PDA

View Full Version : Where to eat alone?

cinderkelli
05-01-2007, 03:22 PM
I am going to be eating dinner alone one night in the world. Where do y'all think there is a good place to eat by yourself? I will be around DTD or AKL or MK (including closeby resorts) later in the day so somewhere in those locations would be preferable. Thanks! popcorn::

fla4fun
05-01-2007, 05:21 PM
I do solo trips all the time, and I've never felt uncomfortable dining alone at any Disney restaurant. So I would just pick a restaurant that has a menu that appeals to you, make an ADR, and go. If you are in the MK, getting to any of the monorail resorts and back to the park for more fun is super simple.

One thing I like about Disney, they spread their smaller tables throughout the restaurants, so you have a choice about being in a corner or in the center of the room.

shaun&miranda
05-01-2007, 07:02 PM
Hi Cinderkelli
I guess it depends what kind of night you are planning for yourself? I would be tempted to get a California Grill ressie and treat myself, and just gaze at the lovely view for the whole time, with the kitchen to watch if I got bored!

Or maybe go somewhere really fun like Rainforest Cafe and watch the aquariums etc and enjoy the hustle and bustle going past you.

For what it's worth, Captain Jacks at Downtown had seats at the bar for diners that would be ideal for a solo diner, but I didn't really love my meal there, so I would probably go somewhere else.

Wherever you go, I hope you enjoy it!

Miranda

mommyseven
05-01-2007, 07:07 PM
The sky is the limit. You can eat anywhere and not feel uncomfortable. You'll be seated at a smaller table which is the same size table for two. There's no reason you should limit your choices because you are solo. I saw several solo diners at many of the restaurants we went to (The Brown Derby, Fulton's, Narcoosees, Artist Point, Kona Cafe, etc.). Find something that appeals to you and go for it. :thumbsup2

jcriket
05-01-2007, 07:09 PM
Nobody should eat along at disney..... Do a character meal!:thumbsup2

eva
05-01-2007, 07:24 PM
I would eat somewhere that has an open kitchen with a bar to sit at and eat. The chefs will normally take very good care of you and you will have something to watch during the meal. One good suggestion was already given, California Grill. And I believe that Jiko does too.

BillSears
05-01-2007, 07:35 PM
I'm with those who say "Eat anywhere you want." I'll be taking my first solo trip this month and I'll be eating at Jiko, California Grill, Bistro de Paris, Kimonos, Beirgarten, and The Plaza. But these were all chosen because I've never eaten at any of them before.

My advice is to pick a spot that others in your group doesn't like and you've always wanted to go to. Now would be a perfect time to check it out.

EpcotLove
05-01-2007, 07:50 PM
I suggest sci fi diner at MGM, the food is not the best for dinner, but it's a good themed place to eat alone... or pretend you are eating with another family in their car style seating, lol!

Eat where you want to eat!

Donald is #1
05-01-2007, 08:39 PM
I am in the eat anywhere you want crowd. For my solo trip, I will be eating at Boma, Jiko, Kona, Rose & Crown, Spoodles, Raglan Road, & Bistro De Paris. I chose most of these places because I have never eaten there before.

jcemom
05-01-2007, 09:44 PM
Can I tack on to your thread?

I booked the Spirit of Aloha for my mom, solo. Has anyone here done it solo before? Will she feel terribly out of place?

Simba's Mom
05-01-2007, 10:08 PM
In the DTD, AKL, or MK area, I'd suggest Jiko's at AKL and request the bar at the open kitchen. I've taken lots of solo trips and eaten solo at CG, Cindy's. CP, and LTT in those areas. The suggestion of doing a character meal is seriously a very good one. It took me about 8 solo trips to work up the nerve to do a character meal solo. Once I did, I realized what a great meal choice for a solo. Watching the characters interacting with the kids is such fun the time really goes by fast, and you're never bored with lots to watch. And if you're afraid you'll feel self-conscious all alone, don't worry. No one's looking at you-all they're doing, craning their neck looking around like that, is looking for Mickey (or Tigger or Chip&Dale or whichever character's there). And don't forget to visit the adults and solos board. There are lots of people there who've taken, or are thinking of taking, a solo trip.

aubriee
05-02-2007, 01:44 AM
I'll be there next week solo and am dining at:

Le Cellier, Rose & Crown, Spoodles, Cape May, Wolfgang Pucks, Turf Club, LTT, Konas, Chef's de France, and Jikos. The one I'm looking forward to the most is Jikos.

