PDA

View Full Version : WDW Resorts go Smoke Free

Cheshire Figment
05-01-2007, 03:34 PM
Walt Disney World Resort Press Release

Walt Disney World Resort Resorts Go Smoke-Free
Move to smoke-free is in response to increased guest demand for smoke-free rooms

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla., May 1, 2007 – Walt Disney World Resort Senior Vice President for Operations Erin Wallace announced today, all Disney-owned and operated hotels at the Walt Disney World Resort will become smoke-free by June 1, 2007. The policy also applies to all Disney Vacation Club Resorts. With more than 20 Disney owned and operated resorts on property; this represents the largest single site resort complex to institute this type of smoking policy change.

“We make adjustments to our operations based on guest demand,” Wallace said. “This policy complements our efforts to provide our guests with the healthy living options they are requesting.”

During the last five years guest demand for smoking rooms at the Walt Disney World Resort have been declining steadily. Currently, less than 3.5 percent of Walt Disney World’s 24,000 resort rooms are smoking optional. This transition allows us to better accommodate the increasing number of guests requesting smoke-free rooms. This trend is not specific to the Walt Disney World Resort. According to the American Automobile Association, more travelers are requesting smoke-free environments.

"With more than 50 million members, AAA representsNorth America's largest traveler group and increasingly our members, like many Americans, are demanding smoke free accommodations." said Sandra Hughes, VP of Travel for AAA. "Hotels are responding by going beyond the traditional standard of smoking and non-smoking rooms, and are going smoke-free throughout their properties."

The new policy applies to all guest rooms, patios and balconies and designates outdoor smoking areas at all resorts affected by the change. Smoking is currently prohibited in all lobbies, common areas, restaurants and convention spaces. Additionally, in January 2000 the Walt Disney World Resort theme and water parks became smoke-free with smoking allowed in designated smoking areas only.

All Aboard
05-01-2007, 04:43 PM
Well shoot. Both times that I have arrived too late and all the non-smoking rooms at my resort were filled, they upgraded me to a better class of resort at the same discounted rate. Guess that'll never happen again.

MasterShake
05-01-2007, 05:03 PM
As a non-smoker I'm glad that Disney is going smoke free. While smoking is not illegal, it is very difficult to smoke without inconveniencing others. It’s not just the fact that smoking is harmful to everyone’s health, but it is also the odor that clings to clothes and hair. Sometimes just standing near someone who smokes is enough to have that unpleasant smell linger with you all day. While it’s unfortunate for smokers, the only real places they can smoke without inconveniencing others is their own home, car, and open spots in non-traffic areas.

raidermatt
05-01-2007, 05:11 PM
Not really interested in getting into a debate on smoking and smokers' rights, but just because of the management and reputation issues, I'm honestly surprised it took them this long.

MasterShake
05-01-2007, 05:31 PM
Not really interested in getting into a debate on smoking and smokers' rights, but just because of the management and reputation issues, I'm honestly surprised it took them this long.

Why not, :confused3 smoking debates are some of the best threads on here. :banana:

raidermatt
05-01-2007, 05:37 PM
And they were so productive too...

Can't imagine why the debate board was axed.

mrsR123
05-01-2007, 05:37 PM
:cloud9:

Grumpy_Disney_Dad
05-01-2007, 05:53 PM
As a smoker, I am glad Disney is doing this. I dont smoke in my house or car because of the residual smell it leaves and i can only imagine how a smoking hotel room must smell.

pkgman
05-01-2007, 09:28 PM
:cloud9:

Just how I feel about. :thumbsup2

Anybody care to guess how long until all of Disney's property is smoke-free.

crazy4wdw
05-02-2007, 06:38 AM
Disney-owned hotels ban smoking, If caught, guests face a steep 'cleaning fee.'

Scott Powers | Sentinel Staff Writer
Posted May 2, 2007

No more smoking or nonsmoking room options at Walt Disney World hotels. No more foul, secondhand smoke lingering in a room or wafting down a hallway. And no more last, quiet cigarette of the night out on the balcony, under a rising Florida moon.

