PDA

View Full Version : Would you do this?

dennisnlisab96
05-09-2007, 06:18 PM
We are going to WDW in August for the first time this year. It is DH, me & our 6:laughing: kids (15, 13, 10, 8, 5, 4). I was thing about only going to the parks in the evening...after 4 or 5. Any feed back would be great!!!!:upsidedow

Dicecatt
05-09-2007, 06:29 PM
Personally, I wouldn't do it. In August the parks are still busy, if you plan on going on many of the popular rides, fast passes could be completely gone, so you'll either miss the best rides or wait in over an hour lines for them. Soarin, for one...easily a 70 minute line after 10 AM, and fp runs out.

My suggestion is to get the troops up early, get to the parks at opening, hit a bunch of rides, get a few fast passes. Take a leisurely afternoon break, go back in the evening and use some of those fast passes and ride some of the rides that generally don't have lines...TTA, Carousel of Progress, Stitch, Universe of Energy, see some shows...

Animal Kingdom usually closes between 5 & 7...

You will miss a LOT if you only go in the evenings. If you want to do that a couple of times, I suggest it...do mornings and take some evenings off too! Stagger your plans so you get lots of park time but lots of relaxation too.

Lisa Hale
05-09-2007, 06:30 PM
Totally a personal preference thing. If it would be easier to deal with only evenings, that's an option. I'm sure you've thought through how much you want to do vs. how many hours that will give you in each park. We go early in the day, leave at lunch to go back to the resort for napping, swimming, relaxing, etc. and then go back in the evenings in time for dinner and to catch some of the evening parades or fireworks. The EMH will help extend your day if you go to that park, too. It may even be that one parent may take the older kids for a few hours while the other occupies the youngers for a bit at the resort (we've done that and it works well with ours being so far apart in age - wasn't planned that way but worked out that way). Lots of options and even after you get there, you may change your schedule. Either way, try not to stress ahead of time, managing your expectations will save lots of headaches and frustrations.

Enjoy! Oh, and congrats on having such a great sized family! :grouphug:

MariaElleršoš
05-09-2007, 07:09 PM
I would have to vote against waiting until that late in the day to go to any parks, especially with the number of people in your party and ages. It's going to take longer for your size group to move around in the parks. I would suggest going when the park first opens, but take it as leisurely as you can through the day and evening. Also be aware of opening and closing times. AK closes early and you certainly won't be able to see or do much at the other parks from 4-9.

Blondie
05-09-2007, 07:13 PM
What we usually do is try to get out fairly early but not too early (if we arrive at the parks around 9-9:30, we're doing good), hit the big attractions and utilize Fast Pass when possible. We take a mid day break, then head back out around 4:30-5:00. We stay away from EMH parks as they tend to get crowded and stay that way for the remainder of the day.

If you only venture out during the later hours, you'll see lots of this:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y138/StellaBella05/WDW%20May%202007/DSCN2710.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y138/StellaBella05/WDW%20May%202007/DSCN2702.jpg

calgarygary
05-09-2007, 07:23 PM
We are going to WDW in August for the first time this year. It is DH, me & our 6:laughing: kids (15, 13, 10, 8, 5, 4). I was thing about only going to the parks in the evening...after 4 or 5. Any feed back would be great!!!!:upsidedow

Obviously you are not a WDW novice and you fully know that most fast passes are long gone and the most popular rides will have long lines. If you and especially your children are happy with that then go for it.

robinb
05-09-2007, 07:37 PM
OP, you know WDW and you know what a bad idea your plan could be. I would go early when it's cooler and you can get things done, rest when it gets hotter and then go back in the evening.

lovmy2girls
05-09-2007, 07:54 PM
We have been in July which is very crowded too. We found that early, before the parks are even open to be in line, you get more done, than in the evening. It seems that most of the heavy crowds are not there that early, they are still sleeping or getting ready to leave their hotel, eating breakfast at 9 am.

kathie859
05-09-2007, 08:23 PM
Since you trip is over the warmest and busiest time, I'd really encourage you to go the early route. You can see and do sooooo much more in the morning that it's amazing. Late nights can be good, too; however my experience is that the kids just get too tuckered out to enjoy it much. I'm also a fan of taking a mid day break from the heat and crowds either at the pool or, for those so inclined, in a air conditioned room catching a nap. If you let the kids recharge, you'll have a much more pleasant evening regardless of what you do. Have a great trip!:goodvibes

Deb & Bill
05-09-2007, 08:50 PM
I'm with the crowd saying go early in the day when the park opens, hit the hight points, and then head back to the hotel pool and take some naps. After everyone has refreshed and recharged, do a bit more of the evening parks. EMH in the evenings always makes for crowded parks, even ifit is in August.

I hate lines and do everything to avoid them.

NHBelle
05-09-2007, 09:11 PM
I always go in August, and if we get there right at park opening we can get on more rides in those 1st 3-4 hours than we'll be able to do the whole rest of the day. The last hour is pretty good too, but mostly it's because it finally cools down. I think you should do the opposite of what you were thinking and go early. Leave the parks for the afternoon and go back if you are up to it.

michelle1
05-10-2007, 05:41 AM
Are you going at the beginning or end of August? It does make a difference with crowds as they are smaller towards the end of the month. We have been several times at that time of year and are going again this Aug. We have had days where we go to the park in the am, back to the resort in the afternoon only to have it rain for a couple of hours or thunderstorm and the pool is closed. Our plan is similar to yours because we want to spend most of our days relaxing at the resort or the water parks. We willy go to a couple of parks early to do the 'must do' attractions but this time we are going knowing this trip is going to be more relaxed than the previous commando ones and we will go on whatever attractions we can get on.

Buzz2001
05-10-2007, 05:52 AM
If all the kids were older I would do the EMH's. We did this at MK and AK and were able to ride all the rides numerous times. The MK was open 11pm - 2:00am. It was basically empty. AK was open from 8-11pm or 9-midnight, I forget.

MELSMICE
05-10-2007, 06:02 AM
We prefer evening park time, just because we like to lounge at the pool.............however, you said this is your first trip to WDW. In that case, I would definitely suggest getting the parks as early as possible. You will see more & be able to do more.

You could probably be out of the parks by 11 a.m. & back swimming at your resort while some guests are just arriving. (are you staying on-site?) You can then head back to the parks around dinner time or when it's a little cooler in the day.

robinb
05-10-2007, 07:50 AM
If all the kids were older I would do the EMH's. We did this at MK and AK and were able to ride all the rides numerous times. The MK was open 11pm - 2:00am. It was basically empty. AK was open from 8-11pm or 9-midnight, I forget.I think it really all depends on what time of the year you go. We usually go in August and December/January and both times of year the parks are still packed for the evening EMH and the lines are longer than during the day because there were no Fast Passes. I WISH I could see an empty park!