PDA

View Full Version : POP or All Stars?

SandraC
05-18-2007, 11:45 AM
Hi All ~ We have stayed at every WDW mod resort and now we are looking to stay at a Value. We have visited the All Stars and like them very much. We haven't seen POP Century ourselves, only in pictures.

Which should we book? Thanks! Sandra

Khokhonutt
05-18-2007, 01:12 PM
We stayed in Pop back in 2004, then stayed in All-Star Movies when my son marched at MK last year. Could be the fact that we stayed there first, but we liked Pop a little better. Honestly, though, the difference is minimal.

Pop was a little newer, I guess because it is. We also liked the food court a little better, there were a few minor differences in items that we missed from Pop. The rooms themselves were almost identical. The transportation was about the same.

We'll be back at All-Star again in the spring (this time both my son & daughter will be marching), which will make us 2 generation band geeks who have marched at WDW. :D When we go back as a family, it will probably be Pop.

Jeff

greenmickeyfanatic
05-18-2007, 03:05 PM
pop because it will be a new experience for you because you havent been there before and it just seems more fun to me

PittypatBR
05-18-2007, 03:54 PM
I just wanted to share what I just posted on my TR. We just got back from our trip and I LOVED Pop. I would prefer it to any other value OR moderate resort.

"Before I go on, I wanted to talk a little bit about Pop Century. First of all, here is the Mickey phone icon by our elevator. You can almost see our room in this picture, on the second floor just past the center of the building.

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u25/aeppeebles/mickeyphone.jpg

It was a really wonderful location. It was a short walk to the hippy dippy pool or the food court, not a bad walk to the busses, and we passed the Goofy spray pad every time. The playground wasn’t far, but we never made it there to play. The kids just naturally ended up in the pool or spray pad when we were at the PC. We never tried out the other pools, either, but they looked fine. The theming was great and the grounds were very well kept. We enjoyed seeing the bunnies and duck families on the grounds. The lake was very pretty. I don’t understand why Disney doesn’t go ahead and complete the rest of the decades. It would seem that they could fill the rooms if they had them.

The rooms themselves were quite nice. A couple of features I liked were the shelf above the sinks to hold our toiletries, the hooks on the back of the bathroom door, and the clothesline above the tub. No, the room wasn’t really large, but it was perfectly adequate. We had small towel animals when we got there but didn’t get replacements during the week but the rooms were cleaned just fine ( and yes, we were tipping). The towel animals vary depending on which mousekeeper does your room.

The bus ride from Pop to MK was long, but no worse than from lots of other resorts. The ride to Epcot and DS wasn’t bad at all, and AK was in-between because of the stop at BB. They kept the busses coming quite well and we rarely had to wait very long either coming or going. If there was a long line and we didn’t all get on they would usually call in another bus pretty quickly."

geffric
05-18-2007, 03:58 PM
the rooms are the same. and there really isn't any difference between them. I would be happy to be in WDW but if I had a choice it would be POP. I just love that resort.

battalion51
05-18-2007, 04:05 PM
I'd go with Pop. It's newer, smaller, and it doesn't feel like a Value like Pop does in my opinion.

Disney-For-Life
05-18-2007, 04:09 PM
Another vote here for POP :thumbsup2

luvgoing2disney
05-18-2007, 04:34 PM
OK just so it will not be "unani-mouse", we have never had a bad experience at AS. We've stayed at Movies and Sports and always been completely satisfied.

skeleton_pirate
05-18-2007, 04:58 PM
Pop, if only because the rooms are newer and cleaner, and the transportation is significantly better.

ellyn2000
05-18-2007, 05:46 PM
I'm going to try POP on our next trip. I'm another one who's never had a bad experience at AS, but just want to try POP.

