PDA

View Full Version : OT: Home Insurance Vent

JoiseyMom
05-21-2007, 06:18 PM
OMG. We are currently insured with Chubb, a great company, but they went up 400.00 this year to 2800!!! I was paying 1700 in 2002, this was just too much. We have a standard policy with a 3 mil umbrella policy.

Well trying to find a new company is getting frustrating, all because of our dog. We have an 11 year old chow mix. Chow's are on the no no list. I can't even fib about him being a Chow, because he has a Chow coat, and the black tongue. This dog has been with us since he was 3 months old. He has grown up with 4 kids, 2 of them from infancy, and he has never harmed them. He wouldn't even take food that my toddlers dropped on the floor. He is so good with my kids. Never growled at them, just would get up and walk away.

Now, if you were a stranger and tried to get into my house, well, all bets would be off.

I have had 2 agents and they have checked 3 companies and all say no because of a family pet that has NEVER harmed anyone.

I am SOOOOO PO"ED!!!! If I didn't have my dog, I could save 1100.00 with another company. I WILL NOT GET RID OF MY DOG!! :scared1:

Vent over...

tx...

MickeyMickey
05-21-2007, 06:36 PM
No offense but if you chose to have the dog, you have to pay the price. You are a higher liability then someone without the dog.

snomofinn
05-21-2007, 06:38 PM
Were insured with State Farm and we pay 568.00 per year, they never asked if I had a dog... That's strange

mrsstats
05-21-2007, 06:55 PM
From what I understand, State Farm does not have a list of dogs they wont write. Why not try them.

Toby'sFriend
05-21-2007, 07:03 PM
I really wonder sometimes how all you people on the east coast can afford it.

You all must make $300,000 a year or something because it seems like everything is at least 3 times as expensive as Illinois.

out homeowner's insurance is around $750 a year with a liability umbrella for the pool. Nobody has ever asked about our dogs.

StitchandPooh'sMom
05-21-2007, 07:27 PM
Our homeowner's insurance went up 43% this year. We didn't change anything - we just live too close to the coast for the insurer's comfort! We didn't make any improvements, add a dog or trampoline, or make any claims. Several companies will not even cover us since we are within 5 miles of a waterway, although we are not in a flood zone.

Sorry you can't get cheaper coverage. It does seem unfair to charge more for dogs that have not had any claims against them, but I guess it is all probability with them. Same with us I guess - they're anticipating the next big hurricane!

Friendly Frog
05-21-2007, 07:58 PM
I don't know what the value of your home is, but I am guessing by your location that it is probably more expensive than ours. ( You can pm me if you want to compare) and we pay what you do and only have a one mil umbrella. Of course Texas is known for high insurance rates.

ldb1030
05-21-2007, 08:05 PM
Were insured with State Farm and we pay 568.00 per year, they never asked if I had a dog... That's strange

That's what I was thinking! We switched last summer from Travlers to Farmers because Travelers wanted several hundred dollars more.......they could not give me an explanation either! Just said "well, everyone's is going up"! :mad: Not a good enough answer for me so I switched! Gave the 1st agent the option to try and find me something less (which I knew was out there) but she did not want to do the work I guess!

I can't recall any insurance company ever asking about pets though!:confused3

Homer Simpson
05-21-2007, 08:15 PM
Try another insurance company... this month's issue of Smart Money magazine has a short piece about Chubb. Basically they cater to mostly very wealthy clients and their rates are higher than most other companies. They write a lot of unusual policies like kidnap/ransom insurance.

rflorek
05-21-2007, 08:24 PM
A link to an old BankRate article about homeowners insurance and dog breeds:

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/insurance/dog-policies1.asp

JoiseyMom
05-21-2007, 10:13 PM
Try another insurance company... this month's issue of Smart Money magazine has a short piece about Chubb. Basically they cater to mostly very wealthy clients and their rates are higher than most other companies. They write a lot of unusual policies like kidnap/ransom insurance.

My first broker, that sold us Chubb, has 2 other companies, and neither one will sell us a policy because of my dog. The other broker is having the same problem.

JoiseyMom
05-21-2007, 10:23 PM

Umm...that's what my vent is about. I have 2 agents trying to find me other coverage, and they won't cover us because of the dog.

StephMK
05-21-2007, 10:28 PM
Yikes, that's a huge increase!! I would think there has to be limits on how much they can increase in a renewal but maybe not. Try another broker & try some captive agencies. I know dogs can be an issue but if you keep looking, I don't think they all ask. Good luck & let us know who you find.

ExPirateShopGirl
05-21-2007, 10:43 PM
Umm...that's what my vent is about. I have 2 agents trying to find me other coverage, and they won't cover us because of the dog.

Dog owners are strictly liable for their animal's actions. Statistically, certain breeds are more aggressive and cause more injuries than other breeds, and insurance companies target them for increased premiums. The increase will deter some homeowners from keeping a dog of that breed and help pay for the collective risk of all aggressive animals. No matter how sweet your pet may be, they can't take your assurance he or she wouldn't hurt a fly.

