PDA

View Full Version : Blast from the Past

SauceBoss
05-02-2007, 06:13 AM
Ok, here's one for all us long-term WDW fans. If you could pick an old favorite, just one thing from a former WDW restaurant, Park or even menu what would it be?

Pixiedust34
05-02-2007, 06:36 AM
I'd have a beaver tail from Canada. :goodvibes

suzimar57
05-02-2007, 06:57 AM
shrimp wontons from ohanas.

(a moment of silence for the lost shrimp wontons....) :sad1:

kaytieeldr
05-02-2007, 07:57 AM
The full lunch and dinner menus at CRT...

Chloesmom
05-02-2007, 08:29 AM
Handwiches.. they were so good.

kaybird
05-02-2007, 08:39 AM
From the OOOOLD FW character breakfast w/Chip and Dal all of breakfast but in particular the AMAZING chocolate chip muffins!!!

rcraw45425
05-02-2007, 09:52 AM
shrimp wontons and vegetable lo mein from 'Ohana (going back a few years for the lo mein :))

faberj
05-02-2007, 09:55 AM
I never did get to try one of these as they had already taken them away when we went on our honeymoon. They looked good though from the pictures.

brandi~momof3
05-02-2007, 09:57 AM
Tony's breakfast, it was our family's tradition when I was a kid to eat breakfast there the first day of our vacation :( I miss it

RSoxFan
05-02-2007, 10:01 AM
Breakfast at Bonfamille's at Port Orleans (the one and only real Port Orleans)

:sigh:

Leota
05-02-2007, 10:50 AM
From the Parks:
Tapestry of Nations
Millenium Village
Tropical Serenade - The Original Tiki Room

Food:
Beavertails
Columbia Harbor House - Clam Chowder in a Bread Bowl
Pan-Seared Quail at Citricos (I am seriously mourning that one)
Tapas Menu at Spoodles

Resorts:
Zippety Doo Dah, Tip for Today - No more Stacey, please!

panthergirl
05-02-2007, 11:05 AM
:sad: Tony's breakfast!

dkostel
05-02-2007, 11:10 AM
I agree with Tony's breakfast. It was magical to watch everyone rush around Main Street while enjoying a delicious frittata and coffee.

I also miss the citrus swirls. They switched the frozen OJ with an orange sherbet. A dreamsicle, what a unique treat:sad2: Pretty pathetic considering they are in Florida.

tortoni
05-02-2007, 11:12 AM
Cinnammon pretzels at night in Fantasyland.

FormrCastMbr
05-02-2007, 11:16 AM
Anything from the Gourmet Pantry bakery...I worked there on the WDWCP and still remember those strawberry cheese croissants...heavenly!!! :)

lillygator
05-02-2007, 11:21 AM
the green beans at Ohana

and the Mickey Head butter pats....

MickeyNicki
05-02-2007, 12:00 PM
The hot dog and cheese egg rolls from the cart in Adventureland

The different flavored home made cookies from the TollHouse stand on Main Street in MK

Beef Fried rice from China

The grab and go sandwiches and salads from the Kitchen Pantry in DTD (where Earls is now)

DisneyMomx7
05-02-2007, 01:02 PM
Clam chowder in a bread bowl from Columbia Harbor House
Wontons and green beans from Ohana

And from years ago I miss the sit down breakfast at Tangora Terrace (Polynesian) and Top of the World Dinner Show (Contemporary).

kaytieeldr
05-02-2007, 01:05 PM
Oh, can I pick another one? No? Too bad. The Ice Cream Social (if that counts as a food/menu) at the Garden Grill.

Dizmom0923
05-02-2007, 01:10 PM
I'd have a beaver tail from Canada. :goodvibes

I love the beaver tails......also the pizza they used to serve in Fantasyland a loooong time ago.

canda
05-02-2007, 02:15 PM
I vote for the Ice Creame Social too
and how "The Pirate and the Parrot" used to be open all the time.

Chilehead Too
05-02-2007, 02:23 PM
Beavertails
Clam Chowder Bowl @ Columbia Harbor House
The Ice cream Social:confused:

1Prince3Princesses
05-02-2007, 02:25 PM
Another vote here for the Ice Cream Social. Also, taking the boat over to Discovery Island and walking around on Discovery Island. It was so quiet and peaceful but can't compare to the AK. Another thing that I miss that really isn't Disney, but the Bread Pudding @ the Rainforest Cafe. If I really think about it, I could come up with so much more like the discounts/offers that came with "The Disney Club" card. I still have my cards in my wallet, how sad is that. The Ice Cream Social was free with the Disney Club Card.

