PDA

View Full Version : Hoop Dee Doo -- Yay or nay?

Momonthego4all
05-04-2007, 11:21 AM
I've heard this is a "must do" I am going with kids ages 3 & 7. I saw the menu and wasn't thrilled, but wanted to get some ideas. Everyone I talk to says it is the best.

Any opinions?

dizcrazy
05-04-2007, 11:28 AM
It was a fun show and the food was good! Not sure I would say it is a must-see, because I thought it was pricy. But maybe you are using meal credits?

My family (me, DH, grandmom age 80, aunt age 60, and baby age 2) saw it last year. I'd give it a 9 out of 10. The table next to us had two sets of twins (TWO!) ages 5 and 7, and those girls LOVED it.

bigmoonmullen
05-04-2007, 12:03 PM
Hi:

We loved the show the two times our family has gone. Our neices were 6 & 7 the first time and 7 & 8 the second time. They also enjoyed the show... If your family does NOT care for Country slapstick corny humor then it may not be for you. There are quite a few other threads on this board with a wide variety of reviews. Take the time to find/read them and see what you think. It is not cheap but it was worth it for us.

Enjoy your trip,

Mark

luna99
05-04-2007, 12:13 PM
oh, I hope it's great! I've never been before but my fiance and I and our families are going in september as a "welcome dinner" of sorts.. we'll have two little ones with us... one is 7 the other 5, both boys, I think they'll love it! :goodvibes

Eventer98
05-04-2007, 07:07 PM
We went for the first time last Aug..we loved it!!! We aren't going to go on our June trip, trying SOA dinner instead, but plan on going again in Dec. 08. The strawberry shortcake and cornbread were great!!! I think kids will love this show..definetly worth the price, even if you only go once! :thumbsup2

Amyg
05-04-2007, 07:12 PM
DH, DS-9 and I went last summer. DH said I owed him big time for dragging him to see such a hokey show! We sat in the second sets of table from the front which DH didn't like at all since he doesn't like any attention...one of the ladies came down and sang to him, hehehe!

DS really enjoyed it, I would think most kids will love it. DH thought it was hokey, some parts he did laugh. I enjoyed it and glad I went but would not go again.

DH felt that the food was okay, while DS and I really enjoyed all of it. They do give a LOT of food, we only got through half of what they gave us including the two pans of strawberry shortcake!

If you do go, the only reason they tell you to get there a half hour early is so that you can get your picture taken. We did not, instead we walked around near the lake and checked out the store. Seats are all pre-assigned.

Whether of not it's worth the cost is really an individual opinion. Seems like more people love this show than not.

Anie87
05-04-2007, 07:15 PM
I give it a YAY! :thumbsup2

When we go in July, it will be our 3rd or 4th time seeing it. We just love it. Sure, some of the humor is corny, but I still laugh at it every time. The food is heavenly and kids adore it. I say go for it!

Cass
05-04-2007, 07:26 PM
Your 7 year old will laugh and have fun, your 3 year old will probably like the singing and activity even if they don't 'get' the jokes or storyline.

The food is pretty good. We've seen it three times, twice it was great and once not so great as we were seated right at the back and the kids couldn't see. (too many servers walking back and forth between us and the stage)

Boo'sMom
05-04-2007, 07:38 PM
It's a must do every other trip for our family of 5. We love the cheesy jokes and the singing. The food is average, but it's more about the show than the food. I highly recommend it, at least once.

HomeSweetDisney
05-04-2007, 08:48 PM
My family loves it! We've been on every trip except our last one. We didn't go because of time constraints. And believe me, we all felt like a little something was missing from our trip. It's a great, family friendly show and the food is great. Delicious fried chicken and ribs :thumbsup2

missouridisneyfans
05-04-2007, 09:23 PM
The food was good, but the show was excellent. It was well worth the money and time.:goodvibes

Disney_Freak56
05-04-2007, 10:01 PM
It's a "been there, done that" for us and if I don't return anytime soon (or later), I won't be sorry. It definitely is not a must do for our family.

I thought it was overpriced for what "food" we received, we got poor service and the show was as someone's hubby stated, pretty Hokey!

I felt like our server neglected us during most of the meal -- because afterall, gratuity is included, and then they were in such a hurry for us to leave to they could set up for the next group that I felt like we just warmed up the seats for the next group.

