PDA

View Full Version : Which should I keep and which should I add??

mrsnj91
04-30-2007, 11:33 PM
Just looked at some places and did Advanced Seating (well for those that needed it) but I am unsure on a few and want to add Whispering Canyon ( have to call tom. to book that as I ran out of time on the phone)

Hoop Dee Doo Review
50's Prime Time for Lunch and dinner
Rainforest Cafe ( this one I am unsure of)
Liberty Tree
Trails End Buffeteria
Nine Dragons (this one I am unsure of too)
Hollywood and Vine breakfast buffet
Tony's Town Tavern
Beaches and Cream
Toy Story Pizza Planet

We deal with a wheat allergy so I have had to pick carefully. Is there any TO DIE FOR :love: places I am missing? Should any of these receive the boot? :scared: And what walk up lunch places should I look into??

Scutapipig
05-01-2007, 07:54 AM
Here's my opinion, but it ultimately depends on your dining style.

My first suggestion would be to do away with one of your 50's Prime Time ADR's, unless it's your very favorite place to eat at Disney and you can't get enough of it. Noticing the ages of your children, you may want to look at Sci-Fi. The food is ok, but the atmosphere is fun for everyone.

I would take Whispering Canyon Cafe over Trails End Buffeteria since the WCC skillet has the same type of food as Trails End, and the antics are fun. If you want a quieter meal, then Trails End may be the better option.

That being said, the Hoop Dee Doo review's menu is also similar to the WCC's skillet, but I think everyone needs to see Hoop Dee Doo at least once, so I would keep that one.

It also looks as though you are planning on being in the Studios area from the choices you've made, so be sure to look at the Boardwalk, Beach Club, Yacht Club, and Swan/Dolphin for dining places. They are a short walk or boat launch from the Studios.

I just noticed you'll be at POR in August too! Don't rule out Boatwright's for a nice relaxed meal at the resort.

mrsnj91
05-01-2007, 09:04 AM
Well I picked more for the fare and experience rather than the park. Due to the food allergies and picky eaters, I am trying to get into places that serve foods that are safe and familar. KWIM? And since we are planning 3 months ahead on free dining, I wanted to get into for seating fast so I have been focusing on the resturants and now getting ready to look into the parks. Butt backwards I am sure you are thinking! LOL! Like I looked into the resturants at Epcot and AK and there really wasn't much there for me to pick from. Either that or I am missing some gems. Hence my post!!:lmao: So........looking very little at the parks as of yet and judging from what I have read and the resturants offered...I think we will be focusing on the Magic Kingdom and MGM. Although I want to make a trip to Animal Kingdom at some point. I wasn't too thrilled with the Nine Dragons menu once I really went over it and then I came on here late last night and saw the reviews. So I am going to remove that. I checked out some posts about Sci-Fi and was told that the children should be able to sit and enjoy old sci fi movies. Not sure that is a good option for Delaney (the 2 year old). What do you think???? I wouldn't want to freak her out with some giant blob coming at her on the screen!:eek: :rotfl: Never having been there I don't know.

I had the Boatwright down too on my list here too. Do I make reservations there too?? Is it good?

I printed off the list of resturants last night from here and there seem to be a ton of places that few mention. We tend to not eat fancy (more just plain diner fare....we are from Jersey! LOL)and the kids would be happy with pizza and chicken fingers all the time but DH and I like more meat and potatos! LOL! So are there any gems out there I should add that I haven't looked into.
Is one character breakfast enough. We aren't big breakfast people but I had to do the Playhouse Disney for Delaney. I dont' think the older kids could care less if Mickey comes up to their table or not so I stayed away from most of those. The Whispering Canyon sounds like fun...I am going to try and push for that today.

LISAMWDW
05-01-2007, 09:11 AM
I wouldn't do 50's twice. Sci Fi is also great theming! Also, I wouldn't do Nine Dragons, I would do Le Cellier, Coral Reef, Biergarten or Rose & Crown.

mrsnj91
05-01-2007, 09:43 AM
Ok maybe it might be better to break it down like this.....

Day 1- arrival late
Dinner- Pizza Planet

Day 2-MAGIC KINGDOM -
Lunch-
Dinner- Tony's Town Tavern at 5:15pm

Day 3-
Lunch-??
Dinner-??______________ (Maybe Beaches and Cream??)

