PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone Stayed at Both ASMo and Pop?

BethR
05-17-2007, 07:50 PM
Would love you hear your comparisons and thoughts on rooms, pools, and food courts.

We stayed at Pop the last 2 years, but haven't been at the All Stars since the late 90's (BEFORE there was Movies).

I really like Pop, but I thought it might be fun to try something new.

maraki527
05-17-2007, 08:08 PM
I stayed at both resorts and like POP Century better. Everything from the rooms, pools, and food court was cleaner and fresher. The room felt dingy and even my 6 yr old niece said that she liked POP better.

BethR
05-17-2007, 08:11 PM
Thanks for your thoughts! I have a room already on hold at Pop. DD wanted me to try to pick something different.

Perhaps I could just tell her that ASMo was booked? :teeth:

jeal
05-17-2007, 08:59 PM
We usually stay at Pop if we are staying at a Value but, for some reason, we ended up staying at Movies in a preferred room a couple of months ago. We really liked Movies (we hadn't been there in years) - in fact, my husband liked it better than Pop. The room we were in was redone and was actually a little nicer than the rooms at Pop. I know people complain about the buses but, truthfully, we don't find any difference in the wait times for the buses for any of the resorts including the deluxe except when the parks close for the night.

BethR
05-18-2007, 09:14 AM
Thanks for your thoughts jeal!

So now we have differing opinions. Do we have a tiebreaker? ;)

spiceycat
05-18-2007, 09:30 AM
Pop love the lake and lake views - Movies doesn't have that.

but I would still go with the Movies - you need to go with different now and then. besides your daughter probably won't stop until she gets to try Movies.

one time and it might be enough for her.

canron
05-18-2007, 09:35 AM
stayed at both lots of times..goion to sports and pop on friday nighit..donnt really like pop that much,,its too big and crowded..4 floors elevator waits are long some times,,food court is packed most of the time..i9trs the newest resort so everyone want to go there.allstars is smaller its coziier..but its buisy at times to..you wonnt get away from paccked food courts at certain times,,but have fun

Tinkerbell_Girl
05-18-2007, 09:37 AM
I've stayed at both and I prefer POP. I like the icons, lake, busses, and food court. But I still would like to stay at ASMo again.

mdparker88
05-18-2007, 09:41 AM
We stayed at Pop 9/05 and ASMo 9/06. We liked ASMo better. We thought the lines were shorter for the buses and enjoyed the theming more. It seemed like we were able to park closer to our room, too. We did miss the frozen coke refills for our mugs and towel animals. We didn't get any of those at ASMo.

arielsleepingbeauty
05-18-2007, 10:11 AM
I have stayed at both. I prefer Movies better, but my DD's 5 and 7 like POP better. I can't come up with any reason for liking Movies better other than the fact that it was a bugger to find POP when driving there. I kept getting lost because there really aren't that many signs for it. Also i felt that the resort was more spread out and it was further to get to the Main building than at Movies. Just my opinion.
My daughters like POP better. They like the theming and the main pool . I thought they would prefer all the movies at ASMO, but they were intrigued by the 80's buildings. To me the food courts and pool are just about the same.
I will stay anywhere that they want to. For us, we really can't go wrong anywhere we stay at Disney. They are all good.

spiceycat
05-18-2007, 10:20 AM
as far as being more crowded

Pop has 2,880 rooms

movies has 1,920 rooms at present.

so definitely more people.

ChrisnKim913
05-18-2007, 10:21 AM
We have stayed at both and to me there is no comparison. Pop Century wins HANDS DOWN! Everything about Pop Century is just a step above AsMo and the rest of the all stars for that matter. The theming is awesome and just the overall feel of the resort is fun and refreshing

disneyfanUSA
05-18-2007, 03:16 PM
I have stayed at both and like asmo better i like the icons the pool the food court and everything better. I also think the buses are just as crowed at pop as they are at allstars and you dont always share a bus with your sister resorts only when its not at busy hour (i know thats why a lot of ppl stay stay at pop)

let us know what you decide!!

