with ice about every day and a half, we keep under the sink, covered with a towel (or next to it if we don't want to pull it out each time). It stays very cold and frozen for a long time. We put all kinds of items inside, just be sure if it is a bag (like pepperoni) that it is sealed well or the water will get inside. Ice machines on every floor by the elevators.

MickeyP
05-27-2007, 01:56 PM
We used the collapsible rolling cooler as well. It folded small enough to fit in our luggage so no big deal on the plane. It was also nice because you could roll it to the ice machine and back once a day and not have to take several trips to and from the room with the little hotel ice bucket. Quite handy and I plan to use it again next time.

Are these from Walmart? and what was the price? I saw an interesting bag there. It had what looked like bubble wrap on it, and the bubbles had water in them. I assume you freeze the entire bag and it keeps things cool.

sameyeyam
05-27-2007, 02:07 PM
Because we were flying in and couldn't really bring a cooler, I bought a couple of those plastic beach bag/purse things from the Dollar Store. Get the kind that are NOT mesh on the side. Punch holes in the bottom to let the water drain out and keep them in the bathtub or sink. We filled them with ice to keep our drinks & milk cold and the ice was still there in the afternoons when we came back from parks. Refilled them in the afternoon with ice from the ice machines, then again before we went to bed. Worked like a charm!! It was a good $2 investment.:thumbsup2

dancin Disney style
05-27-2007, 04:28 PM
You should aways leave your cooler in the bathtub. If the carpet becomes wet there is a chance that you could be billed for damages.

tarheelmjfan
05-27-2007, 04:31 PM
We took a Collapable Cooler on wheels with a Handle we packed it with clothes in 2 gallon zip lock bags going to WDW, then used ziplocks for Ice for cooler. It was big enough to hold 4 gallons of milk. We iced cokes, sandwich meat and fixings, cottage cheese, cheese, bottled water. We were there 10 days in All Star Music. Their refigerators held 4 soda cans and 3 bottled waters, Only,thats it!!!! Myth Busters proved the quickest, best way to cool canned beverages was 1 styro foam cooler, ice, water, and lots of table salt and It took 1 hour to cool cans down to 37 degree's!!!! That ought to impress your Dh!!lol!!

http://common.csnstores.com/common/products/MYL/MYL1097_l.jpg

We have one similar to this, but it leaks really bad. We used it once, then put it away. Do you leave the ice in the zip loc bags? If so, does it keep everything cold? We may try that. :)

MousekaMaddi
05-27-2007, 06:48 PM
had a cooler delivered from garden grocer(who we loved using) and it was $6 for cooler(we gave it to another family when we left):)
Along with dry groceries, we had a gallon OJ and 2 quarts of milk delivered and they were in a cold bag(a silver foldable sack-like-purse=like bag that keeps things cold....)each morning we took this empty silver cooler like bag to ice machines and filled it and dumped it in our cooler, Worked great! We kept cooler in tub and drained it alot. The huge oj was tricky to repack each day but was great to have. Definately get smaller containers so they can be unopened until u need them,buy extra milk as needed. We would definately do this EVERY trip,:cloud9:

dare2dream
05-27-2007, 08:24 PM
We travel with a collapsible cooler to keep milk that we purchase cold for DH. He loves his white lightening.

I line the cooler with a trash bag and place my items and ice in the trash bag in the cooler. I always make sure food in the cooler is in a sealed package or ziplock bag. After the cooler is empty and we are leaving I just throw away the wet trash bag. No leaks for me and cold milk for DH. Everyone is happy.

Brenda

MickeyManiac
05-27-2007, 08:43 PM
Are these from Walmart? and what was the price? I saw an interesting bag there. It had what looked like bubble wrap on it, and the bubbles had water in them. I assume you freeze the entire bag and it keeps things cool.

Ours came from ShopKo and was on sale for $13.00 I saw one at Costco last week that was about $20 (?) and looked really nice. I am thinking about getting it because it has bigger wheels. (easier to roll on grass and rocks) We use this cooler all the time for my son's out of town baseball tournaments. We've never had a problem with leaking.

eeyoregon
06-04-2007, 12:18 AM
Pardon the hi-jacking...trying to spread the word.

