PDA

View Full Version : Disney in Texas

Duchie
05-02-2007, 04:16 PM
I know this has been mentioned before, but I thought I'd post an update. This is really 3rd hand information, so take it with a grain of salt.

I had lunch today with a friend of mine who lives in Bastrop, TX (outside of Austin). One of her neighbors is a VP at a local resort who keeps her up-to-date on all of the resort/timeshare gossip. This neighbor told her that Disney has just completed the purchase of 40,000 acres in Bastrop to be used to build timeshare units. She wasn't quite sure where in Bastrop the land is located but it's supposed to be along the Colorado river.

Again, I haven't tried to validate this info yet. But the idea of it is fun! I sure hope it's true!

Another Voice
05-02-2007, 05:49 PM
Don't be too quick to laugh at this one.

I'm just sayin'...

CanadianGuy
05-02-2007, 07:02 PM
Hmm.. well 40,000 acres.. if anyone could pull that off.. it'd be Disney.

The Disney in Texas drumbeat has been louder than usual lately...

And this story says the land transaction is completed.. so that at least makes sense...

And the one person I would normally ask about this.. is remaining notoriously silent on it...

Those points added together give this story a peg-leg up on Missouri... Of course, it still *could* be bunk.. but I wonder..

Knox

MJMcBride
05-02-2007, 07:42 PM
I heard Disney bought the town of Branson and is moving it to Texas. Of course, there will be a gift shop as you exit

CanadianGuy
05-02-2007, 08:15 PM
Touché MJ... Touché .... Well played sir.

Knox

Vertical Horizon
05-02-2007, 08:49 PM
I check this site out occassionally and never have posted here. Ordinarily I would dismiss this as another Texas rumor and it may still well be. I am intrigued however that Another Voice, who seems pretty credible on these boards, is saying not to dismiss this one too quickly.

40,000 acres still sounds outlandish. That is more land than they have in Florida.

Another Voice
05-02-2007, 09:48 PM
To be clear on this one: I know nothing of this particular deal.

But...

There are a lot of whispers out now. Jay's comments to Wall Street about expanding outside of the parks were very well received - he's now (more or less) having to fulfill on his promise. The original DVC project included a "dude ranch" property - they're a really appealing to European visitors. One might see where a Wilderness Lodge clone with a large water park attached located near an existing Texas tourist destination might be appealing as a "first stab" at the concept.

Forty thousand acres does sound outlandish and that alone might be enough to sink this specific rumor. But I wouldn't be surprised if we hear about the first "Disney Destination" project by the end of summer.

mt2
05-02-2007, 09:49 PM
We've got alotta land here. I've driven through Bastrop years ago. Not much to the area but lots of open space.

After Bergstrom AFB closed, Austin turned it into an international airport. It's located on the SE side of the city.

Interesting.

laceemouse
05-03-2007, 08:35 AM
Well, just a couple of months ago they bought a ton of land up here near Dallas didn't they;) ! Looks like Disney is taking over the whole state! I do think a dude ranch ala Disney would be fun, and Texas has lots of land and hot weather year round. Still, I'll believe it when they announce something official. A friend of mine is moving to Austin and is looking for land in Bastrop right now.

Duchie
05-03-2007, 09:07 AM
My friend and I tossed the idea around of what Disney would do with that much land, and why in the heck would they pick Bastrop. The airport was a factor - the Austin Bergstrom airport is right there, so that gives easy access. And Bastrop has built up quite a bit in the last several years (Hyatt just opened a deluxe resort/spa there that is doing quite a lot of business). Still, that's a LOT of land.... the dude ranch idea could work, and if done right a waterpark could be a major boost for the city.

It will be interesting to see what comes of this rumor (if anything).

thefirebuilds
05-03-2007, 10:44 AM
50 years ago a lot of people wondered why anyone would pick a disgusting swamp land in florida. Orlando? BLECH.

oh and might I mention Las Vegas? Not disney...but um...didnt make a lot of sense at the time either.

mrp4352
05-03-2007, 11:22 AM
My friend and I tossed the idea around of what Disney would do with that much land, and why in the heck would they pick Bastrop.