Cookie Princess
05-19-2007, 05:53 AM
We have stayed at both and prefer ASMO. We didn't like POP and won't return. The wait for the busses was ugly on our trip and we were there in early November. We also found that we could hear alot more noise coming from the neighbors then when we were at ASMO (conversations, toilets flushing, etc).

dclfun
05-19-2007, 05:58 AM
My kids much prefer the food court at ASMo. Everything they tried at POP was either greasy or cold by the time they got to the table, plus they had different food items at AS Music and we went over there at times since we were in one of the nonpreferred rooms that was actually closer to the food court/bus stop at ASMu. We just stayed at ASMu for one night last month and the newly renovated rooms are gorgeous. Once the renovations at all the AllStars are finished, I'd say I'd also prefer the AllStars to Pop. ---Kathy

Andyjo0930
05-19-2007, 06:37 AM
I have stayed at both and definitely prefer the AS. POP was very crowded, everything just seemd like it was more spread out. We probably will not go to POP again. We are booked for August and are trying to the new family suits at AS Music.

Debbie
05-19-2007, 06:56 AM
We just stayed at ASMu for one night last month and the newly renovated rooms are gorgeous.

Thank you for the :thumbsup2 , Kathy. DD and I are headed to ASMu this August (she's in music at University). The last time I was there, we were way out in Country, and I had a bum knee. Not a pleasant memory! (although the parking was great!). This time, we're flying, the knee isn't so bad, I'm on a fridge swap AND I booked a preferred room. I think I feel like hopping, I'm so excited! It will be nice to spend time with DD, who doesn't come home much these days, too!

ceecee
05-19-2007, 09:24 AM
We have stayed at both ASMo and POP three or four times each. We like POP just because it's newer and fresher. AS are refurbishing rooms though. The food court and pool seems much more crowded at POP, it just seems larger to me. Could be the last few years were more crowded due to the free dining! At any rate, I would get a preferred room. We had such a long walk the first year at POP it was just too much! We ended up cutting through bushes to get to the bus stops a little faster and hardly used our refillable mugs due to the walk to the food court. AND all those stairs as the elevater was on the far side of our room.

bigbabyblues
05-19-2007, 11:30 AM
We've stayed at both and both are fine, but we liked ASMo better. The bus transportation was a little better for us at ASMo, and the food court was definitely more to our liking.

We're staying at Pop again starting next Friday, maybe we'll like it better this time. There was nothing wrong with it the first time, it was clean, mousekeeping was good, but we just liked ASMo better.

Trentmom
05-19-2007, 12:26 PM
We stayed at All Star Movies last year and loved it!!! We got a section in the Toy story Building, and our room was just inside the door that said Andy's room on it..so cool!!

We did Pop this year and loved all of it minus the bathroom noise... The theming is awesome, the buses are way better, they play music from different eras, the pools are super cool!!

Howver, everytime someone next door flushed the toilet, ran the shower or the sink, you could hear it all the way in the beds.....

So, if you are a light sleeper, Pop is not for you!!!

Tinks Girls
05-19-2007, 02:48 PM
:banana: :banana: We stayed at ASmo and POP and we prefer ASmo over POP. Yes, the theming of POP is nice but I really liked (so did DD'S) the theming of ASmo. It is very easy to get around. We stayed in the Toy Story wing on the first floor. The walk to the pool and/or food court was minimal. The kiddie pool is near the bathrooms. At POP we had to take a hike to the bathrooms and with little ones - it's the mad dash once they finally decide they have to go.

We did not like POP's food court at all. The food choices seemed very few and far between. There just seemed to be more af a variety at ASmo. I know that a lot of Dis folks like POP. I guess that I am not one of them.

If I had to go back to either one it would be ASmo in a heart beat! It is my favorite one out of all the value resorts.

Enjoy your trip --- I know that we can ot wait for ours:banana: :banana: :banana:

BethR
05-19-2007, 02:56 PM
Oh wow! ASMo definitely edged ahead!

Well, we have a room on hold already at Pop. And there are so many question marks regarding if we will even be TAKING this trip that I think that I will keep it that way for now. Once we have airfare booked and the trip is a reality, then I will see if we can change it to Movies.

One thing that stands out to me about Pop is that the Hippy Dippy Pool was NEVER crowded! There were a lot of people there, but I think that it is so big that it was never crowded. I liked that.

