PDA

View Full Version : Anyone no of medical facility on site or close by WDW?

ashely612
05-09-2007, 11:38 AM
My dd2 has chronic allergies. They always lead to an infection if not treated ASAP. My pediatrician doesn't like to give an antibiotic unless there are definite signs of an infection. I took her in 2 days ago and was told that at this time there is no sign of infection, but if she developed a fever or some other sign of infection to bring her back in. My problem is that we leave in 1 week for WDW and if she develops this after we arrive I will have no antibiotic with us. We will be staying at POP and using ME, so we will have no car with us. Her illnesses are so predictable. It's not like we haven't done this a million times before. She is on her second set of tubes. She is on Singulair and Rhinocort for the allergies. I understand why they are hesitant to prescribe antibiotics without evidence of infection, but considering our circumstances and history it only makes sense.

Kevin355
05-09-2007, 11:43 AM
Right outside the main gate is a hospital in which Disney will taxi you to. My sons have been there 3 times. Disney taxis took us there all 3 times and at no charge...although a tip is appreciated.

LilGMom
05-09-2007, 12:13 PM
Each park has a 'First Aid Station' where you can get band-aids, Tylenol, etc. There is a hospital in Celebration which I believe is the hospital the pp is speaking of. And if you are staying on property I believe you can have a room visit from a doctor that is on-call (more than likely from Celebration). Check out All Ears, I'm sure there is something on there about it.

Wishing you pixie dust that everyone stays well for your trip. pixiedust:

TeresaMc
05-09-2007, 12:30 PM
I too have heard of doctors making room calls.....I think you have to pay cash though, they don't take insurance.

mickeystoontown
05-09-2007, 12:35 PM
Go to www.floridakiss.com. This is the Kissimmee/St. Cloud Visitor's website. Click on Area Info. (on the right hand side of screen). They have a complete list of area doctors, hospitals, clinics, etc. Kissimmee is actually closer to WDW than Orlando is and it's easier to get to Kissimmee than it is to Orlando.

Minniemouse07
Can you ask the dr to write out a prescription for you just in case and tell him/her that you won't fill it unless you need to?

Our ped does that for us all the time and I have yet to actually fill the script! And she's just trying to save us another office visit!

Deb & Bill
Centre Care has a clinic on the far end of the drive where the DTD hotels are located. It accepts BCBS and other insurance.

winterman
05-09-2007, 12:42 PM
My DH has been treated twice for pneumonia at the Centra Care clinic, just outside of Hotel Plaza Blvd. Each time I was pleased with the service (I'm an RN).

The directory of services newsletter from our visit to POP in Sept. says that Centra Care will provide transportation. The number is on the newsletter under 'First Aid'.

:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

mickeystoontown
05-09-2007, 12:46 PM
Go to www.floridakiss.com. This is the Kissimmee/St. Cloud Visitor's website. Click on Area Info. (on the right hand side of screen). They have a complete list of area doctors, hospitals, clinics, etc. Kissimmee is actually closer to WDW than Orlando is and it's easier to get to Kissimmee than it is to Orlando.

Dis1978
05-09-2007, 12:52 PM
We had to have the in room doctor service when my kids got the most awful stomach bug just before we were about to leave for our flight! The doctor charged $150 for the visit and $90 for the meds. This was about 5 years ago. Is probably quite a bit more now. I thought it was very expensive but we did get most of it back on the insurance eventually.

My kids have been ill quite a few times on Disney vacations unfortunately. The last time we were staying in the Beach club. They were very helpful there but it was very hard all being stuck in one room with kids who are being sick all the time. Just waiting for the maid to bring fresh sheets etc and not being able to clear up the mess was not nice. We then moved to a villa while they recovered and much prefered it. With kids who get ill quite a bit I feel that you just can't beat the space and freedom of a villa or appartment.

Also I agree about asking the doctor for a prescription to use just in case. I always have antibiotic prescription with me. Most doctors will do this for kids who have chronic conditions. If the doctor won't do this, I would ask why not, bearing in mind that you are about to go on vacation.

