PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter pre-sale; best deal?

jeankeri
04-13-2007, 03:35 PM
What is the best deal going for the Harry Potter presale? Last time I ordered through Overstock, but I also had a credit at the time that added to my 'deal'. What has everyone seen for prices so far?

Gillennj
04-13-2007, 03:40 PM
I think BN has a deal where if you pre-order now, you will only be charged the lowest price that comes up btw now and July. I don't know if it's their best price, or the lowest price anywhere.

As for myself, I don't trust having it shipped. I need to pick it up myself that day :)

bicker
04-13-2007, 04:16 PM
I found the best deal for book #6 was picking it up myself on the day the book is released, at the Stop & Shop supermarket.

crjack
04-13-2007, 04:37 PM
I can't wait until the last book comes out!! I have a Barnes & Noble membership card and I love it......great discounts throughout the year. They typically have very competitive prices as well.

I also can't wait for shipping.....I'll be stopping by the store the day it comes out as well.

Lisa_M
04-13-2007, 04:51 PM
I just pre-ordered it through a Barnes & Noble store for my little sister. I think it will be 18-20 dollars when it comes out.

According to Amazon's site, if you order from them, they will guarantee it arrives on the 21st by 7pm (your local time zone) or it's free, but you have to get standard shipping ($3).

ah1126
04-13-2007, 05:25 PM
I pre ordered from Wal-mart for $17.97 with $0.97 shipping. It is suppost to be delivered on the day it is released! Can't wait!

Nynaeve
04-13-2007, 06:14 PM
Last year my hubby pre-oredered it for me for my birthday through Borders for 18.00 or so. He even gave me a HP themed GC from Borders to buy it with, I saved the GC too. And, I went the day it was released to pick it up, no waiting for shipping. :goodvibes

We'll probably do the same thing this year too. :)

feedindy
04-13-2007, 07:15 PM
I ordered it through Amazon. They have a deal where they give you the lowest price between when you order and when it is released. If it drops below 40% off, I'll still get that price. Also, I preordered another book that comes out a month prior at the same time. Even though they will ship seperately, that qualified me for free shipping so I'm happy.

englishteacha
04-13-2007, 08:23 PM
Last time, I sauntered into Walmart and bought it there the day after it was released. It was the cheapest price anywhere in our area. They offered a preorder in the stores to guarantee you'd get one, but they had hundreds left the next day! They gave an incentive to preorder, I think a free 8x10 at the photo studio or something.

ang
04-13-2007, 08:59 PM
One time I pre order it for pick up..toyrus..the last time I went to walmart when it first open! I had to have it right then to start reading:lmao: . I also, can't wait for my mail to be delivered! I read 3/4 of book by then.:lmao:

Adi12982
04-13-2007, 09:04 PM
The best deal is to not buy HP at all, and just hope that he dies. xD

WOW - that was incredibly helpful and had to do with what the OP was asking. . . .

LadyBears
04-13-2007, 09:55 PM
For me, the best deal is Stop & Shop. Is it a little more expensive? Yes, but only by a dollar or so.

BUT:

1) I don't have to wait for the mail man to deliver it. My mail doesn't get here until LATE afternoon (usually after 5pm!)

2)If I go to a brick & morter store to get it cheaper (such as Walmart), I have to either wait until morning when the store opens to get it, or drive 20 minutes to the closest store that would be open at midnight & either way, it would cost more than $2.00 in gas money to get there so in the end I would be "paying" more.

3)When I go to Stop & Shop, since it is open 24 hours - I am home by 12:15 & already reading the new book!!

hddanis
04-13-2007, 11:31 PM
Today I reserved my 4 copies (no that's not a typo). 3 books and 1 audio CD at Barnes and Noble..We don't share and not one of us is patient enough to wait for the others to finish it!!!! We do (and will) go to the midnight release party and have a blast. Once we get our books we head to the van and throw one of the CDs in and have the first chapter listened to by the time we get home. I will put the audio version on DH's MP3 player so he can listen to it on his commute. Then it will go on both DD's (and my) MP3 players so we can all listen to it all over again...yes we are obsessed with Harry in this house.

