PDA

View Full Version : Must-do's at AKL???

crazee4disney
05-16-2007, 11:55 AM
:woohoo: First trip to WDW for my parents in November... (Our second trip.)

Dad is so excited about staying at AKL. Any suggestions of what we cannot miss doing? We opted for just a standard room b/c it was already an up in price to go from Value to Moderate to Deluxe resort, so we won't be on the Savannah although we'd love to.

DD8 wants to of course check out everything they offer at the resort, but my dad is equally excited... Just thought I'd check with the experts!!

We have ressies to Boma and will be there for 7 days, parks for 6.

Thanks!!:flower3:

space ranger 1
05-16-2007, 01:26 PM
I am eagerly waiting to hear some suggestions too. We only have 114 days left to plan.......... :goodvibes

budbeerlady
05-16-2007, 01:32 PM
Use the night vision googles one night, it is very cool to do!

We stayed in a standard room, it was just fine. In fact we were in the 2 standard rooms by the bus stop. If you are there use the service door, keeps you from going all the way to the lobby to double back around to your room!

wvdislover
05-16-2007, 02:12 PM
We'll be there in Sept., staying at AKL for the first time, so I'm looking forward to hearing everyone's suggestions, too.

soccerEAGLE09
05-16-2007, 02:20 PM
My List of AKL To-Do's.
(in no particular order!)

1. Night Vision Goggles!! (Viewing the animals with those is awesome. Ask about that at the front desk)
2. We liked to sit by the huge campfire.
3. Boma. (You've got that taken care of! Have a Zebra Dome for me!)
4. Jiko. (More of an adults restuarant.)
5. The pool. (Its nice:))

Don't be discouraged about not having a savannah view. There are plenty of places for you to see the animals. (When you're outside..or even walking down the hallways).

Enjoy your trip!

Nancyg56
05-16-2007, 05:36 PM
CHeck out the activities board. I enjoyed the culinary tour. I liked the information about Jiko, but two chefs in Boma discussed the foods and how they were prepared.

I would also suggest checking out the artwork that is all over the resort. I did not sign up for the art tour, but I wish that I had.

Also take time to chat with the guides. They will talk to you about their homeland.

DizznyChick
05-16-2007, 06:15 PM
AKL is my favorite !! just walking around and taking it all in is so much fun.
the night vision is fun too
and the kids favorite was the bead necklace they got to make after doing certain tasks-they got a bead for each task they finished
and the tasks to get a bead were a lot of fun

the pool is so relaxing

they have a parade that starts at the shop-all the kids pick out an instrument and parade around the lobby with the musical instruments !!

we had the 1st seating at breakfast in maya most days-hardly any people and perfect for getting to the parks at opening

ummmm.....if you explore the resort there are many alcoves to see the animals that not many people seem to know about

its obvious i love this place and cant say enough about it

have fun !!

ckmoore
05-16-2007, 06:24 PM
I love AKL too!!!!! I agree with what the other post said about earning the beads by doing activities. It was soooo cool. Also, as part of that we went on a scavenger hunt that lead us through the resort to find different African artifacts and answer questions about them. This is a great family activity, and the artifacts are truly unbelievable. There are plenty of veiwing areas throughout the resort with big beautful rockers and viewfinders. I would take a class of wine and just hang out for a while. It really transports you to a different place. Enjoy your trip! It's great that all the generations are equally excited.

helloirishkitty
05-16-2007, 06:31 PM
AKL is my all-time favorite (so far) but it really is amazing.:thumbsup2

We paid for a standard view room, but were upgraded to a Savannah view which turned out to be one of the highlights of our trip. We have so many pictures of giraffes! heh

The two restaurants in the hotel, Boma and Jiko are both excellent and two of the best in the World. (at least in my opinion). My roomate is super-picky and turned her head with some of the selections at Boma, but other than that, enjoyed it immensly.

The pool is nice too, especially the whirlpools that are located randomly around the edges. Very relaxing after a long day at the parks :)

geffric
05-16-2007, 06:38 PM
We did a hidden Mickey tour there too..

Loved the night vision goggles... and WTB we had a regular room reserved and were upgraded to a savannah view too.

saving4nexttrip
05-16-2007, 08:08 PM
We stayed at AKL in April and absolutely LOVED it...we paid for a standard room and got upgraded to a Savannah view with bunk beds. Too cool! The pool was awesome and everyday we were there, CMs would invite the kids to join them in special activities (bracelet making, water basketball games, etc.).

We did Storytelling at the firepit and a gentleman named Willi taught us some African vocabulary, told us a traditional African tale, and then led the kids to the marketplace where they each picked out a traditional African musical instrument. He led a parade around the lobby, stopping in the center to teach them a tribal dance. It was truly priceless. At the end, he visited with each child and gave them a signed certificate. This was a highlight of the trip.

