PDA

View Full Version : Illuminations is leaving EPCOT?

abeyst
05-17-2007, 02:10 PM
Found this on the Theme Park Board. Apparently it's been reported to CMs that Illuminations is being changed. Someone PLEASE say this is a joke.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1456158

Golf4food
05-17-2007, 03:32 PM
I would welcome a change. I find the current Illuminations show to be a bit underwhelming by Disney standards. A new show would be a welcomed improvement. The music is good, but the show is a bit boring. Would like to see more action involved. Fantasmic is cool. Wishes is a great fireworks show. Illuminations just pales in comparison to us.

DC7800
05-17-2007, 05:22 PM
Considering that absolutely nothing was to be done to celebrate the 25th anniversary of Epcot Center, the idea of a new Illuminations show would seem doubtful unless major plans have changed (coincidence?). One poster, over on the strategies board, suggested this change was just temporary for a rehab of the globe. Hmm...don't suppose someone decided to "spin' a necessary rehab as a celebration, do you?

I certainly wish something would be done to recognize the parks history, but I remain skeptical (particularly about the return of Tapestry of Nations/Dreams - I'll believe that when I see it, not before).

I sincerely hope I have to eat those words, of course.

Horace Horsecollar
05-17-2007, 08:05 PM
It makes sense to me that Siemens (and their Sylvania lighting division) would want to be associated with a new, innovative "Illuminations" nighttime show at Epcot rather than a tired, old show.

"Illuminations: Reflections of Earth" is a leftover from the Millennium Celebration. The long sequences of the images on the floating globe seem like filler; they make the show drag on. The globe is large, but it's too small to be seen clearly by most of the audience because the World Showcase Lagoon is huge.

It's time for something new.

MJMcBride
05-17-2007, 10:37 PM

Agreed. Its not that illuminations will be gone, just changed which they have done several times over the years anyway

rodkenrich
05-18-2007, 07:06 AM

Keyser
05-18-2007, 11:32 AM
The long sequences of the images on the floating globe seem like filler; they make the show drag on. The globe is large, but it's too small to be seen clearly by most of the audience because the World Showcase Lagoon is huge.

Wow, I agree entirely. When I finally got a chance to see it last January, I was pretty disappointed, and mainly for the two reasons you list. I'm actually surprised to hear several people agreeing that it's time to change. It seems I've heard a lot of people talk about how "moving" and "meaningful" the show is to them, and I had the impression that this was turning into one of those "untouchable" Disney attractions that people become so emotionally attached to that they'll get incredibly upset if it changes.

jade1
05-18-2007, 04:13 PM
The song is just so good though-get a lump in my throat at some of the parts. Maybe they could keep a some of it in the new creation.

daannzzz
05-18-2007, 04:26 PM
The Globe is an incredible piece of machinery and, from what I understand, is very complicated. Up closee it is very impressive. But It is too small out there in the lagoon and I don't think it makes for a spectacular display. Even though when it opens up and does it's thing it is really cool, I don't think the general population is as impressed as they maybe should be. I thought the pictures on the globe would be more visible. I think a new Illuminations would be exciting.

KidDurango
05-18-2007, 08:35 PM
They are currently working on changing out the pixels on the globe, and doing some touch up work on the globe.
The show itself was designed and built for a ten year life span, so I would expect the majority of the elements to be around that at least that long. The fountain barges that we see today are the original barges that themselves were designed for a ten year lifespan, and are now around 20.
I am not saying they won't make any changes, but I don't see them losing the globe anytime soon since they are investing in changing the pixels.

raidermatt
05-19-2007, 06:20 AM
I have no problems with updates and new effects/technologies being added.

But calling it "tired" misses on two major levels:

1- There has been no indication whatsoever that Illuminations has any popularity problems. Not even any whispers coming out that guests find it "tired". If indeed they are going to now make major changes, I'm sure talk of guest surveys and such will come out, but it doesn't take a genius to figure out that if such talk was legit, it wouldn't have coincidentally been "leaked" at nearly the same time the changes were leaked.

2- If we want to get down to it, Wishes is nothing but a rehash of every other fireworks show ever done at the MK. New effects, different arrangement, but in the end, its the same thing presented in a slightly different way. If we are going to throw out terms like "tired", let's start there. Heck, its current story is remarkably similar to Fantasmic.