BTW, If anyone HASN'T listened to Jim Dale's audio version I HIGHLY recommend it. (Especially the 6th book..he had me in tears with his reading when Harry and Dumbledore retreived that horcrux)

As for the cheapest price to have it delivered..I think both Costco and Walmart are around $17 or so...My UPS guy comes too late in the day for us

jmlaw
04-13-2007, 11:35 PM
Target usually is pretty competitive on price when it comes out. If you go in now and buy a $10 card for the book, you are guaranteed a copy when it comes out and you get the $10 you spend now put toward the purchase of the book.

ang
04-14-2007, 08:50 AM
[quote=hddanis;18119059]Today I reserved my 4 copies (no that's not a typo). 3 books and 1 audio CD at Barnes and Noble..We don't share and not one of us is patient enough to wait for the others to finish it!!!! We do (and will) go to the midnight release party and have a blast. Once we get our books we head to the van and throw one of the CDs in and have the first chapter listened to by the time we get home. I will put the audio version on DH's MP3 player so he can listen to it on his commute. Then it will go on both DD's (and my) MP3 players so we can all listen to it all over again...yes we are obsessed with Harry in this house.

BTW, If anyone HASN'T listened to Jim Dale's audio version I HIGHLY recommend it. (Especially the 6th book..he had me in tears with his reading when Harry and Dumbledore retreived that horcrux)

I am ordering mine form borders.
Jim Dale's audio is excellent! My kids love to listen to them! We have them all.

bethie
04-14-2007, 08:51 AM
The best deal is to not buy HP at all, and just hope that he dies. xD

How kind.:confused3

bicker
04-14-2007, 08:56 AM
Wow. I didn't expect to see a second vote for Stop & Shop. Go team!!! :cheer2:

Lisa_M
04-14-2007, 09:04 AM
Wow. I didn't expect to see a second vote for Stop & Shop. Go team!!! :cheer2:

What's a stop & shop? One of those drive through convenience stores? I haven't seen any around here....

bicker
04-14-2007, 09:46 AM
Stop & Shop is one of the big supermarket chains here. Like A&P, Albertson's, Goodings, Grand Union, Shop Rite, etc.

annakris1973
04-14-2007, 10:16 AM
I am also one of those crazy people who likes to go to the B&N release party, although with book 6 I found it easier and cheaper to walk in to Walmart the next morning and pick one up...but definately not as entertaining.

maggiew
04-14-2007, 10:21 AM

I agree. This is the only way I "read" the books.

I think he has won an award for his reading of the Harry Potter books.

Maggie

ceecee
04-14-2007, 12:17 PM
Target usually is pretty competitive on price when it comes out. If you go in now and buy a $10 card for the book, you are guaranteed a copy when it comes out and you get the $10 you spend now put toward the purchase of the book.

A gift card? Tell me more.

Lan
04-14-2007, 12:47 PM
For book 6, I went to Wal-mart around 11:30 and waited with less than 20 people to get the book at midnight. I will do that again.

gottaluvdis
04-14-2007, 12:56 PM
I pre ordered from Wal-mart for $17.97 with $0.97 shipping. It is suppost to be delivered on the day it is released! Can't wait!

I'll go to Wal-Mart the day it's released and pick it up for $17.97 (that's the same price they charged for Book #6). That way, I don't have to wait for my mail to arrive. Our Wal-Mart is open 24 hours, so I'll probably pick it up on my way to work that day.

juibarra
04-14-2007, 01:27 PM

I had also pre-ordereded HP6 with Walmart and thought it was worth paying the $0.97 instead of driving to Walmart that morning. However....

I also ordered the Artemis Fowl 5 when I pre-ordeded HP and this book did not arrive in time. In fact it arrived about a week after it was due to arrive. By then I had called Walmart to cancel the Artemis Fowl 5 and the HP6 pre-order. Walmart used a mailing service system that I was not familiar with. First it went through UPS then through USPS and it was confusing and hard to track.

AA1126 I do hope you get your book on time. Perhaps they will stick with UPS only since it is supposed to arrive 7/21. I think I will go to Walmart right before midnight this year. I am sure my son will be done reading it by then end of the day. :thumbsup2

When HP 5 came out, I pre-ordered via a book store on Ebay and this was a nightmare. I ended up going to Walmart that morning and there were many books in stock.

