PDA

View Full Version : Poly Pros and Cons

ToyStory
05-10-2007, 09:10 AM
I was fortunate enough to get a great upsell to the Poly. We were originally going to stay at CSR and I was looking forward to it. My sons were looking forward to the Dig Site. However, something is nagging me about staying at the Poly. So here is my Pro and Con list so far.

Pros:

Deluxe resort
Queen beds and day bed / compare to 2 full size beds
The monorail to MK and Epcot plan on spending 4 days or nights at MK and 2 days at Epcot. This a biggie for DH.
Close by to the restaurants we are eating at (Kona, 'Ohanas, CM and WCC)
My sons can play on the beach (ages 4 and 9)

Cons:

My mom reminded me the last time while we were going to 'Ohanas walking through the grounds I made a comment that it spelt moldy.
The volcano pool looks small for the size of the resort. Hate crowded pools.
No actual hot tub, but I heard about the jetted area in the main pool.
Only 1 quite pool.
Counter service is limited compared to the Pepper Market.

Netural:

Themeing. I like the themeing of both resorts so that isn't an issue.

I think my main issue is with the pools after reading this list. We plan on taking breaks everyday to enjoy the resort's pool and activities.

So any other pros or cons would be greatly apprecitated. I don't want to have "buyers" remorse. The extra money really isn't the issue as long as it is worth the extra money. If that makes any sense.

Thanks.

megnsamsgracie
05-10-2007, 09:29 AM
From what I read on the UPSELL thread that just because you were offered it once, doesnt mean it will be there again.. not sure if you actually did book it when offered though. Good luck... we would love to stay at the Poly since MK is our favorite park... and the monorail makes it easy but for cost factors (needing 2 rooms) we are going to stay at CSR or CBR I think. Good luck!

ToyStory
05-10-2007, 09:36 AM
From what I read on the UPSELL thread that just because you were offered it once, doesnt mean it will be there again.. not sure if you actually did book it when offered though. Good luck... we would love to stay at the Poly since MK is our favorite park... and the monorail makes it easy but for cost factors (needing 2 rooms) we are going to stay at CSR or CBR I think. Good luck!

I already booked it and just need to make my deposit. I still have my CSR vacation package with AAA that I need to cancel if I decide to stay with the Poly.

Pennykay
05-10-2007, 09:39 AM
How much more a night is it?

cara loves the poly
05-10-2007, 09:40 AM
We've stayed there twice and NEVER smelled anythin "moldy"! The rooms are great and the resort is great! All of the rooms have been newly renovated! Here is a picture:
http://http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j129/cspencer17/polyroom2005.jpg

cara loves the poly
05-10-2007, 09:41 AM
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j129/cspencer17/polyroom2005.jpg

cara loves the poly
05-10-2007, 09:42 AM
view from balcony:
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j129/cspencer17/disney2006part1072.jpg

Traveliz
05-10-2007, 09:48 AM
I took my niece and nephew (4 & 6) at the time and they LOVED both the Volcano Pool and the other pool (which is pretty large in reality).

They ask about going back all the time.

Captain Cook's might not be as extensive as a food court but it is fine.

And the convenience of the monorail, the view from the pool and beach, being able to see Wishes and the EWP, I would not pass it up.

Liz

Caitsmama
05-10-2007, 09:49 AM
We are booked for the first time at the POLY in November, and i am so looking forward to it -- i am sure your kids will love it!

Caitsmama
05-10-2007, 09:50 AM
view from balcony:

Ohhhhh.. THANK YOU for this pic!!!! :love: We are stayed Lagoon View Conceirge in Nov, and this is the sight we will get to wake up to every day!! :cloud9: :cloud9: :banana:

cara loves the poly
05-10-2007, 09:52 AM
Caitsmama, you're welcome! I wish you a great stay!!!

ToyStory
05-10-2007, 09:52 AM
How much more a night is it?

I didn't think of that for that perspective since we have a package, but the package difference is $624.64. Therefore if you divide that by 8 nights it is a $78.08 a night.

Those pictures are beautiful. I just booked a garden view room, but there is always the beach.

Pennykay
05-10-2007, 10:02 AM
For that small difference, I wouldn't hesitate to change. Stay at Coronodo next time! :goodvibes

Allison
05-10-2007, 10:23 AM
I have 3 kids who love the pool. We went in June which is a very busy time and didn't have a problem with the pool being too crowded. They are super excited to be going back on our next trip.