If it's on the SE side of Austin, then San Antonio is also within an hour's drive. It'd make for a nice day trip from a time share...

HarambeGuy
05-03-2007, 12:35 PM
It'd make for a nice day trip from a time share...

Well, if recent history is any indication it's going to BE a timeshare - so no need to drive from San Antonio. Get ready for DVC Tejas!

OKW Lover
05-03-2007, 03:58 PM
Deja Vu

Change the name of the town to Branson and you could have the same rumor that went around only a week or so ago.

JakeJoshMom
05-07-2007, 12:14 PM
Someone affiliated with Disney is assiting with a Dino Land Park in East Montgomery County - that's North West of Houston.

11/09/2006

Dinosaur park planned for East Montgomery County

By MELECIO C. FRANCO

( Community News )

This conceptual drawing of the Dinosaur City exhibit hall shows possibilities for the facility that include reconstructed dinosaur skeletons and robotic, life-sized, animated models.

East Montgomery County has been selected as the site for the largest dinosaur park in the world.

Frank McCrady, president and CEO of the East Montgomery County Improvement District, announced on Oct. 31 that Dinosaur City, a $50 million educational park and live-animal facility, will be built in New Caney by 2010.
The facility will feature a 110,000-square-foot exhibit hall and dinosaur display, an IMAX theater, a water recreation park, hotel and convention center. Leading theme park designers, one of Germany's leading zoo directors, robotics and special effects experts are all involved in the planning for the facility. "It's going to be a nice project," said McCrady. "It can truly define our area in the future as far as travel and tourism."

The park is expected to attract more than a million visitors each year.

The facility is the concept of the dinosaur expert known as "Dino" Don Lessem, an author of 47 books on dinosaurs and advisor to Universal Studios' Jurassic Park, Walt Disney Company and Animal Kingdom dinosaur attractions.

"It will have the largest dinosaur educational facility in the world," said Lessem. "I dug up the biggest dinosaurs and they need a place to live."

Construction of the facility will be a five-year project, according to McCrady. The first phase is a $200,000 site study paid for by the improvement district to analyze the property, which is located north of Caney Creek on the west side of U.S. Highway 59 North.

"We'll partner with the state for additional financial needs," said McCrady. "It's a regional attraction not just a state attraction. A lot of people will come from out of state. It's a win for our area and a win for Texas, as well."

The park is expected to create 500 to 1,000 jobs, according to McCrady.

New Caney beat Dallas as the final location for the facility, according to Lessem.

"I liked the look of the community," he said. "The land was completely undeveloped. We want to celebrate nature. This is not a theme park. This is something that hasn't been done before. We want to keep it as pristine as we can."

Lessem wants the facility to have allied programs with the Houston Museum of Natural Science, the Houston Zoo and have mobile exhibits. Live exotic animals will also be included at the park. Other projects at the facility will include educational outreach tours and field trips.
Lessem also hopes to create a university affiliation with one of the Texas universities and create a nonprofit foundation to help generate revenue to fund dinosaur research.

"We want to steer a bit of revenue towards education," he said.

Lessem explained that the dinosaur park is one way to get children interested in science.

"You can teach them all about science when they are interested in dinosaurs," he said.

mfranco@hcnonline.com

stargrazer
05-07-2007, 12:56 PM
It's not suprising to me to hear these rumors; it actually makes a lot of sense, IMO.

Why not build on the Disney name by offering timeshare locations outside of Florida? Much closer to drive for other parts of the country and a great way to sell more timeshares.

They could make a heck of a lot more money off DVC's scattered all over the country offering 'unique' experiences than they are opening another theme park in Orlando. I think they are considering an appeal to customers other than the 'typical' WDW visitor. You still get the 'Disney' base customer plus those that are drawn to other pursuits. Best of both worlds.

People are wanting more and more unique and personalized vacations. Experiences/adventures are the future of travel.

Again, IMO.
:confused3

Steamboat Marti
05-08-2007, 09:23 AM
I'm sure you all know that DVC will be putting an office in a Chicago mall with the intention of selling timeshares - maybe this one will be one of the offerings? My friend had an interview with the DVC people about working at the mall - complete with a rendition of a studio layout. This sounds like something interesting to watch.