PRINCESS VIJA
05-18-2007, 07:24 PM
We have stayed at both, and I guess for me that answer depends on your kids, and how old they are. If they are younger, I think they would like the theming of the all star movies the best. My kids LOVED it! The huge characters from Toy story are great, and a chance to sit in RC is lots of fun. But, if your kids are older then they may appreciate the theming from Pop more. the Mr. and Mrs. Potatoe head is fantastic, as well as the huge play doh. As far as the resort itself (aside from theming) since Pop is newer, it seems nicer and it also has bottles of shampoo and hand soap, instead of the dispensers in the shower. Something insignificant I suppose, but I like that better. I am also a history buff, so I like Pop Century for that reason. BUT like I said, we based our stay on the kids and what they would like to see. Either way, you can't go wrong... It is WDW after all!:wizard: :banana:

momsoftwins
05-18-2007, 08:16 PM
my vote is the MOVIES... it was my 1st onsite stay just a few short weeks ago and my kids (and me too) LOVED it

momsoftwins
05-18-2007, 08:18 PM
ps we had bottles and not dispensers in the shower at the movies... not that i would have used either one personaly

SandraC
05-19-2007, 07:37 AM
Thanks all....

Which seems closer to the parks? S

minnie61650
05-19-2007, 07:40 AM
Thanks all....

Which seems closer to the parks? S

Bus rides are quite short from the ALL Stars according to PassPorter.com

All Star Buses-CBR buses---POPbuses--PO buses--- Contemporary
MK 20 min---- 20 min-----25 min------10 min---20 min(mono)
Epcot 10 min-- 15 min-----20 min------10 min---15 min
MGM 10 min----12 min-----15 min------15 min---20min
AK 10 min------20min-------15 min----15 min---20 min
DTD 15 min----20 min------20 min-----15 min---35 min

It only takes 10 minutes to get to Epcot, MGM and AK from All Stars.
MK is 20 min away. That's the same amount of time it takes on the monorail from the Contemporary.

A WORD ABOUT BUS SHARING

To me Bus Sharing at the All Stars is really a non issue.

In the mornings during Park opening hours each All Star usually has a dedicated bus.
During mid day it is usually just our stop and maybe one more on the way to the parks. On the way back sometimes it is all 3 but often Sports and Music share and Movies has it's own bus back. Each of the All Stars usually has it's own dedicated bus back from the MK.
That is a big plus. It seems like the Music bus stop usually has the shortest of the three All Star bus lines.

I guess some people who stay at POP see all 3 All Star names on the return sign of our bus stop when they head to the POP bus stop and think All Stars also has 3 stops on the way to the park.
(Even when we stop at another AS resort to load up it has not taken more than 5 minutes and we are on our way!)

Have fun at Disney!:wizard:

minnie61650
05-19-2007, 07:45 AM
..... it also has bottles of shampoo and hand soap, instead of the dispensers in the shower. Something insignificant I suppose, but I like that better. ......... :

Just an FYI

The All Stars also has bottles of shampoo and hand soap.

All of the dispensers in the shower were removed by the fall of 2005.

Have fun at Disney!

Debbie
05-19-2007, 07:49 AM
Sandra, now that you have those tickets in hand, I can see your mind working! :lmao:

If you happen to decide on July this year, there are ALL STAR fridge swaps going on. July is clear, and you could have a fridge in the room! Check out the link in my signature or this one go directly to http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1420340 for information. It's a good group, and I'm really excited.

BTW, I've done both a few times. DD and I are headed to ASMu because she is musically talented and studying music education at school. It is SOOOO pretty at night. And, at least when I've been there peaceful. I'm really looking forward to our trip in August.

BUT, whatever you decide, you know that it will be magical, just being with your family.

nbodyhome
05-19-2007, 07:52 AM
Pop or Music (the latter for it's refurbished rooms).

minnie61650
05-19-2007, 08:02 AM
Pop or Music (the latter for it's refurbished rooms).

All Star Music is my Favorite Disney owned resort.
DH and I stayed in a refurbished room last Sept.(2006) We loved it!

All Star Music is undergoing a refurbishment of all of the rooms and is slated to be completed by June 2007.