Laugh O. Grams
05-10-2007, 10:32 AM

view from balcony:

Those seal the deal for me!! :thumbsup2

We'll be there come June 30th!!!

tink_lover
05-10-2007, 03:10 PM
Cara Loves Poly - thanks for the beautiful pictures. We are looking at staying at the Poly next year. Quick question - is that considered a lagoon view room and not a MK view? It looks incredible! Thanks.

TexDisneyMom
05-10-2007, 04:39 PM
Awesome pictures - thanks for sharing!!!:goodvibes

ToyStory
05-10-2007, 10:11 PM
Thanks again. So I am proud to say that we are Poly bound. :thumbsup2 I hope I don't get too spoiled and can't go back and try CSR. We won't be going back to Disney for at least 5 years after this trip. :scared1: Other places to see and spend money on. So I am glad that we got this opportunity.

I showed DH the picture of the room like it. He liked the flat screen TV. :happytv: I am sure my younger one will like the zero entry pool plus playing on the beach too. The oldest will like the slide. That was his only requirement. He liked the way the slide looked at CSR.

My mom who is traveling with us, staying in a different room with my oldest son, only concern is staying near a quite pool. She likes to sit on a chaise lounge and read and just get away from the kids at times during the vacation. I wish I could have that luxury. :rotfl2: So now she can have a pool or the beach. I am just going to request a room near the quite pool. It is not an option for her to share the room with us. DH likes his privacy and for myself if I want to be talking to her after the trip we need space from each other.

Caitsmama
05-11-2007, 08:10 AM
Quick question - is that considered a lagoon view room and not a MK view? It looks incredible! Thanks.

A LV room IS a MK view room, it's one and the same. :thumbsup2

ToyStory -- Glad you booked it! I am sure you will love it!

ConcKahuna
05-11-2007, 08:43 AM
A LV room IS a MK view room, it's one and the same. :thumbsup2

ToyStory -- Glad you booked it! I am sure you will love it!

The Poly actually has 2 different categories, one is LV the other MK. LV rooms overlook the lake, but may not have a view of the castle. MK view have a view of the castle. There is however only one category for concierge, and that is LV. Most of the CLV have great views of the castle, and the few that don't still have amazing views. :thumbsup2

cara loves the poly
05-11-2007, 10:12 AM
Cara Loves Poly - thanks for the beautiful pictures. We are looking at staying at the Poly next year. Quick question - is that considered a lagoon view room and not a MK view? It looks incredible! Thanks.

Our first year MK view was not an option, we stayed lagoon view in Tahiti. The second year we stayed lagoon view concierge. Both had equally awesome views!!

kaysmommie
05-11-2007, 11:10 AM
Cons
1 crowded pool
2 Price $
3 sinks inside bathroom,only 1 usually

That is all I could think of, the hot ub issue doesn't bother me.

Pros
1 nice large rooms
2 theme
3 monorail
4 restaurants are really good
5 watching/ EWP wishes from the beach :beach:

I know there must be more

Caitsmama
05-11-2007, 08:10 PM
The Poly actually has 2 different categories, one is LV the other MK. LV rooms overlook the lake, but may not have a view of the castle. MK view have a view of the castle. There is however only one category for concierge, and that is LV. Most of the CLV have great views of the castle, and the few that don't still have amazing views. :thumbsup2

Thanks for clarifying! :thumbsup2 I am new to the POLY, but we are staying LVC so i was told we will have a nice view of the castle (we requested 3rd floor, and we are in the Hawaii building.).. so i assumed all LV's were of the castle. ;)

LoveThatDarnMouse
05-11-2007, 08:16 PM
Can't go wrong at the Poly usually. We had a couple room issues last time but overall, the resort is just awesome with its theming and location. My 3 kids loved the pool.

cara loves the poly
05-11-2007, 09:55 PM
Thanks for clarifying! :thumbsup2 I am new to the POLY, but we are staying LVC so i was told we will have a nice view of the castle (we requested 3rd floor, and we are in the Hawaii building.).. so i assumed all LV's were of the castle. ;)

You will have a wonderful view of the castle!!!!!!!!!!

kaysmommie
05-12-2007, 08:01 AM
Can't go wrong at the Poly usually. We had a couple room issues last time but overall, the resort is just awesome with its theming and location. My 3 kids loved the pool.

