PDA

View Full Version : getting dirt out of white baseball uniform

mjh8955
05-02-2007, 06:18 AM
I can't get the ground in dirt out of my son's WHITE baseball uniform. Have tried Zout, Spray N Wash Stain Stick, Shout Action Gel and Wisk detergent as a pre-soak. The material is professional uniform grade. Any suggestions?

Samandmom
05-02-2007, 06:29 AM
Does your washing machine have a stain cycle? My DS has a light purple shirt for soccer. Last week he go filthy. I washed the shirt with regular clothes and when done I looked at and it still had some stains on it. So I put some Tide right on the shirt put in the washing machine by itself and put it on the stain cycle and its spotless.

holbear
05-02-2007, 06:33 AM
Ds wears the white pants with his uniform and they do get so dirty! I use Biz and it works well.. Also, since his are just the pants I can use plain old bleach. Biz might work well on shirts, though.

imageid
05-02-2007, 06:48 AM
My son plays football, on his dirty grass stained pants I use a soap called Felsnaptha. You can find it with the detergents, it is a bar soap. Get the stains wet and the rub the soap in. Sometimes I scrub the tough ones with a small brush. Then I wash a ususal. It works quite well. Good Luck!

bobcat
05-02-2007, 07:14 AM
Powder dishwasher detergent like Cascade. I had a friend whose boys white uniforms always look so white and this is what she uses. Well I'm now using it as well. Felsnaptha works great on tough stains as well.

aka-mad4themouse
05-02-2007, 07:18 AM
Has the uniform been thru the dryer yet? If so, you may have set the stains and you'll never get them out.

I have better luck on DS's fooball uniform if I use a powder detergent rather than a liquid. I made a paste out of Tide (the bleach alternative version) and water. I let it sit on the stain for a few hours and then launder in the hottest water possible. If the stain doesn't come out, then I repeat the process a second time before the uniform has a chance to dry.

Good luck. DS has some white socks that I can't get clean no matter what I try. I swear that the boy doesn't wear shoes when he goes outside!

beth_cam
05-02-2007, 07:18 AM
Totally toddler helped my dd's white baseball pants. They were terrible. I had this stuff left from when she was little and people said it would work and it never seemed to but it was great on the pants.

ribbot
05-02-2007, 07:22 AM
Some stains are more difficult to remove than others and it depends on the stain and the type of material that the stain is on. Some materials are more difficult to remove stains from, such as silk.

To remove stains from silk, add cup of mild detergent and two teaspoons of white vinegar to two quarts of cold water. Do not soak the material in this solution. Rinse well and then roll the garment in a towel and iron while it is still damp.

To prevent yellowing of linen and wool, especially of garments and blankets, add cup of white vinegar to the rinse water.

If you come across a stain while you're doing your laundry and you don't know how to remove the stain ,then these are some good tips on how to remove it with what you have available in your house.

Oily Stains: Make a paste of sugar and water. Rub it into the stain and let it set before washing.

Non Oily Stains: Make a solution of 1 pint of lukewarm water, 1 teaspoon liquid detergent and 1 teaspoon of white vinegar. Apply this to the stain until the stain is gone then rinse with clear water.

Ink: Soak with hair spray, then dry, then brush lightly with a solution of white vinegar and water. Rinse with clear water.

Salt and Water: White vinegar takes salt and water stains off of leather.

Hair Dye: Use detergent and white vinegar to remove hair dye stains then bleach and hydrogen peroxide. Then wash in washer.

Lipstick: Use full strength lemon juice and salt to the stain, then lay the fabric out in the sun for awhile.

Perspiration: Use 1/4 cup of salt to 1 quart of hot water. Put this mixture on the stain then launder.

Wine and Fruit Juice: Make a paste of lemon juice and salt. Put this mixture on the stain and let it sit for thirty minutes.

Handkerchief Stains: Soak the stained handkerchiefs in a solution of salt water for thirty minutes. Then wash them in hot water.

Rust: To remove rust, make a paste of lemon juice and salt and apply it to the stain. Put the fabric in the sun until the stain disappears.

These are just a few of the ways that you can remove stains from your clothing and they are easily found right in your kitchen.

GoofyBaseballMom26
05-02-2007, 07:44 AM
I used to use Shout and bleach but my son was a catcher and I finally resolved myself to the fact that you can't get it all out. Some fields have dirt that is a lot harder to remove for example that red brickdust. It is almost impossible to get out.

