PDA

View Full Version : OT- I am quitting my job after 1 day

DKx3
05-21-2007, 05:16 PM
Has anyone out there quit a job after just one day? I am about to do just that...it's a long story...just wanted to hear some stories.

tacomaranch
05-21-2007, 05:26 PM
Yes! I interviewed in a nice office but when I started it was in an office that was upstairs of a garage. It smelled and was dirty. I just walked in and walked out.

NeedaVacation03
05-21-2007, 05:32 PM
I have done with also. I went in for the first day at a bulk mailing company and hated it. It was loud and it was a very rigid environment. I couldnt take it. I finished the day and told them I would never be back. I have never missed it. I hope it all works out for you.:hug:

Stein
05-21-2007, 05:36 PM
I did it once, it just wasn't going to work, so why try to pretend?

chop456
05-21-2007, 05:46 PM
A long while back I took a job in retail and could not stand the pressure of having to ring so much $$ per hour. Left after I finished my shift, called my boss and quit.

Littlemotherhaywood
05-21-2007, 05:52 PM
Technically it was the second day for me. I got a job working sixteen hours/paid for twenty as a telemarketer. I worked the first weekend and then found myself horribly sick at the thought of going back......so I didn't. It's too bad because the money was pretty good for the time.

lisajl
05-21-2007, 06:04 PM
Me too, it was at Krogers. Could not stand it after one day!
Lisa

annsteere
05-21-2007, 06:09 PM
One night.

It was a baking pan manufacturer and my job was to count 100 pans out, put a label inside each one, bag them in a big plastic sack and then repeat. The only one of the long-termers who would smile back at the new college kid had no teeth. It stained my hands black. I was getting an engagement ring the next week and knew I'd want my hands to be ready to show it off. . .

shelemm
05-21-2007, 06:22 PM
I advise against using them as a reference.

You didn't ask for severance pay, did you?

kors
05-21-2007, 07:19 PM
Annsteere,
Was that job in Woodridge? It sounds like a place off of 355!!

OhioGrumpyGirl
05-21-2007, 07:24 PM
I think just about everyone has done it at one time or another. You need to do what is right for you no matter what anyone else says!!! Good luck!

coolbeans
05-21-2007, 08:31 PM
I have!! I worked as a cashier at a local grocery store for one night, literally 4hours. I wanted something part time and close to home, I thought it would be perfect. My full time job requires me to be nice, neat, no foul language etc (bank representative).. after a few minutes listening to the other cashiers I knew I had to get out!! I did finish the shift and tell the manager why I wouldn't be back.

DKx3
05-21-2007, 08:33 PM
Thanks for all your responses, I feel much better now that I called in and told them I wouldn't be back.

I was hired at a local public school preschool for a regular ed classroom aide. When I signed the letter of intent, they switched the title to one to one aide - still thinking a regular ed inclusion class. When I arrived this morning it was for severely developmentally delayed and handicapped students who require diapering... I am glad there are people who can do that type of work, but I am not one of them. I just couldn't believe they didn't think it appropriate to mention this to me before I walked in this morning. It was like bait and switch! Anyway, I guess I can't list this school as experience or reference, lol. What a day!

writersblock42
05-21-2007, 08:37 PM
I have never had a job for less than a day, but I did have a job for only a week once. I was working as a paralegal for a law firm in Baltimore. I was told that I would be doing worker's compensation, but in addition to worker's compensation, the guy defended wife beaters. I had a huge office but the guy was a screamer too and I had to work long hours and hated the hours but he thought that it was great 10am-6 or 7pm. He did give me free baseball tickets and the pay was good. Probably now I would have stayed working for him. Instead, I went back to school and in the long run it was the better decision.

Leader of the Club
05-21-2007, 08:43 PM
I have left two jobs after one day (or less!). If it doesn't work for you, do not make yourself miserable!

luvtogo12
05-21-2007, 08:46 PM
Guilty. I worked one day as a waitress when I was 15. I never went back. People were rude. :confused3
My boss yelled at me in front of all the customers because I overcharged an elderly couple by a nickle. I was 15, it was my first job and I was scared.

happygirl
05-21-2007, 08:49 PM
No, I would give two weeks notice no matter how bad I hated a place

me again
05-21-2007, 09:08 PM
Others might say you can't judge a job in a day, but sometimes you can. Don't let people make you feel guilty by quitting after one day by saying you're lazy, not motivated, etc. If you were you wouldn't be trying to work in the first place.