Can you tell me what kind of room issues? thanks in advance.:goodvibes

dancemomnj
05-15-2007, 05:53 AM
Very interested in this. We are staying at CSR July 1st-6th. My husband just said mabye we could switch to the Poly. It will be over $1,100 more so I don't think we will. Not sure what to do...:confused3

cara loves the poly
05-15-2007, 07:24 AM
Kaysmommie, I'm going to guess one of the room issues was the air conditioner, I guess it has some kind of motion sensor and will shut off, you just have to turn it back on. There is also a way to override it. It really wasn't a big deal for us, we actually had someone from maintenance come up and "fix" it for us! The lighting in the bathroom is very dim. Those are the most common complaints!

kaysmommie
05-15-2007, 08:09 AM
Kaysmommie, I'm going to guess one of the room issues was the air conditioner, I guess it has some kind of motion sensor and will shut off, you just have to turn it back on. There is also a way to override it. It really wasn't a big deal for us, we actually had someone from maintenance come up and "fix" it for us! The lighting in the bathroom is very dim. Those are the most common complaints!

That could be it. The batroom light was very dim in our room as well. But I wrote down how to overide the AC courtesy of another Disser.

Kara
05-15-2007, 09:55 AM
LOVE the pictures of the view! We are going in NOV and I can't wait!!:cheer2:

Tikiman
05-15-2007, 10:18 AM
That could be it. The batroom light was very dim in our room as well. But I wrote down how to overide the AC courtesy of another Disser.

You know it is funny because I heard a few times about dim lighting in the new bathrooms but once we got there I had more than enough light, almost too many with the canned lighting in the ceiling and the lights above the sink. Here are photos from our room.

http://www.tikiman2001.homestead.com/IMG_0968.JPG

MHTeacher
05-15-2007, 10:35 AM
You know it is funny because I heard a few times about dim lighting in the new bathrooms but once we got there I had more than enough light, almost too many with the canned lighting in the ceiling and the lights above the sink. Here are photos from our room.

OH Tikiman----I'm so glad to see this recent post from you ! I used your website so much in planning our March trip. It was our first stay at the Poly, and we are sold. We had GV, so we requested 3rd floor Tokelau, and got just that. We had a fantastic time....thanks for all you do!

Sorry OP, didn't mean to hijack the thread, but I just had to tell tikiman how great his website is! So to stay on topic....YES, take the Poly over CSR for that small price difference. You will love it!

Tikiman
05-15-2007, 10:58 AM
Thanks MHTeacher. Tokelau is a great spot to be in.

cara loves the poly
05-15-2007, 11:59 AM

When you're a woman trying to put on makeup, it's horrible. I had to do mine in front of the mirror above the daybed.

Tikiman
05-15-2007, 12:24 PM
I trust your judgment, I am just surprised. Most bathrooms I have ever been in are not as bright as this was. It was much brighter than it was in the past and it was brighter than the bathroom at the Swan or Boardwalk. There were 3 canned lights right above the sink and the two next to the mirror and they were extremely bright. I felt like a french-fry waiting under the heat lamps ;)

disneyfan67
05-15-2007, 01:17 PM
Glad to see you're back posting here, Steve and I'll be seeing you in person in about 2 months or so. The thought of being at the Poly for 7 nights starting July 28th is something my wife and I look forward and think about everyday.

To the OP: You will be so glad you made the upgrade and the Poly has very few cons against it. To me the price and the lack of a hot tub are the only faults I can think of. It sounds like you got a very good deal though and I'm glad you took it. The Polynesian is one of the most relaxing resorts I've ever stayed at and it's a welcome relief coming home to it after a day in the parks. The whole place gives off a cool, relaxing vibe along with kind of a retro feel, yet it's fully modern at the same time. It one of the original resorts when WDW opened in 1971 and is a Disney classic, IMO. I think Walt Disney would be happy to see that so many people have stayed at it over the years and have so many fond memories. I know I do. With everything in the modern world we live in, changing so much and people using terms like going Global, etc, it's nice to see a classic like Polynesian still going strong. The resort has had many upgrades and changes through out the years since it opened, but the true essence of it or the heart and soul of it, are still intact. It has a very unique place in my heart and this is coming from a cynical 40 year old man, who isn't a fan of many things in life today. If the Disney corporation announced plans to tear down the Poly and put a new "mega resort" in it's place, I would not only be very disappointed, but probably would be done with going to WDW. The Polynesian is a big part of the trip for my family and complements it and adds to it. I love how my kids (who are both special needs children) like when I go to Steve's website (Tikiman) and talk about what they like and remember. My family has had some priceless moments and memories in our 3 stays at the Polynesian and to the OP, I hope yours does to. Have a great trip!:thumbsup2

See ya in July, Steve!