CJMickeyMouse
05-02-2007, 08:01 AM
I agree with goofybaseballmom.... let him be dirty! As your son gets older, that dirt is a sign of a tough, determined player. The kid with the whitest pants might just be made fun of! :rotfl2:

Seriously, don't sweat it... especially if your son doesn't care!!! :thumbsup2

Weluvdisny
05-02-2007, 08:10 AM
I swear by Greased Lightning. I found it at the Dollar General. It got black ink out of my son's new lacrosse jacket.

I would spray it, let it sit overnight, then wash it, air dry then repeat if necessary.

luvsgrumpy
05-02-2007, 08:14 AM
I finally resolved myself to the fact that you can't get it all out.

I'm right there with you! Thankfully our baseball pants are grey but that only helps hide the very faint dirt stains a bit, not the grass. I usually use Tide and scrub it in, as well as doing it as soon as I can so it is a fairly fresh stain. Haven't had the chance to use my new stain stick on them yet (will tonight though) My oldest DS got upset that I was trying to clean his football pants..."it won't look like I've done anything!" So......

This just reminded me, have to wash a uniform for tonight! :laundy:

CJMickeyMouse
05-02-2007, 08:17 AM
Palmolive dish soap will usually take grass stains out of anything.....

beth_cam
05-02-2007, 08:19 AM
I'm right there with you! Thankfully our baseball pants are grey but that only helps hide the very faint dirt stains a bit, not the grass. I usually use Tide and scrub it in, as well as doing it as soon as I can so it is a fairly fresh stain. Haven't had the chance to use my new stain stick on them yet (will tonight though) My oldest DS got upset that I was trying to clean his football pants..."it won't look like I've done anything!" So......

This just reminded me, have to wash a uniform for tonight! :laundy:

i do agree too, my dd's pants were really bad the first time and i used the totally toddler and got them pretty good again but I haven't even bothered since. I figure she is playing baseball in red dirt in white pants, even if they are sparkling clean, they will be dirty again before she even starts the game.

mrsboz
05-02-2007, 08:35 AM
My daughter's basketball shirt that she received this year was disgusting. They are at least ten years old. It was all stained and gross. anyway, I used hydrogen peroxide and bleach. It came out great. I never thought the stains would come out. I tried using all kinds of things before and then I used the bleach and peroxide. It was the only thing that did the trick.

snomofinn
05-02-2007, 08:36 AM
:thumbsup2 I use Oxyclean on every stain. I use the powder and make a paste and rub it in with a old toothbrush and let it sit overnight, always worked for me. I don't miss those days!:thumbsup2

zaza
05-02-2007, 08:44 AM
I don't know if you can still buy Lava soap in a bar, but when my kids were playing ball, I'd use that. Wet the stained area, then rub the soap bar over the stain. Wash as usual. It usually got out all stains for me, even grass-stained knees on jeans. When I was feeling crabby (every pair of jeans stained), I'd make my kids do it themselves!

ameraumi
05-02-2007, 08:56 AM
If it is professional grade material, call the manufacture and ask what they recommend. Some have a guarantee on their products and my replace it at now cost.

Mel6197
05-02-2007, 09:14 AM
Last nights game, they were putting dirt on the field, MOUNDS of Dirt, Well since its only Tee Ball, we just played in the outfield.

Biggets Challenge was getting 25 little boys out of the dirt mounds.

Ive washed his pants, grass stains, are still there,

But I was so proud of him sliding into 1rst base. So i dont mind the stain. :banana:

petchie
05-02-2007, 09:31 AM
My son plays football, on his dirty grass stained pants I use a soap called Felsnaptha. You can find it with the detergents, it is a bar soap. Get the stains wet and the rub the soap in. Sometimes I scrub the tough ones with a small brush. Then I wash a ususal. It works quite well. Good Luck!

I found the Old Fels Naptha bar was the ONLY thing that took out the clay stains. Those were harder than the grass stains!

mjh8955
05-02-2007, 09:35 AM
Great suggestions! I wouldn't care so much about the dirt except it's picture day and I didn't want him to look like the kid with the mother who doesn't know how to do laundry!!!!

cgmac12
05-02-2007, 09:38 AM
My son is a catcher for a Select ball team- our Sunday uniform is white.