Stew_Mouse
04-14-2007, 06:32 PM
Just wanted to give a shout out about the independent bookstores in your area! They may not be able to offer the best price, but your investment in their business is much more appreciated than at any of the big box stores. Plus, Harry Potter sales can keep a fledgling bookstore alive for another year. I understand that not everyone can afford this option, but if you can...Just a thought! ;)

bumbershoot
04-14-2007, 09:09 PM
Well... I worked customer service at amazon.com from '99 to '02, through at least one HP release. Yikes. And then I switched to the Electronics and Home Improvement side (dealing with contractors ordering $8000 table saws and paying $200 in shipping that takes 2 weeks who were totally Zen about their orders), and HEARD, from across the room, the BooksMusicVideo reps catching Hades from callers about the next book. Aughhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I refuse to get into the have-it-first thing, because I don't want to be any of the people who were calling us! :scared: And it's WAY too easy to go from "it's fun to have it first" to "I'll put my crying disappointed children on the phone with the CS rep so she feels bad b/c I ordered too late/didn't read the fine print to see that I'm out of the day-of delivery area/my UPS guy broke his leg and couldn't deliver on time/[and the occasional] amazon messed up [in which case we would compensate]"..........
:sad2:

So anyway, once I got the bad taste of THAT experience out of my mouth, I got WAY into the Scholastic paperback versions of the books, so that put me reading it about 6 months later than everyone else anyway.

Then after I read the 3rd book (remember I started late) I started helping with CS at amazon.co.uk (yes, they had American reps helping...getting the spelling right was interesting!) and realized that the UK versions are different from the US version, and the cover art is WONDERFUL. Not childish like the US versions. And they have different versions, one for children and one for adults (I do NOT know what the child versions are like).

So the second half of our collection is UK hardbacks.

Therefore, my "good" deal will be over 31 bucks, with almost half of that be in shipping costs. :upsidedow

jeankeri
04-15-2007, 01:47 PM
Thanks for all the great replies. My boys are not 'have-to-have-it' types, so waiting for delivery is not an issue for us. At our libraries count down party they raffled off the chance to borrow their copies, and my DS went home with a library copy that night. So, we will be trying our luck at that, then waiting for delivery. :thumbsup2

branv
04-15-2007, 02:56 PM
So good that your boys aren't have to have it types...though this 33 year old sure is when it comes to the HP books :lmao: I guess I should take a lesson from their patience, I just about give myself a stroke running back and forth from the house to the mailbox on release day.

The problem is that I never get the book until around 4 or 5 pm, then I stay up the ENTIRE night reading, finishing the book around 6 or 7 am. I simply can't put it down until I know what happens (Though it causes one monster of a headache and freaky red eyes). I noticed every time I've gone to Costco the day after release there are a TON of books, so on July 21st I'm just going to walk into Costco in the a.m. and pick up my HP...for fairly cheap too. That way I can start early and hopefully finish it and get to bed before 2 am :thumbsup2 (Thank goodness they release these things on the weekend!)

kellia
04-16-2007, 09:09 AM
We pre-ordered from Amazon because I had a credit there! We got the last book from them, too, and it came the morning it was released via USPS.

FYI- I have preordered from Overstock (books, dvds) in the past and it took 2-3 weeks after the release date for me to get it.

Bibbidy Bobbidy Boo
04-16-2007, 12:18 PM
I'll be at Walmart at midnight to get 2 copies, will read for a couple hours, then go to bed, then we'll have to have time slots for the 4 of us to read the 2 books over the weekend. Plus, I'm not watching any tv or radio till I"m done reading it, as I would be FURIOUS to hear some spoilsport leak the ending. (And there is always someone willing to do that!- what is wrong with people that like to spoil things for others? I don't understand it)

kellia
04-16-2007, 12:51 PM
I'll be at Walmart at midnight to get 2 copies, will read for a couple hours, then go to bed, then we'll have to have time slots for the 4 of us to read the 2 books over the weekend. Plus, I'm not watching any tv or radio till I"m done reading it, as I would be FURIOUS to hear some spoilsport leak the ending. (And there is always someone willing to do that!- what is wrong with people that like to spoil things for others? I don't understand it)

I would NEVER ruin the ending for anyone, but I fully admit I plan on turning to the back page as soon as we get it! My 11 yo dd (Harry Potter fanatic) will take too long to finish the darn book, and since it is her b-day gift, I guess I should let her read it first. :rolleyes: