PDA

View Full Version : Poly or Grand Floridian???? Please help me decide!

Gottalovedisney
05-20-2007, 10:00 AM
I've changed my mind (and resorts) so many times that my mailbox is full with WDTC confirmations on a daily basis PLUS I'm driving my family crazy! :rotfl: We're currently booked for 11 nights at the Poly (first 3 nights room only, next 8 with free dining) We've stayed at the Poly before but not since they remodeled the rooms, which look amazing. Last night my DD says hey mom, how much would it cost to upgrade to the GF, you know I've always wanted to stay there (we never have). Now keep in mind that this will probably be the last trip for as a family for a while since my two oldest (17 year old twins) will be starting college next year and one of them has a school trip to spain planned for spring 08! So this is it for a while! So I go online and price things out and it turns out that it would only be an additional $546 for the entire trip. Now I know I said "only $546" but I was seriously expecting it be much much more. So i tell my DH and he says, well that's not too bad, whatever you want dear (don't you love it when they say that) But now I can't decide. As I said we've never been to the GF but we've toured it and it looks incredible. Traveling will be me, DH, DD (17), DS ( 17) & my "baby" DS (12) Any advice, input, suggestions for a good psychiatrist in my area? :lmao:

karebear1
05-20-2007, 10:18 AM
You're gonna be there for 11 days- why not split your stay between Poly and GF?? We 've done this many times and it is a very easy. The resort will transfer your luggage for you and it will be waiting for you when you get to the new resort. That way - you can have the best of both worlds.

I think your psychiatrist will see this as a good thing! LOL!

minniesota
05-20-2007, 10:27 AM
Your trip sounds wonderful! I have stayed at both resorts and my vote would be the GF hands down. The Poly feels crowded to me - kind of closed in and dark or something- whereas the GF has a more open, spacious feel to it. The lobby with its orchestra or piano player is so inviting. The grounds are beautiful! Gasparilla Grill is great for the quick meals, snacks, arcade games for DS12 - and watching Wishes from the patio at Gaspy's is a relaxing way to wind down the day. The pools are great - my DH likes nothing more than relaxing around the courtyard pool with an adult beverage and a little lunch from room service. Or you can rent a cabana at the main pool complete with padded loungers, table and chairs, mini-fridge stocked with sodas, etc and a TV/DVD. Something the teens might really enjoy! I love the GF restaurants and their room service is wonderful as well.

Now if you are still on the fence, what I would do is spend 5 nights at the Poly and the last 6 nights at the GF. We have done split stays on almost all of our trips and it's really pretty painless (maybe because I do most of the repacking!) But you really feel as though you have two different vacations. And with 11 nights, it might be the perfect solution! Good luck with your decision and have a "grand" time! :goodvibes

johnvree
05-20-2007, 10:28 AM
I second the switching suggestion. Disney does a good job with this and it would really be a cinch given that the 2 resorts are right next store to each other. You could walk over to the second resort in the morning, check in and go to a park whil Disney moves your luggage.

But if I had to choose 1, I'd go with the Poly. Better theme (for us anyway), the grounds are incredible, better pool and you can walk to the TTC (so you don't need 2 monorails to get to Epcot). Plus, the Poly's renovated rooms are really cool - flat screen tvs! Have the GF's rooms been renovated lately.

Anyway, these are my thoughts. By the way, we are Poly lovers, so this opinion is a bit biased.

Gottalovedisney
05-20-2007, 10:38 AM
thanks for the quick replies! Switching sounds like a great idea but i'm not sure DH would go for that, he's one of those, "I unpack once and stay put" kinda guys but he has been in a whatever you want to do dear kinda mood, so maybe it's a good time to try and convince him! The only thing is we'd need to do the first 3 nights at Poly and then the last 8 at the GF because of the package. If we split the free dining into 2 reservations than i'll need to buy base tickets for each section and that would end up costing even more $$$$. Would you switch after only 3 nights? We love the Poly but I agree it has a crowded feel at times and I'm concerned because it will be August and hot AND free dining and the pool will be mobbed and I'm over analyzing everything! AAAGGGGHHHH! :rotfl: How does the pool at the GF compare to the Volcano? Thanks again for all the help guys! Of course I still don't know what to do LOL Oh well, if only all my decisions were so bad, huh?

Gottalovedisney
05-20-2007, 12:32 PM
one other question regarding the GF.....how is the room size? oh and would a 5'4" teen fit on the daybed comfortably?....sorry that's two questions!

Tinkaroo
05-20-2007, 01:09 PM
thanks for the quick replies! Switching sounds like a great idea but i'm not sure DH would go for that, he's one of those, "I unpack once and stay put" kinda guys but he has been in a whatever you want to do dear kinda mood, so maybe it's a good time to try and convince him! The only thing is we'd need to do the first 3 nights at Poly and then the last 8 at the GF because of the package. If we split the free dining into 2 reservations than i'll need to buy base tickets for each section and that would end up costing even more $$$$. Would you switch after only 3 nights? We love the Poly but I agree it has a crowded feel at times and I'm concerned because it will be August and hot AND free dining and the pool will be mobbed and I'm over analyzing everything! AAAGGGGHHHH! :rotfl: How does the pool at the GF compare to the Volcano? Thanks again for all the help guys! Of course I still don't know what to do LOL Oh well, if only all my decisions were so bad, huh?