Day 4- Maybe Epcot??
Breakfast- Hollywood and Vine at 8:40
Lunch-
Dinner- Nine Dragons at 6:30 (but I am going to replace this)

Day 5-Magic Kingdom
Lunch- Trails End Buffeteria at noon
Dinner- Liberty Tree at 8:10

Day 6-MGM
Lunch-
Dinner- 50's Primetime at 4pm

Day 7- Animal Kingdom
Lunch-
Dinner- Rainforest Cafe??

Day 8- MGM and Magic Kingdom
Lunch- 50's primetime 12:15 (might change this)
Dinner- Hoop Dee Doo Review at 5pm

Day 9- Early Departure
Breakfast-____________

Does that make it easier??
I def. want to add in Whispering Canyon. What should I keep and add? What about lunches????

Scutapipig
05-01-2007, 10:24 AM
Thanks for adding some info! It looks like you may be doing park hopping on some days that would only involve a meal and not the actual park. If you could tweak that a bit, you would save time and the stress of running from park to park.

When I plan, I usually pick which park I will be in on what day, and once that is established, I then pick what TS restaurants I want to try in or near that park. After those are set up, then I fill in with the CS restaurants for the other meals.

I added what I think may work better in parenthesis.

Ok maybe it might be better to break it down like this.....

Day 1- arrival late
Dinner- Pizza Planet
(With the late arrival, it may be best to do CS at POR)

Day 2-MAGIC KINGDOM -
Lunch-
Dinner- Tony's Town Tavern at 5:15pm
(or possibly Crystal Palace)

Day 3-
Lunch-??
Dinner-??______________

Day 4- Maybe Epcot??
Breakfast- Hollywood and Vine at 8:40
(This one is at Studios and if planning on Epcot this day, you may want to change this breakfast to Day 8 so you don't lose time hopping.)
Lunch-
Dinner- Nine Dragons at 6:30
(I would go with LeCellier, Teppanyaki, Garden Grill, or Coral Reef for the theming for the kids)

Day 5-Magic Kingdom
Lunch- Trails End Buffeteria at noon (Yup! Or WCC)
Dinner- Liberty Tree at 8:10 (Yup!)

Day 6-MGM
Lunch -
Dinner- 50's Primetime at 4pm (Yup!)

Day 7- Animal Kingdom
Lunch-
Dinner- Rainforest Cafe?? (Yup!....but I don't believe it is on the free dining program.)

Day 8- MGM and Magic Kingdom
Lunch- 50's primetime 12:15
(I would do the Hollywood and Vine breakfast this day since you'll be doing Hoop Dee Doo at 5 pm. Lunch may be too close to the 5pm show for eating.)
Dinner- Hoop Dee Doo Review at 5pm

Day 9- Early Departure
Breakfast-____________ (POR Food Court)

Does that make it easier??
I def. want to add in Whispering Canyon. What should I keep and add? What about lunches????

Keep an eye on the number of TS ADR's you are making since it looks like you are there for an 8 night stay, and based on the list above, you have 8 TS restaurants chosen. (Hoop Dee Doo is 2 TS credits.)

We really liked Boatwrights, but that was 12 years ago. It is always crowded when we stayed at POR and its been getting good reviews. We're having dinner there our last night this coming August.

As for the Sci-Fi, I think you're 2 year old would be fine. It's dark, but its not intimidating to walk into and the movies shown are extremely cheesy and not frightening at all.

There. I either helped or confused you even worse! I hope I helped! LOL

mrsnj91
05-01-2007, 10:51 AM
Awesome! Thanks!

I just clicked from the dining section on here and was looking at Garden Grill, Biergarten or just back to the hotel resturant on Day 4. What about Riverside Mill at the hotel? Is that good?? They are open till midnight and might be a good stop on our arrival.

That is a good suggestion on the Hoop Dee Doo. I wasn't happy with the times either. Now to hope there is an opening! And no, Rainforest is not on the plan and yes, I know I am going to go over on the table service. Fun part about allergies and one of the reasons I wasn't sure if the dining would be a good option. BUT it is free and if I end up paying out of pocket a bit, it isn't going to hurt!!!:lmao: There isn't a ton of counter service options for Delaney. I am now praying the hotdogs are wheat free!!!!!:scared: Hot dogs and fries and I will be ok with her! LOL!

