PDA

View Full Version : New Disney park in Branson?

Dis13
04-22-2007, 06:49 AM
Surprised no one has posted this yet. Very interesting... but Branson????????
Has anyone ever been?

From the News-Leader, Springfield, MO:

Disney rumor reignited

Newton County officials told of possible theme park plans.

Kathryn Buckstaff
News-Leader

A request for road improvements for a $1.1 billion theme park in Newton County has led to new speculation about the Walt Disney Co.'s interest in southwest Missouri.

Rumors that a Disney attraction was coming to Branson were rampant in the mid-1990s. Now, Newton County Commissioners are investigating whether Disney could be linked to a theme park proposal made earlier this month.

Jerry Carter, Newton County Presiding Commissioner, said the notion arose after Todd Marshall, who said he represented a Springfield company called ARM Risk, attended the April 12 commissioners' meeting. Carter asked about changes on county roads leading to the location the company is considering for a theme park.

A list of specifications Marshall gave the commissioners included first-phase construction costs of $1.1 billion, land purchases of 1,000 acres with the park taking 100 acres, six hotels, 95 shops, 27 rides, 12 stages and 18 restaurants.

"We want to be cautious and careful," Carter said. "We live in an opportunistic world and sometimes things come along we can't even conceive of."

A possible Disney connection was raised when commissioners checked the company owners. On a form called "Registration of Fictitious Name" filed with the Missouri Secretary of State's office in March for ARM Risk, three owners are listed. Corporations routinely file such forms.

The owners are Michael Hill of Wilmington, Del.; Robert Brown, who lists his address as 500 South Buena Vista St., Burbank, Calif.; and Jason Johnson, who lists his address as Corporate Office, Lake Buena Vista, Fla.

On the Internet, commissioners found that the Burbank address is corporate headquarters of the Walt Disney Co. Lake Buena Vista, Fla., is headquarters of Walt Disney World Resort.

Officials at Disney headquarters in Burbank said the company would not comment on the matter.

The secretary of state's office has only an administrative role in filing business registrations, said communications assistant Ryan Hobart.

When someone signs the registration, he or she is legally bound to give correct information, Hobart said.

ARM Risk's address is listed as 1926 S. Glenstone Ave., Suite 353, Springfield, on the registration.

Todd Marshall could not be reached for comment. No phone listing could be obtained for ARM Risk.

Carter, who is 71, is a Newton County native. He said that such a project would forever change the county. The area where the company is seeking to buy land is mostly small acreage and some farms of 60 to 100 acres, Carter said. It is in the southwest quadrant of the junction of U.S. 71 and Interstate 44.

Some residents would be interested in the project, and some wouldn't, he predicted.

"We're right between two of the largest growth areas in southwest Missouri and northwest Arkansas, so we are becoming accustomed to shock here," Carter said. Just to the south is the Bentonville area and to the north is Joplin.

"It'll never be what it used to be."

In Branson, Herschend Family Entertainment spokes- woman Lisa Rau said they had not heard of the plans. The company owns the Silver Dollar City and Celebration City theme parks and other attractions.

Ross Summers, director of the Branson Lakes/Area Chamber of Commerce, said he also had heard of no such plans by Disney.

"These Disney rumors have floated around here for as long as I can remember," Summers said.

Developer Glenn Patch heard lots of Disney rumors after he purchased 7,000 acres of land just south of Hollister in the early '90s. His land is now the site of two golf courses, upscale homes and a commercial airport in development.

"When I was first coming here, I thought about painting a pair of black ears on my plane just for the fun of it," Patch said.

OKW Lover
04-22-2007, 08:13 AM
We had a similar rumor posted about a week ago for a place in Tenn. I seriously doubt this will happen. There are lots of these rumors speculating about various places around the country. I suspect most are wishful thinking, with a dash of land speculators thrown in.

Microcell
04-22-2007, 08:26 AM
MY DH called and told me that! I guess I will stay in Kansas City if there is a park 4 hours away from us! :banana: :banana:

The winters should be interesting there though!

DancingBear
04-22-2007, 08:27 AM
The filing thing is interesting (and true, BTW). If this really is Disney, seems like pretty sloppy work if you're trying to keep something secret. If it isn't Disney, the filing could be a pretty clever piece of fraud--file something, allow it to be "discovered," and then cash in on the sale of some adjoining property that becomes the subject of related land speculation.

Microcell
04-22-2007, 08:36 AM
I wonder if the acrage sizes are the same for Hong Kong Disney, Paris Disney etc...

That is a hilly area there and lots of work to be done to level it out enough to build a large scale park. I just don't know that 100 acres for the park alone is big enough for a Disney park.

DancingBear
04-22-2007, 08:41 AM
Magic Kingdom is about 100 acres.

OKW Lover
04-22-2007, 08:42 AM
I wonder if the acrage sizes are the same for Hong Kong Disney, Paris Disney etc...

That is a hilly area there and lots of work to be done to level it out enough to build a large scale park. I just don't know that 100 acres for the park alone is big enough for a Disney park.

Good point. The MK alone at WDW is just under 100 acres if I recall correctly.

mommeoftwin
04-22-2007, 10:15 AM
I just heard on our local news that Disney may be building a new park in Branson Mo. They said it would include a theme park, 27 rides, 6 stage shows, 18 restaurants and 6 hotels. PLEASE LET THIS BE TRUE!!!!!!

perd
04-22-2007, 10:28 AM
I live in Kansas City and the local news is reporting that Disney bought 1000 acres near Branson and that Branson has requested money for road construction into and out of a park that will include rides, restaurants and hotels. Disney is not commenting. Hmmm....Apparently a Springfield, Missouri contractor is involved.

I looked on the news website of the news station I keep hearing it on (KCTV5.com) so I could link a story here, but I can't find a story. But I have heard it twice now on the news, last night and this morning.

disneyjunebug
04-22-2007, 10:41 AM
It might be...

I know that several years ago (I can't remember how many, but I know it was more than 10) Disney had plans on building "mini" parks around different parts of the country at already established tourist areas. The only definite plans that were announced were for a mini-park near Manasas, VA, but those were scrapped when there was a public outcry about commercializing the historic area.

I had heard through several sources (both in Disney and in local government) that Disney had bought about 1000-1500 acres around Gatlinburg to build one of the "mini" parks, with a theme of Appalachia, etc. Again, these rumors there were initially started over 10 years ago, but they continue even today. It would definitely give Dollywood a run for the money!

OKW Lover
04-22-2007, 10:43 AM
There is a similar thread running here:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1429597

Lots of wishfull thinking.

MJMcBride
04-22-2007, 10:48 AM
These rumors pop up all the time. Disney has reportedly bought property in Texas about 8000 times. I'll believe it when Disney has the press conference

MJMcBride
04-22-2007, 10:51 AM
i believe it when Disney makes it official. Disney would own the actual state of texas if you believed every rumor that bought property there.

perd
04-22-2007, 10:55 AM
These rumors pop up all the time. Disney has reportedly bought property in Texas about 8000 times. I'll believe it when Disney has the press conference

I found two articles online:

http://www.neoshodailynews.com/articles/2007/04/19/news/01fun.txt

http://www.news-leader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070421/NEWS02/704210360/1007/NEWS01

The second link I can't get to come up now. I wonder if everyone is clicking on it and the server is overloaded?

Dancemom
04-22-2007, 10:57 AM
I live in the St. Louis area and 2 of our news stations are reporting this also.
Disney is not commenting. This rumour has been floating around for quite awhile but this is the first time the news has picked it up.

Cheryl

happygirl
04-22-2007, 10:57 AM
I live in Branson, and I havn't heard anything lol

If they did buy land my guess it would be some sort of hotel

perd
04-22-2007, 10:58 AM
I live in Branson, and I havn't heard anything lol

If they did buy land my guess it would be some sort of hotel

The plans include three 300-room hotels and three 400-room hotels - per the article above.

From the article:

"A document submitted to the county commission listed the proposed fun park as including 95 shops, 27 rides, 12 stages, 18 restaurants, three 300-room hotels and three 400-room hotels. The park itself would encompass 100 acres, as well as a 100-acre parking lot accommodating 9,000 vehicles.

Construction cost of those elements is estimated at $1.1 billion and would involve two years for completion.

Another $600 million in a second building phase would finance the construction of four additional 1,000-room hotels, 65 villas and 50 more acres of parking."

And they state 100 acres but later in the article they say 1000 acres. Our local news says 1000 acres. Obviously 100 acres is not enough for all that stuff so must be a mistake in the article. Hacks me off that journalism students are not taught as well as they used to be. You never woulda seen a mistake like that in an article in days gone by. Don't they have copy editors anymore?

I'mNoPrince
04-22-2007, 10:59 AM
The news will run anything Disney related as it will sell big time and have people tuned in.

Yes they might have purchased it and yes they might be looking into the Urban Entertainment centers that were in my Stockholders book I was sent.

bookgirl2632
04-22-2007, 11:00 AM
My guess is a DVC property. DVC properties in tourist areas would make sense for Disney. I highly doubt they'd be building more parks in the U.S. DL and WDW are enough.

perd
04-22-2007, 11:03 AM
My guess is a DVC property. DVC properties in tourist areas would make sense for Disney. I highly doubt they'd be building more parks in the U.S. DL and WDW are enough.

Did you read the plans? 27 rides, 18 restaurants, 6 hotels, 1000 acres.

happygirl
04-22-2007, 11:04 AM
Neosho is about 2 hours from Branson so if Branson is planning on building a road up there there might be some trouble

SteamBoatWillysKin
04-22-2007, 11:17 AM
It's Disney's latest theme park. It's going to be called "Disney's Hillbilly Adventure". One of the rides that was just announced is "Cusin Sally's Shot Gun Wedding Adventure", and Disney is also in negotiations with for the rights to "The Beverly Hillbillies" as Disney wants to theme the main luxury hotel as the "The Clampett's Mansion" complete with the cement pond.

perd
04-22-2007, 11:17 AM
Neosho is about 2 hours from Branson so if Branson is planning on building a road up there there might be some trouble

I didn't read anywhere that it was going to be in Neosho - that was just the Neosho paper reporting it.

disneyjunebug
04-22-2007, 11:25 AM
It's Disney's latest theme park. It's going to be called "Disney's Hillbilly Adventure". One of the rides that was just announced is "Cusin Sally's Shot Gun Wedding Adventure", and Disney is also in negotiations with for the rights to "The Beverly Hillbillies" as Disney wants to theme the main luxury hotel as the "The Clampett's Mansion" complete with the cement pond.