Since our pants have purple and gold piping I have to be careful what I use on them. The best thing I have found is Iron Out. You get it at walmart on the cleaning aisle, down by the plumbing stuff. It is a powder. I make a paste of it and let it sit for about five minutes. Then I rinse the pants in the sink and wash like normal.

If the stains are particularly bad that weekend, I will spray some Mean Green (a cleaner I have only found at the dollar store) on the stain after the Iron Out. Then into the washer it goes with a double dose of Oxy.

Hope this helps!

Crystal

AInWonderland
05-02-2007, 09:47 AM
I use gel cascade. It always works great for me.

ncbyrne
05-02-2007, 10:22 AM

I agree with a bar of felsnaptha! It's as old fashioned as you can get, but you can't beat it! Not that you have one, but felsnaptha and a scrub board will can any fabric clean. Since you probably do have a scrub brush, use that instead.

eh24fan
05-02-2007, 10:36 AM
Get out the dirt? HAHAHAHAHAHA My son had stains that I can't get out after the first game a week and a half ago. I gave up after bleaching them 2 times with hot water and gain. I figure why bother? He's only going to get them even worse with the next game. LOL They've had pictures done already, so I'm not going to worry about it anymore. This year they got smart and did them BEFORE the kids ever played a game.

mjh8955
05-02-2007, 02:26 PM
Well, I no longer am worried about what my son will look like in the group picture. I just found out that two of the players got accidently sprayed with ketchup on the way home from last night's games and THEIR mothers could only get the stains to a light pink before pictures today :-)

Shopping Queen
05-02-2007, 03:14 PM
Soak and wash in BIZ . Works for me every time .

KKB
05-02-2007, 05:33 PM
We use Oxy/shout...let it set..wash...still some residue.

Some of the moms said that Scrubbing Bubbles (yes, toilet cleaner!) is what the semi-pro team in town uses...worth a try.

Personally, I can't tell from the stands. And frankly, it is dirty within half an inning anyway!!!!!!!!!!!!

I prefer to spend time on things that are important to ME! (so call me selfish!)

dizkids
05-02-2007, 05:35 PM
:thumbsup2 I use Oxyclean on every stain. I use the powder and make a paste and rub it in with a old toothbrush and let it sit overnight, always worked for me.

I AGREE! My sons baseball uniform is soaking as i speak. It is light gray pants. I use HOT HOT water. Soak it overnight in the bathroom sink ..which is the only reason i find use for my 2nd sink....then if i need to do it one more night i will but it always comes out...even grass stains. Good luck!

Poor thing with white.....i thought the gray was bad.:thumbsup2

englishteacha
05-02-2007, 07:23 PM
I don't understand why uniform pants are white. It seems very silly to me! I also don't think it's fair to make middle school girls wear white shorts for basketball, either. If you've ever been a middle school girl you know why I think this is cruel!

KDIPIAZZ
05-02-2007, 08:41 PM
My son has played for 8 years and is now playing on a travel team as well. I start the season with 3 pairs of pants as it always helps to have at least one spare pair. next year, his uniform will FINALLY have black pants and i CAN'T WAIT!!

Zout is a much better stain remover than Shout or Spray N Wash, but I've found that carpet cleaner (even the cheap stuff from the dollar store) is much more effective.

After a game, I spray the pants down with carpet spot remover and let them sit overnight. The next morning, I use a nail brush and fels naptha soap on the knees. I then wash them on the sanitary cycle (hottest cycle possible) with Cascade Complete instead of laundry detergent. Before I have a front-laoder, i would boil them on top of the stove. Finally, I always hang the pants outside to dry - the sun helps to fade anything that I missed.

This has worked for me for both grass, clay, regular dirt and cheese sauce (I hate cheesy fries!).... even on pants that have been passed down from previous seasons - I've had parents specifically ask for my kids' pants after the season is overbecasue they are stain-free and white instead of yellow or grayish. :yay:

louise'
05-02-2007, 10:24 PM
Alot of bleach takes all the stains out of baseball pants for my kids.

Clued In
09-18-2013, 01:19 PM
Powder dishwasher detergent like Cascade. I had a friend whose boys white uniforms always look so white and this is what she uses. Well I'm now using it as well. Felsnaptha works great on tough stains as well.

