PDA

View Full Version : OT: 2nd wedding gift

jeepgirl30
05-22-2007, 12:29 PM
We recently got invited to a wedding, it will be the bride's second wedding. We were invited to her first also although as friends of the groom's.

Last year DH was in her younger brother's wedding and so we do know both the bride and groom through a lot of mutual friends.

What is the appropriate gift for a 2nd wedding? We normally do $75 - $100 but I'm thinking this is a bit different. They have been living together for a few years so they have all the household needs covered. I do not believe they even registered anywhere. I was thinking $50?

bellarella
05-22-2007, 12:34 PM
Are you planning on giving cash? Personally I really dislike cash gifts. I'm old school and think it's the thought that counts. I would try to think of a meaningful gift you can afford.

Stucas
05-22-2007, 01:33 PM
Etiquete says if you went to the first wedding and gave a gift you do not give one at the second. That being said give as much as you feel comfortable. Personally I would give a small gift, like $25-$50 or a small item. Maybe even a gift card to their grocery store.

-Lauren

Chris
05-22-2007, 01:43 PM
I'd do either 50.00 cash or a gift card to a restaurant, Home Depot, grocery store etc.

minnierocks
05-22-2007, 01:45 PM
The last time I went to a second wedding...I made a themed gift basket. Both of them love watching movies at home, so I included popcorn, movie candy (in the big boxes), and a gift card for Blockbuster. :goodvibes

branv
05-22-2007, 02:46 PM
I went to a wedding where it was her second and his third. They did not register, but I bought them some really nice champagne and a cute wedding photo album (I know the photographer usually provides one for the professional photo, but every bride ends up with a ton of copies from friends and families photo taking)

dameodie
05-22-2007, 02:58 PM
I'm not a very traditional person. I'm getting married in August. This is my first wedding, but his second, so I'm honestly treating it more like it's a second wedding for both of us.

We have a honeymoon registry set up, and a small Amazon one. But the truth of the matter is that I honestly don't expect anyone to get us anything. If they want to, that's fine, but if they don't feel the need that's fine too. I'm pretty sure though that most people who are invited, with the exception of his immediate family, didn't attend his first wedding. Heck, his one sister didn't even make it because she was teaching in an ESL program overseas. So he's not in a position to double-gift many people.

Do what feels right for you. If either of them complain then that's their problem, not yours!