Hehehehehe!!!

Love it!

happygirl
04-22-2007, 11:30 AM
I'm kinda of confused you are the one that said you heard that Branson was asking for money for a road and I told you that Branson isn't anywhere close to Neosho in fact it says Newton County which is where Neosho is

don't get me wrong I would be the first person to be excited about anything disney down this way but I really don't think this is it

Butwhyistherumgone?
04-22-2007, 11:54 AM
I live in SW MO. I have heard this rumor since I was a kid but it has yet to come true. I would love if it would but I think it is just wishful thinking. There is a new entertainment complex going in in Branson but I am sure it is not Disney.
Actually, Branson would be a bad choise because traffic is so horible in the summer. I couldnt image what is would be like if Disney came to town!

perd
04-22-2007, 12:00 PM
I'm kinda of confused you are the one that said you heard that Branson was asking for money for a road and I told you that Branson isn't anywhere close to Neosho in fact it says Newton County which is where Neosho is

don't get me wrong I would be the first person to be excited about anything disney down this way but I really don't think this is it

All I know is what the local news said. The only reference I saw to Neosho was that it was the Neosho paper reporting it...I don't know what county Branson is in. All I know is our local news was reporting a new Disney park in/near Branson and that money being requested for roads. It would have to be somewhere not IN the city of Branson since there is already stuff built there. The only place I saw Newton County mentioned was in the Neosho article...but all I know is what I heard on the news and I was trying to catch it all and couldn't.

I found this too:

http://www.thedisneyblog.com/tdb/2007/04/bigtime_rumor_d.html

Butwhyistherumgone?
04-22-2007, 12:06 PM
I just read the article and Branson is not in Newton county. Again, I would LOVE LOVE LOVE it if this were true but I have heard it WAY too many times and besides the weather here in MO is Crazy. It would be hard to have the park open year round and get any good attendence in the cold winters ~ of course that being siad ~ I would still go :)

happygirl
04-22-2007, 12:13 PM
Anything is possible here to wishful thinking:goodvibes

Horace Horsecollar
04-22-2007, 12:37 PM
Extra! Extra! Read all about it!

‘Fun park' in Newton County? (http://www.neoshodailynews.com/articles/2007/04/19/news/01fun.txt), Neosho Daily News, MO - Apr 19, 2007

Theme-park for Southwest Missouri arouses locals (http://www.joplinindependent.com/display_article.php/jean-b1177086012), Joplin Independent, MO - Apr 20, 2007

Disney rumor reignited - Newton County officials told of possible theme park plans (http://www.news-leader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070421/NEWS02/704210360/1007/NEWS01), News-Leader.com, MO - Apr 21, 2007

Walt Disney Co. Linked To SW Missouri Project (http://www.thekansascitychannel.com/news/12816809/detail.html), KMBC-TV, Kansas City, MO - Apr 22, 2007

The News Leader article includes the following paragraphs, which -- if true -- suggest a genuine Disney connection.

"A possible Disney connection was raised when commissioners checked the company owners. On a form called "Registration of Fictitious Name" filed with the Missouri Secretary of State's office in March for ARM Risk, three owners are listed. Corporations routinely file such forms.

"The owners are Michael Hill of Wilmington, Del.; Robert Brown, who lists his address as 500 South Buena Vista St., Burbank, Calif.; and Jason Johnson, who lists his address as Corporate Office, Lake Buena Vista, Fla.

"On the Internet, commissioners found that the Burbank address is corporate headquarters of the Walt Disney Co. Lake Buena Vista, Fla., is headquarters of Walt Disney World Resort."

The article doesn't mention that "Michael Hill" in Delaware could also suggest a Disney link. Although The Walt Disney Company is based in California, the company is incorporated in Delaware.

Despite these paragraphs, I'm quite skeptical about the supposed Disney connection. There's just something fishy here -- such as the possibility that someone is trying to drive up adjacent land values, or that the story involves inaccurate information.

missouridisneyfans
04-22-2007, 12:58 PM
We have lived in Springfield, MO for 22 years and we have been hearing this same rumor for the same amount of time. The Springfield News-Leader did not state anything about Branson in a recent article concerning this rumor. They did state that it was in Newton (Neosha) county and not Stone (Branson) county. Most people around here will just wait and see and not get our hopes up for such an endeavor because there are always news of developers coming in and building something new and it sometimes do not happen.

Ub_Iwerks
04-22-2007, 01:05 PM
I live in Kansas City too and would not believe anything I saw on KCTV 5. It's journalism at its worst. I would not be at all suprised if Disney opened a DVC in Branson, kind of like they have in Hilton Head or Vero Beach, especially since Branson is already such a family destination. As far as Disney opening a theme park, I find that hard to believe since Silver Dollar City is so well established. I could see Disney buying out Silver Dollar City and turning it into a Disney park, but that's pretty far fetched.

About those new roads, hasn't Branson needed new roads for the last 20 years. Traffic is a nightmare there.

perd
04-22-2007, 01:17 PM
I live in Kansas City too and would not believe anything I saw on KCTV 5. It's journalism at its worst. I would not be at all suprised if Disney opened a DVC in Branson, kind of like they have in Hilton Head or Vero Beach, especially since Branson is already such a family destination. As far as Disney opening a theme park, I find that hard to believe since Silver Dollar City is so well established. I could see Disney buying out Silver Dollar City and turning it into a Disney park, but that's pretty far fetched.

About those new roads, hasn't Branson needed new roads for the last 20 years. Traffic is a nightmare there.

KCTV5 does definitely sensationalize a lot (although Katie Horner is the best weather person in KC IMO; I know a lot don't like her, but I do!), but this is obviously a story that is being reported elsewhere as well.

I personally don't even know if I'd go to a Disney resort at Branson. I guess I would at least just to experience it once. But if it's an outdoor park it couldn't be open year round because of the cold. Or if it was you wouldn't find me there October through March, that's for sure!

punkin1763
04-22-2007, 01:22 PM
I used to live in Springfield, MO years ago and I remember the rumors about Disney back then. It would be great to bring anything Disney to the area!! I hope it comes true - but I'll believe it when I see it!! :yay:

MJMcBride
04-22-2007, 01:42 PM

see now that I might go to

MJMcBride
04-22-2007, 02:08 PM
Disney did say they wanted to build some smaller scale "parks" or destinations in other tourist destinations. If that is true, this sort of makes some sense. But I still don't believe it yet

Horace Horsecollar
04-22-2007, 02:28 PM
Through a Missouri Secretary of State business entity search:

https://www.sos.mo.gov/BusinessEntity/soskb/Corp.asp?2028613

http://www.sos.mo.gov/imaging/16263702.pdf

tjkraz
04-22-2007, 02:31 PM
There's just something fishy here --

I agree.

Thanks for the links, BTW.

One of the articles mentions 6000 seasonal workers, and I can't see how Disney could run a seasonal park like others do with their overhead. Disney can't afford to build their style of attraction with just a 5-6 month revenue stream, and labor quality will always be a problem when dealing with part year employees.

laceemouse
04-22-2007, 03:15 PM
see now that I might go to

Me too Bubba! Like someone said, Texas has had the same rumor going for years. I even doubt a DVC, it took forever for them to sell HH and VB.

Butwhyistherumgone?
04-22-2007, 03:16 PM
I live in SW Mo and have heard rumors of Disney buying land around this area for 20+ years. I would love it if it were true but I am not going to get too excited until I see it. You know, missouri is the " show me" state.:goodvibes

Dis13
04-22-2007, 03:27 PM
Through a Missouri Secretary of State business entity search:

https://www.sos.mo.gov/BusinessEntity/soskb/Corp.asp?2028613

http://www.sos.mo.gov/imaging/16263702.pdf

Why would they file for a Ficticious Name? Is that something that's normally done?

(and thanks for the links!)

phalynx
04-22-2007, 03:28 PM
Me too Bubba! Like someone said, Texas has had the same rumor going for years. I even doubt a DVC, it took forever for them to sell HH and VB.

Many of these rumors are partially true. Disney owns land all over the country. They are investments ad stages for future projects should they ever decide to branch out. Disney has money and makes really good decisions on land purchases.

If Disney waited until a place was popular, they would never be able to purchase he land, price and size. Disney vowed to never again be locked into land like Disneyland.

tony609
04-22-2007, 03:52 PM
I guess I will add my 2 cents too!

One thing I read was the Walt Disney Co. was considering opening Downtown Disney type shopping areas in heavy tourist areas... The shopping areas would be modeled after the 2 exsisting locations with World of Disney stores and other shopping venues along with resturaunts and perhaps a movie complex. Added to this possible venture was the addition of a small theme park attached to the shopping area.

Now what the latest on this I have heard is ......

1-The powers that be at WD Co and major investors aren't keen on the idea of the theme parks attached to the shopping areas..they have said it down plays exsisting theme parks and would possibly then turn them into a 'six flags' type thing which nobody wants.

2-They are still in the developement stage and have years of research to do. The earliest anything would begin was ballparked at 2012.

Thats the latest rumours I have heard....

MBMacs
04-22-2007, 03:58 PM
There was a link on the board about a month or so ago from a Disney financial release. The jist was Disney was going to start looking into small destination hotel/resorts. Maybe this is the start of it.

CanadianGuy
04-22-2007, 04:13 PM
And they state 100 acres but later in the article they say 1000 acres. Our local news says 1000 acres. Obviously 100 acres is not enough for all that stuff so must be a mistake in the article. Hacks me off that journalism students are not taught as well as they used to be. You never woulda seen a mistake like that in an article in days gone by. Don't they have copy editors anymore?

I think the 'park with rides and stages' would be the 100 acres (excluding parking lots, hotels, shopping, etc). The total land purchase is 1000 acres. That's the way I read the article.

It makes that pretty clear:

The park itself would encompass 100 acres, as well as a 100-acre parking lot accommodating 9,000 vehicles.

