PDA

View Full Version : Just back from POR

mommytothreeboys
05-07-2007, 08:34 AM
We just returned from POR on Saturday. (SO SAD:sad: :sad: ) We loved POR! The pool was awesome, the check-in process was quick and painless, mousekeeping was great..I could go on and on! Our mousekeeper left our stuffed animals in cute little poses to welcome us back each night and we got a towel animal. The refillable mugs are a lifesaver when you get back from the parks after a long hot day. Bus service was efficient. We didn't wait for any bus for more than 15 minutes...either to the parks in the AM or on the way back at night. Most times we waited much less than that. (The line always looked LONG and SCARY but the buses came quickly and did a great job clearing the people out!) We had a small problem with water delivery, but the front desk was very helpful and fixed the problem quickly. The grounds were absolutely beautiful and so peaceful to return to after a day at the parks. My only regret....we didn't have enough time to spend exploring the resort as much as I would have liked. I would definitely go back and this time plan time to hang out at the resort. Feel free to ask me any questions you may have! If I can't be there, I may as well relive it by talking about it!! :goodvibes See a few pics on Page 4

Navywife508
05-07-2007, 08:53 AM
Sounds wonderful. We are staying there for the first time in October and I just cant wait.

mjkaferle5
05-07-2007, 09:34 AM
We just returned from POR on Saturday. (SO SAD:sad: :sad: ) We loved POR! The pool was awesome, the check-in process was quick and painless, mousekeeping was great..I could go on and on! Our mousekeeper left our stuffed animals in cute little poses to welcome us back each night and we got a towel animal. The refillable mugs are a lifesaver when you get back from the parks after a long hot day. Bus service was efficient. We didn't wait for any bus for more than 15 minutes...either to the parks in the AM or on the way back at night. Most times we waited much less than that. (The line always looked LONG and SCARY but the buses came quickly and did a great job clearing the people out!) We had a small problem with water delivery, but the front desk was very helpful and fixed the problem quickly. The grounds were absolutely beautiful and so peaceful to return to after a day at the parks. My only regret....we didn't have enough time to spend exploring the resort as much as I would have liked. I would definitely go back and this time plan time to hang out at the resort. Feel free to ask me any questions you may have! If I can't be there, I may as well relive it by talking about it!! :goodvibes

This sounds exactly how our trip was back last June!! POR is just awesome!!

Our last trip was 8 days. Next summer we are going for 10 days, so we can explore and relax at the resort more!!

Mayl
05-07-2007, 09:38 AM
We just came back from POR two weeks ago..

First trip there and we echo most of what you say.. We really enjoyed it and spent more time at the resort then we planned due to it being so nice..

We would argue about the mugs though. There was 6 of us total and we never went to the food court just for a drink. We had fridges in the room for that.. And you know you can get free refills each visit, so we would drink one soda/water etc with meal then refill before leaving.. Was pretty easy and saved money as we were no the plan and drinks came anyway

lunalibre
05-07-2007, 09:39 AM
Hey, since you're just back and you used the refillable mugs, can you tell me what the drink options were? I've got two kids who won't drink anything carbonated. Do they have some kind of lemonade/powerade/fruit punch? I know the kids can get hot chocolate.

Thanks!:love:

klj27
05-07-2007, 09:49 AM
So glad that you enjoyed our favorite resort! I would highly recommend going back and saving time just to spend at your resort. We try to have at least three non park days while we stay there. We love to rent the surrey bikes, eat in the food court (unless my Mexican station is gone....), swim at POR and POFQ and walk around the property. So beautiful and relaxing. I am not much of a game player but my husband and kids both like the arcade too.

argue
05-07-2007, 09:54 AM
im goin in august such a relief to hear this;)

mommytothreeboys
05-07-2007, 10:02 AM
We just came back from POR two weeks ago..

First trip there and we echo most of what you say.. We really enjoyed it and spent more time at the resort then we planned due to it being so nice..

We would argue about the mugs though. There was 6 of us total and we never went to the food court just for a drink. We had fridges in the room for that.. And you know you can get free refills each visit, so we would drink one soda/water etc with meal then refill before leaving.. Was pretty easy and saved money as we were no the plan and drinks came anyway

I can see how they may not have been useful if you ate at the food court and got refills, but we never did. We ate at the parks or DTD so we used our mugs several times a day. We filled them with coffee or tea in the AM, then with soda or lemonade at night, sometimes 2 or 3 times. We only bought 2 mugs for the 5 of us, but definitely feel like we got our money's worth. We did have water bottles in the refrigerator, but we saved them to take to the parks each day. I guess you just have to use your judgment and know what your family's habits are, but for us they were great....and an awesome souvenir!:thumbsup2

mommytothreeboys
05-07-2007, 10:03 AM
Hey, since you're just back and you used the refillable mugs, can you tell me what the drink options were? I've got two kids who won't drink anything carbonated. Do they have some kind of lemonade/powerade/fruit punch? I know the kids can get hot chocolate.

