PDA

View Full Version : holding a table

elemusing
05-22-2007, 10:04 AM
I am listening to the podcast from 5/22 right now about the holding the tables. . .

I don't have a problem with people who are holding a table for a family who is coming to eat. Here is what really gets me: when you assume a family is holding a table and then they get up and leave. When families come in and sit down to "rest in the air conditioning" who aren't eating there! That is very rude.

Alicnwondrln
05-22-2007, 10:37 AM
julie was so funny!
Its one of those things. I usually get the food while DH grabs a table with the 2 kids. I would never go sit somwwhere and take a table to cool off. If I am that hot I got back to my resort for a break.

Tinkerbelle's Mom
05-22-2007, 11:00 AM
I have to say that from my perspective this bothers me. As a single mother to a wonderful six year old I can not send her to a table while I get food. It really annoys me as I wander for a table carrying our food and managing a six year old to see countless people sitting at tables and not eating. Like I said this is just my point of view. To counteract this I try to eat with dd at off times so our chances of actually getting to eat at a table and not on the floor increase.

calypso*a*go-go
05-22-2007, 12:02 PM
Guilty as charged! I always send DH and the kids to get a table while I go order the food. It's not so much about getting a place to sit...it's to get my kids away from me so I can order without them constantly changing their mind or trying to order something we don't want them to have (so basically -- it's for my sanity!). Plus I feel the lines move a lot slower when you have an entire family standing there, not to mention it makes the restaurant look a lot busier than it is.

Tinkerbelle's Mom -- I really hadn't thought about this from your perspective, but as a mom I can understand why you would be upset. If I was in your place and I saw an empty table next to a large family (and they looked nice) I would probably explain to them that you can't leave your daughter alone and ask if one of them would mind sitting at the empty table for a few minutes while you and your daughter order your food. I would do this in a heartbeat if someone asked me to.

mickeyluv'r
05-22-2007, 12:23 PM
Plus I feel the lines move a lot slower when you have an entire family standing there, not to mention it makes the restaurant look a lot busier than it is.

I have to agree with this. We usually go in a party of around nine people, so two or three people get in line, the rest goes to find a table, and then one person comes back to the line to show the food people where to go, and to help carry stuff. I really think this is the best method for everyone in the food court area. I can't imagine trying to have all nine of us in the food line; kids, gear, and all; at the same time. Especially at a place like CHH, where the queues are so small.

Conversely, we clear from our tables as soon as we're done. I have a slight problem with people who linger long after they are done. It's fine during a slow time, but at lunch rush, it's kind of rude. I mean, I'd never single out one family who may be sitting there because someone has a good reason to sit there longer, but when you see lots of folks doing it, you know one of them is not thinking clearly. Certain locations are worse than others. If it's a big food court like SS, then it's usually not as problematic. If it's a small place with only a few tables - like the France pastry shop, then it's more inconsiderate to hog a table.
But overall, I really dont let it bother me. We're all about using our time efficiently. If other folks want to waste time, that's there business. I feel ike there's plenty of down time while I'm waiting in line. Folks waste time sitting in the restaurant make the ride lines shorter for us.

Incidentally, the last time we were at CHH, a CM was preventin folks from getting in line TO ORDER unless their entire party was present. I had never seen that before.

rlduvall
05-22-2007, 02:11 PM
I found today's podcast to be one of the most interesting and entertaining yet.

I have always gone to get a table while DH orders the food. I had NEVER thought about it from another perspective, i.e. single parent with small child - even though I did take my 6 year old alone once. We just got our table after I ordered. I actually see both sides of the coin (even though I know I will continue to go and get a table;) ). Fortunately, we always go during off-season so there has always been lots of tables available. I had never even considered I was taking an empty table from someone who already had food. OOPS!!!!!

Tinkerbelle's Mom
05-23-2007, 01:33 AM
Tinkerbelle's Mom -- I really hadn't thought about this from your perspective, but as a mom I can understand why you would be upset. If I was in your place and I saw an empty table next to a large family (and they looked nice) I would probably explain to them that you can't leave your daughter alone and ask if one of them would mind sitting at the empty table for a few minutes until you can come back with your food. I would do this in a heartbeat if someone asked me to.

Great idea! I had never really thought of that. I will most definately use that in the future.

Like I said it annoys me --- but I expect it to happen! ;) Which is why I do try to eat at off times. This is just one of those things that will always happen and since I plan for it - it really is nothing more than annoyance. :wizard:

Andy B
05-23-2007, 05:27 AM
Firstly I find it interesting that this is a thread based on a pod cast based on a thread.

Secondly if you do not join the line as a whole family you do not still have to take up seats until the food is obtained.

I wonder why where I eat is different from others as it is not uncommon for us to get the food and be wandering trying to find somewhere to sit to eat and no one offers table space as they can see us looking even though they have a spare table, we have even lost tables to people sending scouts in to grab a table even though they see us with food.

I think one of the issues is the difference between the two approaches. If everyone was reserving then fair enough or if eveyone was waiting but some wait many reserve and some can't reserve.

As a statistical point a restaurant must have more tables than diners to satisfy those reserving a table. eg;

If a servery serves 20 meals for 4 in an hour and it takes 15 minutes to eat a meal then you need 5 tables for 4 per hour but if the next 5 groups in a queue reserve a table you now need double the number of tables.

Fredd's Girl
05-23-2007, 03:40 PM
I'm guilty of this, not only at Disney but at home too. I don't see a reason for the whole group to stand in line...especially if there are few tables anyway, and we are patronizing the restaurant. The biggest issue with this that I have seen is at Pecos Bills in the MK. As it is, even if I don't wait in line with DH or family, I'm still walking around the restaurant doing the "stalking" thing, waiting for some family to be done so I can snag the table. That feels kinda awkward anyway...I'm really not staring at you or your family, I'm just trying to judge if you're going to be getting up in the next 30 seconds.

It's just one of the things you deal with I guess. I never saw it as a big deal. I figure that if I don't like dealing with it, I should have made ADR's where my group is guaranteed a table in a timely manner.

DiRTyBuNNy
05-23-2007, 03:49 PM
I guess it all boils down to this...do you think it's more rude to send your significant other (and other members of your party) to go get a table while you order or to be standing behind one person who is going to order while 1-9 people stand in line with them. If you think one of those is rude then the other is rude also. There's no way around it unless you start installing benches for people to sit at while they're waiting for the food to be received so that they can then go get their table.

--Mr. DB

Blue Skies
05-23-2007, 07:45 PM
I don't see the issue with holding a table. :confused3 We do this often at the mall food court, fast food places, etc.

I would rather have people hold a table than extra people standing in line.

MuppetDisneyKrazy
05-23-2007, 07:46 PM
If we were to sit and cool off, we'd buy a drink and cool off. That counts as ok right? I mean we actually purchased something.

raidermatt
05-23-2007, 08:33 PM
Yes, a paying customer is entitled to a table, even if its just a soda. There's no rule, written or otherwise, that you can't sitdown until you actually have your food/drink in your hands. Just like there's no rule that a party of 3 can't take a table for 6 if that's all that's available to them.

Andy B
05-24-2007, 02:55 AM
I guess it all boils down to this...do you think it's more rude to send your significant other (and other members of your party) to go get a table while you order or to be standing behind one person who is going to order while 1-9 people stand in line with them. If you think one of those is rude then the other is rude also. There's no way around it unless you start installing benches for people to sit at while they're waiting for the food to be received so that they can then go get their table.

--Mr. DB

Why do you say if one is rue so is the other? I suspect we are not normally talking about a group of 9 but even then woldn't it be better to be behind 9 people in a line only to find they are one group than 9 people only to find each is ordering for at least two people?

Andy B
05-24-2007, 02:56 AM
I don't see the issue with holding a table. :confused3 We do this often at the mall food court, fast food places, etc.

I would rather have people hold a table than extra people standing in line.

What wrong with them being in line? It is the same number or orders.

raidermatt
05-24-2007, 05:06 AM
What wrong with them being in line? It is the same number or orders.

The counter service ordering/pickup areas are not very big. Since this is only an issue at busy times, those areas will be very crowded. Throw extra people in there and there won't be enough room for people to move past the register once they order. If you (or I) are behind them, we won't be able to even order our food until they receive their's and they work their way out of the area.

Paying customers are entitled to sit at a table if one is available.

Andy B
05-24-2007, 05:14 AM
The counter service ordering/pickup areas are not very big. Since this is only an issue at busy times, those areas will be very crowded. Throw extra people in there and there won't be enough room for people to move past the register once they order. If you (or I) are behind them, we won't be able to even order our food until they receive their's and they work their way out of the area.

Paying customers are entitled to sit at a table if one is available.

I agree with this but it's not allways possible when tables are reserved by those at the back of a 10 minute wait queue to be served.

raidermatt
05-24-2007, 06:19 AM
I understand the frustration when there's no table available. It's happened to all of us. I just don't think its realistic to ask the mom with the 2 and 5 year old to stand against the wall for 10 minutes instead of getting a highchair and getting the kids settled in at a table while dad gets the food.

Tinkerbelle's Mom
05-24-2007, 08:46 PM
I understand the frustration when there's no table available. It's happened to all of us. I just don't think its realistic to ask the mom with the 2 and 5 year old to stand against the wall for 10 minutes instead of getting a highchair and getting the kids settled in at a table while dad gets the food.

What about the mom traveling by herself with the small child? What is she supposed to do when a everyone is holding a table for people who are still in line waiting to order their food? Is it fair to make her and her child wait for a table? :confused3

I have been in this situation many times (and realize that I will be many more as a single mother who likes to travel) and I consider this rude! Not rude enough to ruin a vacation over but rude enough to cause an annoyance. Plus it is difficult to explain to my dd why we have to eat on a curb or bench or the floor when there are people sitting at tables not eating.

raidermatt
05-25-2007, 06:35 AM
It's a societal norm.

If there aren't enough tables at a given time, somebody and their small child are going to have to wait. As long as each is a paying customer, there's nothing unfair about it.

Andy B
05-25-2007, 07:02 AM
It's a societal norm.

If there aren't enough tables at a given time, somebody and their small child are going to have to wait. As long as each is a paying customer, there's nothing unfair about it.

Just because it is a societal norm does not make it polite.

Princess Stitch
05-25-2007, 10:20 AM

I dont' see how this matters. The kids are going to be standing much longer than 10 mintues in lines during the day, so who cares about a small wait at a restaurant? Although, I'd never argue about someone holding a table only 10 minutes since I couldn't sit down, eat and clear the table in that amount of time anyhow.

Now, I've travelled at only two times of the year, August and September. In September we've had minimal table waits. If the place isn't busy and you want to save a table, that's fine by me! It's just me and DBF travelling right now, so we don't really get to reserve tables because we usually need both of us to carry the food!

If it's really busy and there's a 30 minute wait to get food, then you should wait until your family is closer to the front of the line to reserve a table, and here's my reasoning: It takes me and DBF about 15 minutes or so to eat once we get our food.. not too long. If your family just gets into the back of the line and decides to hold a table for 30 minutes, well, that's a table that we could have sat at, eaten at and cleared before the rest of your family came by with the food. If you're only going to be at a table for 5-10 minutes before your food gets there I have no problem.

raidermatt
05-25-2007, 10:47 AM

True, but just because a societal norm doesn't benefit a given individual, that doesn't make it rude either.

If you're only going to be at a table for 5-10 minutes before your food gets there I have no problem.

2 problems with that:

1- That's just your standard. Who is to decide the acceptable length of time for everybody?

2- How exactly does one know how long it will be before you are going to get your food? Now you're asking people to figure that out and try to time it to meet the standard you set.

Really, this is much ado over nothing. Paying customers have the right to sit at a table. Its not rude, and you are never going to convice the vast majority of people that they should stand against a wall and stare at an open table.

jcanter426
05-25-2007, 10:56 AM
We were at Pinocchio's Village Haus in Magic Kingdom in April....we had 4 adults and my daughter who is one. We had a corner booth that probably could have fit one more person......but it was the only table avaliable when we ate. My mother and I got finished eating and went to some gift shops while DH and my dad waited with DD1 to finish eating. She is just learning to eat and it takes her awhile.....a long while.......she plays then she eats, then she plays.....but nothing unusually drastic maybe about 10-15 minutes longer than us. Well after we left my dad and DH were approached and told by several other customers that if they were finished eating they needed to leave. Everyone who was looking for a table was very rude to them, they could not get up and move to a smaller table because by the time a family cleared a smaller table someone else had already sat down. One guy even almost started an altercation with my DH, cursing, and being beligerent.....they finally left....but I felt like my dd has the right to eat also...... Now I am all for reserving seats if you want, I have done it myself......but if you do just be respectful to those still eating.......watching them is understandable......but deciding when they are done eating is another story

Princess Stitch
05-25-2007, 11:04 AM
True, but just because a societal norm doesn't benefit a given individual, that doesn't make it rude either.

2 problems with that:

1- That's just your standard. Who is to decide the acceptable length of time for everybody?

2- How exactly does one know how long it will be before you are going to get your food? Now you're asking people to figure that out and try to time it to meet the standard you set.

Really, this is much ado over nothing. Paying customers have the right to sit at a table. Its not rude, and you are never going to convice the vast majority of people that they should stand against a wall and stare at an open table.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to tell people what to do. Everyone has to do what they feel is right and what is acceptable for their family. Someone may have medical problems and need to sit down, or sensory issues with waiting in line.

