PDA

View Full Version : Sci-Fi or 50s PT??

kels*angels
05-04-2007, 12:58 PM
Which restaurant do you personally prefer?? Why??
Trying to make my decision between the two.
I have 3 girls, ages...4, 5 and 11. What would they like better?

ModestMouse
05-04-2007, 01:13 PM
I like 50s Prime Time. I liked the comfort food (they have good meat loaf) along with the cocktails with that 50s flair. Our kids (DS7 and DS4) were tickled by the retro TV shows that played on the old TVs.

Also, our waitress made fun of my hat hair when I took off my baseball cap, told me to keep my elbows off the table, told me it was a good thing the kids looked like my DW and not me, and told me to eat my vegetables. It was all done in a fun and cute way and my sons LOVED it. (I did too, she was hilarious!--and gave us great service) That might not be for everyone but we can laugh at ourselves. She probably played the mom bit up more because I was laughing along with her.

We look forward to going there again.

wdwthreethiels
05-04-2007, 01:19 PM
Which restaurant do you personally prefer?? Why??
Trying to make my decision between the two.
I have 3 girls, ages...4, 5 and 11. What would they like better?

50's Prime Time is always a must for us, the atmoshpere and the food are always great
Sci-fi - we went once and never returned, the menu's are very different, the food was great too.
I would suggest looking at the menus on allears, may also help you decide.
As for atmosphere, I would guess that your girls would enjoy the "fun" at 50's Prime Time, there is a bunch of interaction with CM's. We did not expereince any interaction at Sci-fi - probably why we don't go.
Michelle in NY, 5 days til the World, be at 50's Prime Time first night :woohoo:

dkostel
05-04-2007, 01:20 PM
I'd say as an adult, I like 50's more, because I can remember some of the TV shows (from reruns) and some of the decor was still in my fam's 70s kitchen. However, I think the Sci Fi has the best themeing of any restaurant. I haven't seen a kid that wasn't impressed with the indoor drive-in theater.
Foodwise, 50 is a little better, but SciFi is good enough.
My 12 yo niece would pick sci fi.

boomhauer
05-04-2007, 01:22 PM
The food at both is sub-par. I would eat lunch at Sci Fi, and go to 50's for a milkshake.

WETWHISTLE
05-04-2007, 01:35 PM
I liked the 50's Prime Time Cafe better, but my DF liked Sci Fi Drive-In better. I guess I liked the Sci Fi food better, but I liked the 50's PT experience the best.

We did 1 for lunch, and the other for dinner. We were able to do this since we went to Universal Studios one day. So we could use 2 TS meals in 1 day.

kels*angels
05-04-2007, 01:38 PM
The food at both is sub-par. I would eat lunch at Sci Fi, and go to 50's for a milkshake.

Thanks for the helpful responses!
If i go to one of them for just a milkshake or desert...so I still need to make a ADR??

darlak
05-04-2007, 02:13 PM
We've eaten at both and thought the food was pretty good at each...not great, but pretty good. One thing you migh want to consider is that the seating at Sc-Fi is usually in a "car" (you can get a table, but the experience just isn't the same that way). You could possible put all three girls in the front seat if they're small enough, and you and DH in the back seat. However, our kids were bigger the last time we ate there and the 3 in a seat thing was way cramped! Both restaurants have great themes. If you've never eaten at either restaurant, I would say that the most "don't wanna miss it" experience is at 50's Prime Time. Either way, have fun!

kels*angels
05-04-2007, 02:54 PM
bump

xWishes
05-04-2007, 03:01 PM
For kids I think they would appreciate Sci Fi more because of the huge movie screen and the cars. People usually complain about sci fi but I loooooove the atmosphere so much I don't think about anything else! and i doubt kids will either.

I doubt kids would really appreciate the atmosphere in 50 prime time cuz it's waaaay beyond them (not that I should talk, I just turned 21 haha) but the waiters are funny and fun!

