PDA

View Full Version : which resort for disabled mom

caspersmom83
05-18-2007, 09:01 AM
Looking to stay on the monorail so I know our options are limited. My MOm would like a firworks view. WHat rooms should she request? Which is the nicer resort. The Poly looks like it may be to spread out since she has trouble walking.

ANy advice?

minnie61650
05-18-2007, 09:36 AM
Looking to stay on the monorail so I know our options are limited. My MOm would like a firworks view. WHat rooms should she request? Which is the nicer resort. The Poly looks like it may be to spread out since she has trouble walking.

ANy advice?

The Poly does not have any HA rooms with a MK view nor does it have any HA in CL.

Does she a room with a roll in shower?

spiceycat
05-18-2007, 09:48 AM
the cont a few years ago put in a elevator for wheelchairs on the monrail.

so you could pick it.

at the Polyn you can get a wheelchair for free - all the hotels have them. but it will be a manual one - you will need to push her.

they have the scooter but you have to rent those. (it is cheaper to go offsite for these rentals)

caspersmom83
05-18-2007, 11:01 AM
My Mom doesn't use a wheel chair ( trying to convine her to rent a scooter for the week) but she needs a cane>we need a shower with a hand rail and easy access to the monorail. Thanks

spiceycat
05-18-2007, 11:26 AM
might go with Cont.

Polyn has some handicapped rooms in the other lodges - but the main handicapped lodge is Rupa Nui - about as far from the Polyn monrail as you can get.

here is a map
http://www.wdwinfo.com/resortmaps/polymap.htm

but Polyn is the only one where you can walk to the monrail for Epcot.

with the Cont and GF you must take the monrail to the TTC then tranfer to the monrail for Epcot. (this transfer can be quite a long walk and hard on seniors)

what you can do - is go with the Polyn ask for a wheelchair - bring it with you to store your stuff. Pride only goes so far at WDW. Hopefully before the second day your mother will be using the wheelchair.

is it just you and her - or are you being kids too?

SueM in MN
05-18-2007, 05:24 PM
The wheelchairs for loan at the resorts are not a for sure thing.
Here's what WDW says on their website:
Wheelchairs are available in limited numbers for Walt Disney WorldŽ Resort Guests at each Resort. Contact Guest Services or the Front Desk for assistance. A $315 deposit will be held on the Guest room account charged only if the wheelchair is not returned. Guests wishing to guarantee the use of a wheelchair throughout their stay should contact local area rental companies to make arrangements.

So, if you do decide to borrow one from the resort, I'd still suggest you take along some of the phone numbers of the off-site rental places. There is information and links in the disABILITIES FAQS thread. (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=595713)

minnie61650
05-18-2007, 09:02 PM
The CR and GF have a few rooms with a MK view.
I personally think the CR tower rooms with the MK view have the most breath taking views of the castle and fireworks.

I would also suggest that because of mobility issues she should rent an EVC
(Electric scooter) from an offsite company.
I have limited mobility and have rented mine from Care Medical (800-741-2282) and Walker Mobility (888-726-6837) in the past. I would recommend either one. The cost is about $30 a day. The ones at the parks cost $35 a day and are bigger and have 4 wheels kinda like a golf cart. They are much harder to steer and to control. If she rents from an offsite rental they will deliver the EVC to bell services at the resort. She can use it to go to the pool, and get around the resort as well as the bus stop.

Almost all the Disney buses are accessible. I love using my EVC it gives me more independence and helps keep my pain to a minimum. If she decides to rent an EVC (which I highly recommend) she can practice using one at a local store such as Wal Mart or Target. Those are a little bigger than the rental ones but the practice will help.

Disney started mainstreaming most of their lines in the late 1990's. Those in WC/EVC will usually enter in the regular line. She will be able to stay in EVC until just before boarding most of the time.
Sometimes the WC/EVC (along with up to 5 members of your party)may be pulled from the mainstream line part way down so they can board the ride in an
Accessible area. EVC's can't climb steps so sometimes they need to take an elevator. Or they may need to board a ride where the riders usually exit in case
they need an accessible vehicle or need the moving sidewalk slowed or stopped so they can board.

You can pickup a book for Guests with disabilities at Guest Services or you download a copy of the book which is posted on the disABILITIES board.
Have fun at Disney! :wizard:

simonkodousek
05-18-2007, 09:05 PM
I think something on a monorail would be a great idea! The Contemporary Resort might fit you well, but otherwise I recommend the Polynesian.

~Simon :)

minnie61650
05-18-2007, 09:29 PM
might go with Cont.

Polyn has some handicapped rooms in the other lodges - but the main handicapped lodge is Rupa Nui - about as far from the Polyn monrail as you can get.

here is a map
http://www.wdwinfo.com/resortmaps/polymap.htm

but Polyn is the only one where you can walk to the monrail for Epcot.

with the Cont and GF you must take the monrail to the TTC then tranfer to the monrail for Epcot. (this transfer can be quite a long walk and hard on seniors)........

Spicycat is correct most of the HA rooms at the Poly are in the Rupa Nui building. All of those rooms are Garden view not MK view.

Tikiman noted on another thread that there are afew HA not located in in the Rpa Nui section.
There are also 3 rooms in Tokelau on the ground level facing the pool that are HA rooms and one of the princess suites facing the castle has a rool in shower and tub with handrails.

]

Unfortuately none of those HA rooms has a Mk view either.

caspersmom83
05-19-2007, 09:10 AM
I am trying to talk her into getting a ECV but so far it is a no go.
We are going for Christmas so we will probably do the CHristmas party and see the lights. I am brining my 2 kids and my husband so my DH will help.
I think we will skip Epcot this trip.
Thanks for the help.