PDA

View Full Version : Poly VS the Grand.. opinions??

Caitsmama
05-07-2007, 04:09 PM
Please help....... What are your thoughts - pro's and con's reguarding the Poly (Garden view), vs the Grand (garden view). This will be for Thanksgiving this year. We have it booked for the Grand, but i don't know anything much about either hotel.
MIL wanted concierge Sugar Loaf, at the Grand.. but apparently they could only give us 6 nights , and we need 8.

So, thoughts on those hotels please! ( Again, keep in mind, that we are traveling with my dd6, and we will be spending lots of time (at least 3 days) at the MK). :)
But, i want to hear about it all.......
The pools
The food
The transportation
The rooms

Etc....... :thumbsup2

Tinkerbell10403
05-07-2007, 04:35 PM
Some may disagree with me, but I would definately reccomend the Poly over the Grand. Although the Grand is very beautiful and elegant, I found the overall theme of the Poly and the rooms in general to be nicer on the whole and the feel of the resort to be 'newer'. I think it is time for the Grand to receive some renovations in my opinion. The pool at the Poly is so cute with the volcano and the restaurants offer food that cannot be beat. The Grand however does have more elegant restaurants such as Victoria and Alberts and Citricos if you are interested in that. Overall both are in a great location: on the monorail line and so close to it all. But, in my opinion, the Poly is nicer and more appealing to myself and my family. We have stayed at both and definately plan on staying at the Poly again.

Caitsmama
05-07-2007, 04:42 PM
Thanks.. since dh isn't coming, i am not out to dine at upscale places.. I actually want to eat on a budget since we are going on a cruise about 4 weeks after we get back, lol. And it's just me and dd (along with my inlaws).
My dd is VERY pool oriented.. so i need advice in that aspect.
Also, i believe the Poly's rooms were just redone not long ago - correct? And i know the Grand is scheduled for refurb, but i am not sure when that is taking place.. Hopefully it won't be while we would be there. I know i read about it here, i just don't remember when it is scheduled.

chasgoose
05-07-2007, 04:54 PM
Well they are both great, it really depends on what sort of feel you want. If you want tropical and laid-back, but a little overwhelmingly kitschy choose the Poly, if you want elegant and luxurious, but a bit dull choose the GF. The views are pretty much equivalent. I would probably say that the landscaping at the Poly makes the garden views there a little nicer (not to mention that from a couple buildings you can get a partial MK view for the price of a garden view), but the GF garden view rooms are nothing to sneeze at. Also, if your MIL wanted concierge you might want to look into the GV concierge rooms at the Poly which are cheaper than Sugar Loaf and have the same level of view (there are no lagoon/MK views from Sugar Loaf) with the advantage of not being in the second tier concierge building (despite offering pretty much the same services there is definitely a marked difference between the Sugar Loaf and Main Building concierge levels at the GF). The GF will be in the process of renovations when you are there (but towards the end of it supposedly so you would have a relatively good chance of getting a renovated room, which we have no idea about the looks). I wouldn't worry too much about being there during the refurbishment because of the lodge setup at the GF. They renovate one building at a time and they close each one when they renovate it. The lodge under renovation might not look that pretty, but it shouldn't affect your stay too much.

In terms of the list you made here are how I would judge them.

1. Pools: The Poly's pool is slightly cooler with the volcano and all, but essentially they are the same quality, I think the Poly's is slightly smaller though and gets more crowded than the GF's.

2. Food: The GF wins this hands down. Their top three restaurants (Victoria and Albert's, Citricos, and Narcoosees) are all better than anything at the Poly. Kona Cafe has a great breakfast though. The monorail, however, makes getting from one hotel to another very easy, so I wouldn't make this the deciding factor.

3. Transportation: In terms of getting to the MK, the GF is a little better because it is one stop away from the MK on the monorail and it is the first boat stop on the way back, but the Poly wins because you are close enough to walk to the TTC and catch a direct monorail to Epcot instead of transferring.

4. Rooms: Even after the renovation at the Poly, the rooms at the GF are slightly nicer. They just have a few more nifty touches that make them more luxurious and the bathrooms are much bigger and have a better layout. The rooms at the Poly are generally bigger, but not by much (and once again the GF seems to make better use of their space) and they are a lot darker. As stated above, the GF is going to start going under renovation this summer so the rooms there will probably surpass the Poly in almost every way except square footage.