Disney World said Tuesday it is putting out cigarettes and cigars for good in its hotels and time-share buildings, making it the largest single-site resort complex to take such an action, company officials said. Starting June 1, smoking will be banned in all Disney-owned hotel rooms and time-share rooms, and on their balconies, patios and other areas except designated smoking zones.

"We've just continued to see the demand for smoking decline, and in the last several years it has really begun to fall off dramatically," Disney World Senior Vice President Erin Wallace said. "Less than 4 percent of our rooms today are being reserved for smokers. It's time to go the whole way."

As with its policy in the theme parks, Disney World will designate outdoor smoking areas in fairly private locations at all its hotels. Disney instituted a similar policy last year at its Disneyland hotels in California.

The ban reflects a national trend among hotels. However, some hotels not owned by the Walt Disney Co. on Disney World property, such as the Hilton on Hotel Plaza Boulevard, will continue to permit smoking.

Whether smokers will gravitate to those hotels is unclear. Wallace said Disney will help rebook hotel guests who already have reservations and were expecting to be able to smoke.

Smokers-rights advocate Chris McCalla of Columbus, Ga., thinks smokers will vote with their wallets. McCalla, legislative director for the Retail Tobacco Dealers of America, said 18 percent of the American population uses tobacco products. He said that's a big minority for any business to dismiss.

"A lot of members say, 'You know what? I'm not going back,' " he said. "If that's how they treat us, we won't go back."

Maybe. But Disney and hotel chains that already ban smoking are doing so in part to please the majority of their customers, said Abe Pizam, dean of the University of Central Florida's Rosen College of Hospitality Management. Nonsmokers are getting more and more assertive in objecting to secondhand smoke, he said.

"They want that there be no smoking in their presence. It's not just a couple feet away," Pizam said. "So this is answering the market demand. It's not just that Disney came up with the idea -- the idea came from the bottom up. The customers are demanding that."

It can be expensive to sneak a cigarette in a nonsmoking room. If Disney finds that someone did light up, a "cleaning fee" of $250 to $500 will be tacked onto the customer's bill. That is to cover the replacement of fabrics such as draperies and bedding, and the deep cleaning of everything else.

"We will charge them a cleaning fee. That's pretty typical in the industry," Wallace said. "We'll be clear to say no, and we're going to enforce the policy."

Scott Powers can be reached at spowers@orlandosentinel.com or 407-420-5441.

rodkenrich
05-02-2007, 06:47 AM
Finally.

All Aboard
05-02-2007, 08:36 AM
that's a big minority for any business to dismiss... If that's how they treat us, we won't go back.

Someone is once again confusing "ING" with "ERS". It's not smokERS that are being procluded, it's smokING.

I'm a beer drinkER, but I don't avoid the Magic Kingdom because there is no beer drinkING. Nor do they tell me I can't be there. They just proclude the activity. I don't feel like they are doing something to dismiss me. That's silly.

NudISTS are permitted in the parks, not nudITY. Where is their outcry? It's smokING, not smokERS.

Why do smokers always feel like it is an attack on THEM and not on the ACTIVITY? And, why do they define themselves as "smokers" anyway? Why is it "us"? They refer to it as if it were a race or religious group.

OK Matt, I started it.

DisneyKidds
05-02-2007, 09:03 AM
Well said Mr. All Aboard.

Glad Disney made the move. My wife is pretty sensitive to smoke and the whole smoking/non-smoking room thing doesn't always prevent the smoke from impacting the non-smoking rooms.

After watching my mother suffer an extremely painful and torturous death at the age of 50 as a result of lung cancer brought on by smoking I feel every smoker should be required to spend a week, heck...even a day, with a terminally ill lung cancer patient. That would help 'em kick the addiction in a hurry, no matter how bad they were hooked.