BOBCAT, the powered dishwasher detergent sounds great. Gets my dishes clean after all. Tell me how you use it. A paste? In place of laundry detergent? Would really like to try it.:cool1:

It use to be that I could use Dawn directly to get out a lot of things. Dawn stopped saying "Gets the grease out," and with that I noticed, it doesn't work as well any more on grease spots or dirt.:worried:

mickeyboat
09-18-2013, 01:45 PM
Zombie thread! :thumbsup2

Anyway - I soak stained things overnight in cold water with Oxyclean powder dissolved in it. That method has cleaned many softball stains, chocolate milk on white pants stains, blood stains, etc.

I use Dawn foaming dish soap on grase stains. It works even after things have been washed and dried and put away for months before I realized there was a stain. I can't believe I did not know about that sooner.

Cindy B
09-18-2013, 06:28 PM
My friend boils (on the stove top) her sons football and baseball pants. It seems to help-even though it does look a bit gross!

Shelly F - Ohio
09-18-2013, 06:53 PM
Zombie thread! :thumbsup2

Anyway - I soak stained things overnight in cold water with Oxyclean powder dissolved in it. That method has cleaned many softball stains, chocolate milk on white pants stains, blood stains, etc.

I use Dawn foaming dish soap on grase stains. It works even after things have been washed and dried and put away for months before I realized there was a stain. I can't believe I did not know about that sooner.

Well Mickeyboat it is the Zombie season :lmao:

aliceindisneyland
09-20-2013, 01:18 AM
Costco Kirkland industrial powdered detergent. ANYTHING - tomato sauce stain I dried, grease stains, and yes, the blood, sweat, tears, dirt, Gatorade and grass on baseball pants - comes out. Start with a scoop and a hot wash with a 2 hour soak, check it, and go from there. The worst stain the Costco detergent ever got out was the dryer-set tomato sauce stain on a white cotton shirt. I soaked it for 3 days in a bucket with 2 scoops of the detergent. Still hopeless on day 2. On day 3 the stain had disappeared.
Original Wisk is a great pretreater and the enzymes help with the baseball stains (blood, grass). I put it in a Zout bottle with Wisk:Water 1:5. Wisk pretreater plus 1 hour soak in hot with the Costco detergent got the baseball pants clean every time last season.

CuteAndFluffy
09-20-2013, 04:10 AM
It use to be that I could use Dawn directly to get out a lot of things. Dawn stopped saying "Gets the grease out," and with that I noticed, it doesn't work as well any more on grease spots or dirt.:worried:

Old school blue Dawn still works for lots of things. All the new ones have stuff added, but the old one is still amazing.

As for the grass stains, I do a soak in hot water with Oxyclean powder and wash as usual.

tiggerluver12
09-20-2013, 11:45 AM
mjh8995 I just sent you a private message with instructions for using a product called "Iron Out" Can find in your local Lowe's or Home Depot. Works miracles on baseball/softball pants that are stained with that yucky red dirt.

bobcat
09-23-2013, 12:47 PM
BOBCAT, the powered dishwasher detergent sounds great. Gets my dishes clean after all. Tell me how you use it. A paste? In place of laundry detergent? Would really like to try it.:cool1:

Revived from the dead!

I always used it in place of regular detergent, making a paste on the tough spots as needed.

nilseks
09-23-2013, 01:27 PM
I used to use Felsnaptha but I found that all the scrubbing really wore the fabric down. Now I use Zout. We travel all over the midwest and I do agree the type of field makes a difference but for the most part, the way I do it works well. When DS gets home from a game I spray the pants down and leave them sitting on the washer overnight so it soaks in. The next morning I put them in the washer, set it to a small load, and fill with hot water. I let it agitate for a few minutes, then turn it off and leave the pants sitting in the hot water for a few hours. Then just turn it back on and let it finish the load. His pants look great.

I realize this takes some time and wouldn't work for everyone. My son plays travel and has 3 unis so it works for us. ;)

Pea-n-Me
09-24-2013, 12:06 AM
I've posted this before. I use Tide with Bleach. Pants go in in hot water set on low amount of water with a scoop of Tide. Agitate for a few mins maybe a couple of times, then let sit overnight. Continue rest of wash later. They usually come out beautiful.

I used to spray them outside with Shout, but that was messy and expensive (went through tons of Shout) but with above method it's unnecessary.

scaudelle
09-24-2013, 05:10 AM
Use "iron Out". It works wonders. You can find it in the plumbing/hardware department at Wal-Mart.