I usually go to sci fi for lunch and 50s prime time for dinner. I'll always do both!:goodvibes

Ron_G
05-04-2007, 05:06 PM
We've been to both & places & enjoyed each for seperate reasons.
Sci-Fi is simply the coolest for atmoshere & that initial "wow" factor.
50's was alot of fun interacting with the wait staff, the experience changes though if your server doesn't really get into the role.

RllngRckBrw
05-04-2007, 05:17 PM
I have neot yet been to 50s (we have an ADR for late May) but the sci fi was cool as far as atmosphere but had only avg food. I would definitely go there again, so I dont think you would be dissaponted with it if your expectations for the food is not real high.

ModestMouse
05-04-2007, 05:26 PM

I guess we had a different experience at 50s. Our food was quite good, and we're rather picky about food quality at WDW.

ModestMouse
05-04-2007, 05:57 PM
Here's a recent thread on people's funniest experiences at 50s Prime Time, in case that helps. I hope I get a Green Bean Sundae this time around.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1407187

Cookie Princess
05-04-2007, 06:22 PM
The food is much better at 50's PT, but DS is 11 and loves the atmosphere at Sci-Fi. We usually end up eating at both. You can't beat the PB&J milkshake at the PT!!

Tiffer
05-04-2007, 07:02 PM
My kids LOVE Sci Fi. See pic in siggie below.

I am not a fan. I think the food stinks. The 50's food is not bad. I prefer it anyday. It is great if you get a table that has a tv.

Piglets Mommy
05-04-2007, 07:49 PM
We've been to both and love both. i liked the food a bit better at 50's PTC, but Sci-fi was good too. Make sure that you reserve a car when you make your ADR for Sci-fi, otherwise skip it...just not the same experience. Also if your 4yr old is afraid of the dark skip it. We weren't thinking and our daughter who was 2 at the time screamed the entire time b/c it was too dark. We wound up taking turns in the hallway with her while DS ate.

pinkerbell
05-04-2007, 10:38 PM
We've been to both and love both. i liked the food a bit better at 50's PTC, but Sci-fi was good too. Make sure that you reserve a car when you make your ADR for Sci-fi, otherwise skip it...just not the same experience. Also if your 4yr old is afraid of the dark skip it. We weren't thinking and our daughter who was 2 at the time screamed the entire time b/c it was too dark. We wound up taking turns in the hallway with her while DS ate.

Is it the darkness that had our 3 and 1 year old screaming! The worst time of our trip because they were just not into it, so maybe that is why my vote would be for 50's, which we really enjoy, and I like to see my food..we also enjoy the interaction with the staff. In sci fi, the "movies" became redundant, too dark, it just didn't have a disney feel for us..

milmore104
05-05-2007, 10:42 AM
Your kids might enjoy Sci-Fi a bit more than 50's. But if you really get into the whole elbows on the table and clean plate club @ 50's they would have a ball there as well. Both are a MUST do for our trips. We have a 6yo DD and she loves them both. But always comments on sitting in the cars. Have a great trip!

MJMcBride
05-05-2007, 11:38 AM
I like the atmosphere at the Sci-Fi. The food is average.

the Prime Time is the worst place to eat in all of WDW and here's why

http://www.mouseextra.com/2007/04/14/a-review-of-50s-prime-time-cafe-at-disney-mgm-studios/#comments

FogliaFamily
05-05-2007, 05:29 PM
We have done both also. I prefer Sci Fi. My kids 4,6,8 want to go back to Prime Time. I thought the food was not very good, in fact mine was barely warm. I think they just love the make your own sundae at Prime Time. We've been at each one once and I'm not sure that we'll book at either again. Both just average. We always try something new.

momandseandodisney
05-06-2007, 09:27 AM
i like both for atmosphere,, but I would choose 50's PT over Sci fi, for food:thumbsup2

ballarinamom
05-06-2007, 10:27 AM
Just got back and did both on DDP. We had two TS credits left and made ARDS at 50's at 12:00 and Sci Fi at 6:00. Our waiter at Primetime provided great service but was not in character so we did not have the ultimate experience. DH and I liked the food and LOVED the atmosphere. We had a kitchen table. (AWESOME) But other people in our room had plain tables. DD5 liked the tv and the feel of being in a house. But didn't get the "Family" treatment. I think this would have been cooler with a waiter in character but at a different table it may have been less cool.
SCI FI was cooler to her as we sat in the front seat and middle. It was dark and the movies were fun. She had a glow in the dark tink in her drink which was cool. Food was really good too.