I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything.. just giving my opinion since this is a discussion board :goodvibes no need to get nasty and tell me i'm trying to set standards or anything. I understand that some people have to do it. Some people also choose to bring in outside food and sit at a table in a restaurant and take up a table when they haven't actually bought anything there. Everyone has their own standards and own reasons why they do things. I'm just giving my opinion.

Quinn222
05-25-2007, 11:06 AM

If this is such a huge issue for you why don't you make ADRs for lunch? That's what we do and it usually isn't any more costly for us than counter service. In MK a sandwich at the Plaza is enough for two adults. In Epcot we usually use Chefs de France, it's cool and peaceful and not expensive if you order wisely. We tend to splurge and use Brown Derby in MGM. I've found having a peaceful meal in a TS place is really restful and charges our batteries for the rest of the day and there is no stress about finding a table.

Andy B
05-25-2007, 12:16 PM
If this is such a huge issue for you why don't you make ADRs for lunch? That's what we do and it usually isn't any more costly for us than counter service. In MK a sandwich at the Plaza is enough for two adults. In Epcot we usually use Chefs de France, it's cool and peaceful and not expensive if you order wisely. We tend to splurge and use Brown Derby in MGM. I've found having a peaceful meal in a TS place is really restful and charges our batteries for the rest of the day and there is no stress about finding a table.

If it was such a huge issue I would but it isn't, just because I wish to contribute to a discussion why do you have to think it is a huge issue?:confused3

I prefer, actually, a TS dinner not lunch.

DisneyKevin
05-25-2007, 12:36 PM
In our recent podcast, we were asked to discuss threads from the DIS that we thought were interesting. This one caught my eye and bcame part of the show.

I do not believe that there is a right or wrong answer to this debate. I think it all depends on what side you find yourself on. I have been in the position of having to get a table when traveling with someone in a wheelchair. There are not many tables in any location that are "accessible", and carrying trays of food and pushing a chair is difficult at best. I have also found myself in the position of walking through a restaurant with my food and drinks looking for a place to sit.

I find that I am often able find a table that is bigger than what I need and try to make sure that when that happens, that I offer the extra seats to those wandering around.

I think some good old fashioned manners and some basic kindness would make this less of an annoyance.

Kevin

Vijoge
05-25-2007, 12:38 PM
If I was in your place and I saw an empty table next to a large family (and they looked nice) I would probably explain to them that you can't leave your daughter alone and ask if one of them would mind sitting at the empty table for a few minutes until you can come back with your food. I would do this in a heartbeat if someone asked me to.

I think I would be reluctant to leave my child in the care of strangers even if "they looked nice". I know we're at Disney and all but "nice looking" people do bad things every day, everywhere. Please be careful.

jcanter426
05-25-2007, 01:23 PM
I do not think the poster was suggesting leaving your child with a stranger, but rather having a stranger sit at a empty table close by while you and your child got your food.

Vijoge
05-25-2007, 01:29 PM
I do not think the poster was suggesting leaving your child with a stranger, but rather having a stranger sit at a empty table close by while you and your child got your food.

Oh, I misunderstood. I thought the OP meant leave your child at the table with the stranger while you go get food, which concerned me:o . I apologize.

jcanter426
05-25-2007, 01:43 PM
I read it, and thought the same thing......I was like this is crazy.....then I had to think about it for a minute, and figured it out.......I saw that the other poster thought the same thing I did......and I was like.....I am going to post a clarification, so others do not think this is common practice just because it is disney world. You never know someone out there may not think it is as crazy as we do~

calypso*a*go-go
05-25-2007, 02:09 PM
I read it, and thought the same thing......I was like this is crazy.....then I had to think about it for a minute, and figured it out.......I saw that the other poster thought the same thing I did......and I was like.....I am going to post a clarification, so others do not think this is common practice just because it is disney world. You never know someone out there may not think it is as crazy as we do~

Oops -- lost in translation!!! My suggestion was to have someone at the other table just scoot over and hold the empty table for a few minutes while the mom/daughter got their food. FWIW...my kids are both in middle school and I still don't leave them alone at a table!

I think I'll edit my original post. :thumbsup2

Quinn222
05-25-2007, 03:45 PM
If it was such a huge issue I would but it isn't, just because I wish to contribute to a discussion why do you have to think it is a huge issue?:confused3

I prefer, actually, a TS dinner not lunch.

Sorry, you seemed upset about it. We found the table issue to be a problem for us so we do dinner and lunch at TS. We never used to but after paying quite a bit for not very good food and having to stalk a table we gave up on CS most of the time and now do ADRs for lunch and dinner. I just thought it'd be an option for you. Only trying to help.

raidermatt
05-25-2007, 04:18 PM
I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything.. just giving my opinion since this is a discussion board :goodvibes no need to get nasty and tell me i'm trying to set standards or anything.