Jynohn
05-02-2007, 09:35 AM
I only hope they will expand this policy onto the cruise ships as well. I was pretty disappointed that I paid extra for a balcony that I never got to use due to the smokers on either side of us. :(

I remarked on the survey they gave us that I will never pay for a balcony again unless it is guaranteed non-smoking.

Kim&Chris
05-02-2007, 10:18 AM
I am SO happy about this, and really hope they do enforce the 'cleaning fee' policy.

Nothing is worse than checking into a room that's supposed to be smoke-free, and smelling that horrible cigarette odor. YUCK!

Way to Go, Disney!!!

mochabean
05-02-2007, 11:48 AM
Somebody's massaging the statistics, and it isn't Disney.

"Less than 4 percent of our rooms today are being reserved for smokers" Senior Vice President Erin Wallace said.

Smokers-rights advocate Chris McCalla of Columbus, Ga. ... said 18 percent of the American population uses tobacco products. He said that's a big minority for any business to dismiss.

Just because you "use tobacco products" doesn't mean you smoke. "Dismissing" 4% of the population is a bit different than 18%, and that's assuming all 4% refuse to come to Disney after the ban takes effect.

All in all I applaud Disney's move. I just hope they really enforce it.

thefirebuilds
05-02-2007, 11:56 AM
As a non-smoker I'm glad that Disney is going smoke free. While smoking is not illegal,

Sex isnt illegal either, but we dont do it on people's dinner tables.

And yes I know Im being ignorant to the hotel situation. I try to be. *shudders*

WI_DisneyFan
05-02-2007, 12:20 PM
I'm sure this goes without saying, but is Disney going to thoroughly clean all of the old smoking rooms prior to converting them to non-smoking rooms? I wouldn't want to be one of the people getting a non-smoking room that reeks of smoke.

EUROPACL
05-02-2007, 12:30 PM
Sex isnt illegal either, but we dont do it on people's dinner tables.

And yes I know Im being ignorant to the hotel situation. I try to be. *shudders*

Makes you want to run out and buy a black light for your next stay at Disney World ....right?

mitros
05-02-2007, 02:57 PM
I'm sure this goes without saying, but is Disney going to thoroughly clean all of the old smoking rooms prior to converting them to non-smoking rooms? I wouldn't want to be one of the people getting a non-smoking room that reeks of smoke.

You know, I wonder how they would go about that, tear down the walls, get rid of the bedding, etc, etc.
DW is sensitive to smoke and becomes very ill around smoked-in areas. About a year ago, when we stayed at SSR, we were sent to a nonsmoking room that some clod decided to smoke in. We opened the door to the room and DW gaged at the horrendous odor eminating from the room. Of course, the front desk apologized, and gave us another room. My point is, if there are no rooms that you can smoke in, these smokers WILL still smoke in the room they get, {no, not all smokers, there are those that are considerate of others} and do we really think Disney is going to charge these folks for the extra cleaning that would have to be done?:confused3

thefirebuilds
05-02-2007, 03:02 PM
and theyll get a bill at some point just like people get for smashing TVs or wrecking phones.

J.J.
05-02-2007, 04:37 PM
It's about time. I hope they extend this policy to the cruise line as well. We loved our balcony on our last cruise but hated the people who were smoking on their balconies around us. Thank you Disney.

FigNewton
05-02-2007, 07:59 PM
Why do smokers always feel like it is an attack on THEM and not on the ACTIVITY? And, why do they define themselves as "smokers" anyway? Why is it "us"? They refer to it as if it were a race or religious group.

Because of people and posts like this:

It's about time. I hope they extend this policy to the cruise line as well. We loved our balcony on our last cruise but hated the people who were smoking on their balconies around us. Thank you Disney.

I don't think there will be that much of a outcry in the end... as long as there is SOMEWHERE they can go with reasonable convenience.

Another Voice
05-02-2007, 10:57 PM
Does anyone remember back when they allowed smoking on airplanes? The world has sure changed.

Ricky's Girl
05-02-2007, 11:19 PM
:thumbsup2 for Disney!

All Aboard
05-03-2007, 08:03 AM
Does anyone remember back when they allowed smoking on airplanes? The world has sure changed.

Yes, indeed: http://www.thismodernworld.com/media/gra/gra_bDoctor.jpg

Lucky 11
05-03-2007, 06:24 PM
They were very clear to say loudly what the Non-Smokers wanted to hear. They can't even give us smokers the consideration of telling us where we have been banished to.

The number of smoking room request should be down. Most of us no longer smoke in our houses, cars or hotel rooms. We smoke on the balcony out of courtesy to Non-Smokers. Ya see what that got us?

All smokers should keep an unlit cigarette in their hand throughout their stay. Even take a puff now and then. That would drive them crazy. Especially the Non-Smokers. If there is no fire or smoke, what can they say.

John / Texas

thefirebuilds
05-03-2007, 06:36 PM
We can say "You smell like burnt tar."

thefirebuilds
05-03-2007, 06:42 PM
Makes you want to run out and buy a black light for your next stay at Disney World ....right?

no, ignorance is bliss.

J.J.
05-03-2007, 08:34 PM
Because of people and posts like this:

I don't think there will be that much of a outcry in the end... as long as there is SOMEWHERE they can go with reasonable convenience.

I'm sorry. my post was a little rushed. I don't hate the smokERS. But I do hate the habit of smokING and can't wait for it to be BANNED from the ship.

Have a nice day.

JJ

Another Voice
05-03-2007, 09:26 PM
All smokers should keep an unlit cigarette in their hand throughout their stay. Even take a puff now and then. That would drive them crazy. Especially the Non-Smokers. If there is no fire or smoke, what can they say.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'll say,

"Please keep your death-dealing cancer stick away from my children. It is an outdated device of ignorance and personal weakness that has no place in the modern, civilized world. We hide guns, liquor and sex from our children until they are old enough to understand the hazards involved. Your weapon of self-destruction and carrier of disease to all around you falls in the same category. If you feel strongly about ‘making a statement’ in front of families, a red t-shirt with the inscription ‘ASK ME ABOUT EMPHYSEMA’ in large friendly letters will work just as well until you are forced to carry around a twenty pound bottle of oxygen or have to breathe through a plastic nozzle in your neck (now that's a statement). Until then, please just thank me for paying double for my health insurance so wheezing dimwits don’t have to suffer the full cost of their own irresponsibility. Please enjoy the rest of your visit to Walt Disney World."

mitros
05-03-2007, 09:42 PM

"Please keep your death-dealing cancer stick away from my children. It is an outdated device of ignorance and personal weakness that has no place in the modern, civilized world. We hide guns, liquor and sex from our children until they are old enough to understand the hazards involved. Your weapon of self-destruction and carrier of disease to all around you falls in the same category. If you feel strongly about ‘making a statement’ in front of families, a red t-shirt with the inscription ‘ASK ME ABOUT EMPHYSEMA’ in large friendly letters will work just as well until you are forced to carry around a twenty pound bottle of oxygen or have to breathe through a plastic nozzle in your neck (now that's a statement). Until then, please just thank me for paying double for my health insurance so wheezing dimwits don’t have to suffer the full cost of their own irresponsibility. Please enjoy the rest of your visit to Walt Disney World."

As usual, AV, thanks!:thumbsup2

patsal
05-03-2007, 09:47 PM
I realize that many smokers believe they are doing the right thing by using the balcony, and if it is a smoking room than that is fine, but when the smoker reserves a nonsmoking room or is placed in one, and chooses to smoke on the balcony that means I have to take my very smoke sensitive child to the ER. I have always had non-smoking rooms for medical reasons reserved and have had issues many times, last summer we had a 1BR at OKW, then a studio and then back to the 1BR--the family in the studion smoked in the room and on the porch. The smoke seeped under the adjoining doors, we could not use the balcony and overall it was a mess, guess where they put us when we checked out and back in again--my favorite part, when I said I couldn't take the room becasue I knew it had been smoked in--You should have reported it, now we are going to have to rework the room assignments--you really should have reported it so we could have done something. Wow, ok but how do I know that you didn't say smoking optional because you didn't have a smoking room for them? The year before , our room at POR had been smoked in, and getting a new room nearly impossible since there was some little league convention. I have had even more experiences, but no point listing them. Either you get it or you don't. I am not trying to deprive anyone of their right to put anything they want into their own body, but when it puts my family or I in direct harm then I have a right to express my displeasure.