Those shows have their place, don't get me wrong, but with all the homogonization going on at the parks, lets not start ripping the things that still provide some uniqueness.

Like I said, update it, add effects, whatever, fine. But what worries me is that we will soon hear that guests never did like Illuminations and nobody understood it, and that's why it was necessary to add the Pixar characters to the storyline...

But fortunately it sounds like the changes won't be that significant, if there's even any truth to it to begin with.

MJMcBride
05-19-2007, 08:42 AM

But calling it "tired" misses on two major levels:

1- There has been no indication whatsoever that Illuminations has any popularity problems. Not even any whispers coming out that guests find it "tired". If indeed they are going to now make major changes, I'm sure talk of guest surveys and such will come out, but it doesn't take a genius to figure out that if such talk was legit, it wouldn't have coincidentally been "leaked" at nearly the same time the changes were leaked.

2- If we want to get down to it, Wishes is nothing but a rehash of every other fireworks show ever done at the MK. New effects, different arrangement, but in the end, its the same thing presented in a slightly different way. If we are going to throw out terms like "tired", let's start there. Heck, its current story is remarkably similar to Fantasmic.

Those shows have their place, don't get me wrong, but with all the homogonization going on at the parks, lets not start ripping the things that still provide some uniqueness.

Like I said, update it, add effects, whatever, fine. But what worries me is that we will soon hear that guests never did like Illuminations and nobody understood it, and that's why it was necessary to add the Pixar characters to the storyline...

But fortunately it sounds like the changes won't be that significant, if there's even any truth to it to begin with.

I'm with you Wishes is nothing compared to Illuminations. The only prob I have with the current show is that it seems to drag as the globe slowly makes it way to the center of the lagoon.

Fantasmic is number 1 in my book. By a lot

MasterShake
05-19-2007, 09:01 AM
I'm not a huge fan of Illuminations; I would welcome a change if it makes the show more exciting.

rwrocksme
05-19-2007, 09:28 AM
If they get rid of Illuminations, I will be absolutely distraught. I cannot stand ANY other Disney nighttime show. Wishes is too loud, Fantasmic is too loud, the MK parade has that really annoying song, ect. I love Illuminations-the beauty of the show is enough to make the noise bearable for me. However, I really don't think they will get rid of it. Or, for that matter, add Nemo and Buzz to the mix. ; )

abeyst
05-19-2007, 10:03 AM

If we want to get down to it, Wishes is nothing but a rehash of every other fireworks show ever done at the MK...these shows have their place, don't get me wrong, but with all the homogonization going on at the parks, lets not start ripping the things that still provide some uniqueness..... what worries me is that we will soon hear that guests never did like Illuminations and nobody understood it, and that's why it was necessary to add the Pixar characters to the storyline...

Homogenized is a great way to explain what's going on. I like that each park is different, I like having 3 different nighttime shows. And I really like that Illuminations is different than the others. What worries me is that they did away with Tapestry of Nations (IMO, because of it's lack of popularity) and they'll do the same thing to Illuminations- but bring back in it's place a fluffy version of Wishes/Fantasmic with a few Japanese shaped fireworks thrown in for good measure.

There has to be some truth - Don Dorsey has it listed on his web site as well. Wikipedia also lists that he's doing a project slated for release in approximately 2009. But we all know how Disney is with dates.

MasterShake
05-19-2007, 10:11 AM
If they get rid of Illuminations, I will be absolutely distraught. I cannot stand ANY other Disney nighttime show. Wishes is too loud, Fantasmic is too loud, the MK parade has that really annoying song, ect. I love Illuminations-the beauty of the show is enough to make the noise bearable for me. However, I really don't think they will get rid of it. Or, for that matter, add Nemo and Buzz to the mix. ; )

Wow, you really hate load noises, have you ever thought about ear plugs?

mousefun
05-19-2007, 07:34 PM
While some parts need improvement, some should be left unchanged. In all honesty, the music to us is the best part. It was partly written by Pirates of the Caribbean music man Lindsay Lewis. He developmed much of the music for Pirates both in the attraction and in the movies.