Truly sorry. I'm comfortable with a more direct writing style and did not mean it to come across as nasty. Like you, just expressing my opinion based on what I see and do.

Maybe it would help if I shared how I look at it when I'm on the other side, like when I'm going to lunch by myself, or have the kids by myself, and don't have the ability to grab a table before getting my food.

I can say in all honesty that it never even occured to me that the group who did grab a table when I couldn't was in anyway being rude to me. Its like when you leave somewhere and one person gets the car and the other the coats. Or at WDW, sending one person to go get the FPs for the group. Or being in line at the grocery store and realizing you forgot something so you go get it while your spouse stays in line. If I'm by myself or just with the kids, I can't do these things, but I don't see it as being rude when somebody else does. Its just a convenience they are in a position to take advantage of while I'm not.

To me, its more rude of me to expect them to leave a table open and try to keep their hungry kids occupied against the wall so that I can have that table in 5 or 10 minutes when I get my food.

Again, this is just how I look at it, but I'd feel like I was expecting the world to revolve around me if I expected others to do that for my benefit. Just to be clear, I'm not saying that anyone who disagrees is championing the "me first" attitude. Like I said, its just how I would feel myself.

Kevin, I wouldn't worry too much about the debate being a little rough on this thread. This is a new board with people posting who aren't familiar with each other, so things will probably get taken the wrong way until things get more, well, familar.

Your comments did remind me though that there are always exceptions to the rule. Similar to getting a seat on the bus. Being first on the bus may give you the right to a seat, but that doesn't mean giving up the seat to someone in greater need isn't the right thing to do.

In this case, we may have the right to grab a table as soon as we walk in, but if we see somebody in a tougher situation it doesn't hurt to help them out.

Tinkerbelle's Mom
05-25-2007, 06:34 PM
While I do find holding the table thing rude it is not that huge of a thing. In grand scheme of things it is really not that important. As the moment when I am carrying a tray full of food, trying to manage a small child, and trying to find a table - that is when I get irked.

DD and I prefer to do TS for dinner so we try to eat at off times to avoid this. We also often will share our table with others since it is only the two of us.

Boardwalker
05-25-2007, 08:18 PM
It seems to me this debate creates a lot of misdirected anger. Maybe the CS restaurants who have inadequate seating for the volume they service should be hearing about it.
Everyone who is in the restaurant is entitled to a seat, for as long as they need it to eat their meal. Is it really up to the patrons to fight for a place to sit and eat?
Yes manners are a wonderful thing, but the restaurant shouldn't depend on the kindness of it's customers, since eating is such a cultural and individual situation.

ericafny
05-25-2007, 09:04 PM
I wanted to put my two cents in here..

DBF and I do this ALL the time. And not just at Disney either, any place that is crowded, I always go and find a table and DBF goes and gets the food. Once when we were at AK, I had gone to grab a table and DBF went to get food. I happen to find a table for 4, but I sat at it anyway, since it was the only table available. Halfway through our meal, I saw a family of 3 looking for a table. I motioned them over and told them if they could find another chair they could share our table with us. In addition, I gave the little boy the toy I had gotten from my kids meal (yes I got a kids meal, I wasn't very hungry...and I am sure this is a whole other controversial thread in and of itself about adults buying kids meals..)

Now, the situation where you have a single parent and a child, I would certainly understand their point of view where they are walking around with a tray of food and a hungry child looking for a table.

I guess there really is no right or wrong here, and either way has its plusses and miuses. What is important is that we all respect one and another and help eachother out every now and then. If you have room at your table, offer it to share with another family. Can't we all just get along??? :hippie:

Princess Stitch
05-25-2007, 10:58 PM
Truly sorry. I'm comfortable with a more direct writing style and did not mean it to come across as nasty. Like you, just expressing my opinion based on what I see and do.

Oh it's not a problem at all. I'm not even upset, I just more wanted to clarify things.... I don't want to sound like I'm telling people to do, it's just hard to get your opinion in here sometimes without coming off like you're trying to preach to people I guess! Still learing the delicacies of the Dis :thumbsup2

I can understand how my first post might have sounded a little bad, just wanted to make sure you know it wasn't what I meant. I also have a feeling alot of my opinions will change if I have kids one day. I'm sure I have a whole different perspective on alot of things then moms and dads do!

