PDA

View Full Version : Bad news


Koroshiya-Ichi
04-23-2007, 06:42 PM
My mother and I were supposed to be going to Disney World on May 17th, but I don't know if that's possible anymore.

She had surgery last week that was supposed to be for an ovarian cyst, but it turned out to be her appendix that was the real problem. Today at her follow-up appointment the doctor told her she has cancer. They aren't sure where it is in her body, so she has to go in for more tests and probably more surgery.

I was so hoping the two of us could go to WDW, it's our favorite place and it's always such a great experience for us. We're hoping she can feel better in time to go still, but it's looking more and more doubtful. Please send us some good thoughts/prayers/whatever you can.

CarolAnnC
04-23-2007, 10:06 PM
This is a tough one. Last summer I went ahead and traveled to WDW when I really should have gone into the hospital instead. Unknowingly, I had a severe abdominal infection.

I got around the parks ok, renting an ECV most of the time. I was very comfortable relaxing poolside at the resort and enjoying the hot tubs.

But, when I got back home, I spent the next 5 weeks hospitalized and had a surgery that became more difficult since I waited so long to go in.

So, part of me is very glad I went ahead with the trip. Another part of me thinks I was foolish in delaying medical treatment.

Very tough when one is such a Disney lover. I truly hope your mom is well enough to make the trip. Perhaps she can recover enough to travel by then and continue the treatment for identifying the cancer after returning. Disney can be such a wonderful place to soothe one's soul and enjoy life.

I will keep your mom in my prayers...

mommasita
04-23-2007, 10:13 PM
I am sorry to read this.

Hoping that it is confined, and perhaps easy to operate on..

Best wishes, and plenty of prayers here.:grouphug:

Christine
04-24-2007, 07:44 AM
I think a lot of it is going to depend on what type of cancer your mom has, how aggressive it is, etc. Sometimes treatments can be easily delayed--I know in my type of cancer (thyroid) waiting a few weeks or months is no big deal. In other cancers, timing is a HUGE factor in treatment outcomes.

I think you will need more information from your mother's doctor before you can make the decision.:grouphug:

Pea-n-Me
04-24-2007, 09:26 AM
I was diagnosed with cancer 12 days before our first Disney cruise, a trip we'd been looking forward to for a long time, our twins would be turning 6 on the ship. I assumed I'd have to cancel, but realized before I started treatment there were doctors to see for appts and second opinions, tests to run, reading to do and decisions to make, which takes time. All of my doctors said to go, I had a long year ahead of me. So I did.

Your mom will also need to see docs, have tests, make decisions, etc. I imagine that will bring her up to the time of the trip. A week or so at that point probably will not make a big difference, though that will have to be determined by her specialists. Then it's up to her what she wants to do. If things are looking terminal (I sure hope not) then she might just want to go and have a good time. If things are going to be difficult but survival odds are good, then she may just want to wait and go afterward. She could be like me and do a trip before and afterward!! :idea:

The only thing about going before is it's not as pleasant as it normally would be since there's so much fear and worry involved. And some people just want the cancer "out" right away. See how it goes, see what the docs recommend, see how she feels about it, and don't cancel the reservation yet. You can always "move back" your reservation without cancelling, too, so you won't lose any money. Or is moving up an option? Things to think about.

Good luck, will keep your mom in my prayers. :grouphug:

Koroshiya-Ichi
04-24-2007, 02:25 PM
Thank you all, it so nice to have support. Pea-n-Me, that's some good advice. So far we haven't moved the trip date, but we'll see how she feels after next week. I'll post here if there is any news. Thanks again everyone, this means a lot to me.

Mackey Mouse
04-25-2007, 05:29 AM
Just wanted to say here I would wait and cancel at the last possible moment without losing any money to see if she is well enough to go. As far as the Cancer is concerned, I would listen to the advice of my doctors and if postponing treatment for a trip for some magic will not hinder her getting well, I would go. If the doctors feel that they should immediately start treatment as it is imperative to get going, then I would cancel with the idea that when she is well, you both can go.

My husband has cancer and when we have breaks of good health, we head to WDW for the magic he needs to get through the next round of whatever is on the agenda.

Take care of yourself and please know we are here for you.

Koroshiya-Ichi
05-06-2007, 06:01 AM
Back with an update. Though the doctors still aren't completely positive, they're pretty sure she has ovarian cancer. Thankfully they do not think it is advanced, and mom is going to get a hysterectomy and then undergo chemotherapy, which will probably get it all out. I am so relieved.

We ARE going to Disney, and she'll get the surgery when we come back. She's been tired lately, but we know this trip will be good for both of us, since we can take things slow and rest whenever she needs to.

Mackey Mouse
05-06-2007, 07:23 AM
Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!! this will be a shot of magic in the arm to help you all get through the surgery and chemotherapy......just take it easy, no commando style for her right now, and if she needs a wheelchair I would get one if she is that tired..

When I said that my DH and I would go when he needed the boost, we would just check in to our fave resort and take it easy.. no rushing about, maybe go out a little in the morning, then head back for a nap if he needed it....we just did a snails pace for him as he was in the midst of chemotherapy and this was a week off from all that.

She will let you know what pace she will need and I know you two will make some beautiful memories for her to carry with her for the upcoming battle..

Take care.. and do keep us in the loop....

safetymom
05-06-2007, 11:19 AM
I will keep you both in my prayers. It sounds like she is going to have a rough time so a trip to Disney may be wonderful for her.