About the toilet flushing, we definitely heard that when we stayed at Sports and Music. So I think may be the same at all of the values.

Thanks for you opinions, everyone! :)

crossfamily
05-19-2007, 03:02 PM
I've stayed at both hotels.. I am staying at POP this august because last august when we stayed at asmo. and the pool was under construction.. I had a prefered room that took me a lot longer to go around the construction than a non-prefered room would have. I also had very bad housekeeping.. I was there 10 days and they never vacuumed my floors ( I have 3 kids 18months; 3 and 9 at the time) and trust me you knew it. I'm sure as like all hotels its hit or miss on everything.. I would definately stay there again another time.. I think its awsome for kids to see the "big" disney characters.. My kids loved them.. You have already been to POP 2 times so why NOT try asmo..

Trentmom
05-19-2007, 04:52 PM
Oh wow! ASMo definitely edged ahead!

About the toilet flushing, we definitely heard that when we stayed at Sports and Music. So I think may be the same at all of the values.

Thanks for you opinions, everyone! :)

When we stay at Movies last year, never heard the toilet flushing or shower running at all.

At Pop, it was so loud. Then, when you would flush your own toilet, it would make this horrible loud whining noise....DS would hold his ears.....

BethR
05-19-2007, 05:04 PM
I think its awsome for kids to see the "big" disney characters.. My kids loved them..

The "kid" that I was referring to is my youngest, but she also is 14 years old. :teeth:

crossfamily
05-19-2007, 06:14 PM
The "kid" that I was referring to is my youngest, but she also is 14 years old. :teeth:

:rotfl2: thats too funny.. Hey you gotta try it at least once.. Hot lifeguards last time we were there.. (Is that better?;) )

BethR
05-19-2007, 07:50 PM
:rotfl2: thats too funny.. Hey you gotta try it at least once.. Hot lifeguards last time we were there.. (Is that better?;) )

Yes, definitely more appeal! :teeth: (Although in this family, we all love all things Disney so it would be cool to see the Movie icons too. :) )

Charleyann
05-19-2007, 08:27 PM
I had a hard time chosing between ASMo and Pop so I decided to try both! We are going for twenty days, so why not divide and try both?:banana:

Charleyann

Cookie Princess
05-20-2007, 06:16 AM
When we stay at Movies last year, never heard the toilet flushing or shower running at all.

At Pop, it was so loud. Then, when you would flush your own toilet, it would make this horrible loud whining noise....DS would hold his ears.....

We agree. We have stayed at Music and Movies many times and never experienced the level of "neighbor noise" that we did at POP. DH is a heavy sleeper and it bothered him as well.

dclfun
05-20-2007, 06:45 AM
Just to be clear as to what I posted before and to help anyone make a decision- the biggest plus for us for the AS resorts was the food court. If your family likes food courts for breakfast or an occasional dinner then you'll find many more selections and variety at the AS resorts. One time when we'd made a selection at Pop while standing in the line and taking a good look at it, my son lost his appetite and said he couldn't bear to eat another plate of something overcooked, not warm enough, and too greasy. We apologized and gave the plate back. For a teen to not be able to eat something, anything...a teen who at home would grab and go without much thought to it, then I figured it must really not be tolerable. He was okay the first few days but then just couldn't stand it any more. At the AS resorts my kids always found something appealing, esp. the pasta station and salad options. They did, however, really enjoy the frozen icees at Pop but you can't live on icees. Anyway, just wanted to mention that I guess it's important to look at your own priorities and what you want to get out of a resort stay. We never use the pools, for instance, so the feature pool and pool crowding isn't important...but for someone else it might be the tie-breaker. For us it's the food court and the cleanliness/"look" of the room interiors. ---Kathy

Hugpug
05-20-2007, 06:58 AM
I have stayed at both. I like POP except for the room layout did not care for it. I hope all the rooms are not layed out the same. You almost fall over the bed when entering the room no room to get through without opening the door all the way open (bad layout) next time I would request a king room. I liked Movies when I stayed there(Pop was not an option at the time)I stayed in Fantasia right near the pool behine the big hat first floor. Pop I was on 4th floor 50th'S section. I like this resort just not the room layout.