PDA

View Full Version : Just booked AKL, club level!

Kimberle
05-17-2007, 06:59 PM
Please tell me how to make the "most" of our stay here. (We've also stayed Concierge at the CR (14th floor), and Club level at the Royal Pacific/Universal.)

This time, it will be only my 8yo dd and I. (My dh might be able to come down for a few days at the end.) I've requested a Savannah view, close to the pool. I know we'll be using the pool alot. How is the pool slide? (My dd LOVED the one at the Hard Rock.)

I believe the lounge is on the 6th floor. Are all the rooms here as well, or do they still use the 5th? It sounds like a "pain" to take the elevator up a floor. (It'd be nice if they had stairs.) Are the views good from the 6th floor? Do the rooms have DVD players?

Do they stock the fridge with soda's daily like at the CR? Is it the same type of food offerings or does AKL have some other choices? How are the views from the lounge? Is there a balacony here? Where do you check in? (It took us just minutes to check in at CR, on the 14th floor.)

How about the special safari's? How much? How long are they, and did you enjoy them/it?

Are there any spa services at this resort? If so, anyone tried them?

How is the pre-planning service? Did they contact you in advance, or did you need to contact them? (An email address would be great if anyone has one.)

Lastly, how is the bus service? Especially at night, after parades, etc. How long to BB, TL, DTD, and the parks?

TIA!:goodvibes

cobbler
05-17-2007, 07:07 PM
I can't tell you much about club level but I think all AKL club level rooms are now on the 4th floor. The 5th and 6th floor have been converted to DVC.

jmlaw
05-17-2007, 09:49 PM
We did the Sunrise Safari 2 1/2 years ago... we had to be in the concierge lounge by 6 a.m. and it finished with breakfast at Tusker House just before the park opened. It was at least a couple of hours, but worth every minute and every penny! We loved it and the guides were phenomenal! Have not done the Sunset Safari though.

As for your room related questions, its been too long since I stayed there I don't want to give you bad info.

Hope this helps...

dclfun
05-18-2007, 08:02 AM
With the construction of DVC taking place on the 5th and 6th floor, all the concierge rooms now are "standard" size and are on the 3rd and 4th floors. I've been told that the concierge lounge is still on the 6th floor. The only view from the lounge is down into the lobby/atrium but no view of the savannah. Truthfully the savannah view rooms on the 6th floor concierge which were by the lounge had terrible views of the Sunset Savannah or on the other side had a pool view so the room you get now will most likely have a better view. The way it was set up before you could get sodas anytime you wanted but did have to ask for them. The food offerings were the best anywhere, IMO. You should get an online form or one in the mail from IPO that will help them make any reservations you request. I would highly recommend both the Sunrise and the Wildlife Discovery tours. ---Kathy

Redmic
05-18-2007, 09:47 AM
We were there a month ago and our room was on the 5th floor, Kudu Trail right in front of a zebra feeding station.

Breakfast was good, the other servings were extremely scanty, not worth going back to the resort for. Also, be aware that they sometimes pick up the food a little early, so if you plan on having a snack after Illuminations forget about it. We love AKL, but we thought the Club Level at Royal Pacific was better.

The slide is small, but fun. Not as long by any means as the slide at the Hard Rock, but the pool itself has more depth variation than the Hard Rock Pool.

The Sunrise Safari was wonderful and my daughter got lots of good photos.

The busses from the parks seemed really slow compared to the busses we saw from other resorts. However, the AKL doesn't share with any other resort, so the overall commute time is probably the same, you just spend more time in line and less time on the bus.

There are stairs you can take to the 6th floor if you don't want to take the elevator. From our room it was quicker to take the stairs. Just make sure you bring your room key, you need to insert it into a slot to unlock the door.

We booked through Dreams Unlimited, so we had no contact with concierge prior to our arrival. We did use them to print our Southwest Boarding passes for our return flight, which was very convenient.

I bet your 8 year lod will love it there, it is very relaxing after a day in the parks.

Have a great trip!

Aidensmom
05-18-2007, 12:41 PM
I am interested in hearing all this too, we are staying there in November, and I've really been wondering about how all the changes for DVC will effect everything.

Kimberle
05-18-2007, 04:42 PM
Thanks, everybody!

purpliequeen
05-18-2007, 06:00 PM
You are going to have such a fabulous time! :love:

We stayed this past August for a week and thought it was one of the best hotels we have stayed in. The service was wonderful. Our view overlooked the Arusha Savannah. We were in the middle of the zebra trail on the fifth floor so we didn't have that long of a walk to the main elevators. The resort decorations are beautiful and the rooms are wonderfully appointed. We enjoyed taking a little snack from the concierge lounge or meal from the counter service restaurant and enjoying it on our private deck in the evenings.

The drinks are always restocked. Coffee/tea/hot choc., milks, sodas, etc are always available. They make great fresh juices by the way! I don't think soda is available at breakfast, but you can def. ask one of the helpful CMs.
We enjoyed the food choices. Comparing the concierge food at AKL to other resorts, I would think that AKL has a better choice. The desserts are to die for, as they are the same as the desserts served in Jiko and Boma. The food is constantly restocked. But yes, I do agree with one of the previous posters- if the lounge is kind of empty, they may clean up earlier than the stated time, so try to get there at least 10 min before the food is cleaned up. The lounge is pretty chill. I love how it overlooks the main lobby, it's like an oasis.

The Concerige CMs got us the best seats for Cirque de Soleil. It was amazing! We also did the Sunrise Safari, which was SO much fun. What a great experience. I do not know where the breakfast will be held, but I assume that it will still be of the same level. We had our buffet breakfast at Tusker House- it was so cool meeting the chef and having him preside over us during the meal to make sure everything remained stocked and that everyone was satisfied. He actually made tonga toast (the same as the tonga toast served at Kona Cafe). Yum!!!

The buses were not a problem. You will have a great time. Oh and yes, the pool is also wonderful. Sorry I do not know anything about the spa or gym- we were so busy running around trying the cool resort activities and meeting all these different appointments.

amcjeep4life
05-18-2007, 09:04 PM
We are also booked concierge for Sept. 16-22. :cloud9: We have made a ton of ADR's, and the concierge people were awesome. I have the e-mail address, which I will include for you. If you can, deal with Don or Jim, they are both awesome. Of course, I am keeping them both fairly busy with our 4 million questions so you may want to deal with some one else! :lmao: This is our first trip concierge, and only our second trip to WDW. Our nieces, 10 and 12, will be joining us for their first trip ever! We have booked the Sunrise Safari, although no one seems to be able to tell me where we are eating. :rotfl: Perhaps back at Boma? Yak & Yeti won't be open yet, so that's out. Well, I'm sure it will be delish, no matter where we go. Nothing like a little early morning wildlife encounter to whet the appetite! :yay:

Anyway, here is the address I have:

wdw.aklodge.concierge@disney.com

Good Luck!

John's Mom
05-19-2007, 07:04 AM
Just a thought: Since the breakfast after the Sunrise Safari is in a separate room at Tusker House, maybe there won't be a change in the location when the restaurant becomes a buffet.