Knox

mommeoftwin
04-22-2007, 04:30 PM
sorry for posting this after someone else had. I didn't see it before I made this thread. This is what I saw on our news this morning. I would hope they wouldn't just report something unless it had some merritt to it.

CanadianGuy
04-22-2007, 04:30 PM
Fishy doesn't describe this half right.. It's full on weird.

2711 Centerville in Delaware brings up this..

Corporate Agents, Inc.
2711 Centerville Road
Suite 420
Wilmington, DE 19808
Ph: (800)499-9519

I can't imagine Disney would need or be bothered with such an organization.

The address for the fictitious company is a UPS Store in a strip mall. Why does Disney need to do that?

The UPS Store #1502
1926 S Glenstone
Springfield MO 65804
Location Type: Store / Shopping Mall

Further..

Writing..

500 South Buena Vista, Burbank, CA is odd.

Having lived and worked in Burbank, the normal appearance of that street name would be:

500 S. Buena Vista St., Burbank, CA

Ok, that's a small thing.. and probably not indicative of anything.. but then further.. they got that address mostly right but then listed "Corporate Office" for the Team Disney building in Lake Buena Vista?

I'd list the three people's HOME addresses to cloak the corporate identity.

Lastly: Of the three names "Robert Brown" jumped out -- that was Sharon Disney's first husband. He died a year after Walt. Coincidental perhaps.. But.. maybe not.

I think someone is trying to pull something.. and I don't think it's Disney. If it is Disney.. VERY sloppy.

Knox

CanadianGuy
04-22-2007, 04:40 PM
I've been thinking this thru and it's downright fishy...

Fishy doesn't describe this half right.. It's full on weird.

2711 Centerville in Delaware, the address for Michael Hill brings up this..

Corporate Agents, Inc.
2711 Centerville Road
Suite 420
Wilmington, DE 19808

I can't imagine Disney would need or be bothered with such an organization.

The address for the fictitious company, ARM Risk is a UPS Store in a strip mall. Why does Disney need to do that?

The UPS Store #1502
1926 S Glenstone
Springfield MO 65804
Location Type: Store / Shopping Mall

Further..

Writing..

500 South Buena Vista, Burbank, CA is odd.

Having lived and worked in Burbank, the normal appearance of that street name would be:

500 S. Buena Vista St., Burbank, CA

Ok, that's a small thing.. and probably not indicative of anything..It IS listed both way for Disney addresses.. but then further.. they got that address right but then listed "Corporate Office" for the Team Disney building in Lake Buena Vista?

I'd list the three people's HOME addresses to cloak the corporate identity.

Lastly: Of the three names "Robert Brown" jumped out -- that was Sharon Disney's first husband. He died a year after Walt. Coincidental perhaps.. But.. maybe not.

I think someone is trying to pull something.. and I don't think it's Disney. If it is Disney.. VERY sloppy.

Knox

EUROPACL
04-22-2007, 04:41 PM
This is what I saw on our news this morning. I would hope they wouldn't just report something unless it had some merritt to it.

"Yes virginia there is a santa claus"...

Horace Horsecollar
04-22-2007, 04:44 PM
Why would they file for a Ficticious Name? Is that something that's normally done?
Yes, it's normal. There are legal requirements for registering and publishing a business name as a "fictitious name" if you're using anything other than your actual, personal name to do business.

2711 Centerville in Delaware brings up this..

Corporate Agents, Inc.
2711 Centerville Road
Suite 420
Wilmington, DE 19808

2711 Centerville Road seems to be a large office complex with many different occupants. So I wouldn't draw the conclusion that "Michael Hill" is involved with Corporate Agents, Inc. nor with any of the other businesses that have suites at 2711 Centerville Road.

pkgman
04-22-2007, 04:44 PM

(and thanks for the links!)

A Ficticious Name is legal description of business name.

You and I are real people that exist but Dis13 and pkgman are just personas. The regristant of the business exists but companies are personas that the registrants project to the public.

Does that make sense?

EDIT: I'm slow typing. HH beat me posting.

cls4016
04-22-2007, 04:52 PM
I was just going to post this. I saw it on a local TV news station's web site

http://www.myfoxstl.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail?contentId=2996205&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=1.1.1

:confused3

Just found another one from the NBC affiliate.

http://www.ksdk.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=117482&provider=top

CanadianGuy
04-22-2007, 05:11 PM
One further thought...

This line from the article caught my eye..

But Carter said he was told that 40 percent of the estimated 1,000 acres needed for the proposed park has already been committed for purchase from landowners.

Why on earth would a company as big as Disney tip their hand before the land was 100% secured? They learned that corporate lesson a long time ago and I'd be shocked if they tipped their hand at this point. The cost of the remaining 60% of the land would skyrocket once people thought the purchaser was Disney.

I just can't believe this is Disney. If it is.. they've completely 'lost it' -- presuming they ever had 'it' . ;)

Knox

Horace Horsecollar
04-22-2007, 06:18 PM
Why on earth would a company as big as Disney tip their hand before the land was 100% secured?
I agree.

This seems to be a case in which somebody is trying to make it seem as if Disney is buying land. They're using ridiculously obvious Burbank and Lake Buena Vista addresses and then discussing specific plans with public officials. It seems like someone is trying to plant the idea that Disney is coming to Newton County.

I don't think that Disney is actually buying land. I think somebody is trying to mislead.

Another Voice
04-22-2007, 08:51 PM
This whole thing is so silly and stupid it isn't really worth commenting on.

At least someone other than The Company is using the name "Disney" to bilk stupid people out of money. That's a change at least.

MJMcBride
04-22-2007, 09:33 PM
I agree.

This seems to be a case in which somebody is trying to make it seem as if Disney is buying land. They're using ridiculously obvious Burbank and Lake Buena Vista addresses and then discussing specific plans with public officials. It seems like someone is trying to plant the idea that Disney is coming to Newton County.

I don't think that Disney is actually buying land. I think somebody is trying to mislead.

I agree. Although if your assumption is correct, I sense a fraud case.

Butwhyistherumgone?
04-22-2007, 09:54 PM
I dont understand why the reports keep saying it is in Branson. :confused3 Branson is NOT is Newton county (I believe it is Taney county). Newton county is west of Branson.

Peter Pirate 2
04-22-2007, 10:15 PM
Well, this certrainly is interesting and odd but nonetheless we at least have a legitimate 'Disney to someplace' rumor for the rumors board!:thumbsup2

Sure I agree that it if it's Disney it looks extremely shaky relative to covertness but still it seems like the alternative would reek of fraud (although I'm no expert in these legalities).

But still with the current boneheads running Disney I guess it wouldn't really surprise me. If they're just interested in a smaller regional park, as we all believe is the only possibility then it looks like they already have what they need locked up and unlike Walt and based on the recent 4 Seasons deal, I don't think Disney cares about anything outside of their boundaries.
pirate:

tjkraz
04-22-2007, 11:28 PM
I still think there are a ton of holes in this report, but does anyone think it's interesting that Disney refused to comment on the story? If there is no Disney connection, wouldn't they want to get their name disassociated quickly?

Perhaps the delay is just a result of the story largely breaking over the weekend. :confused3

MermaidMommy
04-23-2007, 12:59 AM
[QUOTE=CanadianGuy;18283529]I've been thinking this thru and it's downright fishy...

It might be fishy, but even wdwinfo.com -- home to the DIS -- sounds intrigued. An excerpt:

"A possible Disney connection was raised when commissioners checked the company owners. On a form called "Registration of Fictitious Name" filed with the Missouri Secretary of State's office in March for ARM Risk, three owners are listed. Corporations routinely file such forms.

The owners are Michael Hill of Wilmington, Del.; Robert Brown, who lists his address as 500 South Buena Vista St., Burbank, Calif.; and Jason Johnson, who lists his address as Corporate Office, Lake Buena Vista, Fla.

On the Internet, commissioners found that the Burbank address is corporate headquarters of the Walt Disney Co. Lake Buena Vista, Fla., is headquarters of Walt Disney World Resort.

Officials at Disney headquarters in Burbank said the company would not comment on the matter."

It's in the "Disney News" section of the wdwinfo home page. Here's the link:
http://www.wdwinfo.com/news/article_001348.htm

Horace Horsecollar
04-23-2007, 01:39 AM
I still think there are a ton of holes in this report, but does anyone think it's interesting that Disney refused to comment on the story? If there is no Disney connection, wouldn't they want to get their name disassociated quickly?
Many companies refuse to comment one way or the other about any business rumors.

If a company denies some rumors and then doesn't deny other rumors, that company is effectively confirming any rumors that the company doesn't deny. By refusing to comment until there is an official announcement, a company avoids lending credibility to rumors.

Also, a company spokesperson is not aware of every initiative that's being pursued by every group within the company. It looks bad if a company spokesperson denies something, and it subsequently turns out to be true after all.

Claymax
04-23-2007, 07:51 AM
Seems like KC is quite the vacation destination of the future.

Schlitterbahn, the local Texas water park consistantly rated #1 in the US is building an entire resort there.

http://www.schlitterbahn.com/corp/media/vacation-village-factsheet.asp

I can tell you folks living up there are in for a treat.

happygirl
04-23-2007, 08:48 AM
[QUOTE=CanadianGuy;18283529]I've been thinking this thru and it's downright fishy...

It might be fishy, but even wdwinfo.com -- home to the DIS -- sounds intrigued. An excerpt:

Officials at Disney headquarters in Burbank said the company would not comment on the matter."

It's in the "Disney News" section of the wdwinfo home page. Here's the link:
http://www.wdwinfo.com/news/article_001348.htm

Very interesting!! thannks for that link

allisonswonderland
04-23-2007, 08:51 AM
Ok about the DVC Disnet trades with Interval and they have Interval already there....I would orignially think that they would not want to go in someplace where they trade, BUT maybe the point is so they do not have to trade???

DancingBear
04-23-2007, 09:01 AM
One of the articles mentions 6000 seasonal workers, and I can't see how Disney could run a seasonal park like others do with their overhead. Disney can't afford to build their style of attraction with just a 5-6 month revenue stream, and labor quality will always be a problem when dealing with part year employees.I'm dubious about the rumor, and certainly weather is an issue, but WDW has lots and lots of part year employees--that's how they deal with the difference between low and high seasons.