Thanks for being so understanding though, I'm so happy that there's so many nice people here :goodvibes

Disney8704
05-26-2007, 08:49 AM
Sometimes I will go and get a table and send DH to get the food and sometimes we both go get food then a table. It all depends on how crowded it is. If its really crowded then I'll go and grab a table and wait for DH to come back with food. I see no problems people getting tables and waiting for someone to return with food. Now I do see a problem people coming in to sit down and relax and not order anything. If your that tired, go back to the resort or go sit on a bench somewhere. If that your hot, there are stores with AC you know and not to mention 3/4 of the rides ARE indoors. One way Disney could fix this problem is to have a rope line from the entrance door all the way to the register, that way people cant just walkin and grab a table and not order anything. Have an exit door where you can only open the door from inside the restraunt. For people wanting to grab a table and another person grab food, have a CM stand at the beginning of the line, tell them they are getting food and ur grabbing a table and they can let you through the rope line.

calypso*a*go-go
05-26-2007, 11:24 AM
In reality it probably isn't that big of a problem, maybe just a few weeks a year or an hour or two a day...all of which could be avoided by changing your timing a bit. Looking back on our various visits to WDW, the only time we felt like we would have a problem getting a table was at POP's food court. We walked in and the place was absolutely crawling with people and you couldn't even tell where the lines for the register ended. We went and looked in the gift shop for about 20 mins. and you would have thought someone pulled a fire alarm or something as the food court/seating area was almost empty! I don't know if there were a lot of people just finishing up or if others took food back to their rooms but we had no trouble finding a table the second time around.

Tinkerbelle's Mom
05-26-2007, 11:37 PM
In reality it probably isn't that big of a problem, maybe just a few weeks a year or an hour or two a day...all of which could be avoided by changing your timing a bit. Looking back on our various visits to WDW, the only time we felt like we would have a problem getting a table was at POP's food court. We walked in and the place was absolutely crawling with people and you couldn't even tell where the lines for the register ended. We went and looked in the gift shop for about 20 mins. and you would have thought someone pulled a fire alarm or something as the food court/seating area was almost empty! I don't know if there were a lot of people just finishing up or if others took food back to their rooms but we had no trouble finding a table the second time around.

I do agree with you that timing is very important. I had heard such bad things about Pops food court before we went last year but in reality dd and I never had a hard time finding a table we had so many to chose from and this was during free dining.

DD and I try to eat at off times if we are doing a CS meal. During the rush times it is near impossible for us to find a table but going a little earlier or later (30-45 minutes) can make all the difference in the world. This is just one of those things that you have to plan on happening.

jamimb
05-27-2007, 12:41 AM
]What about the mom traveling by herself with the small child? What is she supposed to do when a everyone is holding a table for people who are still in line waiting to order their food? Is it fair to make her and her child wait for a table? :confused3

I have been in this situation many times (and realize that I will be many more as a single mother who likes to travel) and I consider this rude! Not rude enough to ruin a vacation over but rude enough to cause an annoyance. Plus it is difficult to explain to my dd why we have to eat on a curb or bench or the floor when there are people sitting at tables not eating.[/QUOTE]

whether or not people "save" tables or not there are still going to be times when a table is not available so whats the difference. The way I see it much more families are less put out if tables are saved. I am however sorry that you have come across this situation before but can you honestly say that if you had other poeple traveling with you that you would make them all stand in line when there is no need for it.

Tinkerbelle's Mom
05-27-2007, 12:12 PM
whether or not people "save" tables or not there are still going to be times when a table is not available so whats the difference. The way I see it much more families are less put out if tables are saved. I am however sorry that you have come across this situation before but can you honestly say that if you had other poeple traveling with you that you would make them all stand in line when there is no need for it.

I travel alone with my dd much more than I travel with people. This summer I am traveling with my sister and her family and they do not eat at CS places, my dbil refuses to. So even though we are traveling with other people we will still run into this problem. So yes I can say even when traveling with other people we still run into this situation. My vacations with my dd are a time for her and I to bond regardless of if we travel with other people. We often go off by ourselves.

So it is okay for less families to be put out and my dd to have to eat on the floor because people are holding tables for families that are still in line waiting to order food? :confused3 I guess this is an instance where we have to agree to disagree because I do find that rude. It is not going to ruin my vacation or anything but it is inconvient (SP) not to mention upsetting to my dd.

Sammie
05-27-2007, 01:24 PM
I can't imagine this is a big deal to anyone in the large scope of things. But since it is being discussed this is the way I see it.

It is no different than a table service restaurant. I go in to eat and I sit at a table prior to getting my food. At counter service I go in and sit at a table and instead of a waiter bringing me my food, someone in my group does.

I agree with the other person that said I would much rather have people waiting at tables then have everyone lined up in the order line, making it move much slower.