Planogirl
05-21-2007, 11:51 PM
Disney helped redo the Spacecenter near Houston many years ago. Them doing such projects is not new.

There are however many tourist ranches and other such destinations popping up around San Antonio. I can see Disney perhaps getting interesting in such places. I would suggest that they stay away from Schlitterbahn though. It would be tough to deal with that behemoth.

rantnnravin
05-22-2007, 07:59 AM
I'm sure you all know that DVC will be putting an office in a Chicago mall with the intention of selling timeshares - maybe this one will be one of the offerings? My friend had an interview with the DVC people about working at the mall - complete with a rendition of a studio layout. This sounds like something interesting to watch.

it's actually gonna have a 2-bedroom and other "interactive experiences"

DisneyFamilyTX
06-07-2007, 10:13 PM
A co-worker this week spoke with an operator at Disney regarding her upcoming trip in August. When she confirmed her information/address as being Houston, the operator said that she should stay tuned that some upcoming news would be of great interest to her. I know this is all circumstantial, but with all the rumors about a new park in Texas I thought it was worth a note.

Geubux
06-15-2007, 11:26 AM
[QUOTE=stargrazer;18545551]

Why not build on the Disney name by offering timeshare locations outside of Florida? Much closer to drive for other parts of the country and a great way to sell more timeshares.

They could make a heck of a lot more money off DVC's scattered all over the country offering 'unique' experiences than they are opening another theme park in Orlando.

Why not build DVC everywhere? I give you two reasons: Hilton Head and Vero Beach.:banana:

Rence
06-15-2007, 12:22 PM
Why not build DVC everywhere? I give you two reasons: Hilton Head and Vero Beach.:banana:

HH & VB were not a big sucess. However things change over time. At the time they were built, DVC was new with limited rooms at WDW. Folks buy DVC because they love WDW. Now there is a large supply of rooms at WDW. Also many families that bought DVC in the early days now have older children and are looking for some new vacation opportunities. If done correctly off-site DVCs could work.

I think that they need to be more of a mini-destination - include a waterpark (indoor/outdoor or both)/dude ranch or other recreational activities and be in a prime location. I think that Texas would be a logical place for an off-site DVC.

I think in the near future we're going to see DVC at Disneyland and then we may see other DVCs with possibilities including Hawaii and Texas

silentobserver
03-19-2010, 04:29 AM
Just something I heard around town recently, a citizen of Bastrop. It was purchased by a large corporation according to work around town and this can be verified by looking at public records for deed changes, word is deed's already been changed. Supposed to be some type of housing or subdivision and water or theme park. Just FYI maybe there is more truth to this rumor then people want to believe.

Michael623
03-19-2010, 06:59 AM
...3 years later.

Cobra B.
03-19-2010, 08:14 AM
We need someone to validate this... is there a boat skipper or bus driver on the board?

stego
03-19-2010, 09:31 AM
I'll try to give my basic take on this. It's true that the area is east of the Austin airport. A few years ago they built a fairly large toll road out to the airport and it is just east of the airport; about a mile or so. Hwy 71 continues on into Bastrop, which is a small city. Then it continues on with the hyatt property described earlier. Near that is a park run by LCRA. Hwy 71 continues on to intersect with I10, which goes into Houston.

In these parts, water is a big thing. Disney is big, but water is bigger. With the recent drought and the upheaval with selling water to San Antonio, I don't see the LCRA giving up ANYTHING. Specifically anything to do with water; especially so on such a large scale.

Yes, there are politics involved, and that might be a factor playing out. I don't see anything more than a resort being developed by Disney. 290 is more of a traveled route into Houston, anyway, in regards to traffic.

disneychic
03-19-2010, 12:53 PM
3 years later.......
My thoughts exactly!

vvv
03-20-2010, 02:12 AM
...3 years later.

LOL!!!

I read this entire thread from the beginning and was finding it interesting. Didn't realize until I saw that post that everything I was reading was from three years ago.

CanadianGuy
03-20-2010, 07:58 AM
LOL!!!