mitros
05-03-2007, 10:10 PM
I realize that many smokers believe they are doing the right thing by using the balcony, and if it is a smoking room than that is fine, but when the smoker reserves a nonsmoking room or is placed in one, and chooses to smoke on the balcony that means I have to take my very smoke sensitive child to the ER. I have always had non-smoking rooms for medical reasons reserved and have had issues many times, last summer we had a 1BR at OKW, then a studio and then back to the 1BR--the family in the studion smoked in the room and on the porch. The smoke seeped under the adjoining doors, we could not use the balcony and overall it was a mess, guess where they put us when we checked out and back in again--my favorite part, when I said I couldn't take the room becasue I knew it had been smoked in--You should have reported it, now we are going to have to rework the room assignments--you really should have reported it so we could have done something. Wow, ok but how do I know that you didn't say smoking optional because you didn't have a smoking room for them? The year before , our room at POR had been smoked in, and getting a new room nearly impossible since there was some little league convention. I have had even more experiences, but no point listing them. Either you get it or you don't. I am not trying to deprive anyone of their right to put anything they want into their own body, but when it puts my family or I in direct harm then I have a right to express my displeasure.

Thanks, your last sentence says it all. Folks have the right to do what they want to THEMSELVES, but they DO NOT have the right to harm others with the things they do.

GFDiNB
05-03-2007, 10:35 PM
Though I myself no longer smoke, I must say I'm a little disappointed about this policy change. I don't understand why a nominal amount of rooms can't be set aside for smokers, no great amout but a reasonable amount. As with any other reservation, once they are filled, they are filled. At least then smokers would have some opportunity. I know my roommate smoke and is extremely responsible, careful and clean. This will not keep us away from Disney, we do understand but it seems a shame some sort of happy medium could not have been reached; I always felt having certain rooms on the top floor set aside for smoking was good and as we all know smoke rises so it shouldn't affect others.

Lucky 11
05-16-2007, 08:18 AM
You can't blame smelling smoke on what's wrong with you people. I bet you all hate everybody for everything. You people should not even be out in the public. You make me Sick, Sick, Sick. You get more smoke from a bus going by. Get over it.

John/Texas

Lucky 11
05-16-2007, 08:27 AM
I kinda understand why DIS is closing all the smoking threads. We can't take all the DRAMA about a little smoke in your nose ANY LONGER.

PLEASE

NO MORE DRAMA, BUY NOSE PLUGS, STAY HOME,

YOUR NOT WELCOME HOME ANYMORE

How does that feel? Do you like it.

John / Texas

patsal
05-16-2007, 12:45 PM
You can't blame smelling smoke on what's wrong with you people. I bet you all hate everybody for everything. You people should not even be out in the public. You make me Sick, Sick, Sick. You get more smoke from a bus going by. Get over it.

John/Texas

Actually, no, I don't really hate anyone. Bus exhaust and cigarette smoke are two different emissions BTW, but I do all I can to avoid that as well.

EUROPACL
05-16-2007, 01:07 PM
BTW, but I do all I can to avoid that as well.

Hello...AlGore and his years of scientific research and tens of believers have a "consensus" that say you can't.

All Aboard
05-16-2007, 06:23 PM

Again, Disney isn't telling smokERS they can't come, they're simply saying there is no smokING. No matter how badly someone is addicted to crapping in the middle of their hotel room carpet, they're not allowed to do it at Disney resorts. Carpet crappERS are welcome at Disney resorts. Carpet crappING is not.