DVC Grammy
05-02-2007, 02:31 PM
From the carts in the parks:
Goofy bars- vanilla ice cream with a layer of caramel, all covered with de-lish chocolate, and then the following year...............
Pocahontas bars- chocolate icream w/caramel, covered in chocolate
Both were so mmmmmmmm!:tongue:

darlene9947
05-02-2007, 02:31 PM
The Monte Cristo sandwich. :(

The ones at Bennigan's just aren't the same. But I get them every time I go!

Nom
05-02-2007, 02:44 PM
ITA with the veggie lo mein from Ohana! My dh also loved the Salmon... and I mourn the sweet potatoe bread and pineapple with caramel. :sad1:

I also miss the Mickey Museli from the Grand Floridian Cafe.

What about the little Mickey butter they used to give you- such a special touch! My dd would have loved that. :sad1:

funkyBrewster
05-02-2007, 02:46 PM
The ambience of Ariel's at the Beach club.

Momelie
05-02-2007, 03:05 PM
The bacon cheeseburger from King Stephen's (I think that was the name) that used to be in the castle!

And the bread bowl from Columbia House.

PoohsFan1
05-02-2007, 03:06 PM
The Nestle Tollhouse bakery in Liberty Square. It was across from HM. Two years ago when we were last at MK, I noticed it wasn't there anymore. I know they sell Nestle Tollhouse Chocolate Chip Cookies, but is it only at the MK bakery? I was so bumbed that the place was no more when we went. As a tradion we would ride HM then pop on over for some milk and cookies for an afternoon snack.

kindakrazy2
05-02-2007, 04:10 PM
The Belle's Delight chicken burger from Lumier's in MK. I still dream about that from back in 1994. :guilty:

MickeyisanNDfan
05-02-2007, 04:26 PM
I miss the toll house cookie place that is now sleepy hollow snacks. Being able to stop there for milk and cookies was great! I also miss being able to get a cheeseburger at Pinocchios...haven't been back since they changed the menu! And of course.....who doesn't miss the Emperess Lilly?

Simba's Mom
05-02-2007, 04:43 PM
The full lunch and dinner menus at CRT...
ITA! And I'll be even more specific-I really miss the chicken caesar salad on the lunch menu.
Oh, and a blast from the not-so-distant past-I can't believe they've discontinued the pistachio gelato at BC Marketplace.
There's lots of resturaunts I miss. I'm so glad to see someone else mention the former character breakfast at FW, the Melvin the Moose character breakfast. I also miss the O'Hana breakfast when it was Minnie Menehune, a buffet, and I think the resturaunt was called Papeete Bay Verandah back then. And how about having breakfast with Donald Duck on the Empress Lily riverboat? And I wonder if Dopey eats breakfast anymore-we used to love having breakfast with him at 1900 Park Faire. I loved Bonfamile's at POFQ, and the Top of the World brunch. I wish both Cinderella's and Crystal Palace would return to the days before all their meals were character meals.

rcraw45425
05-02-2007, 05:14 PM
ITA! And I'll be even more specific-I really miss the chicken caesar salad on the lunch menu.
Oh, and a blast from the not-so-distant past-I can't believe they've discontinued the pistachio gelato at BC Marketplace.
There's lots of resturaunts I miss. I'm so glad to see someone else mention the former character breakfast at FW, the Melvin the Moose character breakfast. I also miss the O'Hana breakfast when it was Minnie Menehune, a buffet, and I think the resturaunt was called Papeete Bay Verandah back then. And how about having breakfast with Donald Duck on the Empress Lily riverboat? And I wonder if Dopey eats breakfast anymore-we used to love having breakfast with him at 1900 Park Faire. I loved Bonfamile's at POFQ, and the Top of the World brunch. I wish both Cinderella's and Crystal Palace would return to the days before all their meals were character meals.

Funny you should mention Dopey, when our younger DD (10 now) was like two, in '99, we were at GF for a conference. I took the girls to breakfast there and remember Belle in her blue dress, Snow White and Dopey, and Mary Poppins among others. Dopey was the first "big character" that Amy would take a picture with, up till then it had been hysteria when they came around. Those were the best pictures!

webray
05-02-2007, 05:28 PM
Can't pick just one, they have taken away too many of the really good things..