Honestly, it is something you'll need to decide for yourself -- you know your own family best. But if it's a cost-factor, then don't stress over missing the show. It's been there for years, it'll probably be there for many years more.

Good luck with your decision whatever it may be.

Ron from Michigan
05-05-2007, 02:38 AM
Yay. It is a great show and the food is pretty good too. :)

Christine
05-05-2007, 06:08 AM
We've been 3 or 4 times because the kids keep requesting it. I enjoy the show a lot but having gone so much I could skip a few years in between, you know?

Anyway, you don't really "go for the food." The food is fine, but the focus here is on the show and the food is secondary and comparable to what any true dinner show can produce (which is something that must be edible and easy to serve and eat while a show is going on).

karliebug
05-05-2007, 06:17 AM
You have to remeber that you are not just paying for food, you are also paying for the entertainment. How much is dinner theatre in your area? We go every trip, due to the insistence of my DDs 17,12, and 8. We have gone every year since the oldest was 5 . They love it and eventhough we have seen it so many times that we could problably act the parts we still have to go!

GC&S
05-05-2007, 06:32 AM
We took dd last year when she was 3.5. She loved the show. We all had a great time. It is a hokey show, but that's the point. Food was ok, after a couple glasses of sangria, the food was much better ;). The servers are busy but we never felt neglected. I can't imagine anyone going and not laughing. Your kids will love the washboard "music" and the presentation of the dessert is very unique.

IwannaseeMickey
05-05-2007, 11:26 AM
Love, saw it w/ my 3 and 5 yr olds then a yr later went back w/ the family and inlaws. We all loved it. Food is good, kids can order pretty much anything (the server will give you choices if you ask).

Again...LOVE IT!

Poohbug
05-05-2007, 11:56 AM
I admit we have never gone with the kids, but we were disappointed. It is so highly thought of, but nothing special for us(especially for price-not even worth 2 meals of free dining). Maybe we will try it again someday for kids but right now 4 yr old hates loud noises so we can skip it this year.
Food is not the greatest, drinks are not the greatest, show is bad(younger kids may like it but not for teens or adults). I think you just have to try it to know if its for your family or not.

cocowum
05-05-2007, 12:55 PM
yay:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

We absolutely love it. I love the food and the show!!! :thumbsup2

Cee
05-05-2007, 06:14 PM
Have seen it many times and now we try to go at least every 2nd or 3rd trip.
It's a hoot....or should I say HOOP-DEE-DOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Albertan mom
05-05-2007, 08:34 PM
Has anyone on here done both the Hoop-De-Doo and the Spirit of Aloha show?

We are trying to decide between the two and having a hard time.

Any comparisons/suggestions/input would be great!
thanks

just another guy
05-05-2007, 08:54 PM
I felt like our server neglected us during most of the meal -- because afterall, gratuity is included, and then they were in such a hurry for us to leave to they could set up for the next group that I felt like we just warmed up the seats for the next group.

I know a server over there. The servers are only allowed on the floor at certain times, as to not get in the way and block overs views. So if you didn't get you coke refilled soon enough, or needed more ribs, ya just gotta wait. As to kicking you out, well when its over, its over. Its an attraction just like the Tower of Terror. When its over, you leave. They have a very short time period to bus all those tables, sweep the floor, and reset all the tables for the next show.

thanks

I've seen both, and personally thing the SoA has better food, but the show leaves a LOT to be desired. The HDD's food isn't as good, but its a lot better show that a LOT more entertaining.

FancyBrat
05-06-2007, 12:15 AM
We went in 2005 and enjoyed it but it's one of those things "been there and done that" not something we must repeat. Maybe someday but to much other things to experience and that honestly isn't high on the list or repeats. But for sure I'd go if you haven't tried it yet.

10_Kyle_10
05-06-2007, 10:14 AM
Good I'm glad to hear all this great feed back cause we have two couples going down (22-25year olds) in October and were putting it on "our to do list"...In 11 trips including many at FW ive never been belive it or not!

ps. Ive read they are replacing the floor on certain days in Sept. and Oct. will this have an effect on the looks of the stage/Floor?

Lindymom
05-06-2007, 01:44 PM
We went on our last trip (me, DH, my parents and DS who was 2.5). It was a major bust for us. DS enjoyed the singing for about 30 minutes but then he was bored. And the show was waaaaaay too cheesy for the rest of our group. We nearly left early. The food wasn't great, but it wasn't bad. The show just didn't do it for us.