Mkrop
05-09-2007, 12:56 PM
I too have heard of doctors making room calls.....I think you have to pay cash though, they don't take insurance.

Five years ago they came and made a hotel call for my mom because she had bronchitis. At the time hey made her pay upfront (they took credit cards) and then she billed her insurance later.

This took forever but he was thorough and gave her some samples to take bc we didnt have a car for a pharmacy.

Talk to ped again and explain where you are going and ask if you can have a RX just incase.

DJT
05-09-2007, 01:35 PM
I became ill in December at the MK and went to First Aid. The nurse gave me some choices and I chose to go via shuttle to a clinic which was in Kissimmee. The nurse called the shuttle. After I saw the doctor, the shuttle took me to a pharmacy to get my prescription filled. Fortunately, both the clinic and the pharmacy took my insurance, Humana. The shuttle was operated by the clinic.

Tink's Pixieduster
05-09-2007, 02:09 PM
Oh boy, do I have first-hand experience with this. During the visit I just returned from I needed to be seen by a doctor twice - once for an injury I needed x-rays for (which fortunately were negative), and once for an upper respiratory/sinus infection.

I heartily recommend Centra Care. There is a location right around the corner from the Downtown Disney hotels. The first time I needed them I was at Downtown Disney and Guest Services called Centra Care for me (the second time the concierge desk at my resort -POFQ- called for me). A van came and picked me up, and then delivered me to the facility. I was seen within an hour, although because I needed x-rays I was there for maybe two hours all together for my first visit. The doctors, nurses and other staff were very professional and friendly - AND they accepted my insurance so all I had to pay was my co-pay. There is a pharmacy attached to the facility (Turners Pharmacy) that can fill prescriptions, but they do not accept insurance. However, most antibiotics are not very expensive and I am filing my medication expenses with my insurance company for reimbursement now that I have returned home. When my examination was finished and my prescription filled, the staff at the reception desk called for the pick-up van again and since there was one on-site they picked me up within 5 minutes and returned me to my resort (although they will drop you off wherever you request to be taken). It was so very easy and reassuring. We also arrived at WDW on ME, so finding out this service is available was a huge relief, and made the transport for medical care and prescriptions a piece of cake.

In addition, Centra Care offers room calls by doctors. Fortunately, I didn't need to experience this during my trip, but it is available.

PM me if you need more information.

auntie
05-09-2007, 02:11 PM

My younger son had a strep throat..the day before we were leaving to come home. We called the house doctors..and they were there within hours. They also called in the precription (although I think they even had Amoxicillian on them..but he needed something stronger)...and it was delivered to the room. They also let us stay in our room at the WL for a later check out since we weren't leaving until later in the day. We did have to pay..they didn't take insurance..but I tell you it was worth it with a sick child.
We've also gone to the facility in Lake Buena Vista...I had a sinus infection..and both my kids had stomach viruses during that trip! They were great..and we didn't wait long at all. I'm sure if you ask guest services at your resort they can direct you accordingly. Go and don't worry there are options that are nearby and quick so as not to disrupt too much of your vacation.

BCV23
05-09-2007, 02:20 PM
Twice, we've used the doctor service that comes to the room. Any WDW front desk will connect you with them. Good care although expensive as others note.

However, our doctor will call in a prescription to a FL pharmacy. He doesn't give me one "just in case" but if a recurring problem happens when on vacation, I just call the office. Turner Drugs delivers on property and I think someone posted that Walgreens does too. I usually have the office call Walgreens because that's whom we use at home but I've always driven to pick up any prescription. I would double check on delivery before calling your doctor in your case.

terri01p
05-09-2007, 02:25 PM
Been back from WDW about two weeks and been there done that :

Centra Care- 407-239-6463
Florida Celebration Hospital- 407-764-4000

Good Luck ! Both of these are the closes for you.