PDA

View Full Version : SOG Review

jphilhower
05-16-2007, 09:02 PM
We Stayed at sog from May 3rd to the 13th. It was our first time. We stayed offsite on other trip to WDW. This was our second trip. so we can't compare it to other resorts. but I was told by a lady I met at the pool that SOG's rooms are bigger than at the Polyanesion resort. We liked it. The resort was nice, it had a big lobby nicely laid out with a large deck out back. The room was very big and clean. We had a good balcony view of the pool on the secon floor in the old section. The elevator didn't work for the first couple days but we were able to use the service elevator. The staff was friendly. our room was always clean. We onlyate at the resort a couple of times. The food was ok nothing great. The best food was the golf course snack bar by the hot tube location. I liked the Starbucks coffee stand. I used it a lot.
We usde both pools and they were very warm. It was good to relax in them before heading back to the park. Also used the hot was very hot. One day it was so hot you couldn't get in it.
We rented a car and hardly used it. We walked to the Polyanesion for the monorail most of the time. SOG's bus system was ok. we usde the buses to downtown Disney. MGM and animal Kingdom. The bus were always on time. Once we where at MGM and the bus didn't come so we found a bus going to the Poly and hopped on then walked back.
Overall staying at SOG was great. It's convienent and centrally located. The small glitches didn't distract from our experiance staying there. We rally enjoyed it. we will be staying there again next year.
If you have any questions I'll be glad to answer them.

suebert1989
05-19-2007, 04:28 PM
We'll be arriving at SOG in 15 days, YIPEE!:yay:

I have a few questions:
I read that the soap and shampoo are in dispensers...is there plenty in them? or should we bring extra? I hate having to ask housekeeping for more.

How often does the bus go to MGM, AK, and DTD? and how long of a ride is it to those places?

How do the prices in the restaurants and store compare to prices in the rest of the "World"?

Ummmm, I think those are the only questions I couldn't find answers to on this wonderful board! Thanks!!

wiggles02
05-19-2007, 05:58 PM
We just stayed at SOG May 7-11th. Yes, the dispensers are full. We never had to ask for more. Also, I liked the pumps of hand soap near the sink. I hate using bar soap! I brought my own pump soap and never used it. I wish all hotels had this.

I wish I had kept my bus schedule. But something tells me they came every 20 minutes. I remember hopping on one at 10:10. DH thinks they start at 8:20 and run every 20 minutes. You will get all the info in your packet from the front desk.

We didn't eat at any of the restaurants, but my parents did. They love Mangino's. I think the food is cheaper than the rest of the world. I loved having my Starbucks in the morning.

We loved walking to the Poly and catching the monorail in the am. It was very easy. SOG is very quiet and respectful. It was never noisy!

I hope you enjoy your stay. We are lucky enough to be able to stay here because my dad can sponsor us.

Hope that helps!

suebert1989
05-20-2007, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the response!!

Just finishing up all of my exccesive planning.:rolleyes: I appreciate your answers.

My brother is sponsering me and my family. There are 2 adults and 3 teenagers-2 are, spend hours in the bathroom, girls!- so we got the family suite. A great deal considering 2 rooms at any other hotel on site would have cost us alot more! We're excited and it's nice to know it's a very quiet, relaxing resort.:angel:

baileybelle
05-20-2007, 07:09 PM
Here's the bus schedule:

There are 5 SOG buses...
2 buses go back and forth from the TTC every 15 min.
1 bus goes to Animal Kingdom/Blizzard Beach every hour
1 bus goes to MGM on the hour
1 bus goes to Downtown Disney every hour starting at 6:30PM-3:AM

The food is a lot cheaper than the rest of the world plus no tax. The store has lots of stuff and again no tax.

plutospup
05-20-2007, 10:43 PM
Thanks for the info! We'll be staying at SOG in July, and can't wait. I heard there is a putting green at the resort. Is there a charge for this?

crcurton
05-21-2007, 09:05 AM
:banana: It's going to be our first time at SOG in less than 3 weeks!! Thanks for the info!:woohoo:

1andrea
05-21-2007, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the response!!

Just finishing up all of my exccesive planning.:rolleyes: I appreciate your answers.

My brother is sponsering me and my family. There are 2 adults and 3 teenagers-2 are, spend hours in the bathroom, girls!- so we got the family suite. A great deal considering 2 rooms at any other hotel on site would have cost us alot more! We're excited and it's nice to know it's a very quiet, relaxing resort.:angel:

What is sponsering?

suebert1989
05-21-2007, 10:54 AM
SOG is a military resort...you have to be an active/retired military personnel to stay there, but they can "sponser" up to 3 rooms. Meaning as long as they are staying there then they can have family/friends also stay in the resort...up to 3 rooms.

Hope that explanation is clear.:confused: :laughing:

hercamore
05-21-2007, 11:31 AM
Hi,

DD and I may stay at SOG sometime later this year fo rthe first time. Her DH is training at NAS in Pensacola, so timing/training issues are involved here with getting some time off. .

Anyway, the MK bus takes you to the TTC, is that correct.

How long is the walk to the monorail areas from SOG?

Thanks,
herc.

baileybelle
05-21-2007, 01:10 PM
Yes, the bus takes you to the TTC.

I would estimate a 15-20 minute walk to the TTC. You can also pick up the monorail across the street at the Poly.

ObsessedwiththeMouse
05-21-2007, 02:11 PM
So glad to hear you had a good time! :thumbsup2

Do you have any pictures to share???