I read this entire thread from the beginning and was finding it interesting. Didn't realize until I saw that post that everything I was reading was from three years ago.

Clearly CM's on the phone have been attending the same orientation classes as bus drivers and boat skippers... ;)

Horace Horsecollar
03-20-2010, 09:11 AM
Steiner Ranch was recently sold-40,000 acres??hmmm

Steiner Ranch is 4,000 acres, not 40,000 acres. It's a master-planned community east of Austin, where a lot of residential development has been underway for years.

http://www.steinerranch.com/

Just something I heard around town recently, a citizen of Bastrop. It was purchased by a large corporation according to work around town and this can be verified by looking at public records for deed changes, word is deed's already been changed. Supposed to be some type of housing or subdivision and water or theme park. Just FYI maybe there is more truth to this rumor then people want to believe.

Please post the link to the "public records" where it can be verified that Disney now holds the deed to Steiner Ranch. And please explain how all newspaper reporters in Texas failed to notice the transaction.

Mouse13
03-20-2010, 07:38 PM
Interesting thread.....

wdw457
03-20-2010, 11:38 PM
There may be more to this than it seems. I don't think silentobserver was referring to the Steiner Ranch gated community in Austin. They were talking about Steiner Ranches in Bastrop, a large cattle operation. Interestingly enough, the address of that ranch in Google Maps is prime land for a development, with the exception of Camp Swift being right across the highway. Also, there have been many hotels and banks opening recently in Bastrop, with three coming later this spring and summer. I live about an hour south of this area, and have driven Highway 95 many times, and there is not much on it. It is an easy drive from Austin, close to the airport and toll road, and has a good year-round climate. The only theme parks within driving distance of the Austin area are Fiesta Texas an hour south in San Antonio, and Six Flags Over Texas two hours north in Arlington. This is also a location that wouldn't hurt the business of the other two Disney resorts, as it is approximately 1,200 miles from each one. I think it would be great if this turns out to be true.

jg121285
03-20-2010, 11:55 PM
It would be great to drive about 20 miles down highway to a Disney resort! Although the last thing Austin needs is more traffic :crowded:

KYMickey
03-21-2010, 10:11 PM
I think it would be great if this turns out to be true.
Couldn't think of any other way to say it's certainly a big if.

CanadianGuy
03-22-2010, 10:35 AM
I'm not saying this couldn't be true.. but a couple of amazing coincidences would have had to occur for this to actually have any basis in reality.

Disney buys land and not one journalist in North America notices?

Disney is a publicly traded company. As such, any efforts like this, which could be considered to 'have a material impact on share value or price' must be disclosed at least in general terms their quarterly filings with the SEC. They wouldn't have to say it was in Texas even. But given the current accounting standards, they'd have to disclose they were looking at creating something outside their normal operating areas. (as we saw with the info on the planned DisneyQuest locations. That hasn't happened here.

Disney wouldn't make a push like this without buy-in from the local government. That would be required. That generally can not happen behind closed doors away from the public. Again, laws require that to be an open process. And even if it did happen behind closed doors - there would have been a leak by now.

Please remember.. Disney buys land for unsexy uses like warehouses and radio station and TV station transmitters all the time.

Again, not very likely this is happening as described. Not impossible, but there would be some big time problems to answer for if it fact it was moving along in secret.

Disney bought land in secret for the Florida parks - that's true - but the same disclosure requirements that are in place now.. weren't in place then.

While it *could* be done.. it'd be much much tougher to keep something like this seriously quiet in this day and age.

Saxsoon
03-23-2010, 02:36 PM
They have the big 3, (Austin, Houston, Dallas) as well as San Antonio all within a few hours drive. I know Bastrop fairly well as I go down to visit friends on my weekends for A&M. Would be very cool if true and could help Bastrop a lot.

k5jmh
03-24-2010, 06:41 AM
popcorn::

Faldred
03-24-2010, 11:14 AM
While it *could* be done.. it'd be much much tougher to keep something like this seriously quiet in this day and age.

I'm not trying to say that they are doing this, but just engaging in speculation for the entertainment value.