I would say in most cases to give it a shot, at least two weeks, but sometimes you know better. You're the one going to the job. If you really feel its not for you, quit and don't look back. Actually if you try to stick it out you will end up putting up with an intolerable situation. Its amazing what we can get used to. My first job out of college was horrible, I wanted to quit the first day, but was talked into giving it a try. Well, it didn't get any better but I just learned to tolerate it. I ended up working there 3.5 years and hating every minute of it. My health suffered, my social life suffered, my family life suffered, all for a job I detested. Go with your gut--unless you need the money and don't have anything to fall back on like family and savings just quit. Also working at a job you hate makes it harder to find a good job because your energy is drained, I just lived for my days off then slept all day. When your whole psyche is down it projects when you try to interview for another job, assuming you can gather up the emotional strength to do so and nobody wants a downer for a new hire. I was finally laid off from my nightmare job, got another job for 20% less, never missed the difference in pay because I was happy at my new job. Good luck!:grouphug:

NeedaVacation03
05-21-2007, 09:17 PM

I know that I would not want to continue to train someone to do a job that they were leaving in 2 weeks nor would I want to continue to pay them. After just one day I would rather them just be honest and quit. Sometimes it just isn't the right mix. I think that it is nice that you would offer the two weeks, but if it isn't right it isn't right.

happygirl
05-21-2007, 09:29 PM
I know that I would not want to continue to train someone to do a job that they were leaving in 2 weeks nor would I want to continue to pay them. After just one day I would rather them just be honest and quit. Sometimes it just isn't the right mix. I think that it is nice that you would offer the two weeks, but if it isn't right it isn't right. I sitll wouldn't leave anyone short handed

momof2inPA
05-21-2007, 09:33 PM
Thanks for all your responses, I feel much better now that I called in and told them I wouldn't be back.

I was hired at a local public school preschool for a regular ed classroom aide. When I signed the letter of intent, they switched the title to one to one aide - still thinking a regular ed inclusion class. When I arrived this morning it was for severely developmentally delayed and handicapped students who require diapering... I am glad there are people who can do that type of work, but I am not one of them. I just couldn't believe they didn't think it appropriate to mention this to me before I walked in this morning. It was like bait and switch! Anyway, I guess I can't list this school as experience or reference, lol. What a day!

That's not right. I don't blame you for quitting. Hope you find another job, soon.

Hedy
05-21-2007, 09:38 PM
Honestly, esp. as there are kids involved, I'd say that quitting now would be better than staying on two weeks and having them get used to you.

DKx3
05-21-2007, 09:45 PM
Luckily, I am not leaving them short handed, except by the state guidelines. There are 4 adults (not counting me) for 11 children if they are all present, which I sensed that it doesn't happen often. One diaper or potty turn is too many for me and I would have never taken the job had I been honestly told what it entailed. Oh well, live and learn.

rhiansmom
05-21-2007, 09:49 PM
I am a HR professional and If I had an employee who started today and gave me a two week notice I would send them home and tell them not to come back. It is not cost effective to train someone knowing they are not going to be here in 2 weeks. I'd much rather they tell me that day that they aren't cut out for the job then lie.

HOWEVER, I use this exact same reason for a realistic job preview for everyone I hire. I tell my supervisors NOT to paint the job as roses if it really is thorns.

angwill
05-21-2007, 09:54 PM
That is sad that they would not disclose the situation to you. I am someone who has worked in a life skills class with severely disabled children and teens. That situation is totally different than a regular classroom aide who works with special needs children which I have done as well. Not everyone is cut out for that type of work and that is ok. I have never not been told about the child or children I would work with (of course you don't know the name of the child till you work with them) and their needs. They have to know that you are the right fit for the child who should be put first and with someone who has a desire to do that job. Good for you quitting maybe that will make them understand that they need to disclose that information next time they interview a person. Don't feel bad at all you did the right thing in my opinion.

branv
05-21-2007, 10:51 PM
I used to be an HR'r too, and I agree - I would never let you stay for 2 weeks. You become a possible liability actually. It's one thing to have someone who's been with a job for a while simply find a better opportunity and make a good faith effort to give you a chance to a) backfill their position and b) train their replacement - they are likely friendly with coworkers and want to act fairly. But if you've only been there 1 day, what reason would you have to really care what kind of job you do in that 2 weeks?