The Calypso and Jazz buildings are completed and the last I heard they are working on the Broadway Buildings.

Here is a website with photos of the newly refurbished rooms at All Star Music.

Look at the Jazz Inn section with new posted:

http://allearsnet.com/acc/g_asmu.htm

--------------------------------------------------

Please see my info thread For the resons why I enjoy All Star Music so much.

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?p=18641909#post18641909

Have fun at Disney!:wizard:

Tinkerbell63
05-19-2007, 08:04 AM
We've stayed at All Star Movies and later at Pop. Our vote goes to POP!:cheer2: If you request a preferred room, your room location will be closer to the food court and pool.

ceecee
05-19-2007, 09:22 AM
We have stayed at both ASMo and POP three or four times each. We like POP just because it's newer and fresher. AS are refurbishing rooms though. The food court and pool seems much more crowded at POP, it just seems larger to me. Could be the last few years were more crowded due to the free dining! At any rate, I would get a preferred room. We had such a long walk the first year at POP it was just too much! We ended up cutting through bushes to get to the bus stops a little faster and hardly used our refillable mugs due to the walk to the food court. AND all those stairs as the elevater was on the far side of our room.

zippy doo dah
05-19-2007, 09:53 AM
If you're going in the summer, I would say stay at POP. My family and I went down in July of last year for my bff's wedding and we stayed at ASMusic and I will NEVER stay there again in the summer. I was traveling with my DH, my DDs 10 & 7 and my DS 6 so just remember their ages for later.

I would not reccommend staying there in the summer bc of the tour groups that are there :sad2: The tour group (who was from another country, but I won't say which one so as to not offend anone) consisted of 16-17 year olds with very few chperones and those chaperones did little to nothing to control the members of the group. The group was scattered all around the hotel and this really caused a problem. During the day was fine bc we were in the parks and we usually stayed until normal closing time - we didn't take part in the EMH at night bc the of little ones.

During the night was horrible - (from about 1 am - 3 am) all you would hear was kids running and screaming back and forth close to the room doors and at least once a night several of the kids would run back and forth knocking (pounding is more like it) on the doors and waking everyone up. There were multiple complaints to the front desk and security both in the middle of the night and each morning. Also on many nights when we got back to the hotel, we would take the kids for a quick late night swim in the main pool. And of course, you guessed it, they were there too - and of course we saw the random kids making out in the pool - which is not the worst, but when you're traveling with little kids, it's not something you want to see. Well on one of our night swims, I check around the pool to see of there are any spots where I should keep the kids away from (where they would be making out) and everything was fine initially, so the kids are swimming around having a blast. Then about 15 minutes later this couple come into the pool and at first they were just swimming around - no big deal...then they start making out, so I call my kids over and have them stay closer to me away from where they were (If you've ever been, they were near the middle by the 3 caballeros) - I see them swim over the the edge of the pool thinking they were going to get out, but they don't they just stop there, so I then turn to watch my kids do some tricks and something from the edge of the pool catches my attention in the corner of my eye, so I glance over and I notice that the couple are no longer just making out "other things" are going on - and it is blatently obvious :eek: ...so I yell for my kids to get out of the pool right away and my husband goes to the food court and asks for security. It takes a few minutes, but the security person comes over and tells them to get out of the pool -they say something and then the security guard tells them that they can stay in the pool as long as they are swimming. By this time my kids and I are on our way back to the room, but my DH wants to fill the souvie cups 1 more time - the security person is long gone and these 2 ppl are back at it once again. Needless to say, I wrote a very long and strongly worded letter when I got home. :mad:

So, if you read all this thanks for listening. But, this is why I'll never stay at an ASR during the summer - when I went to ASMovies the following Oct. for MNSSHP - it was great and I would definately stay there again during the fall. So I guess it really depends on when you go.

eemmie1
05-19-2007, 12:00 PM
Another vote for POP. I have stayed at Music and Sports and feel the food, and bus service is better at POP. I also think it is more centrally located. They are all great resorts though.:goodvibes