Thanks!:love:

They have lemonade and iced tea. Not sure about Powerade or fruit punch, but definitely hot chocolate. Have a great trip!

crabbie1
05-07-2007, 10:53 AM
We just returned from POR on Saturday. (SO SAD:sad: :sad: ) We loved POR! The pool was awesome, the check-in process was quick and painless, mousekeeping was great..I could go on and on! Our mousekeeper left our stuffed animals in cute little poses to welcome us back each night and we got a towel animal. The refillable mugs are a lifesaver when you get back from the parks after a long hot day. Bus service was efficient. We didn't wait for any bus for more than 15 minutes...either to the parks in the AM or on the way back at night. Most times we waited much less than that. (The line always looked LONG and SCARY but the buses came quickly and did a great job clearing the people out!) We had a small problem with water delivery, but the front desk was very helpful and fixed the problem quickly. The grounds were absolutely beautiful and so peaceful to return to after a day at the parks. My only regret....we didn't have enough time to spend exploring the resort as much as I would have liked. I would definitely go back and this time plan time to hang out at the resort. Feel free to ask me any questions you may have! If I can't be there, I may as well relive it by talking about it!! :goodvibes
Hi there Glad to hear that the resort is as good as it sounds.We are staying there for 15 nights in july/august and were wondering which section to request.I have requested mansions although I do know it is only a request but the AB section looks really green and secluded.Where did you stay.Also did you hire the surrey bikes or use the DTD boat.Obvioulsy flying from the uk we wanted to spend a few days lazing about so booked POr as it looked so nice.We stayed at POP and CBR when we got married last year.
Thankyou in advance:grouphug:

mommytothreeboys
05-07-2007, 10:59 AM
Hi there Glad to hear that the resort is as good as it sounds.We are staying there for 15 nights in july/august and were wondering which section to request.I have requested mansions although I do know it is only a request but the AB section looks really green and secluded.Where did you stay.Also did you hire the surrey bikes or use the DTD boat.Obvioulsy flying from the uk we wanted to spend a few days lazing about so booked POr as it looked so nice.We stayed at POP and CBR when we got married last year.
Thankyou in advance:grouphug:

We stayed in building 16 of AB. I had requested either 15 or 16, so it worked out great! AB was beautiful...very green and lush. I didn't wander over to the mansion section so I can't really speak for that area. We did take the DTD boat which was very nice and relaxing. I wish we had time to take the bikes, but didn't. My oldest son, 12, did the catch and release fishing and enjoyed that.

klj27
05-07-2007, 11:01 AM
We have only stayed at AB because there are five of us, but I really like how secluded it is. We take the boat to DTD. The surrey bikes are just for fun around POR. There is a designated path they have you ride that goes along the river. You cross the river and turn back before you get to POFQ.

MommySiobhan
05-07-2007, 11:07 AM
Glad to hear that you had a great experience.

We really enjoyed POR last year too. :) :)

VictoriaT
05-07-2007, 11:30 AM
Thank you for the information! We are going the last week in August for our first trip to POR, and I was wondering what to expect! There are five of us, could you tell me why 15 and 16 are the buildings to request? I thought it was 14 or 18? We are a family of 37, 37, 9, 7 and 5, and I know all three of my wild ones will fight over the trundle- they love to sleep in things like that! :lmao:

mommytothreeboys
05-07-2007, 11:35 AM
Thank you for the information! We are going the last week in August for our first trip to POR, and I was wondering what to expect! There are five of us, could you tell me why 15 and 16 are the buildings to request? I thought it was 14 or 18? We are a family of 37, 37, 9, 7 and 5, and I know all three of my wild ones will fight over the trundle- they love to sleep in things like that! :lmao:

I requested 15 or 16 because I felt 14 would have too much foot traffic as it is the first building you pass as you leave the food court/main building. Everyone passes it on the way to AB. As far as 18 goes, it was a smoking optional building and we wanted non smoking. My two younger ones, 6 and 9, did fight over the trundle! My 12 year old did it one night and hated it...he's a weird sleeper though!

PrincessPaczki
05-07-2007, 11:36 AM
Hi!

I am glad that you had a wonderful time! This will be our second trip because of how beautiful the POR is. How did the new and renovated food court look? Did you have a chance to eat there? thanks!

mommytothreeboys
05-07-2007, 11:39 AM
Hi!

I am glad that you had a wonderful time! This will be our second trip because of how beautiful the POR is. How did the new and renovated food court look? Did you have a chance to eat there? thanks!

I'm probably not the best person to ask as I can't compare it to what it used to look like. I thought it was great! We only ate there one time, the day we left we got meals to go. We got the sandwiches and they were delicious!

VictoriaT
05-07-2007, 11:42 AM
Thanks! :sunny: I did not realize 18 was smoking-optional- we HAVE to have NON-smoking! We have no problems walking a little further, if it is quieter, good point. I can't wait to go- this is a family birthday surprise for the kids- they think we are not going until late 2008! :teeth:

LadyShiva
05-07-2007, 11:53 AM
Thanks for this report! I'm about to head down to POR for a conference.

Brandie

Daytona99
05-07-2007, 11:55 AM
I am so glad to read good reviews - we're going in August and we've requested AB 14. How close is that building to the nearest bus to the parks, and to the boat to DTD?

mommytothreeboys
05-07-2007, 12:04 PM
I am so glad to read good reviews - we're going in August and we've requested AB 14. How close is that building to the nearest bus to the parks, and to the boat to DTD?