In your case, especially, you owe the school nothing. They misrepresented the position, period. That you are not a good match is their fault, not yours. Ethics is a two way street with employment. You are under no moral obligation to stay.

BTW: the line I hate worst from interviewers is "we're like a family here." Funny how EVERYONE says it but fails to mention it's usually a family that desperately needs counseling.

StephMK
05-21-2007, 11:24 PM
BTW: the line I hate worst from interviewers is "we're like a family here." Funny how EVERYONE says it but fails to mention it's usually a family that desperately needs counseling.

OMG, that is the best line!!:rotfl: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :lmao:

Yes, I've quit more than 1 job after a day. The most memorable was a job in college I took w/a friend. I don't remember if there was even an interview, I think he just told us to show up for work & gave us an address. It was for telemarketing & it was this horribly scruffy guy w/ a few tables set up working out of a low budget hotel room. There were a few other people there so we worked our shift, left & never looked back! Today I would be horrified to think my DD would ever even walk into a situation like that. :scared1: :laughing:

Most recent was as a greeter for a funeral home. Good hours, flexible, nice pay & close to home. The bodies didn't get to me, it was the grief that did me in. I knew as soon as I saw the first viewing that I couldn't take all the sadness of watching the mourners. Finished my shift, offered to keep the others & they nicely let me go with just working 1 that they needed coverage.

That wasn't fair of them & not fair to the kids to put someone in the position without letting you know what you were in for. In certain situations, it's just better to cut the losses & get out early if you know it's not right.

fan_of_small_world
05-21-2007, 11:58 PM
Former HR generalist, current recruiter here. The school was incredibly irresponsible in their actions. One of my HR positions was with a non-profit that provided services to people with developmental disabilities. Believe me, I was VERY clear with applicants about what would be involved. To do anything less would have been unfair to both the candidate as well as the organization and residents.

You did nothing wrong in deciding that your first day would also be your last day. I'd have done the same thing. Like you, I have the utmost respect and admiration for the people who can do that type of job, they really are angels, but I couldn't do that job.

fan_of_small_world
05-21-2007, 11:59 PM
the line I hate worst from interviewers is "we're like a family here." Funny how EVERYONE says it but fails to mention it's usually a family that desperately needs counseling.

:rotfl:

May I borrow that, please?

me again
05-22-2007, 12:02 AM
There's been some responses fro HR people here to the effect that they would rather see a person just quit than give 2 week notice because of the costs of hiring, training, etc. While I can see their point, they should consider that the OP was, essentially lied to. Realistically, she should get compensation for her time! After all, she went into a job unclear (through no fault of her own) about the expectations. Well, there's expenses on the employees part as well as the employer's. The employee spent gas, parking, etc, perhaps a uniform, also, what about the oppoturnity cost--that is, what about possible jobs she turned down in favor of this one?

Of course, its unrealistic to expect that an employer would actually compensate an employee who had wasted her time because she was lied to, but it works both ways. The hiring company wasn't the only one who lost in this deal, maybe next time they won't try to trick an employee into working for them!

RNMOM
05-22-2007, 12:10 AM
I wanted to leave my second job the first day but was talked out of it by my husband. I remained miserably for 3 months and was finally "let go" just before my probationary period was up. I learned to always listen to my inner voice. If you feel you should quit, do so. If you are asked about it in a future interview, which you won't, just tell them the truth. You knew it was wrong for you and felt it best.

fan_of_small_world
05-22-2007, 12:11 AM
Without a contract, there probably isn't much that the OP could claim was misrepresented. People aren't guaranteed jobs, and they certainly aren't guaranteed a specific job within the company.

How about this example? DH and I actually sold our house and moved across the country for him to start at a new company. Two days before his start date the company told him the position was eliminated. We spoke with a lawyer, and there was no legal recourse. Luckily, the company did quite a few things to try and mitigate the awful circumstances they put us in, and in the long run we made out OK.

All that being said, I will repeat what I said earlier...basically that the school was completely irresponsible in their actions, both to the OP and the students.

PatMcDuck
05-22-2007, 12:55 AM
I have not quit in a day, but I work in a pediaticians office, and when we hire for the front desk we often loose people after just a day! Our phones ring off the hook most of the day, and the office manager is, well, annoying at times.

