PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for boys 1st birthday party

Blondiex46
05-21-2007, 09:17 AM
Limited income and party is at a park. I was thinking face painting or something. Not pony rides cause I want things that he can enjoy sort of . Party is from 1 -4. I know you guys can come upwith something. Oh and there is no electric. It is a park so there is places to play baseball and swings and stuff but thought might do other things.:banana:

Bren's Mom
05-21-2007, 09:36 AM
I wouldn't do anything 'extra'. All of the 1 year olds, including my own, have been somewhat overwhelmed by the whole party...it's enough to have family and friends together, have food and cake and do presents. Anything more than that, imo, is unnecessary...especially for a 1 yo.

StephMK
05-21-2007, 09:42 AM
Water balloons are easy & bet he'd love to see them splat. You would just have to pre-fill them. If you check through the summer fun threads, there are lots of cheap activities you could bring to a park that he'd enjoy. Ice, shaving cream, chalk, bubbles, etc. Depends on the ages of the other kids & how many you'll have.

Blondiex46
05-21-2007, 02:01 PM
thanks for the ideas, I appreciate it.

Mkaz
05-21-2007, 02:14 PM
I agree with Bren's mom. The extras can be overwhelming for a 1yo. Too much going on can make a wee one cranky. If there are older kids they can do simple things like water balloons, pin the tail on the donkey, duck duck goose, etc. We had a huge party when our dd turned 1. It was really too much for her. Needless to say, we didn't follow suit when ds turned 1.

imsayin
05-21-2007, 02:16 PM
Water balloons are easy & bet he'd love to see them splat

Broken balloon pieces are a huge choking hazard. Only do this if it is closely supervised.

TravelinGal
05-21-2007, 02:45 PM
A 3 hour party is really too much for a 1 year old to tolerate. Especially from 1 - 4 - outside - in the heat - and just when does your DS usually nap? You're asking for a monster if you've scheduled that during any part of his normal nap time.

1 hr for 1 yr old/2 hrs for 2 year old is what's suggested.

A party for a 1 year old is for the parents more than the child. I admit that freely and completely! ;) We had DS's first birthday party at Gymboree because that was an environment he was comfortable with. The party lasted for 1 1/2 hours and he was getting pretty edgy by the end. It was fun for everyone, we got great photos etc, but we know he won't remember it when he's 10.

Kinda like taking little ones to Disney. They have a great time, but it's not about memories for THEM. For US, yes! :thumbsup2

Structured party games aren't important for this age either.

Have toys they can play with in the sand/water/dirt/grass.
Have lots of soft areas in the shade for them to play. Sorry grownups - kids come first - "I know you're hot Aunt Susie, but Tommy can't regulate his body temperature as well as we can. The kids need the shade more than we do."
Have drinks that aren't loaded with sugar and caffeine.

They make "splat balls" that you can get wet and toss around. That would be safer than having latex balloon pieces on the ground that little ones could choke on.

Don't know if any of this helped.

Maybe we could give you some better party ideas if you shared the general ages of the people who will be at the party.

Ratpack
05-21-2007, 04:31 PM
www.birthdaypartyideas.com

This is my favorite site for just about everything ever thought of for a birthday party. :bday:

I agree on the times 1-4 is a long party for a one year old...it is really overwhelming anyway to these little ones. I would even look at a 10-12 noon (then you won't be serving lunch, people will want to leave to get their little ones down for a nap, YOUR DS will go down for his nap easily, etc.) :thumbsup2

It is so much fun to plan their first birthday experience- Enjoy this time....it really hurts to plan their 9th birthday, etc. It just goes by so fast! :guilty:

Blondiex46
05-22-2007, 08:38 AM
I agree with your suggestions but it is my grandson and my daughter is calling the shots and she doesn't take to my suggestions too easily. Where she is having it doesn't even have an infant swing just the regular ones.