I was thinking you should do a split stay, too, but your point about doing the package is a good one. For just 3 nights, I would probably then elect to just pick a resort and stay the whole time - you could really get settled in and enjoy the place.

We resort hop a lot since we want to try every WDW resort that interests us, but the GF and Poly were both some of our favorites (and we're returning to the GF this Nov./Dec.). That being said, the GF wins out a bit more because I like the theming just a little bit better (plus, I'm fortunate enough to go to Hawaii each year, so I get the tropical theme there). The GF rooms are impressive, clean, and spacious (and are actually getting ready to be rehabbed). The grounds are beautiful, although with a more manicured style befitting the theme. I think the pool and beach situation at the GF is a bit better than the Poly - larger, and more spread out. That was the one thing we didn't like about our Poly stay - you could barely see the water for all the people in the Volcano pool (and this was early March!), and the beach also seemed a little crowded, although we were usually able to find loungers after a bit of searching.

one other question regarding the GF.....how is the room size? oh and would a 5'4" teen fit on the daybed comfortably?....sorry that's two questions!

The rooms are comparable in size. According to the DIS, the room size at the GF is 440 sq. ft. vs. the Poly at 409 sq. ft. If you get a dormer room at the GF, the rooms are about 3 ft. smaller, but as they don't include the day bed for a 5th family member, you wouldn't get assigned one of those.

Over on the GF thread, I believe one of the regular posters responded that her teenage son has fit comfortably on the daybed in the past when he's been around 5'6" or so.

Alicnwondrln
05-20-2007, 01:55 PM
I would also stay at the GF

njmeisje
05-20-2007, 08:37 PM
We have stayed at the GF once and the Poly three times now. Last time we were upgraded to Poly Concierge, and wow that was a treat. We are returning to the Poly in July this year. My two girls, my husband and I just love the Poly. It has a more laid back, slower pace feel to it than the GF. We also love the volcano pool right outside Hawaii. Some nights when we have had a long day, we've watched the fireworks right from within the pool. It's a lovely place. Enjoy whichever you choose!!

Best,
Diane

rugratx2
05-20-2007, 10:16 PM
We just returned from our trip and spend a week at the Poly. We also walked through the GF to check it out and I wouldn't mind staying there are some point either!

The Poly does have teh advantage of being close to the transportation center so it is an easy walk without having to take the express around the loop. We loved how easy it was to get around.

We had two kids with us, 11 and 14, they LOVED the Poly! We like the laid back atmosphere, the grounds are so pretty, the rooms are big with two queens and a twin/sofa coverter. The only thing lacking was an in-room microwave.

My kids loved the Volcano pool with the water slide. THe pool at the GF was pretty but didn't look to include a ride.

Really depends on the type of atmosphere you want. GF is so darm pretty but a more formal atmoshphere and lobby.

THe Poly is more laid back and has a tropical theme throughout.

Our last vacation was to Hawaii so we wanted the Tropical THeme. We did walk around GF and that was enough for me. I would vote for the Poly.

rentayenta
05-20-2007, 10:54 PM
I haven't stayed at either of them but if given the chance, I would choose the Poly! :thumbsup2 I love the tropical theme and how retro is seems.

shovan
05-21-2007, 01:24 AM
As a long time Poly enthusiast, I would recommend checking into Poly concierge level. I love the "feel" of the Poly, very relaxing, laid back, no rush. Not the same at GF. Just a different and more, I don't quite know how to describe it but a more "Poo-poo Shi-shi attitude". A very nice place but IMO, just not as relaxing or fun! But I do have a sentimental feeling about the Poly. I agree that a possible last trip with your children is a biggie! Think long & hard about what vacation means to you, & make the absolute most of it! Good Luck!!!:goodvibes

tasha99
05-21-2007, 01:44 AM
I haven't stayed at either, but I would do a split stay. Ah the insanity--I told my son NEXT year we would go to Universal Studios and a cruise, and here I am dreaming about a split stay at Wilderness Cabins/Beach Club Villas/Contemporary Resort. :rotfl: We haven't even taken this years' vacation yet . . .

marivaid
05-21-2007, 02:37 AM
I'd do the first 3 nights room-only at the GF then do the package as planned at the Poly with free dining.

kaysmommie
05-21-2007, 09:26 AM
Stay at GF since you have always wanted to stay there and since it's your last trip for a while. I do love the theme at Poly but It's the place I always wanted to stay and when we did last fall we loved it. I do think GF is beautiful too. I like the pool area just as much especially since it's less crowded and has Cabanas.