I don't see a big difference here.

mitros
05-16-2007, 06:31 PM
I kinda understand why DIS is closing all the smoking threads. We can't take all the DRAMA about a little smoke in your nose ANY LONGER.

PLEASE

John / Texas

Uhh...... calm down pal. :sad2:

GFDiNB
05-16-2007, 09:08 PM
As I clearly stated I travel with someone who smokes or were you so wrapped up in your narrow mindedness to catch that? I don't hate anyone, if I feel anything it's pity on folks so wrapped up in themselves and there own ideas that they lash out at others. Chill out my friend, I wish some happy medium could be reached but the are much more important things in life to spend my time on rather than wether or not I can smoke in my room; besides the fresh air will do us all good.

SnackyStacky
05-17-2007, 09:34 AM

PLEASE

John / Texas

I shouldn't get into this....BUT....

Do what you want to yourself. I don't care. It's your business, it's your body. But I have every right to breathe clean air. I shouldn't HAVE to change anything because of a behavior you CHOOSE to practice.

I agree with All Aboard. I've got no problem with smokERS. It's the smokING that I have a problem with.

Based on that, let's make some slight corrections:

INstead of:

How about:

NO MORE DRAMA, WE'VE SET ASIDE A PARTICULAR PLACE WHERE YOU CAN SMOKE WITHOUT NON-SMOKERS BOTHERING YOU, COME ANYTIME, YOU'RE ALWAYS WELCOME HERE, BUT SMOKING IS NOT

G8RFAN
05-17-2007, 11:09 AM
We recently came back from a trip to Europe. I was surprised at how restrictive they were in Italy in regards to smoking. Many indoor eating establishment and hotel had no smoking signs. France and the UK were much more tolerant of smokers in enclosed spaces. I do feel that the argument that such a policy will hurt WDW with the foreign tourists is a bit overblown and probably will not be much of an impact. I think Disney is heading down a path that will eventually become the standard, if not legislated. However, I do think that we have become so tort conscious as a society that we feel that we have right to be unimpeded in life without fear of harm. If someone is smoking in a designated smoking area and the smoke drifts in my direction, I'll move, just like I'll move if the person near me has the flu and is sneezing and coughing. We live in a society with other people and we have to deal with each other either confrontationaly or amicably. Your karma determines the path you take. The one thing I would suggest of Disney resorts is to put the smoking areas away from the front entrance. When you have a gathering of smokers right there, there is really no way for anyone to navigate into the resort without walking through it.

disneyfan67
05-17-2007, 12:01 PM

Very well done.:thumbsup2

I think that it sums the debate up very well and this section of your post really stood out and caught my attention.

It is an outdated device of ignorance and personal weakness that has no place in the modern, civilized world.

That quote of yours should be printed on T Shirts and sold everywhere. I'm going to start using that saying. I'm a guy who doesn't really care what people do in the privacy of their homes/rooms, but smokers are forcing me to become something I don't want to be. My policy used to be that as long as I don't have to pay for it, clean up after it, and it doesn't involve kids or animals, do what ever harmful things you want to, but just do it at home.

There is a good chance that in a few years that some form of National health care plan will be implemented and if it is, we will be paying for all the problems smoking creates. I see smoking going away in the next 2 decades and just look how much rules have changed in the last 20 years. I don't want to infringe on peoples rights, but having grown up around smokers for the past 40 years, I've seen my fair share of damage that smoking provides. Like you said AV, it's an outdated device and we will be a better and healthier nation once it goes away.

MasterShake
05-18-2007, 01:50 PM

John/Texas

LOL

I guess what it comes down to is, why should anyone have to be inconvenienced by your habit? While I doubt that I will have any lasting health issues by the very minimal second hand smoke I get from others, I don't want to have to smell it. It gets in your hair/clothes and if you have to stand near someone that is smoking it is uncomfortable. How would you feel if someone was whizzing rocks past your head? None are hurting you, but I bet it would annoy you.