Let's say, for the sake of argument, that Disney is considering building a theme park/complex in Texas. The first step would be ensuring that they could secure the land. Well, there's a noncommittal way of doing that, just as you mention -- buy up land to use as warehouses, etc. A legitimate business purpose, and recorded as such in financial documents.

If and when enough land has been purchased to make the project possible, and capital concerns are in place to actually do the project, then the rest of the package (zoning, etc.) can be done. At that time, the re-purposing of the property becomes a material issue and needs disclosed. Any off-the-record talks before then with local politicians to gauge possible support or opposition isn't necessarily material, because it is simply Disney looking at options, without making any financial commitment. Leaks of such talks can be pooh-poohed as idle rumor-mongering... after all, it's just land purchased for warehouses (or whatever).

Of course, I don't believe a word of it. It's a huge capital investment to make, and I don't think the current economic climate justifies it. While such a location would be geographically distant from DL and WDW, one can see from current specials that Disney is pushing hard to boost attendance at WDW -- competing with themselves doesn't seem to be a particularly wise idea.

One thing a Texas location could have in its favor, however (akin to the debunked rumors of a Williamsburg, VA location), would be a theme park location with easy access to a potential port of call or embarkation/debarkation point for DCL.

esparrow
03-25-2010, 12:13 PM
I want Disney in the UK! x

KYMickey
03-25-2010, 08:40 PM
One thing a Texas location could have in its favor, however (akin to the debunked rumors of a Williamsburg, VA location), would be a theme park location with easy access to a potential port of call or embarkation/debarkation point for DCL.
By looking at a map I'm guessing the location been discussed is over 3 hours drive from any potential port and the cruise ships could use. That's certainly a lot farther than Port Canaveral is from WDW.

CanadianGuy
03-26-2010, 05:19 AM
I'm still waiting for any confirmation that Disney has bought anything..

In Texas.. or any other state in the contiguous US.

I haven't seen a peep about it. Anywhere.

ExpatDisneyLover
03-29-2010, 06:16 AM
Ohhhh I hope it is true!!! :goodvibes I'll have to try hard not to get my hopes up!:rolleyes:

Horace Horsecollar
03-29-2010, 11:09 AM
Ohhhh I hope it is true!!! :goodvibes I'll have to try hard not to get my hopes up!:rolleyes:
Yes... I think it's true... that Disney didn't buy any land in Texas for a new theme park.

Trinity524
03-31-2010, 12:39 PM
popcorn:: It would be awesome for the economy around here..

Ryansdad0727
04-02-2010, 12:44 PM
With the purchase of Marvel it would be possible for Disney to build a theme park centered around the Marvel characters with some disney areas within the park. Disney really needs to work hard to cater to the teenage boys. There is not much out there for that age group. This kind of theme park in Texas would be perfect.

pktbMouse
04-06-2010, 10:36 AM
Tell me it aint so...my house is already a hotel for all my family in the UK...can you image what my house would be like if they built a disney park an hour from me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TxBlueEyes
08-11-2011, 10:59 PM
Well, Disney Cruise Line IS coming to Texas. Kind of makes sense that a park would be created nearby. Bastrop is about 3hours away from Galveston where DCL will be departing from, but Bastrop is located in " the safe zone" from hurricanes. Anything in the Houston/New Caney area, is in the "hit zone". If I was Disney and looking to build in Texas, Bastrop would be my choice. It is centrally located between all the large cities in Texas - Houston, Dallas and San Antonio, and it's in the backyard of the Capitol - Austin. Perfect location!

mommy2allgirls
08-11-2011, 11:17 PM
Well, Disney Cruise Line IS coming to Texas. Kind of makes sense that a park would be created nearby. Bastrop is about 3hours away from Galveston where DCL will be departing from, but Bastrop is located in " the safe zone" from hurricanes. Anything in the Houston/New Caney area, is in the "hit zone". If I was Disney and looking to build in Texas, Bastrop would be my choice. It is centrally located between all the large cities in Texas - Houston, Dallas and San Antonio, and it's in the backyard of the Capitol - Austin. Perfect location!

