PDA

View Full Version : Hoop de doo, Luau or Backyard Barbecue?

1andrea
05-03-2007, 11:14 AM
If you were pick only one which one would it be and why?

We are a family of 3. Me 26, DH30 and DD6.

It will be our 3rd trip to WDW in June. We have not done any of these and need advice on which one to pick and a short explanation of why would be great!

Thanks
Andrea

beccasmom
05-03-2007, 11:55 AM
We've done Hoop-de-Doo and the luau and Hoop-de-Doo wins hands down. :thumbsup2 It is a lot of fun and very enjoyable. A little corny, certainly not highbrow stuff, but clean, wholesome family fun with audience participation. The food used to be better, IMHO, (and the show used to be a lot less $$$, but that's life!;) ) but there is plenty of it and it is generally just fine - chicken, ribs, salad, etc. Kids especially seem to adore this show. The luau was okay, but did not rival anything we did in Hawaii.

We have not down the Barbeque yet. I understand it is only offered in the summer season. It sounds like fun, too, but I can't comment on it specifically.

ronunc
05-03-2007, 01:48 PM
If you were pick only one which one would it be and why?

We are a family of 3. Me 26, DH30 and DD6.

It will be our 3rd trip to WDW in June. We have not done any of these and need advice on which one to pick and a short explanation of why would be great!

Thanks
Andrea

My wife and I have done the Luau twice and would not recommend it. The Hoop Dee Doo review is riot and the food is pretty good. Have not done the BBQ.

cougartrace
05-03-2007, 02:37 PM
I actually recommend the Luau. It's fun and the food just like the rest of WDW, is good but not great.

karliebug
05-03-2007, 02:44 PM
We did not like the luau. The food was yuk and the show was okay. We have done the hoop de doo every trip since our girls were infants. They are now 8,11, and 17 and still insist that we go every trip. The food is good and the show is so much fun. We have never done the BBQ, but it is outdoors and involves characters while the Hoop de doo is more of a vaudville type show but fun for all ages.

mickeystoontown
05-03-2007, 03:07 PM
Have two sets of family members who had reservations for the luau and both parties had their dinners canceled due to rain. We go during hurricane season so we've never booked the luau. In all honestly, the menu doesn't look so good to us.

We have done the Hoop Dee Doo and loved it! We are going back this June. The food was good, the jokes were corny, the entertainers over act, the music is lively and it was just a overall good time! The menu consists of bbq ribs, fried chicken, baked beans, corn on the cob, salad, rolls and strawberry shortcake.

Have friends who did the Mickey's Backyard BBQ in August last year. They said they will never do it again. It was outside and it was a buffet. To me (and to them) those two just don't mix.

So.....I cast my vote for the Hoop Dee Doo!

terri01p
05-03-2007, 03:32 PM
Ok, we just got back from WDW and did HDDR, it was certainly one time doable, I might would have enjoyed it more but we were directly behind a pole and I really couldn't see that great. The food was good all except the ribs they were far to tuff to eat.
Your seated, and there is salad and corn bread and butter ( all of this was great ), then they started the show, singing and silly stuff, the kids around us loved it. Then they bring you out a bucket of chicken and ribs, baked beans
and corn on the cob. Everything was good, nothing I would want to spend 200.00 $ for again but good. And the show goes on, and last but not least they bring you out strawberry short cake, it was good ( not great ). I guess because we didn't have small kids it kind of took away from the fun we thought it was kind of stupid :flower3: . And the food was good but reminded me of Kentucky Fried Chicken...:rolleyes1
But I do think everyone should try it one time for themselves. Also my view point is alittle jaded because we paided so much and they had my reservation messed up, we had someone in a wheelchair that couldn't see the stage at all and only seen when they came by the table, and it was down hill because of that.

kimysbug
05-03-2007, 05:09 PM
We have done all three
I loved all of them
Laua- Love the show- Food we both liked alot
MBYBQ- Food was like a down home bar-B-Q The kids there loved the charectors the band were GREAT-It was my B-Day the call up all the birthday and you dance around
Hoop-De-Doo Loved IT!
Sat up stairs once with a child - was great
Sat front & center last time _Great