We had milkshakes at both. We spilt two TS credits between these two places because we also had a snack credit each and new that would be too much food for us. At Prime time, they give you the milkshake in a tall glass AND give you the metal tumbler with the extras which I drank

Esmerelda
05-06-2007, 11:00 AM
Well..having eaten at both on our last trip last summer...here is my 2 cents.

The Sci Fi: initial...wow what a cool place. You sit in cars to dine! The screen is showing some parts of old cool movies/shows. etc. However, its very hard to talk to folks in your party if they are behind you? My 11 yr old kept talking to me and I just had to try to listen over my shoulder. The food on a scale of 1-10 was about a 4. The server was ok...friendly but slow that day. I can't say as I would return once I've been there now.

The 50's PT Cafe: wow what another cool place! It looks like my house growing up in the 60's!...lol Every table has a view of an older looking TV with black and white shows playing. The silverware is placed in a tub on the table and you lay it out yourself (just like at home..lol) The waitress was a hoot...she was Cousin Chrissy I believe. She wasn't loud or anything just plain old fun. She found out my hubby was from Texas and she introduced us to another table nearby that were also Texans..lol The food here: on that same scale was probably an 8. EVERYthing was very good. We all had something different and we all loved our meals. My oldes son said his shake was great. (I did not indulge) The apple cobbler sort of dessert that my hubby and I shared was great and huge! The service was a 7 at the restaurant also. We totally enjoyed ourselves and we will be back.

For the record, our boys are 15 and almost 12 that were with us (we have an older son in Iraqi that's 21 : ( ) They really enjoyed the 50's PT Cafe. We all laughed non stop in there plus enjoyed the meal tremendously.

have a great trip whereever you eat!
Esmerelda :)

leanan
05-06-2007, 11:25 AM
I love the atmosphere at Sci Fi but the food is not any different than most of the more generic counter service places. I always tell people it is worth eating at just once. You will have a good time there. Just do not expect anything more than burgers, sandwiches and salads for the most part.

alissa -dawn
05-06-2007, 02:52 PM
Hi, I have three daughters 12, 8 and 8. They loved Sci-fi. They couldn't stop saying how cool it was. The twins sat in the front of the car, my DD 12 and I sat in the middle and my sister in the back. My dd 12 said "Mom this is sooo cool." I don't hear those words very often. They loved the light-up drinks and burgers were good. I enjoyed the milkshakes too. Our waiter was very good and the girls thought it was so funny when he gave them the bill and said here is your speeding ticket.
We also went to Prime-time and my sister and I enjoyed it but my twins did not understand the atmosphere. We kept explaining things to them. They did enjoy the sundaes. For kids I would have to say that the Sci-fi atmosphere was more to their liking. Have a great time.

DisneyGirlie
05-06-2007, 02:55 PM
We always go to Sci-Fi. I actualy love the food and the atmosphere is my favorite. The clips they show are so corny that they're hilarious and I love the ambiance. I really feel like I'm at a drive in movie in the '50s.
I didn't like the '50s prime time cafe because of the "jokes" and hijinx they participate in. Don't get me wrong, I have a sense of humor, its just not when the waitresses embarass me.
To each their own though.

seetheworld
05-06-2007, 06:33 PM
We are a family of 6 [and my mom just joined us as we returned 2 days ago as well, so a family of 7] and Sci Fi is one of our favorite restaurants in WDW. The food was fabulous, it was tons of fun and the kids had a blast! The onion rings are the greatst I have ever had [well, next to Beaches N Cream]. HTH

rie'smom
05-06-2007, 06:44 PM
My daughter prefers the Sci Fi and i prefer the Prime Time,so we're doing both. I have to say that I had the Shrimp Penne Pasta at the Sci Fi in November and it was delicious.