At the Disneystore, we also lost people after a day/ all the RULES, for low pay, they would freak out.

juligrl
05-22-2007, 01:02 AM
My husband did, quite a few times! In fact, before he met me he was becoming a regular at quitting after just one day!

I left from a training session for a new job after just one day - I wasn't ready to leave my baby to go back to work yet. Still not really.

DKx3
05-22-2007, 07:04 AM
Thanks for all your great responses. It's giving me the backbone to go and discuss the resignation in person w/ the HR admin this morning. I believe that I am going to write a letter to the superintendant as well. I'll post how it goes. Thanks!

lastminutemom
05-22-2007, 07:08 AM

In February of this year, the school system moved my child's para-pro (classroom aide) from a regular classroom to a classroom like the OP was describing. She could have quit, as that level of staff doesn't have binding contracts -- but she is single and has to pay her bills. But she has found another job for next year....

Microcell
05-22-2007, 07:40 AM

They wouldn't take it after 1 day on the job! Why would they bother training you? It would only be a liability to try to keep you from messing up too bad, but not taking the time to train you officially. If you are going to quit after one day, do them a favor and just let them know it didn't work out.

Todd&Copper
05-22-2007, 08:39 AM
DH quit a job after about 3 hours there. He was hired as a customer contract manager for some company, which he thought meant he would handle specific questions and sales spitches to existing customers of the company. Well, when he arrived, he was told that ALL employees must first work in the [lowest] customer service branch and try to solicit new customers for their product/service at local malls. OK, he wasn't thrilled abou that, but they told him he'd only have to do it for 4 weeks before he had a chance to advance to a contract rep. He went to the mall with a woman who was supposed to show him the ropes. She handled the first 2 inquiries at their booth, and then told him to handle the next one. As soon as he was done with the potential customer, she squaked at him for 20 minutes about how how did it wrong - without actually telling him how to do it correctly. Then it came out that she had been in that job for 5 years and she was sick of new people coming in and getting jobs before she did. DH had had enough, called the boss, and said he just didn't think it was going to work out, and had to take a taxi back tot he office for his car (taxi fare = $50, paid by the company). Oh, and the "sales team" did some kind of group cheer/self-affirmation exercise before they all went out to their mall posts, so he had already had a feeling that he wouldn't like that job. We laugh about it now, but he was pretty p.o.'d that he was lied to about the job.

mabenoab
05-22-2007, 08:51 AM
Wow! You've got company! I interviewed for a teacher's assistant position in our local middle school, was hired and told that my position would be to help classroom students with their work, assist the teacher, etc. I specifically asked if there would be any personal care attendant requirements for the position, and was told "absolutely not." On my first day, I was being taken through an orientation and was told my assignment was a severely handicapped young lady who needed assistance in the bathroom, including diapering...and oh, by the way, watch out because she has been known to spread feces around. I just stopped the woman right there, and said no, not for me. While I greatly admire those who can do this kind of job, and I know they are much needed, its just not for me. I was offered another role in the school but declined because my trust level was pretty low after the "bait & switch" I felt was tried.

Take heart, when one door closes, a window opens somewhere else, right?

Blondiex46
05-22-2007, 08:54 AM
I also worked for an attorney for 3 months also as a Paralegal and my kids take temper tantrums so I wasn't going to be with a boss/man that did. The last day was when he yelled at me cause I put the stamps on the envelopes upside down. I thought he was kidding he wasn't and I quit.

mommiepoppins
05-22-2007, 08:57 AM
when I was a teenager. I went in early for my pay and then went to the mall and never went back to that job again

me again
05-22-2007, 02:19 PM
Actually the job market's tight, employers shuld be more careful in their hiring practices, most people have options besides "sucking it up".

ProudMomTo3Boys
05-22-2007, 02:23 PM
About a year after my first son was born I took a PT job at a local dept. store as a cashier. When I interviewed I made sure to specifically ask if it was just cashiering I would be doing and was told yes that was it. I had to desire to work in any of the other depts. My first night there I was training as a cashier and about 1/2 way through the shift I was told to go help in the housewares dept. I did it but was not happy. The next day I called up the supervisor and told him that I would not be back as I was misled into what the job entailed. He wasn't happy but oh well.

me again
05-22-2007, 02:29 PM
Without a contract, there probably isn't much that the OP could claim was misrepresented. People aren't guaranteed jobs, and they certainly aren't guaranteed a specific job within the company.