So.....let me work on this and try and move some things around.....

Scutapipig
05-01-2007, 12:02 PM
Before I forget to mention this, when you're making your ADR's, be sure to mention the allergy. Disney can make accommodations at the TS meals for special dietary needs and I believe that I've read that the chef's will often stop by the table to discuss the needs with you.

Let's see...Riverside Mill was just renovated and reopened. The food last year wasn't too bad. It depends on what you order and what changes they have made to the menu, but overall, I would say they had some pretty good meals. Of course, anything I'm not cooking or cleaning up after is a good meal. LOL

So, my inquiring mind needs to know...were you really Mrs. NJ in 1991?

Oh! And of course, seeing that you are a new poster, the official WELCOME to the DIS!

mrsnj91
05-01-2007, 12:46 PM
To answer your question....yes! Actually '92 but DH got the wrong date when he picked my name and I just kept it. LOL! And thanks for the welcome. I was a bit overwhelmed when I first started all this but this board has been such a BIG help!:woohoo:

OK how is this plan?? I still have to call and will probably be thrown a wrench but I only had one problem yesterday booking so keeping fingers crossed. What do you guys think? This better.............
-----------------
Sunday 26th (arrival)
D- Riverside Mill

Monday 27th- Magic Kingdom
B-Crystal Palace breakfast at 9:15am

L-

D- Tony’s Town Tavern @ Magic Kingdom @ 6:20pm

Tuesday 28th- Animal Kingdom/MGM
B-
L- Resturantosaurus @ Animal Kingdom (CS)

D- Pizza Planet @ MGM (CS)

Wednesday 29th - MGM
B-Hollywood & Vine Playhouse Disney Breakfast Buffet @ Magic Kingdom at 9:20am

L-

D- 50’s Prime Time @ 4:20pm

Thursday 30th- Magic Kingdom
B-

L- Cosmic Rays Starlight Cafe

D- Liberty Tree @ Magic Kingdom at 8:15pm

Friday 31st- Downtown Disney
B-

L-Earl of Sandwiches @ Downtown (CS)

D- Whispering Canyon @ Fort Wilderness at 8:30pm

Saturday 1st- Animal Kingdom
B-Donald's Breakfastosaurus at 9am

L-

D- Rainforest Café @ Animal Kingdom (no reservations & not on plan)

Sunday 2nd-- Epcot
B- (counter service)

L-

D- Hoop Dee Doo Review at 7:15pm @ FW

Monday 3rd (departure)
B- Riverside Mill 6am?

(9) Table service (one meal over)
(7) Counter services (3 to spare)
(1) Off plan dining

THAT BETTER???

mrsnj91
05-01-2007, 12:59 PM
That schedule will put us exact number for table service plan and Rainforest will be out of pocket.

I was looking at Beaches and Cream and Sci-fi....would you change one of the above for these or keep as is??

Scutapipig
05-01-2007, 02:25 PM
That is so neat! You must be one heck of a Mrs....and a mom! Congratulations!!

I think based on what you've shared and where you want to eat, you have a pretty good plan set up.

Just a note that you are showing the Hollywood and Vine at Magic Kingdom. It is actually at MGM and just in case it isn't a typo, I wouldn't want you running to Magic Kingdom and not finding it there.

Sci-Fi is a neat atmosphere, but since you had 50's Prime Time listed originally, I would stick with that one for this trip.

Beaches and Cream I've never been to, but have always wanted to try it. It's close by Epcot, so maybe head over there on your Epcot day and maybe just get ice cream "to go"?

We actually plan on eating at Mara during this trip, too.

And as always, what you don't do this time around, only means you can plan another trip. That's never a bad thing!

Karen

mrsnj91
05-01-2007, 02:39 PM
CONFIRMED :mickeyjum CONFIRMED :mickeyjum CONFIRMED:mickeyjum !!!! WHOOPPIE!!! I just revised the list above in my last post. And I got everything I needed!!:woohoo:

Thanks soooooooooo much!!! I couldn't have done that without you all! Man it was worse than doing homework in highschool!:lmao: AND I was able to move things around and keep my TS in count. Only have one day of out of pocket for Rainforest!