Eddie.

ADP
05-15-2007, 01:42 PM
Totally agree with Disneyfan67!

See you in July! :cool1:

cara loves the poly
05-15-2007, 01:45 PM
I trust your judgment, I am just surprised. Most bathrooms I have ever been in are not as bright as this was. It was much brighter than it was in the past and it was brighter than the bathroom at the Swan or Boardwalk. There were 3 canned lights right above the sink and the two next to the mirror and they were extremely bright. I felt like a french-fry waiting under the heat lamps ;)

I'm not a lighting expert, lol, it may be the type of bulb, all I know is I may have ended up looking like a clown if I did my makeup in there! LOL! It was like that both of my stays.

Minnie
05-15-2007, 01:54 PM

Cara or anyone....

The view not withstanding is this a picture of a "standard" room at the Poly????? Or is it much larger than standard? Also is the daybed a standard part of the rooms :confused3 We stayed at the BC last year is the size similar?

Considering booking offsite this trip but this pic just may have sold me on staying on site.

checkwriter
05-15-2007, 02:00 PM
I'd also point out that the Poly is a much more compact resort than CSR. Your walk from your room to the pool or the Ceremonial House, or the TTC (for the Epcot monorail) will be much more manageable than what you might be facing at CSR.

Seems like you're getting a good deal. I'd go for it.

disneyfan67
05-15-2007, 02:17 PM
Cara or anyone....

The view not withstanding is this a picture of a "standard" room at the Poly????? Or is it much larger than standard? Also is the daybed a standard part of the rooms :confused3 We stayed at the BC last year is the size similar?

Considering booking offsite this trip but this pic just may have sold me on staying on site.

All the rooms (except for the suites) at the Poly are basically the same, just in different categories MK views, Lagoon View, etc. Even the concierge building (Hawaii) the room is the same as the one you would get in a standard garden view, with the expectation of a DVD player and the concierge services. The room picture that Cara posted looks similar to any of the long houses. There's no larger deluxe Queen rooms or kid suites like there is at the on site Universal resorts PBH, HRH, RPR. That's one of the reasons why I don't go for a MK or Lagoon view room and the extra cost, because once the curtain is shut, the rooms are the same. For the money, I would book a GVC room and enjoy the view from the lounge, yet still have the services concierge provides and be in the Hawaii building. If those special view rooms were much larger than a standard one, then I would consider it.

Put it this way: I would rather be at the Poly and have a garden view at a affordable price, then be at another resort and be given/upgraded to a fancy view. The Polynesian is well landscaped and beautiful, there's really no such thing as a bad view, IMO. I had a 3rd floor room in the Samoa building that overlooked the Volcano pool and it was simply beautiful. I spent many of a early morning drinking my coffee on that balcony and soaking it all in. You can't go wrong with the Poly, IMO.

Note to add: I'm not slamming anyone who pays for a MK or Lagoon view and more power to you, if that's what you enjoy. For what they charge for that view, my family finds it more economical to go garden view. To me staying at the Poly is the most important thing.

cara loves the poly
05-15-2007, 02:53 PM
Cara or anyone....

This is what every room looks like!!! Reguardless of the view you choose!

Tikiman
05-15-2007, 03:23 PM
Cara or anyone....

As they mentioned already all rooms are the same layout (or reversed) and have the daybed. That photo was of the test room in Aotearoa back in 2005 and it is one of the smaller rooms (415 sq ft) but still larger than most deluxe resort rooms that are not usually even over 400 sqft. There are some rooms that are even larger (476 sqft) so what you see there is the smallest you would get.

Caitsmama
05-15-2007, 03:31 PM
LOVE the pictures of the view! We are going in NOV and I can't wait!!:cheer2:

Kara -- i think we will be at the Poly together! :) What are your dates?? We will be there Nov. 17th - 25th. :banana:

princess mom of 4
05-15-2007, 05:27 PM
Hoping perhaps Tikiman or another Dis-er will know answer to this: Are the wheelchair accessible rooms in RapaNui any larger? I suppose the bath must be larger, to accomodate a wheelchair next to the toilet, so I'm worried that the square footage of the bedroom might be decreased, to equal the same overall...anybody know? No matter what the size though, we are so over the top excited about our trip in December!

Tikiman
05-15-2007, 07:13 PM
The room size outside the bathroom is the same. They made the sink area smaller and rearranged the layout in the bathroom to allow for the space. Also the rooms in Tokelau and Rapa Nui that are the later construction that had larger rooms than the original longhouses.