Building 14 is the first AB building outside the main building. It is close the dock where the DTD boat is and is also close to the South Depot bus stop which is just out in front of the gift shop in the main building. It looked like a great building to be in...I was just concerned about noise from people walking to their buildings, but I think that may only have been a problem if you were in the side of 14 facing the food court. Have fun!

derekw
05-07-2007, 12:16 PM
We also just also got back (april 24-29) from 5 nights at POR and I echo mommytothreeboys comments. We loved pretty much everything about the resort. Check in great, wonderful layout, loved the pool (spent one full day there.) Fantastic boat ride to DTD. We were in AB 27 (a little more private) which was sorta right in the middle of our 'triangle' (west bus, main resort center, ol man island pool.) Mousekeeping for us was just ok nothing special. Transportation was great most bus waits around 10 mins. On the dining plan and food court and Boatwrights very nice. Just loved the atmosphere very relaxing after a busy day in the parks.

Barbi
05-07-2007, 12:19 PM
Do they have coffee pots in the rooms and if so, how big are the carafes?

Thanks!

pta-mom
05-07-2007, 12:27 PM
Does anybody know how much it costs to the catch & release at POR? I know my sons would love to do that!!

mommytothreeboys
05-07-2007, 12:31 PM
Do they have coffee pots in the rooms and if so, how big are the carafes?

Thanks!

Yes there are coffee pots and they are the 4 cup size.

Does anybody know how much it costs to the catch & release at POR? I know my sons would love to do that!!

I believe it was $4-5 for 1/2 hour...included pole and bait. I could be wrong..he did it when we first got there and were waiting for our room to be ready so I was a little overwhelmed and distracted at the time! I think that price is fairly accurate though. He really enjoyed it!

MBELSANTI
05-07-2007, 01:25 PM

I am so glad to hear that you had a great time! I am going for the first time to POR in August and very excited about it! Did you get a chance to take the boat to DTD? If so, how long did it take and where did you go to get on? Also, did you ever walk over to French Quarter or take boat down to there? Is it the same boat as the one that takes you to DTD? Did you get a chance to walk over to the Mansion area? Sorry so many questions, I am excited though!:goodvibes

GrumpyFamilyof5
05-07-2007, 01:30 PM
Oh, this all sounds so good. I'm wanting to go back in July for our Anniversary and I'm hoping for the POR, just waiting for confirmation from DH's work to make sure he'll be off that Monday. It'll be a short trip this time, only 3 days, but I want to go back and get my Disney fix, will be going to Seaworld one day as well!
Can't wait to see the POR it sounds so nice!!

mommytothreeboys
05-07-2007, 01:40 PM
I am so glad to hear that you had a great time! I am going for the first time to POR in August and very excited about it! Did you get a chance to take the boat to DTD? If so, how long did it take and where did you go to get on? Also, did you ever walk over to French Quarter or take boat down to there? Is it the same boat as the one that takes you to DTD? Did you get a chance to walk over to the Mansion area? Sorry so many questions, I am excited though!:goodvibes

We did take the boat to DTD. You catch it at the main dock behind the main building. It takes about 30 minutes and stops at POFQ. It is the same boat to both places (DTD and POFQ). We did not walk over to the mansion area, but they looked beautiful from the boat! No problem with questions...It helps me get over the fact that I'm home and not there!

MissMichelle
05-07-2007, 01:43 PM
I did POR last February and it is almost tied as my fave mod (with CSR). We are going back in August and can't wait. My son loved the catch and release fishing, the pools and I especially loved the boat to DTD. Very convienent. I used the boat in September when I went to just visit POR one afternoon and DH (who hadn't been to WDW in years and never stayed onsite) said "I want to stay here one day"...well I started looking into booking right away ;)

Glad you enjoyed your stay!

argue
05-07-2007, 01:44 PM
This is great to read this, i am going in late August. I was going to stay in mansions, but then was told that it did not sleep 5. So AB is my only choice, It sounds good though. I cant wait!

michelle1
05-07-2007, 02:00 PM
We stayed at POR 5 years ago and loved it then. Last year we stayed at CSR and loved it too...now I can't decide for our next trip. How is the food court? Is there a good selection other than burgers and chicken fingers? Also, I had read somewhere that the beds are uncomfortable but I thought they renovated since we've been there.

Disneyolic
05-07-2007, 02:48 PM
Thank you so much for your good report on Riverside. We will be there next month and we cannot wait!!!! We did stay here back in 1997 but it was just DH and myself back then and stayed in the mansions. Now we are a family of 5 and will be in the AB section. It really looks like a lovely area and with each and every positive report, I just get all "giddy"...:goodvibes

cornish pixie
05-07-2007, 02:53 PM
Good to hear so many great comments:thumbsup2
We will be staying at the POR In August as well and it will be our first time staying on Disney Property so we are really excited.:goodvibes
Would love to see any pics if you wouldn't mind shareing.
Take care
Cornish pixie

belle8306
05-07-2007, 03:23 PM
I love POR!!:love: Thank you for the report!:)

pkondz
05-07-2007, 04:00 PM
Glad you had a nice time at POR. Can you confirm that the busses are still shared with POFQ? Last time I was there they were. Thanks in advance. :surfweb:

drag n' fly
05-07-2007, 04:16 PM
We love POR too! So much we are going back. Glad you had a great time:goodvibes

always_learning
05-07-2007, 04:32 PM
2 questions :) Can a family of 6 stay in AB w/ the trundle and a pack n play for the infant? Also do you have any room pictures.

mommytothreeboys
05-07-2007, 06:31 PM
We stayed at POR 5 years ago and loved it then. Last year we stayed at CSR and loved it too...now I can't decide for our next trip. How is the food court? Is there a good selection other than burgers and chicken fingers? Also, I had read somewhere that the beds are uncomfortable but I thought they renovated since we've been there.