Princess_Belle
05-06-2007, 07:27 PM
All kids will love Sci-Fi Diner. It's atmosphere is amazing! It is themed pefectly! What kid wouldn't love sitting in a car, watching film shorts, and drinking a milkshake! If you want to please your Children go with Sci-Fi!

mickey'sbud
05-07-2007, 09:44 AM
Not doing DDP---so is one meal enough to share at either place? Or say 3 meals for 4 adult-size people???

ballarinamom
05-07-2007, 11:17 AM
Maybe, maybe not. Withe DDP, you get an app, entree and dessert AND can choose a milkshake for your drink. That's a lot of food for one person. If you aren't on DDP, would you order a 3 course meal? Probably not.

That day, we ate breakfast as our CS. Adult Breakfast Platter, Croissant Sandwich, and childs pancakes and bacon.

At Prime Time, we orderes one milkshake as the adult drink. It comes in a tall glass and the metal tumbler with the extra comes too. (One glass for DH and one for me ), the fried cheese (comes with lots of fruit and 3 large croutons) fried chicken ( 3 pieces of chicken, mashers and greens) and angel food cake with berries. DD5 is a lite eater. we ordered her the salad, meatloaf with fries. I ate the salad. DH ate the slice of meatloaf & thigh and she ate his drumstick and fries while I ate the breast while we shared the sides. (We all shared the 2 desserts).

We had a soft pretzel, churro and popcorn for snack

At Sci Fi, again we got the milkshake for DD I got Coke and DH ordered a beer (OOP). DH and I shared the spinach dip, I got the shrimp pasta on DDP while DH ordered Reuben (OOP) and we split the chocolate tart.

So on DDP, there is more than enough to share. But A la cart? That depends on you and how hungry you are.

mickey'sbud
05-07-2007, 11:29 AM
Maybe, maybe not. Withe DDP, you get an app, entree and dessert AND can choose a milkshake for your drink. That's a lot of food for one person. If you aren't on DDP, would you order a 3 course meal? Probably not.

That day, we ate breakfast as our CS. Adult Breakfast Platter, Croissant Sandwich, and childs pancakes and bacon.

At Prime Time, we orderes one milkshake as the adult drink. It comes in a tall glass and the metal tumbler with the extra comes too. (One glass for DH and one for me ), the fried cheese (comes with lots of fruit and 3 large croutons) fried chicken ( 3 pieces of chicken, mashers and greens) and angel food cake with berries. DD5 is a lite eater. we ordered her the salad, meatloaf with fries. I ate the salad. DH ate the slice of meatloaf & thigh and she ate his drumstick and fries while I ate the breast while we shared the sides. (We all shared the 2 desserts).

We had a soft pretzel, churro and popcorn for snack

At Sci Fi, again we got the milkshake for DD I got Coke and DH ordered a beer (OOP). DH and I shared the spinach dip, I got the shrimp pasta on DDP while DH ordered Reuben (OOP) and we split the chocolate tart.

So on DDP, there is more than enough to share. But A la cart? That depends on you and how hungry you are.

Thanks. You gave me a very good idea of portions. We have DDP for the first 4 days of our trip. Then we're on our own. Trying to figure the best options.

JeninTN
05-07-2007, 02:52 PM
There will be three of us and I just wondered if all 3 of us will sit together or if one of us will have to sit in a different row. It will be DH (6'1" 200 lbs), pregnant me, and our DS 5.

ballarinamom
05-07-2007, 03:04 PM
We took 2 rows. It's not so much the width of the car but the size of the "table". It is long and narrow. When you put drinks, condiments and plates, there isn't much room. DD5 loved sitting in the front and DH and I at in the middle seat