If you don't feel like playing the cooler/ice game and a small fridge will meet your needs, check out our fridge swap at the Movies! Save the $10 per day that Disney charges and use our fridge!

We have the following dates still available:

July 14-21 and 27-31
August 5-10 and 18-25
September 1-4
September 16-19
October 8-17
October 24-29
November 9-30 THANKSGIVING!
December 15-22
January 1-6 NEW YEARS!
January 17-31
and so on!!

Let me know if you are interested!!

gina
eeyoregon@aol.com

tink2dw
06-04-2007, 02:40 AM
I got a set, 1 small cooler bag that holds 8 soda cans on the bottom then we pack, other items and blue ice packs, or ziplock bags with ice cubes, over that as cold flows to the bottom of the bag. Then the rolling cooler which has a plastic liner in it, so no leaking. We bought them at sears for $25.00 for the set.

Yes we love the ziplocked ice, as they don't leak and get food wet and icky. I like really cold Diet Coke, so I always pack a ziplock over and around the sides of the cans.

We do alot of car trips And I have been trying to drink 2 bottled water to every diet coke I drink. But the water bottles did not fit well in with soda.

So I found a new cooly bag!! It looks like a purse! It has a good bottom, and looks like this \_/ with a zippered closer and 2 handles, I can fit 6 diet cokes and 6 waters in it with ziplocked ice. But it has that foil liner so items stay much colder. I have packed it for a day trips with just refrigerated cold diet coke and water and no ice and been fine!!

dsanner106
06-04-2007, 09:59 AM
As we generally drive, I bought a 5 day coleman cooler that keeps ice really for a week, and we pack it as we would a piece of luggage, unpack the clothes etc and fill with ice when we get there. would not work for flyers as well, but works for us. On a trip where we did fly, I bought the same sort of cooler for 22.00 filled once with ice for the week. We gave it away when leaving. Much cheaper still than the 70.00 rental on a fridge would have been.

Drew

iluvdisnee
06-04-2007, 10:10 AM
We purchased a Rolling Tote Bag Cooler from QVC. It Folds Flat and holds up to 55Lbs of Food. Its wonderful and worth the 25.00 investment. We take it everywhere! It's gauranteed not to leak, and so far so good!

Kickapoo Joie Juice
06-04-2007, 02:55 PM
We've brought our cooler, but not for that long.

For us an 8 day trip needs a fridge.

You can definitely keep stuff cold by refreshing the ice, and it's not that tough, but after a few days you'll be really annoyed by the need to not forget to change the ice every 6 or so hours.

oh yeah, we keep ours in the bathtub just to make sure it doesn't leak, and it's easy to empty out when it's time to refill the ice. We've even showered around it (oh, I'm so lazy!)

BethR
06-04-2007, 04:23 PM
Our experience has been that we only have to change the ice in the morning and in the evening. And we do use zip lock bags. ::yes:: We use zip lock bags for EVERYTHING! :)

toesmom
06-04-2007, 04:59 PM
dates available:

July 15-30
Nov 8-20
Jan 4-Feb 2, 2008
Feb 19-March 6
March 9-May 25

Interested? send me a pm

Thanks

eeyoregon
06-19-2007, 12:26 AM
FREE fridge still available at All Star Movies!!

July 14-31
August 1-10, 18-20
September 16-19
October 8-17
November 9-30
December 1-8, 15-22
January 1-6
etc.

Keep those drinks nice and cold in the Florida heat!! Our fridge also has the little freezer compartment for ice packs, etc.

foreverprincess
06-19-2007, 07:30 AM
Just FYI - The Disney store has beautiful colapsable coolers on sale for 7.50 right now. They fold down very small. They are dark blue with a light blue island type print. I bought one to take to my trip to the POP in Aug.

gk90
06-19-2007, 08:39 AM

Thanks for the tips! Trying to remember what I learned in science class, how does the table salt work? Do you sprinkle it on the ice?