Monte Christo sandwich from Columbia harbor house
Tangorra Terrace breakfast buffet (poly)
BBQ chicken nachos from the cart in AK
Those big fthick moist suger cookies from gourmet pantry
BBQ chicken and cornbread from Fireworks Factory

Also tha tapestry of nations parade..that should be going on forever..

The christmas dinner show held each holiday season at Contemporary.

Rignes beer in Norway
Ring cakes from the Norway bakery.

There is probably another whole list, but that is what comes to mind right now.

jenjersnap
05-02-2007, 05:55 PM
The big-as-your-head ice cream sandwiches at Main St. bakery - ANY flavor cookie, ANY flavor ice cream.

Yes, I know you can still get them with vanilla. I don't want vanilla, I'm difficult that way. :)

ETA: I agree with the PP about the Ringnes beer in Norway too!

Kayleebug
05-02-2007, 08:03 PM
I also miss the citrus swirls. They switched the frozen OJ with an orange sherbet. A dreamsicle, what a unique treat:sad2: Pretty pathetic considering they are in Florida.

When did they do this? That was my FAVORITE Disney treat! I'm so upset!!!! :mad:

Disney Planner Mama
05-03-2007, 06:30 AM
Have to post two:

The character (Winnie the Pooh) breakfast at Artist Point at the WL. The most civilized breakfast in the most beautiful setting.

The original Spoodles menu -- so much more interesting and tasty than it is now.

oybolshoi
05-03-2007, 06:43 AM
Another vote for the Beaver Tail in Canada and the Ice Cream Social. :thumbsup2

Tonyspad
05-03-2007, 09:17 AM
I miss the Troubador Tavern that served ice cold
Welch's grape juice. Which was located next to Peter Pan and bratwurst from Pinocchio's.

wendy46001
05-03-2007, 10:04 AM
two of mine have already be said...

but the Top of the World brunch (had everything you could think of on it)
and the Main street Ice cream cookie sandwich

Oh and another...the candy by the pound also on main street...we used to get a pound of tiny tarts each and eat till we were sick...

Motherofboys
05-03-2007, 10:11 AM
The peanut chicken skewers from Tusker House, guess I was the only one who loved these :confused3 and the clam chowder bread bowls from CHH.

kymma
05-03-2007, 10:33 AM
I miss Minnie Mia's in the Marketplace (now Downtown Disney). It was a nice little fast food italian restaurant. Loved it.

I haven't been since they stopped serving burgers at Pinocchio's Village Haus but that makes me sad. We would always stop there for a burger and get a seat where we could watch the boats in It's a Small World go by.

Leota
05-03-2007, 10:57 AM
Have to post two:

The character (Winnie the Pooh) breakfast at Artist Point at the WL. The most civilized breakfast in the most beautiful setting.

The original Spoodles menu -- so much more interesting and tasty than it is now.

I totally forgot about that! That was a great breakfast.

Oh & Chakranadi in AK. I liked the potstickers & noodle salad for a quick lunch. DH & I used to split them & have a great quick meal.

Also, looking back over my recipes from F&W Festival over the years (my first one was in 1999) The offerings have gotten very basic and Americanized. They used to be much more ethnic, not the stereotypical offerings they have now. It really was a great opportunity to showcase different cultures cuisines & now I think they are missing out on that.

RSoxFan
05-03-2007, 11:44 AM
I miss the toll house cookie place that is now sleepy hollow snacks. Being able to stop there for milk and cookies was great! I also miss being able to get a cheeseburger at Pinocchios...haven't been back since they changed the menu! And of course.....who doesn't miss the Emperess Lilly?

How could I have forgotten the Empress Lily??? :eek:

That was the best breakfast in all of Disney. I also miss the real Chef Mickey's, when it was in Downtown Disney. It was really nice then, not all crazy like it is now.