The food court had a make your own pasta station, a pizza station, and a sandwich station as well as burgers and chicken fingers and a bakery.

I thought the beds were fine, but I'm not a really picky one when it comes to beds unless they are really hard. The rooms had a different color scheme than the pictures from allears. The colors of the quilts were blue and red. Very pretty.

Glad you had a nice time at POR. Can you confirm that the busses are still shared with POFQ? Last time I was there they were. Thanks in advance. :surfweb:

The bus is shared with POFQ, however most mornings the bus picked us up at South Depot and went right to the park with no other stops...even when it was not full. I'm just speaking from my experience...I'm not sure that's always the way it is. We did stop at POFQ first every night on the way back from the parks.

2 questions :) Can a family of 6 stay in AB w/ the trundle and a pack n play for the infant? Also do you have any room pictures.

I guess you could, but you are going to be awfully cramped. The only place for the pack and play is going to be in the sink area. The other "open" spots have a table and chairs and a trunk in them. I don't have pictures of inside the room (I know, that was silly!), but the pictures on allears are accurate except the color scheme. I do have lots of other pictures of the resort, the pool, AB buildings, view from room, bridge to Ol' Man Island, etc. I'll try to figure out how to post them and share soon!

Disneyof3
05-07-2007, 06:43 PM
:thumbsup2

Glad you had a good time. We love this resort and being a family of 5 the AB is the section for us. I miss it and can't wait to head back next March. Do you know do they have the YOAMD refillable mugs yet? When we were there in March they still had the old ones.

mommytothreeboys
05-07-2007, 06:45 PM
:thumbsup2

Glad you had a good time. We love this resort and being a family of 5 the AB is the section for us. I miss it and can't wait to head back next March. Do you know do they have the YOAMD refillable mugs yet? When we were there in March they still had the old ones.

Yes they do..they are blue and white and narrower than the old ones. I love mine!

sassyredhead
05-07-2007, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the review. We stayed in the Mansions section last spring (2006) and loved our trip, too!

Harvest02
05-08-2007, 07:38 AM

So glad to hear your positive review on POR! Our family(we have two DS 10 and 7) will be staying here for the first time in October! We can't wait! It is so funny that you said you wanted to spend more time exploring and enjoying the resort! I have several days planned for us to just relax and use the pools, go to DTD, or whatever! We went to Disney last June, and were the park hopping family and didn't really rest. We just spent the entire time "Going, Going, Going". So, I decided this time since we will be at POR(instead of ASMO) we are really going to try to spend some quality time at the resort instead of going non-stop! So glad to hear the positives on the busses too! :cool1:

Evad
05-08-2007, 09:22 AM
We love POR. We have been there twice. On our last trip to WDW we went resort hopping, though after checking out all the other resorts I would still go back to POR. We find the AB section to be the best mainly for the landscaping. (see below)

The pathways are beautiful. The boat to DTD is great and the over all feel of POR is relaxing. I highly recommend it!!

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e114/haringa1/WDWTrip2005-1240.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e114/haringa1/WDWTrip2005-1186.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e114/haringa1/WDWTrip2005-1241.jpg

Disneyolic
05-08-2007, 09:48 AM
Thanks Dave for those photos. I absolutely love looking at the pathways in the AB section. I think they look relaxing and beautiful. :thumbsup2

klwdisney
05-08-2007, 09:59 AM
Thanks! :sunny: I did not realize 18 was smoking-optional- we HAVE to have NON-smoking! We have no problems walking a little further, if it is quieter, good point. I can't wait to go- this is a family birthday surprise for the kids- they think we are not going until late 2008! :teeth:

This shouldn't be a problem by the time you arrive for your trip... ALL disney hotels will be smoke-free starting in June. So you can feel free to stay in Building 18 if you'd like :hippie:

mousiemom
05-08-2007, 11:47 AM
You have me really excited about staying @ POR! This will be our 1st time and we have scheduled the horse and carriage ride thru the property for one evening. My 6yr dd and her grandfather are so excited about fishing too. They always bring their poles and fish @ Pop. I hope we get AB building. My dd is so excited about the trundle bed!! We will be there in 16 more day! Hooray!!!:banana: :banana:
Mousiemom

argue
05-08-2007, 06:04 PM
great pics. i am now even happier. doe the AB buldings have elevators? it looks sooooo nice! cant wait thank you!

mommytothreeboys
05-08-2007, 07:31 PM
great pics. i am now even happier. doe the AB buldings have elevators? it looks sooooo nice! cant wait thank you!

No elevators...staircases on the corners of the buildings. Not bad...but I didn't have little kids to carry up after a long day at the parks. Mine walked!

supersuperwendy
05-08-2007, 07:42 PM
Our last trip to WDW was in oct. 1999 and we stayed at BWV...we took a trip one day around to the different resorts...and fell in love with POR. Well....we check-in on Sunday! I can't wait ...there are 5 of us..so AB here we come!

also..stupid mug question..

Can they only be used at the resort? or anywhere? help!

mommytothreeboys
05-08-2007, 07:55 PM
:goodvibes The mugs are refillable at the resort where purchased for the length of the stay. :goodvibes

Disnewbie_N_MO
05-08-2007, 09:24 PM
Suscribing. We are going there in 25 days.

disneyfanfamily
05-09-2007, 06:59 AM
We have 49 days left. Crazy that we all know the EXACT amount of days until WDW!

Dave - thanks for the pics. We were there 2 years ago and cannot wait to go again. Those pics just got me that much more excited!

Are the refillable mugs the new mugs? I was hoping for the million dreams mugs, but the last thread I read, they were still the brownish ones. I know some people don't like the new mugs, but I am ready for a NEW one to add to the small collection we have.

We also have a carriage ride planned. Our first night there, in the late evening. We like going when it is dark. For us it makes it much more magical and exciting!

Angela

mommytothreeboys
05-09-2007, 07:42 AM
We have 49 days left. Crazy that we all know the EXACT amount of days until WDW!

Dave - thanks for the pics. We were there 2 years ago and cannot wait to go again. Those pics just got me that much more excited!

Are the refillable mugs the new mugs? I was hoping for the million dreams mugs, but the last thread I read, they were still the brownish ones. I know some people don't like the new mugs, but I am ready for a NEW one to add to the small collection we have.

We also have a carriage ride planned. Our first night there, in the late evening. We like going when it is dark. For us it makes it much more magical and exciting!

Angela

I posted pictures of the mugs I got last week as well as some other of the grounds at POR. The mugs are the new YOAMD ones with the gang in blue. I love mine! Enjoy!

http://http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m1/missyp_02/photobucketdisney.jpg (http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m1/missyp_02/photobucketdisney.jpg)
http://http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m1/missyp_02/photobucketdisney008.jpg (http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m1/missyp_02/photobucketdisney008.jpg)

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m1/missyp_02/photobucketdisney009.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m1/missyp_02/photobucketdisney006.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m1/missyp_02/photobucketdisney005.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m1/missyp_02/photobucketdisney004.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m1/missyp_02/photobucketdisney003.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m1/missyp_02/photobucketdisney002.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m1/missyp_02/photobucketdisney001.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m1/missyp_02/photobucketdisney010.jpg

That last picture is the view from outside our door. It was absolutely beautiful!

tygerlilli
05-09-2007, 07:43 AM
We stayed at POR in 2001 and loved it. DH and I were in AB, and I couldn't get over how perfect everything was. Of course, I can't remember which building we were in, but it was a short walk to everything...bus stop, pool and main building. The landscaping was so lovely and peaceful. I'm hoping that we're going to be heading back sometime this year or in 2008, and if so--POR will be our No. 1 choice of resort.

disneyfanfamily
05-09-2007, 07:54 AM
mommyto3boys - thanks for the pics! I am so glad about the new mugs! When I clicked on the picture I just smiled BIG. If some "non" Disney person was watching me, they would think I was silly getting excited about a mug. Your boys looked like they were having fun! Thanks so much for the info!

Angela

newman7501
05-09-2007, 08:00 AM

ITA! We stayed at Christmas and had a very similar experience as you did, even with bus waits. One night we came back to our room and the tv was on, we figured one of the kids forgot to turn it off but My DD's stuffed Donald was holding the remote and watching tv. The kids thought this was so cool! I would highly recommend this resort.

VictoriaT
05-09-2007, 09:30 AM
This shouldn't be a problem by the time you arrive for your trip... ALL disney hotels will be smoke-free starting in June. So you can feel free to stay in Building 18 if you'd like :hippie:

BUT, if it was smoking optional in the past- I'd still be worried. I would much rather stay in a building that has always been non-smoking. :sunny:

My co-worker just got back, and she stayed at CBR, on my advice. First time for them (a couple in their early fifties) They loved it, and were sad they had never experienced it before until now!!:cloud9:

tink~r~bell
05-09-2007, 09:54 AM
Thanks for all the great info! We are staying at POR in December--can't wait!!

NYMomof4
05-09-2007, 10:25 AM
Great report! POR was our first love and even though I have DVC now, we still make a yearly trip to POR :) I highly recommend spending some time at the resort and enjoying it. This will be our 4th year in a row for an annual August trip to POR. We always stay at AB because we have 5 and we love it. The kids also like the quiet pools at POR for evening swims.

LAst year we tried the paddle boats and had a great time. They are fairly inexpensive at about $10/hour and you can paddle up to 4 people around the Sassagoula. Piano Bob plays in the lounge a few nights a week too and that is worth seeing.