LISAMWDW
05-01-2007, 02:48 PM
Tell us what you decided! Can't wait to hear!

mrsnj91
05-01-2007, 03:00 PM
Sunday 26th (arrival)
D- Riverside Mill

Monday 27th- Magic Kingdom
B-Crystal Palace breakfast at 9:15am

L-

D- Tony’s Town Tavern @ Magic Kingdom @ 6:20pm

Tuesday 28th- Animal Kingdom/MGM
B-
L- Resturantosaurus @ Animal Kingdom (CS)

D- Pizza Planet @ MGM (CS)

Wednesday 29th - MGM
B-Hollywood & Vine Playhouse Disney Breakfast Buffet at 9:20am

L-

D- 50’s Prime Time @ 4:20pm

Thursday 30th- Magic Kingdom
B-

L- Cosmic Rays Starlight Cafe

D- Liberty Tree @ Magic Kingdom at 8:15pm

Friday 31st- Downtown Disney
B-

L-Earl of Sandwiches @ Downtown (CS)

D- Whispering Canyon @ Fort Wilderness at 8:30pm

Saturday 1st- Animal Kingdom
B-Donald's Breakfastosaurus at 9am

L-

D- Rainforest Café @ Animal Kingdom (no reservations & not on plan)

Sunday 2nd-- Epcot
B- (counter service)

L-

D- Hoop Dee Doo Review at 7:15pm @ FW

Monday 3rd (departure)
B- Riverside Mill 6am?

(9) Table service
(7) Counter services
(1) Off plan dining

Scutapipig
05-01-2007, 03:30 PM
Fabulous!

There are two things I noticed. You have Whispering Canyon listed at Fort Wilderness. Whispering Canyon is at the Wilderness Lodge and Trails End is at Fort Wilderness. I know you talked of both restaurants and I just don't want you going to the wrong place, so maybe confirm which ADR you made and where its located?

The other thing I noticed is that you have Donald's Breakfastosaurus listed. The Restaurantosaurus is a counter service credit EXCEPT for Donald's Breakfastosaurus. For Donald's breakfast, it becomes a table service since its a character meal. With that included, your table service count comes in at nine.

A suggestion would be to pay out of pocket for one of the TS meals you have booked, or cancel one of the TS restaurants to keep it at 8 TS credits.

The options are endless (as you've probably figured out already).

mrsnj91
05-01-2007, 03:42 PM
Yeah I just picked up on the Whispering Canyon when I was doing my notes. And I am staying for 9 days. Sunday to the following Monday.

Scutapipig
05-01-2007, 03:54 PM
If you're sick of me, please tell me to mind my own business, but I think you're off by one TS.

The dining plan credits are one snack, one CS, and one TS for each night you are staying. If you are staying Sunday through the following Monday, I come up with 8 TS.

Staying Sunday night, TS credit #1
Staying Monday night, TS credit #2
Staying Tuesday night, TS credit #3
Staying Wednesday night, TS credit #4
Staying Thursday night, TS credit #5
Staying Friday night, TS credit #6
Staying Saturday night, TS credit #7
Staying Sunday night, TS credit #8
Departing on Monday, so no dining credits given

mrsnj91
05-01-2007, 08:25 PM
Ahhh see I went by days not nights. If your 100% sure it isn't such a biggie. I will either cancel one of the TS's or keep them as is and pay out of pocket. Will talk with DH when he gets home. I found a few decent CS's so I might be able to move something. Which would YOU move!?:rolleyes:

And no I don't mind. I would rather know now that find out later. LOL!

mrsnj91
05-01-2007, 08:28 PM
Just thinking...if that is the case then wouldn't the 9 day thing effect ALL the meals (TS, CS, Snacks)? Would I be getting anything on that last day or no??

Scutapipig
05-02-2007, 06:17 AM
Yes, you would get 1 snack, 1 CS, and one TS for each night of your stay, making a total of 8 snack/CS/TS per person for your stay. You would not be receiving any credits for the 9th day of your stay, but chances are, you may have leftover CS or snack credits that will get you breakfast that morning. The portions served for the meals can be huge at times, and by the end of the week, we discovered that we had a few times that we just really weren't hungry.

My recommendation would be to use a few of your snack credits for milk and a box of doughnuts (both can be picked up at the Riverside Mill and/or gift shop) and have those in your room for breakfast since you are departing so early.