Now those that sit at a table simply to rest or bring their own food, I say they need to move on.

jamimb
05-27-2007, 01:51 PM
] am traveling with my sister and her family and they do not eat at CS places, my dbil refuses to. So even though we are traveling with other people we will I travel alone with my dd much more than I travel with people. This summer Istill run into this problem. So yes I can say even when traveling with other people we still run into this situation. My vacations with my dd are a time for her and I to bond regardless of if we travel with other people. We often go off by ourselves.

So it is okay for less families to be put out and my dd to have to eat on the floor because people are holding tables for families that are still in line waiting to order food? :confused3 I guess this is an instance where we have to agree to disagree because I do find that rude. It is not going to ruin my vacation or anything but it is inconvient (SP) not to mention upsetting to my dd.[/QUOTE]

My point was that even if people stopped "saving" tables you would still encounter this problem occasionally so instead of making my little ones wait in line I will continue to have my dh and them sit down while I order. even if everyone stopped this practice of saving tables you would still not be able to find a seat sometimes . This way the line will move much faster ans we can eat and be on our way that much quicker.

Tinkerbelle's Mom
05-27-2007, 09:08 PM
My point was that even if people stopped "saving" tables you would still encounter this problem occasionally so instead of making my little ones wait in line I will continue to have my dh and them sit down while I order. even if everyone stopped this practice of saving tables you would still not be able to find a seat sometimes . This way the line will move much faster ans we can eat and be on our way that much quicker.

I am not sure why my posts on this thread have been such an issue. All I have simply tried to say that I find this rude - especially when my dd and I have no where to sit and end up eating on the floor. I do not expect this practice to end. In fact as I have said before I try to plan around having this happen.

But in all honestly would you not consider it rude if you, your dh, and kids had to eat on the floor while people at a table near by with no food sat and thier food had still not arrived by the time you got up from eating on the floor? I am sure you would.

I am not condoning anyone fom doing this, I plan on this happening and try to avoid it by eating at CS resturants at off times but I still think that it is rude and I am sure I am not the only one. Does it ruin my vacation - nope it would take a lot more than that. Am I upset in my posts - nope I am simply stating my opinion from my point of view on a discussion board.

raidermatt
05-29-2007, 04:20 PM
But in all honestly would you not consider it rude if you, your dh, and kids had to eat on the floor while people at a table near by with no food sat and thier food had still not arrived by the time you got up from eating on the floor? I am sure you would.

What most are saying is that no, they don't consider it rude. It's just the luck of the draw. In the scenario you describe, there simply aren't enough tables and apparently none become available in a reasonable amount of time, so you sit on the floor. In that scencario, SOMEBODY is going to end up eating on the floor because there simply aren't enough tables to go around.

Given the size of the counter service eateries in WDW, it's rare that a table does not open up within a couple of minutes, so there is rarely a need to sit on the floor.

If you really have been in situations at WDW where 5-10 minutes go by and nobody leaves a table, that is unfortunate. But as another poster said, the real issue in that case is insufficient seating and you would certainly not be alone on the floor as there would certainly be many others unable to find a table as well.

brymolmom
05-29-2007, 04:32 PM
I've done it numerous times when dh is there with us.

To the pp's who were solo adult with kid(s) - I've done that too. Good thing CS meals have so many tables! All I did in this situation is find a table (waited on the sidelines for 5 or so minutes until I saw a family finish up at one of the few particular tables I wanted) that is right near the ordering line. I put my kids (3 and 4) at that table and then was in line practically right next to them - so I could watch them and talk to them the whole time (so no one thought that they were abandoned or that I was a bad parent for leaving them alone - they weren't - I was right there). This worked great for us. Just a suggestion for you who find yourself in this situation down the road.

DisneyKevin
05-29-2007, 04:40 PM
We eat in a very popular seafood restuarant in Orlando.

Everyone waits in line to order their food. No one is allowed to sit at a table until your order has been placed and paid.

Once the tables fill, they stop taking orders until a table opens. Only then, is another order taken.

This way no one gets their food until they have a place to sit.

Andy B
05-29-2007, 04:43 PM
We eat in a very popular seafood restuarant in Orlando.

Everyone waits in line to order their food. No one is allowed to sit at a table until your order has been placed and paid.

Once the tables fill, they stop taking orders until a table opens. Only then is another order taken.

This way no one gets their food until they have a place to sit.

See it can be done!

raidermatt
05-29-2007, 08:11 PM
Sure it can be done, but it has to be a matter of policy, not politeness. I will say that I'd hate to be the guy tasked with designing and implementing such a system at a place like Cosmic Ray's or Pecos Bill's. They would be hard pressed to actually solve more problems than they create without increasing expenses. I can't even begin to imagine how you would monitor each table in a place like that and deal with the multiple register/station setup, but anything is possible.