CanadianGuy
04-23-2007, 09:12 AM
One of the articles mentions the presiding Newton County commissioner as saying he understood that 40% of the land was secured.

Why on earth would Disney tip their hand on a 1 or 2 billion dollar development before ALL the land was secure? The price of land would skyrocket. It makes ZERO sense to open your mouth till the land is secure if you are serious about the development.

I remain extremely skeptical about this story. I'd be delighted to hear of a new Disney development.. but I don't think this is gonna be it.

WDWINFO, the parent to the DISBOARDS, is right to report on the rumor. And they did so correctly; clearly saying it is a rumor. Note the quote from the end of the WDWINFO story..

Developer Glenn Patch heard lots of Disney rumors after he purchased 7,000 acres of land just south of Hollister in the early '90s. His land is now the site of two golf courses, upscale homes and a commercial airport in development.

"When I was first coming here, I thought about painting a pair of black ears on my plane just for the fun of it," Patch said.

Surely if he thought there might be some perceived value (even if that value was just 'fun') in pretending to be the mouse at one point.. others have had the same thought.

Knox

happygirl
04-23-2007, 09:23 AM
Well even if it's not Disney coming to Newton County, I'm excited for whatever it is!!! sounds like it's going to be HUGE!!!! :goodvibes

Magalex
04-23-2007, 09:31 AM
I remember a similar rumor located in PA in the mid-1990's about Disney purchasing land. It was in the news and papers but then nothing again:confused3

Robo
04-23-2007, 09:34 AM
I live in Kansas City and the local news is reporting that Disney bought 1000 acres near Branson and that Branson has requested money for road construction into and out of a park that will include rides, restaurants and hotels. Disney is not commenting. Hmmm....Apparently a Springfield, Missouri contractor is involved.

I looked on the news website of the news station I keep hearing it on (KCTV5.com) so I could link a story here, but I can't find a story. But I have heard it twice now on the news, last night and this morning.

I think I figured it out...

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c265/RoboWDW/Silly%20Stuff/Disney-Parking-Sign-Ears.jpg

DisOrBust
04-23-2007, 10:16 AM
Couldthis be one of the "small boutique" type parks that have been previously mentioned?

Horace Horsecollar
04-23-2007, 10:31 AM
Couldthis be one of the "small boutique" type parks that have been previously mentioned?
Yes, it's possible. But then the number of hotel rooms looks questionable.

What makes this rumor interesting is the paperwork filed with the Missouri Secretary of State's office. The question is whether the Burbank and Lake Buena Vista addresses are a legitimate tie to Disney or if they're an attempt to mislead.

The whole thing still seems fishy to me, but I'll acknowledge that there's a possibility that this is the first step toward an actual smaller-scale Disney development.

THEDISFANS
04-23-2007, 10:56 AM
After getting land locked like they did with DL. I doubt they would build a park with such little land. and after Disney starts to build somewhere the price of land sky rockets. Disney would do a better job of keeping it under wraps.

DisOrBust
04-23-2007, 11:55 AM
Disney would do a better job of keeping it under wraps.

I use to think that as well untill you can find pictures of the DVC at the CR all over the net. All it takes is one idiot and we know they have plenty.

tjkraz
04-23-2007, 12:01 PM
Many companies refuse to comment one way or the other about any business rumors.

If a company denies some rumors and then doesn't deny other rumors, that company is effectively confirming any rumors that the company doesn't deny. By refusing to comment until there is an official announcement, a company avoids lending credibility to rumors.

Also, a company spokesperson is not aware of every initiative that's being pursued by every group within the company. It looks bad if a company spokesperson denies something, and it subsequently turns out to be true after all.

Good points. I still wonder if Disney will comment. This story already has a life of its own. If Disney is completely uninvolved, it would be in their interests to keep someone else from blatantly using their name in an attempt to deceive the public.

tjkraz
04-23-2007, 12:11 PM
I'm dubious about the rumor, and certainly weather is an issue, but WDW has lots and lots of part year employees--that's how they deal with the difference between low and high seasons.

I live about 50 miles away from Cedar Point, a well-known amusement park that is only open from May to September. Over the years I've seen the work force evolve from horny, ambivalent college kids to barely english-speaking foreigners (they have their home state / country on their nametags and these days most seem to be from Poland or the Czech).

So I guess that's just my own bias speaking. I hate to bring Walt into the discussion wrecklessly, but I know he was originally opposed to DL being a seasonal park out of concerns about the quality of the workforce. Perhaps he underestimated the loyalty that a park carrying the "Disney" name would engender.

Jon99
04-23-2007, 12:57 PM
Wasn't Robert Brown the name of Walt's son-in-law?:rotfl:

thevirgens
04-23-2007, 01:13 PM
Has anybody tried to see if Disney in fact owns the land by doing research at the local county office?? I know this can be done through the "Assesors office".

By the way if this is true, my son's name is Branson! We have named all our kids after cities. We have said that when they are older we would take them to the city they are named after!! Wouldn't that be fun!! Disney in Branson!!! :goodvibes

SamIAm21
04-23-2007, 02:12 PM
"Yes virginia there is a santa claus"...

Well, here's a little news out of KC.

http://www.thekansascitychannel.com/news/12816809/detail.html

DisneyExplorer
04-23-2007, 02:42 PM
where is Branson Mo?:confused3

CanadianGuy
04-23-2007, 02:58 PM
Wasn't Robert Brown the name of Walt's son-in-law?:rotfl:

Yes.. I noted this in another thread about this. He was Sharon's first husband and died shortly after Walt did.

All in all -=- very weird this whole deal.

Knox

CanadianGuy
04-23-2007, 03:00 PM
Has anybody tried to see if Disney in fact owns the land by doing research at the local county office?? I know this can be done through the "Assesors office".

By the way if this is true, my son's name is Branson! We have named all our kids after cities. We have said that when they are older we would take them to the city they are named after!! Wouldn't that be fun!! Disney in Branson!!! :goodvibes

Well the county commissioner quoted in the article says the land purchase agreements for 40% of the 1000 acres .. have been "secured.." BUT, he does NOT say the land was purchased yet.

Subtle difference.

Personally I think its all "bunk". :)

Knox

CanadianGuy
04-23-2007, 03:04 PM
I use to think that as well untill you can find pictures of the DVC at the CR all over the net. All it takes is one idiot and we know they have plenty.

Except nobody knows for sure if those pictures are real. They could be 'projections' from some idealistic DVC proponent. We just don't know.

The only think we know for sure is that the building will have a "C" shape because that's the design submitted to the FL state gov't offices etc. The exact and final design is not clear at all.

Disney has issued 'mis-information' before to throw folks off the scent. Frankly - I don't believe this is disney because they would never send someone to a county commissioners meeting until the land was 100% secure.

I just don't believe they are THAT stupid.

Knox

irisbud
04-23-2007, 03:12 PM
There are rumors about Disney buying land all over the country all of the time. About two years after we moved into our hourse, there was a rumor that Disney bought a ton of land about 11 miles south of us. It was on the early morning St. Louis news and everything.

All I could think was, yeah right.

I doubt it's true. But, it would be neat if it was!

raidermatt
04-23-2007, 03:22 PM
I agree with the overall sentiment that this is awfully suspicious, but at the same time, we can't be positive about what is really going on.

It's odd that Disney would go thorugh so much trouble to keep possible expansion plans in Anaheim a secret, yet be so careless about something like this.

Beyond that...

6 hotels for one "small" theme park seems a bit excessive. Overbuilding of hotels was the single biggest contributor to EuroDisney's problems.

Then again, 27 rides and 12 stages would give the park more attractions than DCA, MGM, AK, and Epcot. So it doesn't exactly sound like a small or boutique park.

95 shops and 18 restaurants is a lot of retail, but I suppose that could include some kind of DTD district as well.

CanadianGuy
04-23-2007, 03:34 PM
at the same time, we can't be positive about what is really going on.

Boy ain't that the rub in a nutshell eh?

Knox

JMD
04-23-2007, 03:49 PM
Disney would do a better job of keeping it under wraps.

I know what DVC is, but what is CR?

EUROPACL
04-23-2007, 03:54 PM
Well, here's a little news out of KC.

http://www.thekansascitychannel.com/news/12816809/detail.html

Wow someone picked up the same exact story on the wire and reprinted it....it must be true. Don't be surprised if "Dan Rather" has to make another retraction.

DisOrBust
04-23-2007, 03:59 PM
Sorry Contemporary Resort. I can't remember the dates I think last summer. Someone did a search on DVC and pictures from a design firm popped up for DVC CR. As word spread the pictures were pulled but enough were saved that you can find them everywhere. Checkout screamscape.com they have the orginal pictures as well others "ideas".

JMD
04-23-2007, 04:15 PM
Ahh......The Contemporary. I should have know, now it makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.

TommyTutone
04-23-2007, 04:31 PM
Branson is Las Vegas if it was run by Ned Flanders. Disney would be perfect there!

Colleen27
04-23-2007, 06:53 PM
Personally, I can't see Disney opening another theme park in the United States, especially not in Middle America. The weather just isn't condusive to a major tourist destination on par with WDW/DL. Think of all the walking and time out in the elements that is involved in visiting WDW or DL or even UO/IOA - Would you be up for that in Febuary in Missouri? We go to WDW t get away from that kind of weather! Unless Disney has come up with a new idea that would take theme parks indoors (and I suppose that is possible... if anyone can do it, it'd be the Imagineers :) ), I don't think that Branson is a likely option for a potential new park.

bytheblood
04-23-2007, 08:12 PM
That is an awful lot of hotel space for only 1 park with 27 rides.

ChrisFL
04-23-2007, 09:23 PM
I remember a similar rumor located in PA in the mid-1990's about Disney purchasing land. It was in the news and papers but then nothing again:confused3

Well, they were going to build Disney's America theme park but that was in Virginia not PA

JRMPoppins
04-23-2007, 10:13 PM
Dollywood here is in a similar climate as Branson. Open year round but on a very limited basis in the winter months. I can't imagine Disney would open something that would be so weather-limited. Could you imagine Spring Breakers in the frequent 30/40 degree cold snaps? Someone should chalk this up as "Urban Legend." By the way, on sites dedicated to bunking such rumors, Disney usually has its own category of such lore.

jekajekalynn
04-23-2007, 10:30 PM
Dollywood here is in a similar climate as Branson. Open year round but on a very limited basis in the winter months. I can't imagine Disney would open something that would be so weather-limited. Could you imagine Spring Breakers in the frequent 30/40 degree cold snaps? Someone should chalk this up as "Urban Legend." By the way, on sites dedicated to bunking such rumors, Disney usually has its own category of such lore.