We wanted to do cookie decorating, but were always tied up at the assigned times. The night-vision goggles were cool, but know that there was only 1 pair. When we went, there were about 10 people waiting to use them. We each got a turn but felt rushed. I envisioned checking out a pair of my own and returning them soon after...didn't happen.

If weather permits, sleep with your door open on the balcony. We were serenaded each night by giraffes, ostriches, and warthogs. Then in the mornings, when the trucks came through with breakfast for the animals, you could rush out and see them running behind. You will have a wonderful trip!

disneydance
05-16-2007, 10:51 PM
subscribing we only have like 37 more days left to plan for wdw and really havent found out anything on the resort other than you see and animal we already book boma and have a savannah view room i know about the night vision goggle and the savannah but whaat else

disneydance
05-16-2007, 10:55 PM
also we are staying at the resort so no prob to us but our peoplr not staying at the resort alout to use the night vision goggle and the pool just wondering

DizznyChick
05-17-2007, 03:32 AM
i have to agree with the other poster about leaving the sliding doors open-once when we stayed there we had our best view yet overlooking the hot tub and just to the right was the pelican pool ? but when we came back for a rest each afternoon it was so peaceful we kept the doors open with the sheer curtains closed-ahhhhh the breeze and the sounds
i have to get back there

also at check in we got a check off sheet with all the animals at the resort-my son and i had a lot of fun doing that

crazee4disney
05-17-2007, 08:40 AM
:thumbsup2 Thank you so much for the great tips, and keep them coming!

We have a free day on Wednesday and hadn't decided what park to go to yet, but I'm thinking we may just stay at the hotel and enjoy it! My daughter (AND DAD) will love all the activities, storytelling, etc. My dad is really a kid at heart and loves doing the activities with my DD8. I'm sure I will be able to get some great pics.:banana:

:idea: And thanks for the tip about the culinary tour - my mom will LOVE this! I was worried about finding things that will interest her at Disney (knew she'd love Epcot, but didn't know about the rest...). She loves the Food Network, Top Chef, cooking in general... She will love that tour.

Thanks again and keep 'em coming!!! popcorn::

clownfish1452
05-17-2007, 09:22 AM
Thank You for the ideas. Im going in august was thinking the same thing dont want to miss anything.

Sarah

marylouwho
05-17-2007, 09:40 AM
Thanks so much for the tips, everyone! We just booked our trip 2 days ago and I really don't know much about ALK.

You guys are the best! :cool1:

larkles
05-17-2007, 04:52 PM
Thanks! I'll be there June 9th :banana:

dbarker
05-17-2007, 06:16 PM
Bring your own binoculars. You will use them. You can also use them at AK on the Safari ride.

Also, don't forget the camera and extra film / memory sticks.

The CMs at AKL are some of the friendliest I have encountered. They are all eager and willing to talk about their home land and the animals. They all are very knowledgable about all the animals.

Check out the Activities board or just ask a CM about different activities.

You do not have to be staying at AKL to enjoy the activities. However, the pool is for AKL guests only. In other words, if you are not staying at AKL you cannot swim in the pool, but you can go to the story telling, take the tours, march in the parade, view the animals, etc.

WDWVillain
05-17-2007, 06:18 PM
thanks for all the tips also!! I go in sept. and I picked this resort so I can spend time there. Due to bad knee, I plan on uitizing the resort more. so I am glad there are things to do!! Do you need to sign up for tours in the AKL before arrival? or is it ok to wait and see therer schedules once there?
~thanks

ADP
05-17-2007, 06:35 PM
Let's see:

1. Bush Camp (Your DD8 will love that) There is a fee and reservations are required.
2. View the animals on the Savanna
3. African storytelling at the fire pit around dusk
4. Zebra Domes at Boma
5. Sitting at the Uzima Springs pool bar and soaking up the atmosphere
6. Relaxing with a drink at Victoria Falls bar and lounge in the evening

lovin'DVC
05-23-2007, 05:59 AM
AKL is my family's favorite resort, hands down. When we've stayed here we've made sure to plan days just at the resort, and we've enjoyed them more than the park days, by far!

The cast members are so friendly and the activities are wonderful. Be sure to check the board that lists the activities and try them all out. You do not need a savannah room to see animals! We have not paid for one. We were upgraded and didn't see any animals from our room. Glad we didn't pay for it. The animals go where they want, and even if there are animals near your room, the animals are segregated into certain trails, so you'll want to check out the various viewing areas of the hotel anyway to see different animals.

The only downside I can see to this resort is that it can take a bit longer to get to some of the parks on the buses, and that after a few days the choices at the Mara get a bit stale. The only other gotchas we've experienced here is that if you have young kids that drink from straws, make sure you bring them with you. They do not have them at the resort to prevent them from getting in to the animals' areas. And you are not able to bring balloons back to the resort, same reason.

Terry