I would love for this to happen but I honestly don't think Disney will ever build in Texas

Horace Horsecollar
08-11-2011, 11:33 PM
Well, Disney Cruise Line IS coming to Texas. Kind of makes sense that a park would be created nearby. Bastrop is about 3hours away from Galveston where DCL will be departing from, but Bastrop is located in " the safe zone" from hurricanes.
Yes, DCL will do a limited number of cruises from Galveston. Disney has also scheduled or sailed cruises from other ports, such as Seattle, Vancouver, New York, and Barcelona.

The "news" about Bastrop, Texas is from early 2010. If Disney really bought a huge tract of land with the intention of spending billions of dollars on a major theme park and resort development, it would be disclosed by now. Disney is a publicly held corporation, and there are laws about disclosure.

Yesterland had an article about whether Disney is putting a theme park in Texas: http://www.yesterland.com/texasdisney.html

lockedoutlogic
08-12-2011, 06:55 PM
In a word....

"no"

next "hot topic", please?

nytimez
08-12-2011, 07:00 PM
In a word....

"no"

next "hot topic", please?

You're missing the big picture here. In a few years, China will buy Texas. Then, Disney will build a theme park in Dhou Llas.

It will be unaffordable for most Americans. But those who work for the Chinese will be paid in Disney Yuan.

lockedoutlogic
08-12-2011, 07:21 PM
You're missing the big picture here. In a few years, China will buy Texas. Then, Disney will build a theme park in Dhou Llas.

It will be unaffordable for most Americans. But those who work for the Chinese will be paid in Disney Yuan.

Just what are you trying to say?

It's like you're saying there's somekind of a global economic conspiracy or something...

i mean come on - it's not as though they used a "gain" of 117,000 jobs last week (greater than 400,000 is considered growth....at least 90-150K have to be added to keep up with population increase) as an excuse to get back the stock losses of the day before (last thursday and friday)...

and it's not like they used a "stellar" unemployment statistic of "only" 390,000 filers yesterday to recoup the horrific (and deserving) losses of wednesday. (realizing that the unemployment figure only counts those collecting...as there are about 5 million that have run out over the last 3 years and have been on a decent into poverty)

I resent your implication that the entire financial system is crap...or that the chinese now hold our economic stones in the palm of their hands...(trillions in treasury bills in beijing - with the ability to crash the dollar if they were flooded onto the market at anytime aside).

How dare you...this is AMERICA! we make the rules and have all the money!!!

we just don't make anything of value...minor details. The Gip said so!

(ok...fine...let's hear it...)

lockedoutlogic
08-12-2011, 07:23 PM

I gotta ask...

what on earth makes you think there is any "sense" in disney building a new amusement park in Texas...or anywhere else in the US?

That 3 hour plane ride in either direction just too much for you, huh?

TxBlueEyes
08-13-2011, 08:55 AM
Well, I know many people believe that all Texans have oil wells in our backyards, but it just isn't true. Disney has become very expensive for a family of 4, and adding an additional $1200 or so for "a 3 hour plane ride" makes trips to create family memories, quite impossible. Just saying it would be nice to have something closer to home.

lockedoutlogic
08-13-2011, 06:37 PM
Well, I know many people believe that all Texans have oil wells in our backyards, but it just isn't true. Disney has become very expensive for a family of 4, and adding an additional $1200 or so for "a 3 hour plane ride" makes trips to create family memories, quite impossible. Just saying it would be nice to have something closer to home.

You're right...I'm just spoiled because - being from the Northeast - we get unlimited free flights to Orlando included in our state income tax.

Disneyman_10
08-13-2011, 06:54 PM
I live in Dallas and have family in bastrop.

Having a Disney something in Texas could be great. It could have a ranch-y feel to it, and there's a lot disney tie ins that could be ther, i.e. Woody. Thoughts?

Oglet
08-13-2011, 07:03 PM
The problem is that there is a park on each side of the country. Why would Disney put something in the middle and compete with either of their two cash cows?

In my family there are 4 people, we flew out to Disneyland in Jan, 1 Week car rental, 1 Week offsite in a hotel and round trip airfares for $1500.

With the exception of the future Shanghai and Tokyo Disney, parks are traditionally quite a distance apart and it works well. I just don't see another park appearing anywhere in the US ever outside of their current areas.