I agree... I'm not holding my breath about this one.. If ANYTHING it's probably just some resort hotels..

I don't think Disney would be roused up for building anymore huge themepark deals RIGHT AFTER building DLHK.:rolleyes1

SYRS
04-23-2007, 11:11 PM
In the 2006 Annual report Disney released a piece of concept art for a "urban entertainment center" - not sure what that means - but this could be part of that?

Who knows!?

Just wait and see.

flyinglizard
04-23-2007, 11:31 PM
Reality Check- What is an investment that won't lose money in the future?

perd
04-23-2007, 11:43 PM

Schlitterbahn, the local Texas water park consistantly rated #1 in the US is building an entire resort there.

Before Kansas Speedway, there was NOTHING out there in Kansas City, Kansas and you sure wouldn't have wanted to go hang out there. Now they have Village West and minor league baseball field and apparently are doing more. Your post is the first I had heard about the water part. But from the description it's going to be out there with all the other stuff.

Jon99
04-24-2007, 02:15 AM
Here in the Chicago area the zoos are open 12 months a year, animals are just moved indoors.. Make adjustments to the attractions (more indoor) and it can be done. Still seems like a longshot.

Dis13
04-24-2007, 07:02 AM
As several people commented - it was some sort of hoax, probably to drive up land values... how sad!

Rumored Disney park 'shenanigans'

Kathryn Buckstaff
News-Leader

Neosho — People in rural Newton County will have to forget, at least for now, the prospect of selling their land for big bucks to the Walt Disney Co.

After rumors flew last week that Disney was planning to build a $1.1 billion theme park in the area, Presiding Commissioner Jerry Carter got the word Monday that, as he put it, it's "shenanigans."

Modern Bath Solutions
"I just talked to the vice president of public affairs for Disney, and she said there's nothing to it," Carter said.

Carter said Disney officials didn't recognize the names of any of the three owners of ARM Risk, the company supposedly working to assemble the 1,000 acres of land.

"(Disney) can say absolutely that they're not involved in Newton County or in southwest Missouri," Carter said.

Two weeks ago, Todd Marshall, who said he represented ARM Risk, attended a Board of Commissioners meeting to ask about making changes to rural roads leading to the site of a planned theme park. Marshall did not identify who would develop such a park. But when commissioners checked addresses on ARM Risk's registration with the Missouri Secretary of State's office, two of the three addresses were those of Disney corporate headquarters in Burbank, Calif., and Lake Buena Vista, Fla.

Also, the business address listed on the registration form is 1826 S. Glenstone Ave., Springfield, Suite 353. That address is the site of a UPS store with a mailbox numbered 353.

Win $1,000 in new furniture
And lending an odd touch, the name of one of the company's owners is registered as Robert Brown. While it may be a common name, it also is the name of the deceased first husband of Walt Disney's daughter, Sharon Disney. That Robert Brown died in 1967.

Carter said he's perplexed by the events.

"It's amazing the number of people who have called with the thought of their land going up in value. We're calling the attorney general's office."

Robert Fougere, press secretary for the Missouri Attorney General's office, said he couldn't yet say whether the events will come under scrutiny by that office.

"We certainly would be interested to hear if someone has complaints," Fougere said.

While Marshall gave commissioners a toll-free number, repeated calls yielded a busy signal. Also, e-mail to the address he gave commissioners was not returned.

"It doesn't smell right," said Steve Critchfield, a commercial real estate broker in Branson. If Disney were seeking property, "they would never be this public if they didn't control all the land they needed."

"It would happen before we'd hear anything about it," Critchfield said.

Despite rumors, there's never been any sign of Disney interest in the Branson area, he said.

Jim Hill, a New Hampshire resident, has been writing about Disney for 25 years. He makes his living from his Disney-related Web site.

"It's a cruel prank," he said. "The history of the Disney Company is that they're incredibly careful about this stuff."

According to a timeline of the Disney Co., in 1964, Disney attorney Robert Foster began to purchase land in Florida. To keep his identity secret, he used an assumed name. Among the property was 12,400 acres owned by three Orlando home builders that he bought for $145 an acre.

However, Disney officials have begun exploring expansion by building stand-alone Disney-branded businesses such as resort hotels and water parks because travelers go to major theme parks only once every four years, according to minutes of a report by Jay Rasulo, chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts.

In February, Rasulo said Disney is thinking about developing themed hotels that could be built in large cities that already are tourist draws. Disney also is contemplating "niche theme parks" and water parks in other cities, Rasulo said.

"Our relationships with millions of families will enable us to expand to new businesses and new markets," Rasulo said. "We will never stop dreaming."

"The irony is that Branson would probably be great turf for Disney," Hill said.

MJMcBride
04-24-2007, 08:28 AM
Forget it

http://www.mouseextra.com/

CanadianGuy
04-24-2007, 08:32 AM
Wonder if this means that charges will be laid for filing false information with the state office regarding the fictional name documents.. ??

Knox

happygirl
04-24-2007, 09:18 AM
I live in Branson, and grew up in Newton County I can't for the life of me understand why they think Branson is anywhere near Newton county lol
they are about 1.5 hours apart

Even if it's not Disney it will be HUGE for Newton county

SamIAm21
04-24-2007, 09:33 AM
Wow someone picked up the same exact story on the wire and reprinted it....it must be true. Don't be surprised if "Dan Rather" has to make another retraction.

Rude, much?

DancingBear
04-24-2007, 10:19 AM
Many of these rumors are partially true. Disney owns land all over the country. They are investments ad stages for future projects should they ever decide to branch out. Disney has money and makes really good decisions on land purchases.Source? Proof?

DancingBear
04-24-2007, 10:24 AM
Wonder if this means that charges will be laid for filing false information with the state office regarding the fictional name documents.. ??Likely it will be impossible to trace who filed them.

happygirl
04-24-2007, 10:58 AM
I dunno if Disney would admit to it right off the bat

DancingBear
04-24-2007, 12:06 PM
Of course! Disney is being extra sneaky by "allowing" their involvement to be "discovered," then denying everything, so that now when land prices plummet they really will go out and snap up that prime Missouri property!!

Cogswel_Cogs
04-24-2007, 12:54 PM
I am sure if Disney was to go to any not hugely developed area. It would buy the entire town. I am sure they have learned from past succeful experiance if you are going to take a shot anywhere buy all the surrounding land.

happygirl
04-24-2007, 01:56 PM
Of course! Disney is being extra sneaky by "allowing" their involvement to be "discovered," then denying everything, so that now when land prices plummet they really will go out and snap up that prime Missouri property!! what a unhappy person you must be in real life to be so arrogant and rude

Well when they were buying land in Flordia, they made up fake companies so why not this tiime??

CanadianGuy
04-24-2007, 03:18 PM
HappyGirl:

I feel ya -- but this time around.. I just don't think it's Disney...

First off.. after this story broke... when the County Commissioner who could make or break a billion dollar development calls Disney corporate and asked "You guys up to anything in this county/state?" -- Disney said no according to the report. And they went on to say that none of the names listed were recognizeable to them corporately.

I suspect that lying to a county commissioner, while not a crime per-se, is an ill-advised way to start a major development in a new region.. Certainly it'd probably get you off on the wrong foot with him.

There's a thousand ways they could have answered that differently to leave the door open to them doing something without admitting anything. In fact, he could have been told, "Yeah we ARE doing something but don't talk about it please."

Then the Commish could have said to the media, I've talked to Disney and they're looking into exactly who these people are and they're going to get back to us. (Stalling tactic)

Instead, Disney said in pretty clear terms : "Nope, not us."

Knox

EUROPACL
04-24-2007, 03:31 PM
Rude, much?

Rude...hardly just smarter than the average "land spec scheme and "Disney is opening a park in my state" story that gets posted here a couple of times a week....reguardless of how many "News outlets" pick the story up and print it without a ounce of proof.

MasterShake
04-24-2007, 03:55 PM
Rude...hardly just smarter than the average "land spec scheme and "Disney is opening a park in my state" story that gets posted here a couple of times a week....reguardless of how many "News outlets" pick the story up and print it without a ounce of proof.

To be honest you are kind of a jerk, but then again so am I.......

YoHo
04-24-2007, 04:01 PM
This website needs more jerks.

crazy4wdw
04-24-2007, 04:29 PM
I have merged the four threads on the Branson rumor into one. No need to have four separate threads on the same topic.

It also appears that we may be headed down the same the path as we did about a week ago regarding posting inappropraite comments and personal attacks. Let's keep the discussion civil here! I don't want to close down another thread this week. Many Thanks!

EUROPACL
04-24-2007, 04:49 PM
To be honest you are kind of a jerk, but then again so am I.......

Too many people try and read tone into post on the net. In real life I would say I'm more of a smart donkey....oh yeah my mommy says that I'm handsome too.

Ub_Iwerks
04-24-2007, 08:02 PM

I'm in KC and am really looking forward to the waterpark. Maybe I can get a summer job there :) It's only 15 minutes from my house, but I plan on driving the kids around during nap time until they fall asleep and then wake them up to tell them we are at our "vacation" hotel. The Treehaus Resort sounds REALLY cool. My only concern is I drove by the other day and not much of anything was going on at the spot. I knew they were building a waterpark there, but I had no idea how elaborate it is:

(From link above):
"The project includes a Schlitterbahn Water Resort for summer operation. It will be one of the world's largest tubing parks with miles of interconnected rivers and signature attractions such as the Master Blasterฎ uphill water coaster and Torrent Riverฎ.

The project also includes a large Interactive Marine Park with saltwater lagoons for snorkeling, helmet diving and touch pools.

A Riverwalk with lush foliage and winding walkways will feature destination shopping, dining and entertainment centered in a covered, year-round environment.

A Lodging package will include more than 1,800 accommodations including: a full-service hotel, waterfront cabins and the unique Treehaus Resort with elevated pods - all integrated within waterpark attractions.

