PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Choose Resorts...

roryc
05-10-2007, 11:28 AM
Okay, so I've got a conference in Orlando and I'm able to add 1 night on site at Disney and I can't decide where to stay (the conference is not on-site).

I've booked Garden View at the Grand Floridian and even with AAA, the rate is about $435 (incl. taxes). I thought I might do a spa treatment and I've got reservations at Narcoossee's for dinner. I'm thinking relaxation, swimming pool, maybe heading over to a park at night when it's cooler. But no fast and furious agenda by any means.

I stayed at the GF in January with family and we stayed in RPC concierge. I absolutely can't justify the cost of that for one person. It was awesome with my toddler so I could get juice and milk, but I can't see my using it enough to justify the cost. So it's GF Garden view or,

Now I'm thinking I like the GF because of the monorail so maybe try the Contemporary. I can get in at the Garden View rooms there for like $350 (AAA rate). I could even walk to MK. I've never stayed at the Contemporary. I could eat at California Grill maybe.

Or, maybe Wilderness Lodge...it's even cheaper at $270 for the standard room. I could boat over to MK so that's the next best thing to a monorail, right? Never stayed at the WL.

Or, maybe I should just do something completely different and do Animal Kingdom Lodge...pool view for $285. Never been there either.

So, no kids, no anybody else but me...money's not the biggest factor...although I'm not paying more than the GF garden view rate;)where would you stay between these four choices?

summerlandjeff
05-10-2007, 12:23 PM
Did you forget the Polynesian? Out of all the monorail resorts, this is the one I've always wanted experience (never stayed in any!) Just think, by yourself in a relaxing tropical setting with awesome views of the park, great restaurants and a great tropical bar!:thumbsup2
Alright I've talked myself into it!!!:lmao:

beccasmom
05-10-2007, 12:43 PM
The CR is great, but not to everyone's taste. We used to stay there all the time (before we became DVC members) and loved it. We regularly stayed in one of the garden wings, which are very quiet, but separate from the main building. There is construction going on there now, I believe, and I do not know how long that will continue. Some folks believe the CR is not that most relaxing resort, but it's always been my sentimental favorite. :)

The Poly is very nice as well. I'm not a big fan - and in the minority, I know! -:guilty: but the grounds are lovely and the staff is very pleasant. I think the rooms are a little dark - maybe we just had bad luck with our room, though. I could never quite get into the spirit of things while there - different strokes, I guess.

I love the GF, but yes, it is pricey. Worth the extra $$$? For a family trip, probably not for us. We've stayed there on a just-us trip and really enjoyed ourselves, although DH thinks the room decor is a little over-the-top :rolleyes: (I love it!). With the spa right there, it seems just right for a little be-good-to-me splurge. If you can swing it financially, go for it!

roryc
05-10-2007, 02:42 PM
Summerlandjeff, No I didn't forget the Poly...it's just that there aren't any reasonably-priced (is that even possible anytime:rotfl: ) rooms left. So, they've only got Theme Park View at like $580 available...that and Club Level so I ruled that one out from the start;)

beccasmom, I guess I needed someone to talk me into why I booked the Grand Floridian in the first place. I do want to relax. When we were there in January we went swimming in the pool one day (I think we were the only ones;))but I didn't get to relax and enjoy the grounds very much.

I was just wondering what everyone else thought about the other resorts I mentioned and whether anyone's ever been to one solo...whether one is better over the others.

Thanks!