We like to sit out on the benches and have a cup of coffee in the morning and watch the birds. Just a great place to really feel like you're on vacation! I can't wait to go back :cheer2:

dumbo33
05-09-2007, 11:34 AM
One of our favorite resorts. We first started going when it was Dixie Landings and we still call it that to be honest. We fell in love with the resort, as our kids were little when we first started going. We now belong to the DVC so we don't get to go there much, but when we do it is so full of great memories. When we walk around we can still hear our kids squealing in the pool or decorating our window with the days pictures and souv's. A funny story about when we were on our first trip there. The resort itself intimidated us a bit because we thought it was so big. When the bus driver didn't hear us to let us off our stop, we were in a panic. We did manage to get off at the main bus stop, and went to a CM and told him our plight. He didn't hesitate, went and got one of the carts and took us to our building. We didn't realize that it was probably a 2 minute walk, but later in our stay we were a bit embarrassed about it. I give them credit, they just took us where we wanted to go and never flinched. Yes, Dixie will always have our hearts, though we stay at the Deluxes now we always like going back there to stay.:goodvibes

klj27
05-09-2007, 01:13 PM

Angela

We check in in 47 days! See you there! :cool1:

Disneyolic
05-09-2007, 01:31 PM
We check in in 47 days! See you there! :cool1:44 more days for us!!! Come on over to my DISers Stalking DISers thread for a bunch of people who will be there the same time! Link below (shameless plug, I know!) :rolleyes1

Pooh Bear Lisa
05-09-2007, 05:07 PM
Thanks for the good report!! We will be there in Sept and can't wait. One question regarding the DTD boat. Does it have stops at West Side, PI, & Marketplace or just one stop at Marketplace? Also, how much & at what times is the horse & carriage ride? Thanks :cool1:

arielsleepingbeauty
05-09-2007, 05:38 PM
We just got back on 5-8-07 and I have to say that POR was nothing spectacular. This was our first stay there. We usually stay at a value which i regret not doing so this time. The check in process was quick. We stayed in room 3834 in the lodges. In my opinion, I found that there is no one area that is close to the pool, parking lot and the food court. The room looked nice. I checked to make sure there were no traces of bedbugs first. The grounds and the main pool were both nice. I nejoyed seeing a mother duck and her three ducklings walking along the path every morning. We started off at the food court. It was about 12:15 and only one other person was in front of us. We ordered cheesburgers and chicken strips. The cheesburgers were sittign in a tray and we had to wait for the cheese to melt.The chicken strips and burgers sat out for god knows how long while we waited for the cheese to melt. The CM's behind the counter didn't understand that we were askign for fresh food, not stuff that has been sitting out. We spoke to the manager about the poor food service. We then visited the main pool. The lifeguards were awesome. One of them told us that that we could get a lifejacket for DD 5 at the marina. When we got there and older gentleman told us that they didn't have anymore in her size. We saw some down at the dock and we asked for one of those. HE said no and that we could go over ther POFQ for one. I asked if he could have one sent and he said no. I then asked to speak to a manager. He got the manager and she went right away and got us one from the marina. At this point I was really not impressed. Mousekeeping was just ok. She did put my DD's dolls in cute poses. But i also noticed that the toilet hadn't been cleaned and the waste basket for two days had not been emptied. When I was checking out, I asked for directions to the airport. The Cm said that they didn't have any. It is a nice quiet resort, but I just wasn't impressed. I really do hope that everyone else has a better experience than we did

mommytothreeboys
05-09-2007, 07:11 PM
Thanks for the good report!! We will be there in Sept and can't wait. One question regarding the DTD boat. Does it have stops at West Side, PI, & Marketplace or just one stop at Marketplace? Also, how much & at what times is the horse & carriage ride? Thanks :cool1:

The boat to DTD only stops at Marketplace. It would have been nice if it had stopped at West Side as we had ADR's at Wolfgang Puck's that we were running to get to! :scared: But no....only one stop at Marketplace. As far as the carriage ride goes, we didn't do it, but I know there are people on here who have. I think it was like $35 and could accommodate 5 people. Not sure about times. Have a great time!

twob4him
05-09-2007, 09:55 PM
Thanks Dave for those photos. I absolutely love looking at the pathways in the AB section. I think they look relaxing and beautiful. :thumbsup2

Hi Dawn,,,,I am getting sooo excited! :cool1:

You have me really excited about staying @ POR! This will be our 1st time and we have scheduled the horse and carriage ride thru the property for one evening. My 6yr dd and her grandfather are so excited about fishing too. They always bring their poles and fish @ Pop. I hope we get AB building. My dd is so excited about the trundle bed!! We will be there in 16 more day! Hooray!!!:banana: :banana:
Mousiemom

:cool1: We are excited too!!!! :cool1:

I posted pictures of the mugs I got last week as well as some other of the grounds at POR. The mugs are the new YOAMD ones with the gang in blue. I love mine! Enjoy!

That last picture is the view from outside our door. It was absolutely beautiful!

Loved the pics!!! Thanks! :thumbsup2

escape123
05-09-2007, 11:10 PM
first off thank you to everyone for all the great pics an info, i will be going on nov 10th-17th and im soooo excited this will be our first time there but my question to anyone is are the mansion rooms bad? or sould i stay with ab rooms? is there any big differences?pirate:

klj27
05-10-2007, 05:45 AM
first off thank you to everyone for all the great pics an info, i will be going on nov 10th-17th and im soooo excited this will be our first time there but my question to anyone is are the mansion rooms bad? or sould i stay with ab rooms? is there any big differences?pirate:

The room sizes and layout are the same. The only difference is the theming. I have never stayed in the mansions, but my friends who have stayed there enjoyed it.