MJMcBride
04-24-2007, 10:17 PM
This website needs more jerks.

you would say that

Brian_WDW74
04-24-2007, 11:32 PM
I live in KC, too. With all these new Bass Pro Shops moving in, plus the proposed Schlitterbahn Vacation Village and Legoland theme parks, and also World of Fun/Oceans of Fun and Great Wolf Lodge, I'm barely going to be able to get enough rest to go to Disney! :coffee:

*Brian*

YoHo
04-25-2007, 02:19 AM
you would say that

What we really need is more use of this smilie. :confused3
Confused3 is the best smilie ever and I love it. I wish everyone used it all the time.

We could all post stuff like

I don't understand why you hate Disney so much. :confused3

I hope they don't build in Branson, because the comedy stylings of Yakov Smearnov are too adult for my children :confused3

How does our capitalist system work :confused3

Audiorulz4u
04-25-2007, 04:41 PM
Well I have to say I live just two counties south of Newton in the Bentonville Arkansas area. Before I herd this Disney rumor I herd rumors of them wanting to build a NASCAR motor speedway somewhere north of Bentonville which was in the northwest Arkansas news. But then again it could be some idiots trying to make the value of land in the area go up so they can sell out and make bank. But personally I’d rather see a theme park get put in the area over a NASCAR track regardless of it being Disney or not. If it is a theme park if you stop and think about it the location would be good. You got Hwy 71 which is all 4 lanes now except for a 10mile stretch before you hit Arkansas which is in the process of becoming 4 lanes all the way to Fort Smith where you got I-40 then you got I-44 just north of there at Joplin. Plus the northwest Arkansas regional airport is just 20-30 minutes away and they are building onto that airport. If Disney dose built a park I’ll believe it when I see it. I should probably add if it is a theme park far as employment they could easily hire college students you got the U of A in Fayetteville just south of Bentonville and Missouri Southern in Joplin.

CanadianGuy
04-25-2007, 04:55 PM
What we really need is more use of this smilie. :confused3
Confused3 is the best smilie ever and I love it. I wish everyone used it all the time.

We could all post stuff like

I don't understand why you hate Disney so much. :confused3

I hope they don't build in Branson, because the comedy stylings of Yakov Smearnov are too adult for my children :confused3

How does our capitalist system work :confused3

YoHo - You know I don't always agree with your line of thinking per se...

But I will say this about you.. I admire your humor and your overall posting style very much my friend. :)

You're good people.... whether you want to be thought of that way or not. :confused3

Knox

perd
04-25-2007, 05:19 PM
Yes, it's normal. There are legal requirements for registering and publishing a business name as a "fictitious name" if you're using anything other than your actual, personal name to do business..

Yep. When I opened a business bank account I had to send them proof of registration of my "fictitious name" with the state. :confused3 Made me feel like I was trying to do something illegal.

mommeoftwin
04-30-2007, 02:16 PM
pay me no mind I am trying to see if I put my ticker in the right place. So this is just a test.

pkgman
04-30-2007, 10:16 PM
Here is a long read from the St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Disney in the Ozarks: Flim-flam or front man? (http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/stlouiscitycounty/story/F8141B61BEB10CF9862572CB000EF6B4?OpenDocument)

NEOSHO, MO. — The man promising a mysterious new venture arrived at the courthouse square in a yellow Corvette. The three Newton County commissioners took note of his flashy ride.

The visitor was stocky and bald. He wore a gray pinstripe suit. He was perspiring. He had tried to arrange this meeting with the county commission twice before without giving his name or divulging what he wanted. The commission refused. He relented, telling them why he wanted to meet, leading to this moment on April 12.

He said his name was Todd Marshall. He said he represented an outfit called ARM Risk. He wanted to talk about opening a theme park and resort. He never said the magic word — "Disney." He didn't need to. Others soon made the connection for him.

Sitting at one end of a conference table, Marshall said he could not disclose whom he represented, but he was working to secure the rights to 1,000 acres in a corner of Newton County, just outside Joplin.

He slid a sheet of paper across the table. It contained a brief, yet ambitious, proposal: $1.7 billion to buy the land and build 10 hotels, 95 shops, 18 restaurants and 27 amusement rides. It promised to be a legendary project, even in this fast-changing southwestern corner of the state. It was a plan of Disney-esque proportions.

"So, are you excited?" Marshall asked, according to the commissioners.

They were not.

Jerry Carter, the lead commissioner, noted that the paper lacked a formal letterhead. This can't be real, he thought. "How crazy can this guy be?" commissioner Jack Sanders wondered.

The commissioners were curious why Marshall was even here. He didn't need their blessing. The county has no planning or zoning rules. A banker who happened to be at the meeting was skeptical, too. "I just found it odd," said Rudy Farber, head of Community Bank & Trust, who wondered why Marshall would want to broadcast his intentions.

The meeting lasted 30 minutes. Marshall left in his Corvette. It was the last time the county commission — or just about anybody else — would see him.

Right away, the Disney rumors hit the local papers and airwaves. And though Walt Disney Co. eventually denied involvement, the mystery has only deepened.

ARM Risk's purported owners haven't been located. The state attorney general's office says it is looking into the company, whose phone numbers were disconnected last week.

Some people doubt the acquisition — if it is real — is for a theme park at all.

And yet, landowners continue to sign options to sell their property, as the excitement builds. The dream of Disney refuses to fade. After all, some people say, Walt Disney grew up in Missouri. Speculation about a Disney park opening in Branson, just 85 miles away, has circulated for years. So why not here? Why not now?

For others, the whole affair has shades of "The Music Man," the classic Broadway musical about a con man who travels the Midwest promising to sell musical instruments. That story was turned into a TV movie a few years ago — by a company named Disney.

A confidentiality pact

Tim Bender insists he didn't start the Disney hysteria. He says he's just a hired hand who, for various reasons, has fingerprints all over the deal.

One of Bender's companies is a legal research firm in Joplin with 12 employees, called AIS. He says his company was hired last year by a lawyer from St. Louis to research various parcels of land. He was not told who the client was, but he says he couldn't share that anyhow because he signed a confidentiality agreement.

His firm looked at land in Tulsa, Okla., Springfield, Mo., and two sites around Joplin. He says his firm paid others for engineering work and soil testing, expenses the law firm reimbursed "to keep it as anonymous as possible."

"They paid us pretty well," Bender says.

In March, the St. Louis lawyer had a new request, according to Bender, 35. The lawyer wanted Bender to file paperwork with the Secretary of State.

ARM Risk was established March 26 with a routine "fictitious name" registration. Bender's firm cut the $7 check for the filing fee, state records show. But the filing's return address lists another firm: "Atlas Risk" — a company with ties to Bender.

From there, the tangle of companies becomes a knot. Bender says he used to own Atlas Risk, an employment background firm, until he sold it last year to another man. A call to the new owner of Atlas Risk confirms this. Bender says he can't explain how Atlas Risk ended up on the new filing.

"That was some screw-up on (the lawyer's) part," Bender says.

But there is one detail that Bender admits he has not disclosed, even to his mystery employer. Bender and his family own about 80 acres in the heart of the proposed theme park location. They stand to benefit if the deal goes through, or if the speculation causes land prices to jump.

"I'm from that area. I was familiar with it, so I did push for that area," Bender says, adding that he did not orchestrate the deal. He says he should tell Marshall that he owns some of the land, emphasizing that he has done nothing wrong.

"Where is the fraud?" he asks. "Nothing has been bought. Nothing has been sold."

Denial fans the flames

The connection to Disney was made shortly after Marshall left the courthouse.

ARM Risk's state filing can be found online and lists three owners:

— Michael Hill, 2711 Centerville Rd., Wilmington, Del.

— Robert Brown, 500 South Buena Vista St., Burbank, Calif.

— Jason Johnson, Corporate Office, Lake Buena Vista, Fla.

The Burbank address is Disney's corporate office. Disney also has offices in Lake Buena Vista, near Disney World. And Delaware is a renowned haven for companies seeking to incorporate. "It looked like Disney was behind it," Carter said.

Carter takes pride in making county government open to the public, so when a local reporter called, Carter mentioned Marshall's visit.

The Joplin Globe published a story April 19 under the headline: "Disney rumors resurface," referring to false rumors of Disney parks' coming to other counties stretching back to the early 1990s. The Springfield News-Leader followed with a story two days later.

The Walt Disney Co. only fanned the rumor's flames by declining to comment. Last Monday, the tight-lipped Disney Co. finally opened up — a little.

"We have no plans for a theme park in Missouri," Disney spokesman Donn Walker told the Post-Dispatch.

Disney has employees with the names "Robert Brown" and "Jason Johnson." However, those employees do not work in any capacity related to theme park development, according to a Disney official, who spoke on the condition his name was not used.

Everything about the Newton County land deal screamed that the Walt Disney Co. was not involved, the official said. "This is bogus and bunk," the official said of a potential Disney investment in Newton County.

After all, the official noted, this was a company that back in the 1960s managed to acquire the land for Disney World in Florida without anybody's getting wind of it. Disney wouldn't be so sloppy that the company's interest could be easily discovered. "It simply defies logic and reason," the official said.

The mailing address for ARM Risk lists an address with a suite number, but the suite is a mailbox at a UPS Store sandwiched between a nail salon and an appliance shop in a strip mall in Springfield. Todd Marshall rented the box, according to a store employee.

As the UPS Store's promotional materials make clear, a mailbox rental provides the "prestige of a street address with your personal number."

But using the address to register with Missouri may be a violation of state law. The secretary of state requires a physical business address, not a post office box.

Skepticism, speculation

Despite the swirling doubts, Allyn Burt presses on.

He runs Charles Burt Realtors in Joplin. About six weeks ago, a man walked into his office, Allyn Burt recalls. The visitor said he needed help acquiring one-year contracts with first-right-of-refusal to buy 1,000 acres in Newton County. But it would not be easy — there might be as many as 400 different landowners.

The man said he was Todd Marshall, a representative of ARM Risk. The meeting lasted 30 minutes. Burt never saw Marshall again.

Burt was instructed to tell people the land was being acquired for an amusement park and was given a formula for calculating offers.

Marshall said he would pay Burt nothing up front — only a commission if the deal went through. "I was skeptical," Burt says. "I've never done anything like this."