If I were you I'd just look at the menus on All Ears and maybe try a place I'd never tried before ( a place my family wouldn't try). Maybe try Wolfgang Pucks or Raglin Road at DTD, Jikos at AKL, and Konas or 'Ohana while you're in the MK area.

silverarrowknits
05-02-2007, 01:59 AM
I am taking two solo trips soon and I am eating at Biergaarten, Sci-Fi Drive-In, LTT, Boma, and the Crystal Palace. My best recommendation is to pick a restaurant that looks yummy to you.

newholidayx2
05-02-2007, 06:11 AM
Just returned this past Fri night from my first completely solo 8 day WDW vacation! it was wonderful
I ate TS at Liberty Tree, San Angel, Rose & Crown, LeCellier, Prime Time, Coral Reef

boomhauer
05-02-2007, 07:55 AM
Planet Hollywood and Rainforest Cafe are both good bets. They have bars you can eat at. Perfect for eating alone.

suzimar57
05-02-2007, 07:56 AM
on my solo trips, i've eaten alone at brown derby, sci-fi, afternoon tea at the GF and liberty tree tavern - and would do so again! :)

ModestMouse
05-02-2007, 09:41 AM
Can I tack on to your thread?

I booked the Spirit of Aloha for my mom, solo. Has anyone here done it solo before? Will she feel terribly out of place?

I may be wrong, but just a point to think about: The Luau is a lot of fun and I'm sure your mom will enjoy it. The *only* thing that might make her feel out of place is that they bring each group that's booked together family-style plates of food to share (rice, ribs, chicken, etc.) So if you have two families at one long table, they'll bring two "sets" of food.Because they will keep bringing food as you eat it, I don't know that they calculate or not the size of your party in bringing the initial dishes. (At our long table last year, we had a party of seven, and right next to us a party of four.) So it's possible that she might have a ton of food right in front of her, which might make her self-conscious. Or, her being alone, they would hopefully bring her a more moderate amount. (That would seem sensible.) You might call Disney Dining and check if you're really worried. My guess is that the CMs there will take wonderful care of your mom!

It's a very friendly atmosphere, lots of fun, and with the group seating and lively atmosphere I sure she'll have a great time.

cinderkelli
05-02-2007, 11:49 AM
Well I have definitely always wanted to try California Grill. Do they have a bar I could sit at? It isn't really that I feel conspicuous eating alone. More like I know that my waiter is wishing he had more people at his table for a bigger tips. :) Eating at a bar would be perfect.

madalex
05-02-2007, 12:25 PM
Just returned from a solo trip - I ate at Jiko, Citrico's, bluezoo and Artist Point. I got great tables at each place and the waitstaff was wonderful. I never felt uncomfortable at all. You can eat anywhere and you will be fine.

Simba's Mom
05-02-2007, 04:59 PM
Well I have definitely always wanted to try California Grill. Do they have a bar I could sit at? It isn't really that I feel conspicuous eating alone. More like I know that my waiter is wishing he had more people at his table for a bigger tips. :) Eating at a bar would be perfect.
Yes, I think they have a bar at California Grill, but when I ate there solo last year, they put me at a nice window table (actually I sat on the "couch" side of the table)-very restful. And my server was such a doll-whenever he came over, he'd sit down next to me to talk. I think the bar would be louder and busier.

bibbity bobbity boo
05-02-2007, 05:37 PM
If it were me I would sit down with a nice big fat sundae at Ghiardellis in DTD and be QUITE pleased with myself. :rotfl:
http://www.allearsnet.com/menu/menu_gh.htm

Have fun wherever you go :)

dahirsh
05-02-2007, 06:47 PM
My advice is to pick a spot that others in your group doesn't like and you've always wanted to go to. Now would be a perfect time to check it out.

Excellent advice.

I'm planning my third solo trip now and make my decision based on menu.