PDA

View Full Version : Surprise Trip - Free Dining - Need Help!

Delphinus317
05-04-2007, 07:33 AM
Hello!

I am surprising my DS(11) with a trip to Disney 8/30 - 9/2, since I got such a great deal with the free dining. :banana: It will be our 2nd trip, and I can't wait to see the look on his face when he finds out (hopefully, not until we get there :rolleyes1 ) So, here's what I have planned so far:

Thurs 8/30
Arrive MCO 11:30am
Typhoon Lagoon - Grab CS lunch on arrival, stay until 6pm
Dinner - ???? (Non-Park TS)

Fri 8/31
Breakfast in Hotel
MK - Grab CS lunch before leaving
Epcot - Dinner Le Cellier
Illuminations

Sat 9/1
Breakfast in Hotel
AK - Grab CS lunch before leaving
MGM - Dinner ???? (He does not like Sci-Fi)
Fantasmic

Sun 9/2 - Go home too early :sad1:

So, does anyone have any suggestions on where we could have dinner on our 1st night that is not in a park (only have 2-day park hoppers) and on our last night at MGM? He loves a good steak, and thinks he's too big for character meals. Thank you so much!!

Kerry

Harambe
05-04-2007, 08:31 AM
Since you'll be a Typhoon Lagoon on your first night, why not eat at Downtown Disney? You're pretty close, and it will also be easier to get back to POP than from, say, a monorail resort dinner (multiple bus thing). At DTD, you could do Planet Hollywood - DS is at the perfect age for it.

At MGM, you may like Hollywood Brown Derby - no characters, and food is pretty straight-forward.

Have fun!

PS - I don't know anything about the DDP, so not sure if my suggestions are covered in the DDP.

PiperPizzaz
05-04-2007, 08:43 AM
1st night I would suggest either DTD or monorail resort. Mostly for travel convenience. (unless you have a car with you) Raglan road, Concourse steak house, Kona or maybe ESPN club on boardwalk (if that is still on DDP).

The last night you don't have much choices at MGM there is Brown Derby but, that takes 2DDP credits each. If he doesn't like Sci-fi I doubt he will like 50s PTG. Otherwise it is MaMa Melrose or H&V. Neither of which I think are great.

My big suggestion might be to really make a night of it the first night and go somewhere for 2DDP credits and eat whatever at MGM. Turkey legs anyone? ;) Especially since you have limited time in the parks and the first night you won't be IN the parks. The first night you could go to California Grill (if you can get an ADR now) or maybe one of the dinner shows.

Booknut
05-04-2007, 08:50 AM
I would also go to Downtown Disney, either Planet Hollywood or Wolfgang Puck Cafe (great steaks!). If you like seafood Cap'N Jacks does steak and lobster for 1TS on dining plan (not the best lobster in the world, but hey, its free lobster!!!)

the MGM bit is tricky. Of all the parks I think the dining options here are the poorest. I would go to the Brown Derby and pay for one of you out of pocket as the food is nice there. Or, perhaps 50's Prime Time Cafe (the fried chicken is nice).

Or, grab a turkey leg for a snack, watch Fantasmic and then have a late dinner somewhere on the Boardwalk like Spoodles or ESPN. I think you can catch a boat from MGM to the Boardwalk.

Have fun whatever you pick!

extremesoccermom
05-04-2007, 09:02 AM
Hi!
DD13 and I will also be at POP from 8/30-9/3 our plan is to have dinner at Planet Hollywood with the $15.00 off coupon included in the package. But you can use your CS meals at a number of places (Earl of Sandwich or Wolfgang Express would be my choices) since you don't want to use one of you TS.
We will do a lot of meal splitting in the day due to DD likes to graze (eat small meals all day) and my diet also allows for 5-6 smaller meals a day.
The rest of you week looks like this
Thur
CS 1 Lunch upon arrival
snack 2
Friday
Breakfast Rainforest (we will split the Viper Pizza) Mypoints GC
CS 2 Lunch at AK
TS 2 dinner at San Angel
Snack 4(Cream cheese Pretzel for DD and Dark Choco covered Strawberry ME)

Saturday
CS 3 Breakfast at POP
CS 4 Lunch
TS 4 Dinner Hollywood & Vine Fantasmic Package at 5:10 pm
CS 5 possible if DD is hungry again
Snack 6

Sunday
CS 6 Breakfast
CS 7 Lunch
TS 6 Dinner Tony's Town Square
Snack 8 (MK open Late)

Monday
CS 8 Breakfast
TS 8 Lunch LeCellier Steakhouse
GO HOME:sad2:

Delphinus317
05-04-2007, 09:23 AM
Thank you so much for all of your suggestions!! Wow!

Downtown Disney sounds great, and I think he would love the Planet Hollywood menu, but it is booked up until 10:30pm for dinner, so I made an ADR for Wolfgang Puck's that night. That will work great, we can shoot over there after the waterpark and maybe hit DisneyQuest too. He'll love that!

I think I may try 50's Prime Time for our MGM night. Or maybe we'll just grab a quick bite and schedule another TS for our Epcot day. I could only get Le Cellier for Lunch, so we have a dinner open. Oh, decisions, decisions...

Thank you again!! I wish we were going tomorrow!

Booknut
05-04-2007, 10:17 AM
I wish we were going tomorrow!

I wish I was going with you tomorrow too!!! :rotfl2:

Sounds like a good plan, you'll love Wolfgang Puck's, great food! Plus its great to have all of Downtown Disney to explore afterwards (and you'll need it to walk off the dinner!). :goodvibes