Since then, Burt has been working his way door-to-door making offers. A copy of the four-page contract obtained by the Post-Dispatch shows landowners are asked to enter into a contract with ARM Risk LLC — although no such limited liability company is registered in Missouri. The company address traces back to the same UPS Store.

No titles have changed hands, but Burt says he has obtained signatures to 60 percent of the necessary acreage. Although the negative publicity has not hurt business, Burt says he is not sure what to believe.

"I've tried to figure out if this is real or not," he says. "And I go up and down, day by day, minute by minute."

Bonnie Engberg, 26, and her husband live in the proposed park location. They have discussed what they plan to do when they get an offer. They bought their four acres with a house for $98,000 four years ago. Engberg says she has heard of neighbors' getting $350,000 for six acres. She is reluctant to move.

"But my husband said that if they'd offer us $350,000, we'd sell in a heartbeat," she says.

A call — then silence

The objections by the Walt Disney Co. caused Marshall to resurface late last week — by phone.

He says he is calling from Springfield. His phone number has a South Florida area code. He says he is in the land acquisition business and commutes between Springfield and Orlando. In fact, he plans to fly to Orlando this very night. He says he owns a yellow Corvette, a black Corvette, a boat and a BMW.

He plays down any connection with Disney. "I don't know where this Disney is coming from. It's just a rumor," he says, adding, "Nobody said the 'D' word, not at all."

He says he doesn't understand why everyone is talking about this. He calls his meeting with the county commissioners "not a big deal." He says he never intended for it to go public.

After 10 minutes on the phone Thursday, he agrees to meet in person. He says he will contact the owners of ARM Risk and put the Post-Dispatch in touch with them. He says to call about "3-ish" that afternoon in Springfield to arrange a meeting.

As of Saturday, he hasn't answered numerous calls from the Post-Dispatch.

Done talking

Meanwhile, the county commissioners are still dealing with the Disney rumors. No amount of skepticism seems to cool interest.

"There is something going on here — whether it is the real estate people trying to stimulate prices, or a small amusement park or something else," Carter says, exasperated at how the rumors persist. "Maybe they're going to put a casino boat on Shoal Creek."

"They could," commissioner Jerry Black offers dryly. "The water is up a little bit."

Carter and the two other commissioners then begin tackling the more mundane business of opening bids and talking about road improvements. But several times they are interrupted by the ringing phone.

At one point, the commission secretary answers and muffles the receiver against her chest. She says a man wants to talk about the theme park, but he doesn't want to give his name.

"Then I don't want to talk to him," Carter says.

He is done talking about Disney.

CanadianGuy
04-30-2007, 10:26 PM
Thanks PKGMAN - what a well researched (seemingly) story!

Knox

groovy~disney
05-01-2007, 04:46 AM
Here is a long read from the St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Long but an interesting read! Even if they didn't get all the facts straight, it is seemingly the most informative piece on the subject! Thanks pkgman, i'm surprised I missed this in the Post.

DisFlan
05-05-2007, 02:12 PM
I live 40 miles west of Branson - right in between Branson and Joplin. We hear rumors like this every few years - some of them fairly convincing. No one pays much attention.

I've never understood why Disney (or Universal or anyone else) would want to add to the theme park family here. Silver Dollar City and Shepherd of the Hills have been here for decades (and rule the area). Everything else that's been tried has gone kaput. I'll believe in something from Disney when I see the sign go up - on a finished project.

The one way it might work is if Disney bought out the other entities - not land out in the far yonder. And maybe I'd get a DVC closer to home.

DisFlan

LoveToDisney
09-08-2010, 09:53 PM
Now that Branson has a brand new airport able to handle commercial flights, do you think Disney will surprise us (after this economy rebounds) with news about a future Disney Theme Park near Branson?

tjkraz
09-08-2010, 10:01 PM
Now that Branson has a brand new airport able to handle commercial flights, do you think Disney will surprise us (after this economy rebounds) with news about a future Disney Theme Park near Branson?

Doubt it. Disney has resort complexes on both coasts of the US. If they built a third US destination, for the most part it would simply siphon business off of the existing resorts. Sure there would be some added revenue but not enough to offset the dollars it would cost to acquire land, build and operate another theme park complex.

Several years ago Disney floated the ides of smaller regional hotels. In my mind, I envisioned it as being something like a Great Wolf Lodge or Kalahari which have a hotel, restaurants, indoor waterpark, and a few small-scale attractions under one roof.

It's been 2-3 years without any progress to that end. Parks & Resorts has had a management change over that time and it's entirely possible that this was simply some pet project of Jay Rasulo which will now never see the light of day.

nytimez
09-08-2010, 10:25 PM
Doubt it. Disney has resort complexes on both coasts of the US. If they built a third US destination, for the most part it would simply siphon business off of the existing resorts. Sure there would be some added revenue but not enough to offset the dollars it would cost to acquire land, build and operate another theme park complex.

Several years ago Disney floated the ides of smaller regional hotels. In my mind, I envisioned it as being something like a Great Wolf Lodge or Kalahari which have a hotel, restaurants, indoor waterpark, and a few small-scale attractions under one roof.

It's been 2-3 years without any progress to that end. Parks & Resorts has had a management change over that time and it's entirely possible that this was simply some pet project of Jay Rasulo which will now never see the light of day.

Disney has been building regional hotels -- Hilton Head, Vero Beach, Hawaii and National Harbor. They're not Great Wolf Lodge, but this is the approach they're taking.

I do agree that a "full" Disney park outside of WDW or DL is unlikely, though.

doconeill
09-08-2010, 10:38 PM
Disney P&R has tried and failed a few times to break out of the parks...first with DisneyQuest, which died quickly except for the DTD location, and now ESPN Zone. Disney has in general had problems bringing branded locations out of the parks. The "mini-resort" concept would just have been seen as a copycat of Great Wolf, Coco Key, etc.

On the idea of a 3rd major theme park complex, the only way that would fly is if it could somehow tap into the market of those who are not repeat visitors of the current parks - either by creating a wholly new theme that would attract a new contingent (i.e. not another DL clone), or can tap into a huge local market that would visit frequently that otherwise would not travel to the existing parks. That would probably mean further north - and until Disney Imagineering can figure out how to not only deal with huge amounts of snow and ice in the parks, but also in the surrounding area so guests can still GET to the parks, its not gonna happen.

Far more likely to see 5th and 3rd gates at the existing locations, and that isn't happening soon.

tjkraz
09-08-2010, 11:24 PM
Disney has been building regional hotels -- Hilton Head, Vero Beach, Hawaii and National Harbor. They're not Great Wolf Lodge, but this is the approach they're taking.

Hilton Head and Vero are timeshares. Their contributions to Disney's bottom line pretty much ended about 10 years ago. Aulani is the real test to see if Disney will go further with off-site destinations. Still, it's not exactly the concept that they floated a few years ago.

The term was "regional entertainment complex", or something along those lines. However they phrased it, it prompted me to make the connection to GWL. Aulani really isn't more than your typical Hawaii resort/timeshare with Disney touches and a couple character meals.

National Harbor may or may not even get off the drawing board.

Personally I think it's an untapped market. Sure it would be a copycat of GWL and others, but that's no good reason NOT to do it. Part of the reason DisneyQuest failed is because its market was too narrow. My wife is as big of a Disney fan as you'll find but she has zero desire to set foot in the DQ in Florida.

Start with the Great Wolf Lodge concept: nicely-themed hotel with an indoor waterpark. Add a couple restaurants--one with a princess character breakfast and the other with the Fab 5 at dinner. Then add a few virtual attractions. Maybe something like CyberSpace Mountain or the PotC rider from DisneyQuest. (DQ may have been a failure as a regional arcade but there's no reason not to bring some of the features into a different venture.) Perhaps they could build a new attraction around the Toy Story Mania concept without need for the moving ride vehicles. If they really want to be bold, they could add a dark ride right in the resort--perhaps something like Buzz Lightyear which has high replay value.

Add a modest DVC component to the resort and point sales could fund the majority of construction costs.

I can't see a concept like that hurting the parks much, if at all. In fact, it could help expose new people to Disney entertainment and prompt visits to WDW or DL.

nytimez
09-08-2010, 11:33 PM
Hilton Head and Vero are timeshares. Their contributions to Disney's bottom line pretty much ended about 10 years ago. Aulani is the real test to see if Disney will go further with off-site destinations. Still, it's not exactly the concept that they floated a few years ago.

The term was "regional entertainment complex", or something along those lines. However they phrased it, it prompted me to make the connection to GWL. Aulani really isn't more than your typical Hawaii resort/timeshare with Disney touches and a couple character meals.

National Harbor may or may not even get off the drawing board.

Personally I think it's an untapped market. Sure it would be a copycat of GWL and others, but that's no good reason NOT to do it. Part of the reason DisneyQuest failed is because its market was too narrow. My wife is as big of a Disney fan as you'll find but she has zero desire to set foot in the DQ in Florida.

Start with the Great Wolf Lodge concept: nicely-themed hotel with an indoor waterpark. Add a couple restaurants--one with a princess character breakfast and the other with the Fab 5 at dinner. Then add a few virtual attractions. Maybe something like CyberSpace Mountain or the PotC rider from DisneyQuest. (DQ may have been a failure as a regional arcade but there's no reason not to bring some of the features into a different venture.) Perhaps they could build a new attraction around the Toy Story Mania concept without need for the moving ride vehicles. If they really want to be bold, they could add a dark ride right in the resort--perhaps something like Buzz Lightyear which has high replay value.

Add a modest DVC component to the resort and point sales could fund the majority of construction costs.

I can't see a concept like that hurting the parks much, if at all. In fact, it could help expose new people to Disney entertainment and prompt visits to WDW or DL.

they do that too. It's called Disney Cruise Lines.

tjkraz
09-08-2010, 11:45 PM
they do that too. It's called Disney Cruise Lines.

Except that many people have to travel 1000-3000 miles in order to cruise...not to mention the high overhead cost of cruising.

I'm talking about something that's more accessible to folks across the country. We have a GWL and a Kalahari within about an hour's drive of our home. And we usually visit one or the other for 1-2 nights every six months or so.

