PDA

View Full Version : Planning my first visit! Resort help please!

ukfan78
05-19-2007, 12:50 PM
We are planning our first WDW trip for May 2008. I have looked and looked at the resorts and I just can't decide where we should stay! We have a few options so I will give some background information. This trip will include Me, DH, and my 7yo ds. My sister and BIL will also be going as well as my mother and nephew (15). Now, as much as I love my sister, I prefer to stay in a separate room. She can be quite moody. However, the thought of staying in a villa would be very nice too! Staying together is the only way we can afford to do that though :(

So I am mostly looking for a room for each of us (Me, dh, and Ds...then sister, BIL and 2yr old....then my mom and nephew). I am torn between the moderates and the values. I know my dh (who is NOT a Disney person...gasp!) and he will not pay more than $200 a night for a room and that is pushing it. I would LOVE to stay at a deluxe (no idea which one either!), but that will never happen unless we get a nice discount somehow.

However, the cheaper my room is, the longer I can stay! So that makes me lean towards the values. I like POP and ASMo the best. I think my ds would like either. ANYONE know when the ASMo and *** will be updated like the ASMu? Will Movies be done by next May? If so, I think we would go there.

Transportation is not a big deal to us because we are driving down so we will have our own vehicle with free parking. So which resort would you choose knowing that we aren't too worried about the buses, we are planning afternoon breaks, and we want to swim on our breaks? Being close to the food court would be nice too.....but preferred would do that for us, right?

Another question.....Which resort has the most comfortable beds? I am considering the Swan because of their beds and closeness to Epcot! My BIL is a government employee and from what I understand, he can get a discount? However, I don't like that you have to pay to park there and I have heard the parking is annoying.

Man this is so hard. I want everyone to be happy, but I don't want to spend a TON on our room either. I think the most bang for our buck is the Swan/Dolphin (I prefer the Swan for Queen beds). I like ALL of the moderates! And I like the price of the Values! Please help me decide!!

Melissa

fla4fun
05-19-2007, 12:57 PM
Does the rest of the group mind sharing? If it were me, I would consider booking a Family Suite at the All Star Music plus one regular room. That way, you could have privacy when you want it, and a place to hang out together as well. The suite has the kitchenette, which is great for snacks and light meals. I think that would be the most economical choice for a group your size.

kat08
05-19-2007, 01:15 PM
I think that's a good idea. You, your husband, your son, your mother and your nephew could all stay in the family suite and your sister & BIL can stay in a room on their own OR Your sis & BIL can stay w/your mom & nephew and you, DH & DS can stay in a room on your own.

Another thought I had is to book 2 bunk bed rooms at Wilderness Lodge. Only haveing to do 2 rooms as opposed to 3 might help save everyone money.

Good luck and have a GREAT time!!! :goodvibes

ukfan78
05-19-2007, 01:42 PM
I think that unless we are in a villa, everyone would prefer to have their own room to sleep in. I am pretty sure my DH would prefer his own room, even if it costs more :P He is not too big on sharing rooms, unless it is a condo/chalet type place. And I am pretty sure my mom would rather pay for her OWN room than to room with my sister :P She is wonderful, but man she gets moody when everything doesn't go her way. Price is not a big factor....but the cheaper my room, the LONGER I stay. Right now I am planning 6 nights/7 days with a Value or moderate...or spending less than $200/night wherever that might be (unless we share a Villa). If I stay at a value, I will probably stay an extra 2 nights and do some NON-Disney stuff like Sea World or relaxing at the pool and DTD. I am trying to choose the best resort without worrying about costs too much, but my DH will not pay Deluxe regular prices.

So with that in mind.....any more ideas :P Comfortable beds would be a nice addition :) But I can always buy a memory foam topper!

Melissa

monami7
05-19-2007, 01:57 PM
We have had family trips with up to 17 people. We don't share rooms. we like the mods the best though. It feels a bit more relaxed to me. We have driven by the values (Not stayed at them) however my MOM REFUSES to stay at them based on the busses and the mass people. She didn't even get into the room size. We can usually if we are flexable stay at a mos for a good rate. We stayed at CSR for $94 a night at Christmas last year and AKL for $119 a night in Jan of 2005. I do call back often to try and get a better rate. However even at full price you can stay for $145 a night which is not bad. I think with non Disney people your batter off at a moderate hotel. The values are all Disney all the time. If they are not used to that or looking for it it could be a miserable trip. My father has been known to complain through half of a vacation.

monami7
05-19-2007, 02:02 PM
Also when are you going? It may make a difference in price.

nbodyhome
05-19-2007, 02:35 PM
If you can get the Swan and Dolphin at a great price, I DEFINITELY would recommend them!!!

The Pop Century is very nice as well - but on a different level.

CharityLynn
05-19-2007, 06:08 PM
Have you looked into renting DVC points? They can be a very affordable option. Most sell around $10 a point...we rent from my in-laws so I'm not exactly what it entails when you rent from someone you don't know but you could cruise over the the DVC boards, alot of helpful people over there.

Our situation (which won't be too much like your but maybe it will give you some idea) We are staying in 1 bedroom villa at the Beach Club from Sunday through Thursday (120 pts) and it cost us just over $800. (our point cost was between $6-7 though since we went with family)

But yeah maybe you could check DVC out. Good luck in deciding, we love the Disney Resorts. Next year we are doing a moderate (POR FQ) though, we want to give the inlaws a break with renting lol.

ktink
05-19-2007, 06:54 PM
Can't blame your DH for wanting seperate rooms. I wouldn't want to share even a villa. I like having our own "personal" space. :goodvibes Anyway, I've got to agree w/ a previous poster that said that mods just seem a bit more relaxed. Our stay at Pop was great but it was so fast paced and everything about the resort is so fun and vivid that it is just spastic. Our stay at CSR seemed so relaxed and it was a vacation within a vacation. The mods are worth the extra $$ in my opinion. And the pools are more enjoyable for the kids and adults. Good luck.

WisMom
05-19-2007, 07:41 PM
We have stayed at two moderates, CSR and POR, and we thoroughly enjoyed them. We like how they feel secluded and so relaxing. I had to drag my DH to Disney World for our first trip. He refused to stay in a value and said he couldn't take Disney 24/7. Well, he loved CSR.

My only complaint about values and moderates is the double beds. At POR, we had a trundle bed. If you aren't looking forward to a double bed, this way you and your husband could each have your own bed if your daughter slept on the trundle bed. Not ideal, I know, but a bit of extra comfort.

The quiet pools are also really nice. They don't have those at the values. We went back to nap/swim every day in the heat of the day and it worked out great.

Good luck with your decision.
WisMom