Lots of people absolutely love it though, so to each his own, I guess!

Christine
05-06-2007, 02:12 PM
We went on our last trip (me, DH, my parents and DS who was 2.5). It was a major bust for us. DS enjoyed the singing for about 30 minutes but then he was bored.

I have always felt that under 4 years old is too young for this show. I know many parents say that there young ones loved it, and I'm sure that some do, but it is totally not geared for very young kids.

Stitchfans
05-06-2007, 02:18 PM
IMO it is a splurge thing to do mayone just once in a great while. The food is pretty good and the show itself is awesome, but yes it is VERY expensive. If you have never seen it I would suggest at least going one time.

groover
05-06-2007, 03:11 PM
We saw the show with our two daughters (7 and 3) last year. We caught the 9:30 show at the end of our trip. So the girls were wiped out and had not had a good nap that particular day....it didn't matter. They simply LOVED it.

DD wants to do it on our next trip to WDW in May '08. DD 3 didn't get the jokes, but she loved the songs and dancing (and the food). It's officially on our "must do"...at least for the next trip.

lisareniff
05-06-2007, 05:49 PM
....We all had a great time. It is a hokey show, but that's the point. Food was ok, after a couple glasses of sangria, the food was much better ;).

....and so were the jokes!!:drinking1 :lmao:

We really enjoyed the show ....well, DH, DD4 and myself did, however DD11 did not appreciate it to the same degree. ;)

Joan1
05-07-2007, 10:38 AM

thanks

This is a very hard question to answer because you will get a bunch of answers saying one or the other. I will give you an example

We have done both - Spirit of Aloha we only did once two years ago and the food was good for what it was, didn't like the dessert, we thought the show was just ok. I think it would have been better if there was something going on all through your dinner like the Hoop de doo but by the time everyone ate and the show started up my son, age 8, was ready to go. My daughter, age 10, was fine. When we asked them which they liked best this or the Hoop de doo they both said they liked the hoop de doo better but enjoyed the fire twirler at the SOA. We ended up on the monorail with some people that were at a table next to us and we asked them how they liked the show and they said they liked it better then Hoop de doo.

As you can see two different families going to the show on the same night had two different opinions. I think these two shows are really hard to say if you will like them or not without knowing someone personally. I have some friends / family that I would highly recommend either dinner show to and others that I would not.

Bottom line - this is something each person has to try for themselves and decide on their own whether they like it or not

The food at either place isn't something to write home about but as long as it is cooked well and not dried out then it is good. My kids like ribs and fried chicken, so the Hoop de doo food is good for them. They also liked the food at the Spirit of Aloha, they had the option of choosing from the kids meal or sharing the regular food being put on the table, they went with the regular food.

When looking at the price for these two locations you have to take into account that it isn't just dinner it is dinner with dessert, show, tax, tip, soft drinks, beer, house wine, sangria all included.

beccasmom
05-07-2007, 12:48 PM
The show is great. The food is okay, nothing to get excited over, but it's not awful or anything. And I think it is overpriced - I can't believe how much it has gone up since our first visit there in 1981, but then, what else is new?:eek: It is an enjoyable evening and most kids seem to get a kick out of it. We've been there 5 times with folks of various ages and all seemed to enjoy it.

karliebug
05-08-2007, 04:52 AM
I have been to both the luau and the HDDR. We much prefered the HDDR, especially the kids. The show is much more entertaining, IMHO

mm6mm6
05-08-2007, 07:40 AM
There are two "dinner shows" at WDW. The Hoop Dee Do and the Spirit of Aloha. In my opinion, they are both "must see" attractions IF you're going to make WDW a vacation destination a few times or more.

If WDW is a one time deal for your family, I'd say skip them both. Spend more time at the parks.

If WDW is your first of many trips there, or if you're returning year after year...how could you not see these shows? The Hoop Dee Do has been running 365 days a year since the early 1970's!!!! They have cast pictures with long hair cuts, short hair cuts and now long again! The Hoop Dee Do endures year after year after year because it is highly entertaining and pretty much sold out every night for two shows.

Same thing with the Aloha dinner at the Poly.

We did the Hoop Dee Do our first trip.

And the Poly Aloha the second trip.

We haven't done either since, only because there are still so many other restaurants left to go. We want to do everything available to us at WDW.

Go to the HDD! Relax, devour the ribs and chicken, and laugh like a crazy person!