How about this example? DH and I actually sold our house and moved across the country for him to start at a new company. Two days before his start date the company told him the position was eliminated. We spoke with a lawyer, and there was no legal recourse. Luckily, the company did quite a few things to try and mitigate the awful circumstances they put us in, and in the long run we made out OK.

All that being said, I will repeat what I said earlier...basically that the school was completely irresponsible in their actions, both to the OP and the students.

I'm so sorry that happened to you! To be stranded without a job, and have to relocate yourselves!

I don't mean to sound like I'm somehow smarter than you, don't mean this like that at all, but my dh has changed positions 3x's in the last 9 years, all involved relocation. We never just picked up and moved on what amounts to a promise. In all 3 cases, dh moved and we stayed behind for awhile until we saw how things worked out. DH stayed in as cheap an apartment as acceptable and we stayed behind, partly to get the house in order, partly to see how things went with the new job. What if he hated it and we were stuck with it? Or if he got laid off in a short time.

Last move I stayed behind for 8 months, then moved, but we had our home paid off! Took out a 15 year mortgage, made extra payments, own it free and clear! We've rented it for a positive cash flow for several years, its in Houston, and we're thinking ov moving back there. Nice to know we have a place to go! Owning a roof over our heads is a great sense of security.

To this poster, don't take what I said in a bad way, I don't mean like you made a bad decision, just made a decision that looked good at the time. Live and learn! Employers owe you nothing, and oftentimes that's what you get. What a lousey situation to be in. Hope things are going better for you now:hug:

teamagic
05-22-2007, 02:32 PM
Been there and done that also. I was hired to do the accounting work for a computer company. Now, I know how to run and enter information into a computer BUT I know nothing about how a computer is built! The first day I was there, I was told that I would be working answering the phone lines so that I would become familiar with everyone in the building. I had all these calls with customers asking technical questions about a computer and I was to answer the question or forward the call to the correct person. :rotfl2: About 5 hours into my day, my Mom called to tell be that my grandmother had passed away and I would need time off. When I went to my boss and told him I needed time off for a funeral. He said I can't believe that you are asking for time off when you just started. I had the keys to the office in my hand and layed them on his desk and said that I quit! I walked out and never looked back!

pospisil
05-22-2007, 02:40 PM
Many, many years ago, I went to work for a fast food place, and quit the first day. I made it through lunch, then told the manager that it wasn't working out, and left. I had worked fast food before that, but this place was just horrible! :eek:

DKx3
05-22-2007, 02:59 PM
Wow! You've got company! I interviewed for a teacher's assistant position in our local middle school, was hired and told that my position would be to help classroom students with their work, assist the teacher, etc. I specifically asked if there would be any personal care attendant requirements for the position, and was told "absolutely not." On my first day, I was being taken through an orientation and was told my assignment was a severely handicapped young lady who needed assistance in the bathroom, including diapering...and oh, by the way, watch out because she has been known to spread feces around. I just stopped the woman right there, and said no, not for me. While I greatly admire those who can do this kind of job, and I know they are much needed, its just not for me. I was offered another role in the school but declined because my trust level was pretty low after the "bait & switch" I felt was tried.

Take heart, when one door closes, a window opens somewhere else, right?

Sounds like we were in almost the exact situation! Well, I went in and talked to the HR director. He didn't blame or try and get me to stick it out til the end of the year. He pulled my interview file which confirmed what I explained. He seemed somewhat surprised and not too pleased with the situation, but that could all be an act. Anyway, he said right now there was not a position of the type I was offered and he would keep my file and keep me in mind for future positions. He thanked me for my handling of the situation, (calling in the night before and going to HR, I guess). So, it's over and boy do I feel better now! Thanks for all the reassuring responses.

gillenkl
05-22-2007, 03:37 PM
I once worked for 2 hours before quitting- I was supposed to be an evening receptionist at a religious charitable organization. The girl who's desk I was to sit at told me in no uncertain terms I wasn't to use her pens/pencils and not to adjust her chair - everything had to stay the way it was (mind you, my feet couldn't touch the floor!). They didn't give me any orientation and everyone started to walk out at 5PM - leaving me with no direction.:confused3 For minimum wage.....I don't think so :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

If you have a bad vibe right from the beginning, my advice is run as fast as you can the other direction.....

eliza61
05-22-2007, 04:30 PM
Has anyone out there quit a job after just one day? I am about to do just that...it's a long story...just wanted to hear some stories.