Horace Horsecollar
08-13-2011, 07:11 PM
I live in Dallas and have family in bastrop.

Having a Disney something in Texas could be great. It could have a ranch-y feel to it, and there's a lot disney tie ins that could be ther, i.e. Woody. Thoughts?
If the "Disney something" is a regional hotel and/or DVC timeshare, then, yes, it might happen some day. If Aulani is a big success and National Harbor moves forward and is a big success, then more such projects could happen.

If the "Disney something" is a new destination resort with theme parks, resort hotels, golf courses, shopping, and other features to make sure that it won't disappoint guests accustomed to Walt Disney World and the Disneyland Resort -- and a price tag of somewhere around $5 billion (in current U.S. Dollars) to build -- then people will still be posting rumors about it 50 years from now.

None of the Texas Disney rumors of recents decades have turned out to have any validity, even the ones that identified specific tracts of land that Disney had supposedly purchased.

k5jmh
08-16-2011, 12:32 PM
If you want your taste of Disney in Texas, you can go to the WDI designed Space Center Houston. The employees even point with two fingers.

http://disneyfunfactoftheday.blogspot.com/2011/04/space-center-houston-by-imagineers.html

And you can also ride the Peoplemover (Inter Terminal train) at the George Bush Intercontinental Airport!

http://web.archive.org/web/20070324210732/http://www.fly2houston.com/0/178336/0/1906D1934/

Michael623
08-17-2011, 07:15 AM
There is no more truth to this rumor now as there was in 2007 when this thread started.

lowes2840
03-14-2012, 11:17 AM
Well, I live in Bastrop & just heard that Disney is coming here. Heard that is why all the new construction of businesses is going up. Wondered why for such a small town we had so many banks.. Anyways, they purchased the land at the Stiener Ranch & have already started the construction. I actually hate this idea, it's a nice small town & now it's going to become a huge tourist spot. :-(

Michael623
03-14-2012, 11:19 AM
Wow, just wow.

ASteelersMidget
03-14-2012, 11:42 AM
Well, I live in Bastrop & just heard that Disney is coming here. Heard that is why all the new construction of businesses is going up. Wondered why for such a small town we had so many banks.. Anyways, they purchased the land at the Stiener Ranch & have already started the construction. I actually hate this idea, it's a nice small town & now it's going to become a huge tourist spot. :-(

:lmao:

Disney Is NOT building another park in the United States right now. It doesn't make sense for them monetarily. They will continue to build outside the US. So You get to keep you're quiet town ;)

Michael623
03-14-2012, 11:44 AM
...and even if they were (which they most certainly are not) do you really think you'd be breaking the story here?

DanBoris
03-14-2012, 11:50 AM
A quick Google search shows that this rumor has been floating around since at least 2007.

http://micechat.com/forums/disney-business/61755-could-disney-planning-build-theme-park-branson-news-article.html#post1658658

nuts
03-14-2012, 12:11 PM

Folks, this is his first post. Hmmmmm

umichigan10
03-14-2012, 01:47 PM
They'll build a new park when they get to thawing Walt out ;)

OldsDr
03-15-2012, 09:13 AM
They were in almost every mall, untill they ruined the stores and sold them to Childrens Place who also lost money at them, So Disney has them back and closed most of them

lockedoutlogic
03-15-2012, 09:16 AM
They were in almost every mall, untill they ruined the stores and sold them to Childrens Place who also lost money at them, So Disney has them back and closed most of them

it doesn't take a team of ivy league geniuses to figure out the real reason...

The product went from "unique" in the early 90's to complete crap 10 years later...

today they sell 4 things: rubber figures, poorly constructed plushies, t shirts, and real gaudy princess dresses

OldsDr
03-15-2012, 11:06 AM
it doesn't take a team of ivy league geniuses to figure out the real reason...

The product went from "unique" in the early 90's to complete crap 10 years later...

today they sell 4 things: rubber figures, poorly constructed plushies, t shirts, and real gaudy princess dresses

I remember the day i walked in and asked where the watches were and they said they were getting rid of that type of stuff. I don't remeber the exact conversation, but i said I probably would not be comming back and I was informed I was not the only one who felt that way.