Me, personally, if I were to cancel any of the TS, I would cancel Donald's Breakfastosaurus, unless the character breakfast is a big deal to the family. However, I only say this because we're extremely partial to the scrambled egg platter at Tusker House (love those 'taters!) and we love the quietness there at breakfast time. We went and picked up fastpasses to the Safari that morning, went and had breakfast, and then returned for our fastpass time for the Safari. It worked out extremely well for us. (But we didn't do Expedition Everest and that may be the other fastpass you would want to consider.)

I actually think you chose some really neat places that will be fun for your family and that you have them set up really well. I'm a bit fanatical when it comes to planning (have you noticed?), so I drive my husband absolutely nuts before our trips and then once we get there, he's thrilled that we just show up and he doesn't have to think.

mrsnj91
05-02-2007, 06:30 AM
I tend to do that too but I don't discuss with my husband. He just goes along for the ride!:lmao: I have it all printed out (with copies) day by day and will put it all in a packet to go. So far I have visited the resort forum...done. Now here for resturants....done (well almost). Next. Off to rides and amusements!:rotfl: Maybe I need help!? LOL! Well at least I am not alone!;)

So, thanks for the heads up or I wouldn't have been very happy on my last day! LOL!

I was thinking Donalds too. Tusker is good and CS? There doesn't seem to be much in Animal Kingdom for eating. Or maybe it is just me and my picky family. Will go check it out. So you would rec. Tusker over Mara?

Scutapipig
05-02-2007, 06:54 AM
Yup. At AK, Tusker House is CS and has breakfast, lunch and dinner. Flame Tree BBQ is CS and is open for lunch and dinner.

I've never eaten at Mara, so I can't say if Tusker or Mara is better. Hopefully someone who has eaten at both can give you some insight to that question.

mrsnj91
05-02-2007, 07:02 AM
Yippie! Thanks!

Now how do I cancel the reservation? When I went on yesterday to make ADR changes the guy said he wouldn't be able to add on and take off reservations. I had to delete all my previous reservations and start over! I don't want to lose the rest and do that all again. Can I just call them from the resort to cancel the reservation?

jimmytammy
05-02-2007, 07:10 AM
Just looked at some places and did Advanced Seating (well for those that needed it) but I am unsure on a few and want to add Whispering Canyon ( have to call tom. to book that as I ran out of time on the phone)

Hoop Dee Doo Review
50's Prime Time for Lunch and dinner
Rainforest Cafe ( this one I am unsure of)
Liberty Tree
Trails End Buffeteria
Nine Dragons (this one I am unsure of too)
Hollywood and Vine breakfast buffet
Tony's Town Tavern
Beaches and Cream
Toy Story Pizza Planet

We deal with a wheat allergy so I have had to pick carefully. Is there any TO DIE FOR :love: places I am missing? Should any of these receive the boot? :scared: And what walk up lunch places should I look into??
We have never done Hoop but understand it to be a blast. 50s is one of our must dos. Rainforest, we arent crazy about. I would lean towards a Disney restaurant and skip RC. LT is very good. Trails is good, not terribly expensive, but feel breakfast is the best. Nine Dragons has become a must do for us. Honey Sesame chicken and General Tsos chicken are very tasty.

H and V , never been, understand its subpar buffet. Tonys, stick with spagehetti and you will be OK. Beaches, only Ice Cream for us, never tried other food. Toy story, never been but have friends that eat every trip.

As for WCC, try dinner, but keep it further from trip away from Hoop, as food may be somewhat similar. Its a hoot to eat there.

Try Flame Tree BBQ at AK, Pecos Bills at MK. These are both good counter meals.

Le Cellier and Biergarten are a couple to consider. Also Ohana and Boma.

Scutapipig
05-02-2007, 07:11 AM
You can add and change as much as you want. Call the dining number again and if someone gives you a hard time, hang up and try again. There are really nice CM's out there who are willing to work with you.

When you call, have your confirmation number (or telephone number) ready and tell them you wish to cancel an ADR. It should be quick and painless and there should be no reason to even look at the other ADR's.

I called last week and added Yacht Club Galley and cancelled Boma. I also added Boatwright's. No problem whatsoever.

LISAMWDW
05-02-2007, 08:19 AM
Is it 1 or 2 snacks per night? I remember it being 2. Has it changed?

Also, we always share counter service meals as they are so largely proportioned. This leaves us with meals for our last day.

Scutapipig
05-02-2007, 08:29 AM
It's one snack credit per night, per person.