At some point you are going to rely on your health provided to pay your doctors bills and the costs will be passed onto the rest of us. We'll all be paying a little for your cancer treatment and your oxygen tank.

If you could smoke without inconveniencing me, my kids, or my wallet I would be fine with it. You can't, so I guess you will have to be a little more inconvenienced while at Disney when you’ re enjoying your addiction.

skoi
05-19-2007, 03:51 PM
We recently came back from a trip to Europe. I was surprised at how restrictive they were in Italy in regards to smoking. Many indoor eating establishment and hotel had no smoking signs. France and the UK were much more tolerant of smokers in enclosed spaces. I do feel that the argument that such a policy will hurt WDW with the foreign tourists is a bit overblown and probably will not be much of an impact. I think Disney is heading down a path that will eventually become the standard, if not legislated.

When we were in Germany in January, there was a big buzz about the EU planning to implement a total ban on all smoking in public, and pressure businesses, etc to do the same. So it seems that even Western Europe is going this way.

clkelley
05-21-2007, 01:07 PM
I've got a strange feeling the "smoking" surcharge is way too low. When someone spends between $5,000 and $15,000 on a Disney vacation, what is another $500. I did ask Disney, and they said that the fee is per reservation, not per incident.

I can just see that some smokers when told about the policy and fee, will just say, charge me the fee, cause I am going to smoke in the room.

I am a smoker, but will not smoke in the room, never have. Have always happily gone to designated areas. However, the new policy will forever preclude me from staying at deluxe or DVC resorts with inside hallways. Just won't do it.

Oh, they also said that smoking will still be allowed at individual campsites outside at Ft. Wilderness, and on the porches of the Cabins at Ft. Wilderness.

sammi6
05-21-2007, 02:33 PM
Probably a stupid question, but I can't remember are you allowed to smoke in the parks? Are there designated areas there? I am not a smoker, but my father is and we are going in October.

EUROPACL
05-21-2007, 02:40 PM
Probably a stupid question, but I can't remember are you allowed to smoke in the parks? Are there designated areas there? I am not a smoker, but my father is and we are going in October.

Proof that people don't read the threads before they post.

From the first post.

Additionally, in January 2000 the Walt Disney World Resort theme and water parks became smoke-free with smoking allowed in designated smoking areas only.

MasterShake
05-21-2007, 06:06 PM
:confused3 :confused3 :confused3 :confused3 :confused3

crazy4wdw
05-21-2007, 06:41 PM

Was this comment really necessary?:confused:

EUROPACL
05-21-2007, 07:05 PM
Was this comment really necessary?:confused:

You are correct it is redundant.

mickyzzzzz05
05-22-2007, 10:41 PM

From the first post.

Wow! That was friendly! Hope your day gets better soon.

sdrsdd
05-27-2007, 12:12 PM
I am so glad to hear this...I do not like to see people smoking around children anyway. Maybe more and more places will follow suit! Thanks Disney for doing the right thing!!

Dreamfinder2
06-02-2007, 02:17 PM
It's June 2 and the new policy is in effect. I wonder how it's going ... I'd be interested in hearing some current intel.

DVCconvert
06-02-2007, 10:20 PM
I can just see that some smokers when told about the policy and fee, will just say, charge me the fee, cause I am going to smoke in the room.

It's a fact that will happen.

Oh, they also said that smoking will still be allowed at individual campsites outside at Ft. Wilderness, and on the porches of the Cabins at Ft. Wilderness

Pretty hypocritical, isn't it?

Mickey'sApprentice
06-03-2007, 12:46 AM
O.K., I took a big trip to BWV with extended familly in mid-April.

DSIS and DBIL both smoke CONSTANTLY.

Our reservation was for a 2 bdrm non-smoking villa and a smoking studio for DSIS, DBIL, and DNiece8.

DISNEY gave DSIS a non-smoking room and told them they could smoke on the balcony. Since DSIS was told they could smoke on the balcony at their studio, they understood that they could smoke on the balcony of the 2 bedroom.