3for Me
05-07-2007, 06:35 PM
Another thing to keep in mind is that if you are going over Thanksgiving, the Gingerbread House should be up or on its way up. Your DD will LOVE that I guarantee! Nothing beats the GF at holiday time.

Also, will she be doing any of the kids activities such as the Alice Tea or Pirate Cruise...so convenient when you are right there at the same hotel.

Obviously, I vote for the GF!!:thumbsup2

WDW LifeLong Fan
05-07-2007, 06:44 PM
We visit both at least once annually and they both have their merits. If I had to choose, it would be the POLY for the atmosphere, GCH, Volcano Pool, and decor.

Don't forget. The two are just a Monorail hop away. You can visit the one you don't choose very conveniently.

Good Luck with your "No Lose" decision! :rotfl: :thumbsup2

ms_mckenna
05-07-2007, 07:51 PM
What are your dates? If you will be there when the gingerbread house goes up I definately think that would trump Poly just for the experience alone. Otherwise I would say Poly but my girl is not a girly girl either so we have no big desire to stay at GF. I agree either way you go it is a win win situation.

Caitsmama
05-08-2007, 06:29 AM
We will be going for Thanksgiving week.. So, yes, the house would be up then. However, i don't want to pick the GF just for that, when we could always go visit it as another poster said..
My dd isn't really a "girly girl" either, it is more my MIL that is the huge GF fan! LOL.. they have stayed there 8 or 9 times, but they have never stayed at the Poly. And i honestly have to admit, the GF rooms do nothing for me.. in fact, i think they are way over the top for MY taste, i am not into all that victorian stuff. The hotel itself is absolutley beautiful, but the rooms don't do it for me.
The poly rooms seem more MY personal taste, especially after the redo of them..
I am meeting my MIL for lunch today, so we can chat more..

dclfun
05-08-2007, 06:57 AM
Have they said yet when the GF renovation is slated to begin and end? If you decide to stay there, I'd add a request through DRC for a renovated room. The room decor they have now though, to me, is really attractive and bright. The Poly is a bit more laid back in it's appeal and would be a more relaxing resort to return to during the day if you're coming back to swim/rest. For holiday decorations though there isn't much at the Poly so if you want to get in the holiday spirit during your trip, I'd pick the GF just for that. I agree- at least you have a win/win situation and there is something positive to be said about each choice. Let us know what you decide!---Kathy

lovmy2girls
05-08-2007, 07:08 AM
Both are 2 of Disney's best resorts. It really is a matter of taste. I like the places to eat better at the Poly. The Kona has great breakfast and dinner. And 'Ohanas is wonderful fun for the family. The Poly just has IMHO more atmosphere and theme to it. Its like you are on a 2nd vacation from Disney Parks. The pool is great for kids with a zero entry and volcano slide. Close to the TTC too. I also think it has the best view of the Magic Kingdom.

simonkodousek
05-08-2007, 08:19 AM
Hi,

I was also thinking of GF for my upcoming trip, but chose Poly because...

~ Recent Room Refurbs
~ Cheaper
~ Close to TTC
~ Much More My Taste

Any way you choose, you'll have a great trip pixiedust:!

~Simon :)

Caitsmama
05-08-2007, 08:22 AM
Thanks!! Well, we did it!! We booked the POLy - Concierge in the Hawaii building!! I am sooooooooo excited, i was able to talk MIL into it LOL.. and i printed out some great pics to show her at lunch today. I am definately psyched b/c the Poly is much more my taste, and my dd loved the pool pics! Also, we are going on the Disney Cruise 4 weeks after we get back from Disney, and i think the Poly atmosphere will put us in the mood!! :)

ModestMouse
05-08-2007, 08:42 AM
Congrats--I think you will love the Poly. We do. :) And you're still so close to the GF if your MIL wants to go eat there. . .

Caitsmama
05-08-2007, 08:56 AM
Right- and we will be dining at 1900 one night, and go over to see the Gingerbread house, and it will be cool to take the monorail over.. We have never stayed at a monorail hotel, we have always stayed at Epcot resorts, so this is something new!!