Uncleromulus
05-03-2007, 12:15 PM
These nostalgia threads almost make me cry. So many nice places that are now just history.
My absolute favorite would be Papeete Bay. Then there's Seasons, Harry's Safari, Ariels, all three restaurants on the Empress Lilly (and the riverboat that went with them), Tony's for breakfast, Bonfamillies, Sum Chows--well I could go on, but just getting myself more upset.
One last one--the splendid supper club that was where California Grill is now. Even before the Broadway at the Top show. They had big name entertainment there.
Just noticed the OP mentioned a menu item. That would probably be the Pigs N' Prawns I had at Papeete Bay. In fact, I had it 2 nights in a row back in 1975.
Honorable mention to a wonderful appetizer at Harry's Safari--mushroom caps stuffed with sausage (sage, not Italian) and topped w/ cheese. There were 6 HUGE mushrooms on that plate. Wonderful dish..

DisneyHolidayFan
05-03-2007, 01:48 PM
The old menu at Garden Grill with the wonderful Apple Crisp!!!

mom2alix
05-03-2007, 02:24 PM
For me it would be the Pu-pu platter at 'Ohana

For DH it would be the baseball-size chocolate rumballs they used to have in Norway. It's been 10 years and he still looks for them every visit just in case they have them again. :rotfl:

rcraw45425
05-03-2007, 03:16 PM
For me it would be the Pu-pu platter at 'Ohana

For DH it would be the baseball-size chocolate rumballs they used to have in Norway. It's been 10 years and he still looks for them every visit just in case they have them again. :rotfl:

OMG, I had forgotten the Pu pu platter, I remember how the girls giggled when they heard it called that!

BadgerBruce
05-03-2007, 04:41 PM
There are many, but I'll narrow it down to the breakfast calzone at Tony's Town Square in the MK. Delicious! I also have to add the late, great carrot cake at Tusker House in the AK.:sad1:

kaytieeldr
05-03-2007, 05:29 PM
Another one, although I could be entirely wrong: The bread bowl at Sleepy Hollow - and you could sit there and see the afternoon parade sort of overhead, with nobody blocking your view. But, as I said, I could be remembering the wrong place.

fla4fun
05-03-2007, 07:57 PM
I have to agree with the Top of the World breakfast. Back when the MK was all there was, it was so cool to go to the Top for breakfast before heading out to the MK.

I miss Chef Mickey's Village Restaurant at Downtown Disney (especially the peach cobbler).

I miss the pizza at the Plaza Pavilion (especially the corner pieces with the golden brown cheese).

I miss the Fireworks Factory at PI. They had the best hot wings on the planet (I've never found any anywhere else that even come close) and great cornbread too.

Last, but not least, I miss the Coral Isle Cafe at Poly.

Cinderumbrella
05-03-2007, 09:37 PM
Another vote for Tony's Breakfast- that stuffed french toast was to die for!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dreamfinder2
05-03-2007, 09:48 PM
Me! Me! *waving hand furiously*

Maybe things have changed more than I care to admit.

The Sunday brunch at Papeete Bay Verandah.

The Gulf Coast Room on the 2nd floor of the Contemporary Resort. That was our first meal as a married couple in 1980, and jackets AND ties were required.

The Lake Buena Vista Club. What a cooly elegant spot! (And extra credit to anyone who remembers what it was renamed.)

The Empress Room on the Empress Lily. At tht time, that was the very finest dining spot I'd ever experienced, with the gold leaf on the dome of the room.

Flagler's at the Grand Floridian (now Citrico's.)

And so on ... Adventureland Terrace, with those teriyaki-sauced burgers. Some have mentioned the Monte Cristo's at Columbia Harbor House. That was a fine sandwich.

Thanks for the nostalgic wallow.

tndisneyfan
05-04-2007, 03:51 AM
I have two items. The shrimp wontons at Ohana and the Mickey face ice cream bars that had a vanilla ice cream face with chocolate ice cream ears.

fla4fun
05-04-2007, 07:05 AM
The Lake Buena Vista Club. What a cooly elegant spot! (And extra credit to anyone who remembers what it was renamed.)

Are you talking about the Pompano Grill at the Lake Buena Vista Golf Club? I remember that the guys always had to wear jackets there and it was one of the dressier restaurants on property. Then in the late 80's it became a lot more casual and the menu changed. They shut it down completely when they built the Disney Institute.

dizneykid
05-04-2007, 07:38 AM
Here's one. Does anyone remember the Welch's grape juice stand in Fantasyland? It was right across from It's a Small World, (I think).

I remember going with my family, in the middle of the summer and at the end of the night, we used to go and each get a large drink from there. They had white, red, and purple grape juice. They were in large kegs.

The drinks were ice cold and delicious. My mom used to always drink hers so fast she would get brain freeze. ;)