I did it once. Got a job as a bank teller for a major bank, they day I started they sat me behind a desk and didn't speak to me the entire day. I mean 6 hours without saying any thing to me. Never went back, I think they were pod people.

LIFERBABE
05-22-2007, 04:48 PM
Sounds like we were in almost the exact situation! Well, I went in and talked to the HR director. He didn't blame or try and get me to stick it out til the end of the year. He pulled my interview file which confirmed what I explained. He seemed somewhat surprised and not too pleased with the situation, but that could all be an act. Anyway, he said right now there was not a position of the type I was offered and he would keep my file and keep me in mind for future positions. He thanked me for my handling of the situation, (calling in the night before and going to HR, I guess). So, it's over and boy do I feel better now! Thanks for all the reassuring responses.

DK, Im happy to hear everything worked out and you are relieved. At first thought, I couldnt recall a job I quit after the first day, but I have!

High School I worked for 1 day at Dimensions Fashions. They were having a wool suit sale. I swear those ladies tried on every suit in every color! I worked the floor and suits were piled up on the floor of the dressing room. I had to put the pieces together back on hangers and back to the rack. By time they hit the rack, they were on the floor again:rotfl: I was so excited to work there and it was awful. Those suits were heavy!
That was my first and last day! I didnt even pick up my check and I never shopped there again either!

Plantlady
05-22-2007, 04:58 PM
My husband did, years ago....

He got a telemarketing job. his first day was the day of the Oklahoma bombing. The calls were automated, and Oklahoma was getting called that day. He walked out, and never looked back. He really thought they should of shut down that day, rather than risk a call to Oklahoma, if they couldn't manually stop the calls there.

fan_of_small_world
05-22-2007, 10:22 PM
I'm so sorry that happened to you! To be stranded without a job, and have to relocate yourselves!

No, actually, we didn't have to relocate ourselves...we were dealing with one of the largest companies in the country. They kept DH on salary, paid for us to go back home temporarily while they straightened everything out, offered him an equivalent position in another one of their offices, and they moved us out there. All three relos were comprehensive (and being in HR myself, I can say that most companies don't cover all that their packages covered).

As I said, they did a lot to mitigate the unfortunate position they put us in. I don't care to go into details, but there was much more to our decision than just "a decision that looked good at the time." Yes, there are lessons to be learned in everything one does in life, but as I said at the end of my previous post, we made out quite well. In fact DH stayed with that company for several years.

jamesmommy
05-23-2007, 12:43 AM
Just make sure to tell them you are leaving. I worked at a video store years ago, we had an employee go out on a 15 minute break after working for around 2 hours, and never came back. We were actually a little worried about him, hoping that nothing happened to him while he was out. I guess he thought he would be sitting around watching movies all day:happytv:

I haven't left a job in a day, but I have to admit I have left 2 fast food jobs when I was younger within a couple of days. Fast food was not my calling....

Amie

3jsmommy
05-23-2007, 07:08 AM
I had a job for 1 day in a little market on a resort island when I was a teenager. The boss was this big mean woman who obviously ruled by fear! This lady was nasty, she was making comments about the customers when they left, & all the employees were miserable & after listening to her talk down to all her employees for 6 hours, I had already decided I would tell her at the end of my shift(12 hrs)that I wasn't coming back.
Well after my 20 min break (only one all day) I had a piece of gum in my mouth & she took her big (glamour length nail:scared: )hand & swatted the back of my head & said,"spit it out":headache: This was with a line of customers waiting to be rung up, I just said "see ya"!! :laughing:
Grabbed my bag & left.. felt so good to see her get behind that register!
I was so mad (or scared) I was shaking, but I was just so happy to be out of there! I got a job that same day in a cafe, I had the best summer, and made alot more $$!!
Moral of the story, don't become a miserable employee ruled by fear!! RUN!:cool1:

stemikger
05-23-2007, 07:10 AM
Many years ago, while I was in school, I worked as a security guard on the midnight shift. They put me in the middle of a parking lot to watch cars of the people who were going to this night club. They left me no radio to communicate with them or the cops.

