PDA

View Full Version : Tusker House closed for refurb this fall!!

MomofKatie
05-02-2007, 11:36 AM
Just read on TGM site:

Tusker House will be closed August 20- November 16, 2007, reopening November 17th.

No word on what the refurb is for- there has been a rumor out there before that it will become a TS character meal location. Hope not- we really like it as a CS!!

HopperFan
05-02-2007, 11:38 AM
That is a hit to a park with limited food offerings......do you think the timing is such that Yak & Yeti may open by time it closes ? That sounds good for my trip ;)

MomofKatie
05-02-2007, 11:40 AM
The last time I checked, the opening date for Y&Y was just 'Summer 07'- but I've heard July is the target month.

Leota
05-02-2007, 12:01 PM
I really hope it doesn't become another character meal. They can just expand Restraunosaurus, can't they?

They already took away my other favorite AK CS - The dumplings & noodle salad at Chakranadi :sad2:

suzimar57
05-02-2007, 12:03 PM
boo!

(there goes our CS of rotisserie chicken, mashed & green beans....)

VLee
05-02-2007, 12:05 PM
Oh, this is bad news....we were looking forward to one of the CS meals here in October since there is no TS available, except for breakfast.

jbmom
05-02-2007, 12:05 PM
Now where are we going to eat in late August. Ugh, that is one of our favorites. I have never even tried any other cs in AK.

bookgirl2632
05-02-2007, 01:41 PM
Well, I hope it doesn't become a character meal. I like it the way it is.

But if you need a CS for AK, there's always Flame Tree. I like that almost as much.

Praying Colonel
05-02-2007, 02:26 PM
Now where are we going to eat in late August. Ugh, that is one of our favorites. I have never even tried any other cs in AK.

Ditto, ditto and ditto. I guess we'll see how Flame Tree handles the increased business....

budbeerlady
05-02-2007, 02:34 PM
Darn, it is our favorite cs. We eat there 2x a trip! I hope they dont change it!

monami7
05-02-2007, 02:45 PM
We actually LOVE flame tree. However that is a lot of people eating at 1 CS place. i guess there is always Pizza

canda
05-02-2007, 02:50 PM
Flame Tree can not handle the crowds it gets now. Even during the so called "so periods" (which are vanishing), they have the longest lines.

Best food + best smell + best outdoor seating = Lots of folks.

faindrops27
05-02-2007, 03:00 PM
Oh well, this really sucks. I never tried it. But, I was going to try it in August. Oh well. :sad2:

Twende
05-02-2007, 03:09 PM
What a shame! That is DH's favorite place to eat in AK. The food is always very good for a CS and there is always some kind of entertainment going on nearby!:sad1:

agnes!
05-02-2007, 03:17 PM
Speaking of the AK & dining locations...

I was excited about the new AK restaurant until I saw who is going to be running the Yak & Yeti...the same company that runs Rainforest Cafes. I have NEVER had an edible meal in the two different locations I've tried. The new place sounds like a Disneyfied version of an RC...oh goody :scared1: .
We *always* eat at Tusker House - the food & the service are both good (especially for a CS). The other thing for us is that once the new restauant opens up, there goes our DDE discount for Tusker :( . Don't know if we'll be able to get the 20% off at the Dawa Bar anymore either.

agnes!

disneyfav4ever
05-02-2007, 03:27 PM
I guess we're eating at Flame Tree in Sep then. :sad2:

jstouder
05-02-2007, 03:27 PM
That's too bad. This was our favorite CS last year. The food was fantastic and being able to get out of the heat was a bonus.

I guess we will try Flame Tree this year.

Dizneydaz
05-02-2007, 03:38 PM
Well that's a bummer!:confused3 We love Tuskers. I guess it's FT or Yak & Yeti, for us.

Eeyore's Tailfinder
05-02-2007, 03:47 PM
BOO - we will be hitting AK on the 23rd August and wanted to eat here :(

hmp2z
05-02-2007, 05:14 PM
Best food + best smell + best outdoor seating = Lots of folks.

Gosh, we've always been driven away from Flame Tree by the awful poo smell coming out of the bathrooms right next to it! I giggled when I saw the "best smell" quote. And now we don't eat meat, so it's really a pity that they're taking away the only AK restaurant that we enjoy.

Cheers!
Heather W

jbmom
05-02-2007, 05:21 PM
Gosh, we've always been driven away from Flame Tree by the awful poo smell coming out of the bathrooms right next to it! I giggled when I saw the "best smell" quote. And now we don't eat meat, so it's really a pity that they're taking away the only AK restaurant that we enjoy.

Cheers!
Heather W

I agree about the smell, that is one reason we've never tried it.

luv2nascar
05-02-2007, 05:35 PM
My list of closures is growing
HM better open by 9/15 when we arrive
SSE closed
Tusker house closed
Oh boy - Donald's breakfast here we come

disneysteve
05-16-2007, 02:57 PM
Just learned of this today:

Tusker House at Animal Kingdom will be closed August 20 through November 17 to be converted to a buffet service restaurant. The new restaurant will offer a character breakfast buffet, Donald's Safari Breakfast, featuring Donald, Daisy, Mickey and Goofy (subject to change). The restaurant will also have non-character buffets for lunch and dinner. Hours will be from 8 - 10:30 a.m. for breakfast; 11:30 a.m. until park closing for lunch and dinner. When Tusker House reopens, the Kusafiri Coffee Shop and Bakery will only operate from the outdoor window.

Sorry, but this totally sucks. This is one of our favorite Disney restaurants. We ALWAYS stop there mid-morning for juice, coffee and danish and we ALWAYS have lunch there on our AK days. I guess we'll still be able to get a snack in the morning, but will have to sit outside somewhere. And forget the lunches we've come to look forward to. I'm sure the buffet will be considerably more expensive than the current counter service prices.

We did try Flame Tree last trip for the first time and really liked it, so I guess we'll be going there instead.

I think this one warrants a nasty letter to Disney.

faindrops27
05-16-2007, 04:11 PM
Yes I heard the news about Tusker house. About 2 weeks ago. I never been there. But, I am sad to hear because I wanted to try it in August:sad1: