PDA

View Full Version : Health ?

gilby
05-23-2007, 06:48 AM
Every year for the last 3 years, my son stomach starts to act up, makes him sick to his stomach and hard to eat. It seems like everything will upset his stomach. We have spent thousands in medical bills and have had numerous not so fun tests. trying to figure it out. It always starts in march and goes thru june. Any allergies that could cause this? He is 20, it started when he was 18 and he lost 20 plus pounds. I am just finding it odd it is the same time of year, every year. Any ideas?

mickeyfan2
05-23-2007, 06:56 AM
Is he in college? Is he worried about finals?

Bren's Mom
05-23-2007, 07:08 AM
Allergies is a possibility...but I was thinking there might be a psychological cause too...finals could definitely do it!

gilby
05-23-2007, 07:33 AM
No college works full time. No money problems, we have taught him well.

budbeerlady
05-23-2007, 07:41 AM
I am surprised that it is only for a specific time period. Does his diet change at all in the spring? (Picking morell mushrooms, something else?)

I have developed an allergy or whatever you want to call it to something that is fed/ injected into our cattle. (Another reason I am a vegetarian) If I eat it, I get really bad stomach cramps and feel ughhh for a day or two. Free Range meat I can eat fine, the doctor just told me to avoid it and buy the free range stuff.

angeluna
05-23-2007, 07:43 AM
Well, when my oldest turned 8 we started seeing something like this. Nausea, stomach cramps, but also constipation. The pediatrician said it happened to boys especially as the weather warms up. They don't drink enough water and are more active (his reasoning). Said it's something like irritable bowel syndrome. He told us to have him drink lots of water, stay away from caffeine (probably hard when your 20) and take some sort of fiber every day. We give him a Fibercon tablet twice a day. It helped. The younger son started doing the same thing. Now he's on fiber too! It's made a world of difference for them. Maybe it would help your son. Hope he gets better.

Colinsmom
05-23-2007, 08:53 AM
Lactose intolerance? DH and DS1 have it. With DH, it would build up in his system and then make him very, very ill for a few days about 2-3 times a year; otherwise he'd feel normal. With DS1, he felt yucky as long as he was drinking regular milk and fine if he didn't. Since we've eliminated milk from DH's diet and switched DS1 to lactose-free milk, they have both felt fine.

There is no test for lactose intolerance, but he can eliminate dairy (mostly milk, cheese, yogurt and ice cream) or substitute lactose-free items and see if that helps.

Hedy
05-23-2007, 08:56 AM
Have you checked for migranes? Season migranes can show up around that time, and cause nausea and vomiting.

mrsbornkuntry
05-23-2007, 09:19 AM
Well, when my oldest turned 8 we started seeing something like this. Nausea, stomach cramps, but also constipation. The pediatrician said it happened to boys especially as the weather warms up. They don't drink enough water and are more active (his reasoning). Said it's something like irritable bowel syndrome. He told us to have him drink lots of water, stay away from caffeine (probably hard when your 20) and take some sort of fiber every day. We give him a Fibercon tablet twice a day. It helped. The younger son started doing the same thing. Now he's on fiber too! It's made a world of difference for them. Maybe it would help your son. Hope he gets better.

Wow, I didn't realize how common that was, my 9yo ds is going through this right now, he has missed 4 days of school this week, but it's been going on off and on throughout the school year so I took him to the dr. for it and they did x-rays and said he's very constipated. Right now he has to take Milk of Magnesia every day for two weeks, then go back to the dr. I'm going to start him and my other kids on fibercon and see if it helps.

gilby
05-23-2007, 09:43 AM
I do know he can't drink pop or very little and eat candy it upsets his tummy more. Wow, I am surprised on how this effects boys.

tink_n_pooh
05-23-2007, 10:26 AM
There could be a lot of causes, you might want to check out www.ultraprevention.com it could be caused by some sort of inflammation

smi727
05-23-2007, 10:56 AM
Check out Epstein-Barr (sp?) Virus. It's related to mono. I've had it since jr. year of high school. It comes back every year around the same time for about 4 weeks. I have no appetite, I'm tired, and I just don't feel right.

ZPT1022
05-23-2007, 12:12 PM
has the DR ruled out reflux or GERD ? I ask because I have it and I have a lot of the same things. Miss one dose of meds and I know I'm in trouble

ducklite
05-23-2007, 12:17 PM
Seasonal allergies can cause bad post-nasal drip that is worse at night when he doesn't realize it. (Not to be gross, but at night it can be sliding right down the back of his throat while he's sleeping soundly and he doesn't even know it's happeneing.) Post nasal drip is very upsetting to the stomach. I'd be looking at testing for seasonal allergies, and maybe starting a medication like Singulair or Claritan.

Anne