My post was really made out of boredom from being home sick and trying to make a point that Disney can buy land or rent property anywhere, it does not mean they are going to build a thempark. If someone told me that Disney Bought land anywhere in the US I would take it as a possibility, but the second they start saying that is for the purposes of a themepark that is where any credibility goes out the window.

Now I apologize for perpetuating this thread that was restarted with someones first ever post.

k5jmh
03-17-2012, 11:34 PM

That is a 5+ year old rumor. Lost Pines is the only resort that will be in Bastrop for the near future, but hey, you are getting a Buccees!

http://www.bucees.com/fanphotos/DisneyPhotoImage41.jpg

CandyMandy
03-19-2012, 09:50 AM
Yes, Disney in TX is a pipe dream, but let's remember just how far these "Disney is buying land/coming to" things can go before being aborted:

http://www.cr.nps.gov/history/online_books/mana/adhi17.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/28/Disney_america.jpg

http://www.jimhillmedia.com/mb/images/upload/disneys-america-overview-we.jpg

http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz352/loaloauk/Universal%20Singapore/Disney%20and%20more/america3.jpg

http://bp0.blogger.com/_OO7WbmARD08/R-w8Hc7NaDI/AAAAAAAAGW0/_0APgH3judM/s400/farm+1.jpg

http://bp2.blogger.com/_OO7WbmARD08/R-mQis7NZvI/AAAAAAAAGUU/m5uM473yNJg/s400/streets.jpg

http://bp3.blogger.com/_OO7WbmARD08/R-wAUM7NZ6I/AAAAAAAAGVs/f34CVAmHBpc/s400/industrialrevolution.jpg

http://bp2.blogger.com/_OO7WbmARD08/R-mQMs7NZtI/AAAAAAAAGUE/7arWKfRU73Q/s1600/civil+war+fort.jpg

http://bp2.blogger.com/_OO7WbmARD08/R-mRMs7NZyI/AAAAAAAAGUs/1AtFGYfsOKo/s400/disney+america+victory+field.jp

Faldred
03-19-2012, 10:23 AM
Yes, Disney in TX is a pipe dream, but let's remember just how far these "Disney is buying land/coming to" things can go before being aborted:

Gah! Don't remind me! I would almost certainly be an AP holder for Disney's America had it been built, as it's basically only an hour from home (less if you miss rush hour).

Horace Horsecollar
03-19-2012, 10:37 AM
Any rumor that suggests that Disney already "secretly" has another major U.S. destination under construction has no credibility. It just is not possible to do something like that without an environmental impact study, a traffic study, public hearings, governmental approval, zoning changes, and disclosure to the SEC and shareholders. On top of that, Disney is likely to seek access improvements at government expense.

Perhaps, some day, it will make business sense for Disney to develop another U.S. destination. If so, it will well known long before any shovel hits the ground.

Friendly Frog
04-06-2012, 09:53 PM

Got some land there you're trying to sell? :rotfl2::worship::rotfl:

wide receiver
05-12-2012, 09:48 PM
Disney America very cool! Wish Disney would have built the park in VA like they planned!

When I was a young girl growing up in Michigan I remember a rumor that Disney was going to build in West Bloomfield (about 1970-1978ish?) I remember adults talking about it maybe was even on the news. Does this ring a bell with anyone else?

Sosai X
05-13-2012, 02:55 AM
Disney America very cool! Wish Disney would have built the park in VA like they planned!

http://www.nametagmuseum.com/dizamerikkka.jpg

:beach:

marius97
05-14-2012, 10:29 AM

When I was a young girl growing up in Michigan I remember a rumor that Disney was going to build in West Bloomfield (about 1970-1978ish?) I remember adults talking about it maybe was even on the news. Does this ring a bell with anyone else?

I may be pulling stuff out my rear end, but if I remember correctly from reading my Walt Disney biographies, Michigan was on the list of places under consideration for Disney World. I think that it was quickly crossed off the list when they decided that they wanted it to be in a warm weather area.

Michael623
05-14-2012, 10:41 AM
Again with this thread from 2007? Can we just let this one die already?