Tinkerbelle's Mom
05-29-2007, 09:17 PM
What most are saying is that no, they don't consider it rude. It's just the luck of the draw. In the scenario you describe, there simply aren't enough tables and apparently none become available in a reasonable amount of time, so you sit on the floor. In that scencario, SOMEBODY is going to end up eating on the floor because there simply aren't enough tables to go around.

Given the size of the counter service eateries in WDW, it's rare that a table does not open up within a couple of minutes, so there is rarely a need to sit on the floor.

If you really have been in situations at WDW where 5-10 minutes go by and nobody leaves a table, that is unfortunate. But as another poster said, the real issue in that case is insufficient seating and you would certainly not be alone on the floor as there would certainly be many others unable to find a table as well.

In the scencario I described there were enough tables for the people who had ordered food - there were just people sitting there waiting for thier party to order food. That is what I consider rude. When a CS resturant is crowded yes the tables will be full and I understand that which is why I try to avoid eating at CS places at the rush times of the day. It is rude when people sit at a table for well over 20 minutes waiting for food when someone else could have used that table and been done with it long before thier food arrived.

I would never expect the people who grab tables like this to say it is rude or to even agree with me. People will very rarely admit that one of thier own behaviors is rude - goes agains human nature. Which is why most of the people here will say that no it is not rude or that it is simply the luck of the draw.

raidermatt
05-30-2007, 05:42 AM
I would never expect the people who grab tables like this to say it is rude or to even agree with me. People will very rarely admit that one of thier own behaviors is rude - goes agains human nature. Which is why most of the people here will say that no it is not rude or that it is simply the luck of the draw.

Well, either that or it's not rude.

Clearly a difference of opinion on that, but reasonable people can agree to disagree.

djblu883
05-30-2007, 06:52 AM
from what I saw of this thread and I didn't read from page one ....I'll put in my 2 cents as well...I have to say saving a table is not rude i think its smart and considerate to have your family wait at a table so only one person stands in line...kids don't go into melt down with yet another line and rest time is added in for a bonus...and its easier for the family all around....as a single Mom who has done the parks I have no problem with seeing families doing it and understand it perfectly....and I'd just wait until I saw a table open up and let my child munch on a fry or 2 while waiting before I'd sit on the floor....lines and waiting are all a part of a trip to WDW

Tinkerbelle's Mom
05-30-2007, 10:11 AM
Well, either that or it's not rude.

Clearly a difference of opinion on that, but reasonable people can agree to disagree.

Which has been the point I have been trying to make. We can all have different opinions - which is what I think make these boards interesting. It is okay for people to think that this is not rude and it is okay for me to think it is rude.

Disneybridein2k3
06-25-2007, 08:24 AM
Had to bring this one up again - 2 weeks ago we were in the Magic Kingdom and while I was waiting in line at Pecos Bills w/ DH and DD1, I sent DD13 off to find a table. She came back to me in tears - she found a table (she was sitting at the table and had her purse sitting on the table) when a woman came to the table and without even saying anything, she pushed DD13's purse off the table and proceded to sit down with her trays! Of course at this point, DH went with her but didn't confront the offender because I really didn't want to get kicked out of MK that day! We ended up at another table but I just wanted to put it out there of what could happen if you have one of your kids hold a table!

Tinkerbelle's Mom
06-25-2007, 09:50 AM
Had to bring this one up again - 2 weeks ago we were in the Magic Kingdom and while I was waiting in line at Pecos Bills w/ DH and DD1, I sent DD13 off to find a table. She came back to me in tears - she found a table (she was sitting at the table and had her purse sitting on the table) when a woman came to the table and without even saying anything, she pushed DD13's purse off the table and proceded to sit down with her trays! Of course at this point, DH went with her but didn't confront the offender because I really didn't want to get kicked out of MK that day! We ended up at another table but I just wanted to put it out there of what could happen if you have one of your kids hold a table!

Okay, while I have been on the "side" against table holding there is no way I can agree with that woman's behavior. :scared1: She was very rude!!! I would never go to any such lengths it is simply not necessary to behave like that. I am sorry that it happened!

pasgt21
06-27-2007, 06:58 AM
Well, so far this trip we have not had to send the DD to grab a table .. seems more and more people are Disney PC this year ... or Im just lucky. Oh yeah .. Posting from BWV .. off to Ak today

starwood
06-27-2007, 08:20 AM
I have more of a problem with people who get up and leave their garbage on the table than someone who is saving a table while one person gets the food order.