The reason why they needed a security guard was they were stealing radios out of cars. One of the patrons of the club came out and when he saw that I didn't prevent his radio from getting stolen - he tried to physically fight me.

I left my uniform in the company truck and left. The next day the owner of the guard service called me and called me every curse word in the book. Screaming at me like I murdered someone. Thank God I didn't stay to work for such a nasty person.

SarahK
05-23-2007, 07:33 AM
I had a short-lived career (4 days) as a concession/ticket person at our local movie theatre, a huge chain. I can absolutely say that it was the worst job I have ever had. I should have known what ws coming when the orientation started at 2am. We never got breaks, and I am fairly certain that a large number of labor laws were being broken, but because most of the employees were teenagers, they have never been reported. I ended up calling to quit at 3am after a shift and have never felt so relieved!!!

kaytieeldr
05-23-2007, 09:46 AM
Okay, I never did, but at a former job one department went through about five new employees in six weeks. Each lasted between a three hours (left for break, never came back) and four days. Finally, instead of just not coming back to work, one woman went to Human Resources and told them why she was quitting after a day the manager was verbally abusive. They did eventually make the right move she retired at the urging of the company.

sunsprinkle24
05-23-2007, 10:09 AM
I havent after one day, but after 1 week I did. It was part time help for a formal wear company, they hired us for prom season. I had NO training, they just stuck me answering phones and taking orders...stores would call in and tell me sizes and I was supposed to enter them in the computer and know if we had that size in a particular style. And the info wasnt stored on the computer - you just had to KNOW. It was horrible - I dreaded going in all week and finally on the 4th day I just left at lunch and didnt come back. They couldnt keep anyone...no wonder !

DawnMarie
05-23-2007, 11:00 AM
I worked one day many, many years ago in a private school. I was a classroom assistant/aftercare worker. I felt more like a custodian then anything else. I had to mop the floor, vacuum and clean the lunch room tables. The teachers yelled alot. I thought to myself as I was there, this is not for me so I never went back.

Interestingly, I now work for a school system in the HR department. What I learned was I prefer office work and adults to anything else.

kinntj
05-23-2007, 01:09 PM
Yes, I left after 1 day. I was working through a temp office and gave me a position way above my head. I thought I would be a secretary for 1 person with basic secretarial duties. I was only on for 2 weeks, while their regular secretary was on vacation. Well, I got there and the lady said I would be under 3 people and a 1-800# I'd have to keep answering. Even though 1/2 was through the day I felt exhausted because it was alot for me to do and I wasn't use to that, I stuck it out through the rest of the day (even though I wanted to walk out). I left and called my temp office and told them I'm not going back in the morning, that they didn't have a clue what my job duties would be and placed me inappropriately. They said all right. They gave me a job more suitable.

It happens, but why pretend you can do a job when it doesn't fit.

vetrik
05-23-2007, 08:43 PM
At least you called!

I spent all day last Friday training a new girl at my job. She seemed friendly, had a good grasp of the job, etc. She never came back, never called, nothing. My boss called her to find out what happened, but she never called back. I think that's unprofessional. It's fine if you realize after a day that it's really not for you, but at least have some courtesy and let someone know that you don't want to come back! We kept waiting for her all morning Monday.....

treboats
05-23-2007, 10:08 PM
We had an employee that worked in our repair center we asked him to move his car because we had visitors coming (we had limited parking in the front of the building) he said ok went outside and never came back in. :lmao: :lmao:

lowie
05-23-2007, 10:17 PM
I was about 20 years old when i had my half-day job. my car broke down the night before i started so I had to drive my dads car in, a brand new corvette.
i thought i was going to be a receptionist but when i got there i saw about 2 dozen other people who thought they were going to be receptionists. the truth was that we were going to be selling pots and pans door to door!:scared1:
they made us leave our cars at the office and drive with partners. and leave the keys behind as 'the parking lot was small, and they sometimes had to move them around'.
my partner drove me about an hour away from the office and we started going door to door and my mind was wondering what the HECk was i doing there!
after about 30 minutes i decided that i was no longer interested and asked the partner to drive me back, she refused so i hopped on a train, where i quickly realized that i had NO money:idea:
the train conductor turned out to be really nice and let me have a free ride. when i got near the office i called home and my brother came and gave me a ride to the office to pick up dads corvette, which had clearly been taken out for a joy ride as they left me with an empty gas tank!