LorieR
05-10-2007, 05:57 AM

DH and I have stayed at POR five times - all in the mansions (Oak, Acadian, and Magnolia) -- and the rooms were great!! We have never requested either section -- that's where they have put us -- and would have been happy, I am sure, in either area!! We will be there Nov 13-20th for our sixth stay!!!

Evad
05-10-2007, 07:04 AM
Thanks all for your kind words on the pics that I posted. As I stated before we love this resort and are more then happy to share some of our pics from this great place.

Unfortunately I am sitting here with a broken ankle and will be laid up for the next 2 months. So the only real joy that I am getting is on the Dis. Here are few more pics to help everybody get ready for thier trips.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e114/haringa1/WDWTrip2005-1254.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e114/haringa1/WDWTrip2005-1256.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e114/haringa1/WDWTrip2005-1081.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e114/haringa1/WDWTrip2005-1185.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e114/haringa1/WDWTrip2005-1192.jpg

My DD "cane fishing"

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e114/haringa1/WDWTrip2005-1180.jpg

Disneyolic
05-10-2007, 07:40 AM
Thanks all for your kind words on the pics that I posted. As I stated before we love this resort and are more then happy to share some of our pics from this great place.

Unfortunately I am sitting here with a broken ankle and will be laid up for the next 2 months. So the only real joy that I am getting is on the Dis. Here are few more pics to help everybody get ready for thier trips.Sorry about your ankle Dave but good for us if you keep posting more pictures of POR!!! You definitely have some different ones in there than what most people take. Hoping for a speedy recovery for you once you post all your pictures! :rotfl2:

mommytothreeboys
05-10-2007, 07:49 AM
Those are great pictures....I want to go back!!!

LadyTrampScamp&Angel
05-10-2007, 08:07 AM
Thanks for the review and all the pics! We'll be at POR next month, our first visit there - I can't wait!

wideeyes
05-10-2007, 08:10 AM
Glad to hear you liked it as we are staying at POR in september, lovely to read positive comments.:goodvibes

mjkaferle5
05-10-2007, 08:49 AM

Only a part of building 18 was smoking. And now with Disney starting the non-smoking at all resorts, you don't have to worry about that at all.

We requested Building 27, and got Building 18. I was worried about any having a smokey-smelling room or smokers around us, but didn't have a problem at all.

Really no smoking problems AT ALL!!:goodvibes

disneyfanfamily
05-10-2007, 08:54 AM
Most of you probably know, but I will post anyway. We did the carriage ride 2 years ago and it is $35. It if for 4 adults or 2 adults and 3 small children. I made ressies to do it again this year. FOREWARNING: I almost did not get the reservation because 2 of my kids are older than 9. (12 & 10) The reservationist told me that at least 2 of the kids should be under 10. But he said (reluctantly) that he would give me a reservation anyway. (Besides, if you saw my family, we are a pretty small bunch!)

The carriage ride is awesome! The clip clop of the horses hooves are so relaxing! Well worth the $$$ in our opinion!

Angela

mjkaferle5
05-10-2007, 08:59 AM
ITA! We stayed at Christmas and had a very similar experience as you did, even with bus waits. One night we came back to our room and the tv was on, we figured one of the kids forgot to turn it off but My DD's stuffed Donald was holding the remote and watching tv. The kids thought this was so cool! I would highly recommend this resort.

Same here!!

We came back one night and the TV was blaring!!

Then we looked and all of the kids stuffed animals (a couple from home, and a couple we bought at the parks) were on one bed watching tv. I believe Mickey was holding the remote!

derekw
05-10-2007, 12:38 PM
Re BOATS: We just got back and while the boat only takes you from POR/POFQ to Marketplace at Downtown Disney and you have to debark you can grab another taxi boat that makes stops at Westside and PI and returns to Marketplace.

BTW LOVED POR a fantastic, beautiful resort great place to wind down after the parks!

Pooh Bear Lisa
05-10-2007, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the answers!!

pta-mom
05-10-2007, 04:01 PM
Hi All! Thanks so much for posting your questions, thougts & observations on the Riverside! We are going the end of September for our first stay there & I've been a little worried as we stayed at CSR last time & LOVED it...would we love POR as much? But, it sounds like we will, so thanks!

Question though...I've been reading that a great use of your SC on the DDP is to get a box of E...something....donutes at some of the hotel stores & use them for breakfast. I thought this was a great idea & a great value for a SC!! Does anyone know if POR's store carries a box of E...something....(LOL!) donutes? Has anyone tried to use a SC to purchase them?

Disneyolic
05-10-2007, 04:07 PM
Do you mean Entemenn's Doughnuts? While I haven't done that yet, yes a lot of people have said that they have bought them. They said that they come in a package of 8 and it can be bought with a snack credit. Usually all resort gift shop food items are the same.

pta-mom
05-10-2007, 04:16 PM
Do you mean Entemenn's Doughnuts? While I haven't done that yet, yes a lot of people have said that they have bought them. They said that they come in a package of 8 and it can be bought with a snack credit. Usually all resort gift shop food items are the same.