Long story short, DSIS & DBIL tend to get an attitude with the smoking, and we were in full keep the peace mode, and knew they would pull DNiece8 out of WDW because DSIS and DBIL couldn't smoke. Yada yada yada...I wanted to pull my hair out.

Result: Disney had both a studio and a 2 bedroom at BWV with smoking on the balcony. DSIS may have even smoked in their studio as they were ticked at Disney. Not sure.

DSIS also complained that the smoking areas within the parks were much too far apart, and hard to find.

We came home and Disney immediately changed the smoking policy.

Gee, I hope it was just a coincidence. Although I can take some blame for all of the smoking, IMO, much more blame goes to my smoking relatives and to Disney.

I had planned for them to smoke in their smoking studio and only in their smoking studio, and could not easily be stricter than Disney.

mitros
06-03-2007, 01:31 PM
O.K., I took a big trip to BWV with extended familly in mid-April.

DSIS and DBIL both smoke CONSTANTLY.

Our reservation was for a 2 bdrm non-smoking villa and a smoking studio for DSIS, DBIL, and DNiece8.

DISNEY gave DSIS a non-smoking room and told them they could smoke on the balcony. Since DSIS was told they could smoke on the balcony at their studio, they understood that they could smoke on the balcony of the 2 bedroom.

Long story short, DSIS & DBIL tend to get an attitude with the smoking, and we were in full keep the peace mode, and knew they would pull DNiece8 out of WDW because DSIS and DBIL couldn't smoke. Yada yada yada...I wanted to pull my hair out.

Result: Disney had both a studio and a 2 bedroom at BWV with smoking on the balcony. DSIS may have even smoked in their studio as they were ticked at Disney. Not sure.

DSIS also complained that the smoking areas within the parks were much too far apart, and hard to find.

We came home and Disney immediately changed the smoking policy.

Gee, I hope it was just a coincidence. Although I can take some blame for all of the smoking, IMO, much more blame goes to my smoking relatives and to Disney.

I had planned for them to smoke in their smoking studio and only in their smoking studio, and could not easily be stricter than Disney.

Maybe it's just me, but I could not fully understand every aspect of your post, but I'll just say, that if they smoked in a room that they were not supposed to , I hope that they have to pay the full cleaning charge to get the room back in pristine condition..........

michygoomy
06-03-2007, 01:43 PM
Just got off the phone with POP. They said there are two DSAs:

1.) Near the pool bar
2.) Off a walkway to the main building

Mickey'sApprentice
06-03-2007, 07:18 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I could not fully understand every aspect of your post, but I'll just say, that if they smoked in a room that they were not supposed to , I hope that they have to pay the full cleaning charge to get the room back in pristine condition..........

O.K. Sorry about that.

My sister smoked on the balcony in her studio and at our 2 bedroom. Both accomodations were non-smoking.

We reserved but didn't get a smoking studio for her.

Disney told my sister that she could smoke on balconies, so she understood that she could smoke on the balcony in our room too.

This was all in April before Disney imposed the new policy. If my sister kept it to the balconies, Disney had no recourse because she did what they told her she could do. Disney did not charge us for the cleanup fee.

As a bwv owner, it ticks me off that somebody at the front desk enabled my sister to smoke on the balconies of both her non-smoking studio and my non-smoking 2 bedroom.

mitros
06-03-2007, 10:52 PM
O.K. Sorry about that.

My sister smoked on the balcony in her studio and at our 2 bedroom. Both accomodations were non-smoking.

We reserved but didn't get a smoking studio for her.

Disney told my sister that she could smoke on balconies, so she understood that she could smoke on the balcony in our room too.

This was all in April before Disney imposed the new policy. If my sister kept it to the balconies, Disney had no recourse because she did what they told her she could do. Disney did not charge us for the cleanup fee.

As a bwv owner, it ticks me off that somebody at the front desk enabled my sister to smoke on the balconies of both her non-smoking studio and my non-smoking 2 bedroom.

Gotcha! Much clearer now. :thumbsup2