PDA

View Full Version : Save $250..... is it worth it?

mommyto3
05-21-2007, 12:26 PM
1) Airport 30 min away, assigned seating (Continental), tickets $245 a person, better flight times.

2) Airport 1 1/2 hours away, no assigned seating (Southwest), tickets $200 a person, okay flight times but not as good as option 1.

Need 5 tickets....which would you choose?

Edited to add.....mid August out of Houston.....4 kids, 2 adults (only have to pay for 3 kids, daughters friend is payed for by her parents)

budbeerlady
05-21-2007, 12:31 PM
I would go with the airport that is closer with the better time. When are you flying and where are you going? The price seems kinda high.

SueInBoston
05-21-2007, 12:35 PM
If no kids option 2 to save the $$

But with kids, I'll go with option 1 for assigned seating. I know many people have had positive unassigned experience and I have too. But this last trip when my family was split up made me decided I would never go the unassigned route again. Just my opinion.

Sue

mommyto3
05-21-2007, 12:36 PM
I should add that we are flying mid August and both airports are in Houston. I have never seen those lower *ding* prices for this flight. I guess Southwest doesn't *ding* Houston?!?

shoegirl1020
05-21-2007, 12:45 PM
Don't forget to factor in your gas to the one further away, which one has better parking rates and how early/late would you need to leave home to get there? $250.00 total does not seem like a lot if the closer airport is only $250. cheaper

Kimmumum
05-21-2007, 01:07 PM
I would pick the closer airport just for the fact that at the end of a vacation the last thing I want to do is drive for another 1 1/2 hours. Just get me home!

Chicago526
05-21-2007, 02:08 PM
One more thing to factor.

Should your flight with Continental be canceled for a mechanical or crew shortage issue (or anything that can be deemed the airline's fault, not weather or air traffic control which are beyond their control), AND Continental can't get you on another flight that day, then they have to sign your ticket over to another airline (provided the other airline has room) at no cost to you.

Southwest has no agreements with other airlines, and won't put you on another carrier. You're stuck at the airport until they can get you home.

On top of Continental being more convienent for you (closer, seat assignments), I think you're better off with them, but then I'm not paying for your tickets, either! :)

mommyto3
05-21-2007, 07:39 PM
I think I am leaning towards the Continental flight.

Anyone else?

Stein
05-21-2007, 09:16 PM
One more thing to factor.

Should your flight with Continental be canceled for a mechanical or crew shortage issue (or anything that can be deemed the airline's fault, not weather or air traffic control which are beyond their control), AND Continental can't get you on another flight that day, then they have to sign your ticket over to another airline (provided the other airline has room) at no cost to you.

Southwest has no agreements with other airlines, and won't put you on another carrier. You're stuck at the airport until they can get you home.

They don't have that option, if the flight is cancelled or delayed for any reason other than weather "Rule 240" requires them to put you on the next available flight at no extra charge, regardless of the carrier.

They may not volunteer this information, but if you demand it, they have no option.

Edit:

Whoops, looks like it isn't law, but has been adopted by every major except Southwest. Just another reason I don't fly them I guess:

http://http://www.mytravelrights.com/travellaw.cfm?ai=3

fofinia
05-21-2007, 09:23 PM
Another vote for the continental. I hate not having an assigned seat. And won't fly southwest because of it. I wish I had an airport 30 mins away. Good luck with what you decide.

Chicago526
05-22-2007, 08:38 AM
They don't have that option, if the flight is cancelled or delayed for any reason other than weather "Rule 240" requires them to put you on the next available flight at no extra charge, regardless of the carrier.

They may not volunteer this information, but if you demand it, they have no option.

Edit:

Whoops, looks like it isn't law, but has been adopted by every major except Southwest. Just another reason I don't fly them I guess:

http://http://www.mytravelrights.com/travellaw.cfm?ai=3

Actually a few other airlines don't have it either, I think Jet Blue and I know Air Tran for sure. Don't worry, a lot of people think "Rule 240" is law and applies to all airlines. It doesn't, and that's why I meantioned it. It's one of the reasons I won't fly SWA either, unless it's someplace I really don't need to be at a specific date and time. Don't get me wrong, they're a fine airline in most regards, and do a good job of getting most people to where they need to be when they need to be there. It's when there is a problem that I worry, you just don't have as many options should there be a glitch.

eyeheartgoofy
05-22-2007, 08:41 AM
I would go with the closer airport and assigned seating.

swilshire
05-22-2007, 09:35 AM
I could probably get a neighbor to drop me off at the closer airport, saving the parking fee. If that applies to you, that and the extra gas would almost eat up the savings of the more distant airport.

Sheila