That's them!! Yes...Entemenn's Doughnuts!! I knew it was E...something!!

Does anyone know if they sell these at the POR store?

drag n' fly
05-10-2007, 04:43 PM
That's them!! Yes...Entemenn's Doughnuts!! I knew it was E...something!!

Does anyone know if they sell these at the POR store?

Yes! We found them too rich for us but they do sell them. They sell almost everything in that store! hth

mana'olana
05-11-2007, 09:21 AM
I never thought about using a SC for that! Great idea. I'll be trying that for our trip in August.

jenr812
05-12-2007, 08:29 PM
Great idea about the snack credit for the donuts!! I never thought of that. It will be a nice switch from our usual cereal.

We loved POR in 2005 and can't wait to get back in 11 days!! The carriage ride was so fun and relaxing. We were in bldg 38 which was great for us. There were some other things I wanted to comment on but I can't remember now LOL

I did have a question for those who have just returned - did you notice poor air quality due to the brush fires? If so, did it seep into the rooms? Thanks.

Evad
05-14-2007, 07:44 AM
Sorry about your ankle Dave but good for us if you keep posting more pictures of POR!!! You definitely have some different ones in there than what most people take. Hoping for a speedy recovery for you once you post all your pictures! :rotfl2:

Thanks Disneyolic. Here some more for you!!

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e114/haringa1/WDWTrip2005-1008.jpg

Menu from Boatwrights

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e114/haringa1/IMG_0459.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e114/haringa1/WDWTrip2005-1257.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e114/haringa1/WDWTrip2005-1244.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e114/haringa1/WDWTrip2005-1074.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e114/haringa1/WDWTrip2005-1010.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e114/haringa1/WDWTrip2005-1193.jpg

The Fishing Hole

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e114/haringa1/WDWTrip2005-1183.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e114/haringa1/WDWTrip2005-1184.jpg

#1Disfann
05-14-2007, 08:22 AM
Hi All! Thanks so much for posting your questions, thougts & observations on the Riverside! We are going the end of September for our first stay there & I've been a little worried as we stayed at CSR last time & LOVED it...would we love POR as much? But, it sounds like we will, so thanks!

We stayed at CSR last year and now POR and CSR are tied as my 2 favorite resorts. Obviously, they have different themeing so it depends on what your in the mood for but we loved them both!! I'll be going back to POR in August and again in September!:cloud9:

arielsleepingbeauty
05-14-2007, 09:12 AM
We stayed in AB38. I thought the rooms had a great theme. I am wondering if anyone has pics of the Mansion rooms just to see the differene between the two.

ottawamom
05-15-2007, 07:50 AM
Great idea about the snack credit for the donuts!! I never thought of that. It will be a nice switch from our usual cereal.

We loved POR in 2005 and can't wait to get back in 11 days!! The carriage ride was so fun and relaxing. We were in bldg 38 which was great for us. There were some other things I wanted to comment on but I can't remember now LOL

I did have a question for those who have just returned - did you notice poor air quality due to the brush fires? If so, did it seep into the rooms? Thanks.

Didn't notice any smoke in the rooms but once you stepped outside it was apparent. The sky had a mid-summer type haze over it the day we left. I don;t know if they've stopped the fires yet. It should clear quickly once they do.

dzorn
05-15-2007, 04:52 PM
Same here!!

We came back one night and the TV was blaring!!

Then we looked and all of the kids stuffed animals (a couple from home, and a couple we bought at the parks) were on one bed watching tv. I believe Mickey was holding the remote!

The same with ours Disney casually watching tv. Nick characters all watching upside down or facing other way.

Denise in MI

jenr812
05-16-2007, 11:39 AM
Didn't notice any smoke in the rooms but once you stepped outside it was apparent. The sky had a mid-summer type haze over it the day we left. I don;t know if they've stopped the fires yet. It should clear quickly once they do.

Thank you!

spavelec
05-18-2007, 09:45 PM
Can you rent a bike to get from one resort to the other? How much? Parents are staying at PORFQ and us POR. Where would be the best place to stay for the both of us...so we're not TOO FAR away???

Thanks for the help
Sheila

jenr812
05-19-2007, 04:55 AM
Can you rent a bike to get from one resort to the other? How much? Parents are staying at PORFQ and us POR. Where would be the best place to stay for the both of us...so we're not TOO FAR away???

Thanks for the help
Sheila
Hopefully someone can give you more specific info, but there are definitely bike rentals available. I believe you can rent them by the hour or for a flat rate for a week. I will be there next week :woohoo: and I will try to remember to get that info for you if no one else posts it. HTH!:goodvibes

arielsleepingbeauty
05-19-2007, 11:44 AM
I know that you can rent by the hour. I didn't see any prices for weekly bike rentals. If you are planning to go back and forth to POR and POFQ then i would say that you should try to get as close to the marina as possible. There is no cost to take the boat to POFQ. It runs about every 20 minutes and then every 10 minutes during the evening hours.

Jaaron2
05-19-2007, 03:24 PM
We have been to POR the past two years (9 & 10 days) and absolutely loved it (now DVC owners). There is 5 of us and we loved the accomodations, food and the overall feel of the resort. You cannot beat this resort for the price. The service was always great and the park is large enough so you never feel crowded. I would definately go back!