With the Disney name and theme parks' reputation, IMO Disney could easily eclipse the competition in that market. There is a segment of the vacation market that it is very difficult for Disney to capture when their businesses are 1000+ miles away from many US residents and they charging $250+ per person for a multi-day theme park ticket.

Give me a Disney-fied Great Wolf Lodge within reasonable driving distance for $250-350 per night and they've got my money. And probably for more than 2 nights per year.

Make it a place where I can use my DVC points and so much the better.

Cogswel_Cogs
09-09-2010, 09:58 AM
Disney would have been smart to jump on the indoor water park concept yeas ago(IMO). But now it is to muddied.
I cannot understand why someone does not build one closer to NYC though.
I guess they have to be far enough away that people wouldn't opt to drive home.

nytimez
09-09-2010, 10:02 AM
Disney would have been smart to jump on the indoor water park concept yeas ago(IMO). But now it is to muddied.
I cannot understand why someone does not build one closer to NYC though.
I guess they have to be far enough away that people wouldn't opt to drive home.

My guess is that there are two factors against building an indoor water park/hotel/resort in NYC: Astronomical real estate prices and the amount of space you need to build it.

Throw in the fact that your indoor water park would have to compete with all the other entertainment options in the city, and it's a pretty big financial gamble.

LoveToDisney
09-09-2010, 11:24 AM
If indeed Disney purchased the 100 acres that have been rumored back in 2006-2008 and has not sold it, is that enough to do a park on it? It could be something like Tokyo DisneySea that does not have a Magic Kingdom aspect to it and chooses the best rides/attractions from other parks.
Silver Dollar City is nice but does not compare to the themed rides that Disney or Universal can do. There are a TON of people that travel to Branson each year. Plus, Disney would make the park "accessible" which SDC is not. The hilly terrain alone in SDC make it a park that not all can do.
Plus, Disney does fireworks like no one else. I would love that, too.

tjkraz
09-09-2010, 11:49 AM
If indeed Disney purchased the 100 acres that have been rumored back in 2006-2008 and has not sold it...

Not possible. The purchase would have been revealed in SEC filings or company annual reports.

The days of Disney buying thousands of acres of Florida land in secret are pretty much over.

If Disney had bought land in Branson, they would have done exactly what they did with National Harbor in MD--announce it publicly so that local business and lawmakers are on notice. Disney would be using its name and reputation to get tax abatements and other concessions from local governments and to drive businesses to open support services in the area. All of that with no promise of ever building, of course. ;)

tlbwriter
09-09-2010, 11:54 AM
Except that many people have to travel 1000-3000 miles in order to cruise...not to mention the high overhead cost of cruising.

I'm talking about something that's more accessible to folks across the country. We have a GWL and a Kalahari within about an hour's drive of our home. And we usually visit one or the other for 1-2 nights every six months or so.

With the Disney name and theme parks' reputation, IMO Disney could easily eclipse the competition in that market. There is a segment of the vacation market that it is very difficult for Disney to capture when their businesses are 1000+ miles away from many US residents and they charging $250+ per person for a multi-day theme park ticket.

Give me a Disney-fied Great Wolf Lodge within reasonable driving distance for $250-350 per night and they've got my money. And probably for more than 2 nights per year.

No kidding. I don't go to Disney every year, but you put something like this within a 4-hr drive, and I will BE THERE on an annual basis. And Branson has already shown that people are willing to travel there. I don't know if anything like this is ever going to be built, but it would rock my world.

lockedoutlogic
09-10-2010, 11:02 AM
When pigs fly...

CandyMandy
09-13-2010, 12:33 PM
The Disney MO is not to open destination parks/resorts in areas that aren't year-round toursim hubs. Branson is not; both of the two existing parks there (Silver Dollar City and Dollywood) close during the winter, starting in January through mid to late March and wouldn't do that if market demand was present.

Disneyland Paris is the closest Disney has ever come to trying to run a year round park in a region with a "true" winter (the one Disney Tokyo experiences is mild in comparison) and the results have been so-so: attendance at the Paris resort drops significantly during the January-April timeframe.

Lewisc
09-13-2010, 02:32 PM
My guess is that there are two factors against building an indoor water park/hotel/resort in NYC: Astronomical real estate prices and the amount of space you need to build it.

Throw in the fact that your indoor water park would have to compete with all the other entertainment options in the city, and it's a pretty big financial gamble.

There is a Great Wolf Lodge in the Poconos, 2-3 hours from NYC.

There was a plan for a water park, possibly some of it indoors, in Randall's Island. The idea of using public park land for a private water park had some "issues". The project didn't get financing (2007).

The project was going to be run by the Aquatic Development Group. They did a lot of the design work for Disney, Six Flags etc.

Disney was going to be Disney Quest's in major cities. That's ancient history.

skiingfast
09-13-2010, 02:46 PM
Disneyland Paris is the closest Disney has ever come to trying to run a year round park in a region with a "true" winter (the one Disney Tokyo experiences is mild in comparison) and the results have been so-so: attendance at the Paris resort drops significantly during the January-April timeframe.

You have been to a US Disney park right? They aren't as busy September through May as they are June through August. Paris isn't alone is this seasonal phenomenom.

Horace Horsecollar
09-13-2010, 02:59 PM
You have been to a US Disney park right? They aren't as busy September through May as they are June through August. Paris isn't alone is this seasonal phenomenom.
Yes, all Disney parks have seasonal variations in attendance. Families with children tend to travel when school is not in session.

However, the U.S. parks have a lot to offer when kids are in school compared to the Paris parks.

The Florida parks do very well in late winter and early spring because of they're in a great location to offer an escape from the cold weather in much of the United States and Canada at that time. It's the best weather of the year in Orlando.

The California parks offer a terrific year-round climate. Also, there's a huge base of local annual passholders and other local guests to keep the turnstiles clicking all year.

At Disneyland Paris, it's not much fun to walk around in sleet during January and February.

Branson had built a successful niche as a seasonal, regional destination. But it's hard to make a case that Branson has what it takes to be a successful location for a full-fledged Disney destination.

lockedoutlogic
09-13-2010, 04:08 PM

In 1980 perhaps....but you know as well as any that WDW in particular has invested much time and marketing money to flesh out the full year calender and make it a 365 day draw...

And they have largely suceeded. of course september is rather slow...as are parts of nov, dec, jan, feb, and even may...but on the whole they have enough "special events", promotions, conventioners, and off-season repeat customers now to make their attendance pretty strong....

Comparitively...while still the largest in terms of volume...the summer has not seemed (through admittedly limited experience as a traveler...but several years at a resort location) as bad as the legendary 2.5 hour for pirates wait times that were experienced in the early days of WDW. Not that it still isn't the busiest time...but there are few times on the calendar where you can even reasonably assume not to encounter heavy crowds anymore.

And the weather is still not much of a factor in Orlando (frigid-esque winters the last two years aside)...and that is not the case in Missouri.

This will never happen...disney has encounter attendance issues now...in just the two US locations. The crash of the sham economy is the primary culprit....but isn't it possible that they have kinda become a little too widely traveled and that the sheen is wearing off for some travelers as well? Everybody i know now goes to WDW (or an extremely high percentage of them) at some point...with an ever growing proportion going with greater frequency. that's how disney wanted it. but maybe the side effect is that they will wear it out on the public? A section of the public will never go...nothing will change that. Those that can...do...in increasing numbers. It actually could get old (i know...heresy!!!)

Just a thought...

EMom
09-26-2010, 03:02 AM
I've been to Paris twice in mid to late April. The first time it was unusually hot....low 90s. The second time, it freaking snowed and we froze our rears off. :rotfl2: You are not going to get SNOW in DL or WDW in April. Paris is another matter.

Oglet
09-26-2010, 08:10 AM
It would surprise me to to ever see another Disney park in any form here in the US. Why compete against yourself when you can simply add to what you already have.

If people want Disney they usually either end up at WDW or DL, packages, discounts and the sheer number of flights going to both destinations make it very easy to get on a plane and get to either location.

I have CM's friends who quite often finish work and fly out to DL for 2 days and Fly back home to Orlando to go to work the next day. Actually just a few weeks ago 2 of them hit each of the 4 parks here riding one ride at each park then they caught a plane to DL and rode 1 ride at each of the two parks there all in 1 day (talk about park hopping)

yitbos96bb
09-27-2010, 12:52 AM
It would surprise me to to ever see another Disney park in any form here in the US. Why compete against yourself when you can simply add to what you already have.

If people want Disney they usually either end up at WDW or DL, packages, discounts and the sheer number of flights going to both destinations make it very easy to get on a plane and get to either location.

I have CM's friends who quite often finish work and fly out to DL for 2 days and Fly back home to Orlando to go to work the next day. Actually just a few weeks ago 2 of them hit each of the 4 parks here riding one ride at each park then they caught a plane to DL and rode 1 ride at each of the two parks there all in 1 day (talk about park hopping)

Why are you people responding to a thread 3 years old with no semblance of reality? This is about as true as Walt's frozen head.

tlbwriter
09-27-2010, 09:22 AM

But they could make a smaller regional park that doesn't compete against either WDW or DL. Your friends who fly to a park for a 2 day visit are the exception, not the norm. Most people who fly to a vacation destination spend more than 2 days there.

Why are you people responding to a thread 3 years old with no semblance of reality?

Because it amuses us?

TripTime
10-14-2010, 10:54 PM
i believe it when Disney makes it official. Disney would own the actual state of texas if you believed every rumor that bought property there.

works for me!

SPBendersky
10-17-2010, 09:15 PM
Why would they embark on another in the US. Seems to me that there will be dilution in an aging population and that it wil take some time to build unless it is to be a specific theme.

Rotciv105
10-17-2010, 09:21 PM
I can't wait to live near the parks. Probably happens just before hell freezes over so I muse a lot over the distance I am from them. If I were a prognosticator working for WD I'd be thinking that as transportation becomes more of an issue from more dificult air services and pricey fuel I'd be looking for more destinations of WD proximate to my customers. I think Branson might be one in a series. I'd love a WD Northeast Kingdom somewhere near Boston. I realize there are many reasons to nay say, but I think the day will come when you could even hop the Wonder out of New York and go for a day in the parks with in 2 hours of Boston. Just imagine how bummed airline execs would be over loosing all that revenue to people paying the money directly to the happiest place on earth at a location near you.