As for the gal who said her homeowner's insurance company didn't ask her about dogs... read your policy. Somewhere in the fine fine fine print you agreed to provide them that information. Should you have a pet that causes injury to a person, they could deny liability coverage (aren't they always looking?)

To the OP... enjoy your pet. He won't be around forever... and good luck finding a bargain. AAA does have a list of aggressive non-covered breeds, Chow included

:(

aubriee
05-22-2007, 02:18 AM
A link to an old BankRate article about homeowners insurance and dog breeds:

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/insurance/dog-policies1.asp

That's strange! I bought a new house Jan '06. I shopped around for my home insurance and round up changing companies. Several agencies I checked with asked if I had a 'large dog'. At the time I told them no, because all I had was my little schih tzu. I did not tell them I was planning on getting a guard dog, after I moved in. This past January, when my insurance bill came in, I got nervous and went to my agent's office to tell them I had gotten an Akita and asked if I needed to pay more for my insurance. They said an Akita was not on their bad dog list and that I would be covered if he bit someone as long as I had 'taken all reasonable measures'. In other words if I did not open my front door and sic him on someone and as long as my backyard fence stayed in good shape. According to the list above, Akitas are first on the 'bad dog list', which I can understand, because Niko while a wonderful dog would seriously hurt anyone who came on my property. He has been to two obedience schools and is well trained, but is very protective.

By the way, I have MetLife and only pay about $750.00/year for insurance on my two year old 4 BR/2Bath brick house. However, I get discounts because I also have my car insurance with them, plus I get discounts due to the age of my house, fire extinquishers, smoke alarms, being right across the street from a fire hydrant, two blocks from a fire station, sprinkler system, home security system, etc.

Homer Simpson
05-22-2007, 06:23 AM

Ummm... I was just suggesting for you to try another insurance company - your original post stated that you have tried only 3 companies. There have to literally be hundreds of companies that sell insurance in NJ.

Good Luck :thumbsup2

Rob R
05-22-2007, 06:52 AM
wow that stinks. one more reason i don't want a dog. DW wants one terribly, i can't stand them!!! to each his own.

side note about state farm: we had them for HO, and so did FIL/MIL well, one day they got a call from our agent explaining the next bill--it was going to just about double. (we live in the midwest, this was before katrina etal.)

i called up the agent and cancelled. bu-bye. we pay under a grand a year including a 1mil umbrella.

rob

missymagic
05-22-2007, 07:16 AM
My agent has never asked about any pets either. I am with Nationwide Ins. Have a 3200 sq ft house w/ inground pool and I pay 1600 and a 1 mil umbrella and that is 160 a year. I am in PA.

Good luck with the ins hunting. Do the agents come out and ask you if you have any p;ets??? I was curious since I was never asked.

Colinsmom
05-22-2007, 09:11 AM
When I purchase a homeowner's policy, I've always been asked if I have a dog, and if so, what breed. We've always had Labradors (as many as 3 at a time), so it hasn't been a problem with the companies, but now we have a mutt (greyhound/lab mix, still should be okay).

We've used Allstate, Nationwide, AIG and Travelers (plus one more whose name is slipping my mind at the moment) over the years.

ducklite
05-22-2007, 09:36 AM
State Farm might write you for a lower premium, but if you ever have a claim you'll be regretting ever leaving Chubb.

Anne

JoiseyMom
05-22-2007, 02:51 PM
State Farm might write you for a lower premium, but if you ever have a claim you'll be regretting ever leaving Chubb.

Anne

This is what I have been hearing. I know that Chubb is a great great company. When the agent that sold it to me said that her company wasn't going to be representing them anymore, I asked her if I should follow her or stick to Chubb, and she said stick to Chubb. My current agent said if we raise our deductible to 2500, my premium will come down about 300 this year. I am thinking of going that route. It just seems like the coverage, and the customer service from Chubb is just that much better than any of the other companies.

I do think I am going to write my assembly person, and tell them that NJ needs a bill to stop insurance companies from doing this to people who have dogs. This is insane. I mean my dog is a mutt, he is part Chow, how much Chow is supposed to be dangerous?? How many people know exactly what dogs are in their mutts??

Sigh, thanks for all the input guys!!

mickeyfan2
05-22-2007, 02:53 PM

Anne

We have SF and have never had a problem. They have paid off on our two lightening strikes.

ldb1030
05-22-2007, 02:58 PM
We have SF and have never had a problem. They have paid off on our two lightening strikes.

Can I ask if they raised your premium after you made the claims?? Seems car insurance companies like to do that! Damned it you do and damned if you don'!:mad:

mickeyfan2
05-22-2007, 02:59 PM
Can I ask if they raised your premium after you made the claims?? Seems car insurance companies like to do that! Damned it you do and damned if you don'!:mad:

Nope.