PDA

View Full Version : Just back from Coronado Springs

bluwater
04-08-2007, 11:39 AM
I just want to write a note of thanks to everyone who offered advice about CS resort (especially Buzz). We just returned this morning!

This was my first on-site visit and I was very skeptical because the rate was so high (Peak) and I prefer to get deals on luxury hotels or villas. Paying peak rack rate just isn't something I'd normally do. But, booking a last-minute trip to WDW during Easter week leaves no room for negotiation. When I called to see what rooms Disney had available for my desired dates, this resort was it! So, we booked it and now I feel like we got lucky.

CS really was a lovely resort with many more amenities than I could have taken advantage of in my 5 nights there. We stayed in Cabanas 8A and it was just perfect!! We were a short stroll from the main lobby and the restaurants (which we didn't use at all).....overlooking the beach and the lake....just around the corner fro the main pool....and our bldg was directly across the lot from bus stop #4. I can't imagine a better location. This was my requested location, and it was honored.

I only wish we'd had more time to take advantage of the resort...the bikes...the boats.....the restaurant....

The busses were always there within 3 minutes and we only stood on the bus once - great for Easter week, I suspect. We did not share busses with any other resorts.

The pool was exceptional and never seemed too crowded. We always found chairs and chatted with friendly and relaxed guests. Children were all well-behaved and the pool never felt overrun with children - yet, they were having a ball. My DD9 loved that slide soooo much!! She met a friend and hung out one afternoon. I enjoyed Mexican beer and margaritas from the poolside bar. The hot tub was large and always had plenty of space for everyone....and was quiet and adult....the kids were too busy on the slide to be bothered with the hot tub. The sand playground was huge and a big hit. They served nacho platters by the pool, which my DD loved.

The resort was much nicer than I'd expected. It was really more than I needed for just my DD and I and our 5 night adventure. I found myself feeling torn between just staying at the resort and going to the parks.

The room was okay - nothing special. Beds were very comfortable and well padded. Sheets were soft. Pillows were fluffy and felt new. I am very, very picky about beds, sheets and pillows.....so pleasing me in this area is no small task and I've been known to head to a store and buy sheets for a vacation bed if it doesn't feel good to me (of course, for longer vacations).

I also noted that we never heard anyone going by our room. I was very leery about staying in a resort with exterior doors because I imagined that I'd hear kids running by or people wheeling their suitcases by. I never heard anyone! I then realized that there are so many stairs and various halls/walkways that people can get to their rooms without going by too many doors to other rooms. The layout minimizes the traffic in front of the rooms. I also couldn't hear any noise from the rooms aside mine.

The CS resort was so nice because it was so serene and relaxing. I'd never imagined that a Disney resort could feel that way. I'd imagined kids running everywhere, crowds of people, etc. This wasn't like that at all. I'd recommend this resort for parents like me....people who want to add some serenity and tranquility to their Disney experience. I really felt like I was escaping the crowded parks when I went to the resort...like I could breathe....and I saw people asleep or reading in the hammocks along the beach.

I've read other DIS people saying that this resort is too large for their taste....but I'm not sure how that plays in since you don't really need to use the entire resort. I was only concerned about my room's area, the pool and the main building....and I was not concerned about where all of the other guest rooms were since I wasn't visiting them. My room was so close to the main bldg, bus stop and pool....and nothing else mattered to me. So, yes, the resort is large...but if you get a room in the right area, you'll only need to be concerned with 1/4 of the resort...so the rest doesn't matter.

So, thanks to everyone who helped me feel good about this choice. It was better than expected!!

Buzz2001
04-08-2007, 11:50 AM
Welcome back! Cabana 8a is my favorite spot too!! I love it! Glad you enjoyed the resort. Our first stay was only 5 days and I felt the same way, that it wasn't enough time to enjoy it all, nine trips later and I still feel the same.

Did you happen to notice any construction going on with Francisco's or a new bar being constructed outside of the main building??

bluwater
04-08-2007, 01:57 PM
Buzz,

That's what I mean about not getting use of the resort...I have no idea where or what Francisco's is :guilty:

I can say that I didn't see any construction at all. We did walk all the way down to the hallway that leads from the lobby area to the Maya Grill. I even bought a bottle of wine in the little convenience store and the lady was kind enough to offer to cork it and supplied me with a couple of glasses. DD and I enjoyed getting the sandwiches from there and putting them into our room fridge for late night munchies when we returned from the parks. Sicne we ate our dinners around 4pm, we were hungry by 10...and the sandwiches were great for the before bed "somehting". (so was the wine for me!)

cheesehead7
04-08-2007, 01:58 PM
I was there March 27-31 and there was a barrier up right outside the building where Francisco's and the Pepper Market are. It had a sign that said Under construction. I never saw or heard anything though.

bab31
04-08-2007, 06:05 PM
Thanks for the nice report- we were at CSR in January and loved it, we were in casitas 3 near the pepper market.

Buzz2001
04-08-2007, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the nice report- we were at CSR in January and loved it, we were in casitas 3 near the pepper market.Thanks!

10drum
04-08-2007, 06:48 PM
Hi neighbor, we were in 8143 of 8a last week, and I just posted a trip report also. DW and I both had a wonderful time, our 2nd stay at CSR and 1st without kids. We missed having our kids with us but they were staying at an offsite motel with their high school band. Get AAA, it saved us 15%, and well worth the $54 bi-annual dues. Our room total was about $176/nite (tax included), and compared to the lowest rate of $189/nite + tax for BC/YC during value season, I think CSR was a good value, rooms are not quite as nice, but everything else is.

RKO1968
04-08-2007, 09:38 PM
Welcome back! Thanks for posting!

Lilolvr
04-09-2007, 05:33 AM
The pool was exceptional and never seemed too crowded. We always found chairs and chatted with friendly and relaxed guests. Children were all well-behaved and the pool never felt overrun with children - yet, they were having a ball. My DD9 loved that slide soooo much!! She met a friend and hung out one afternoon. I enjoyed Mexican beer and margaritas from the poolside bar. The hot tub was large and always had plenty of space for everyone....and was quiet and adult....the kids were too busy on the slide to be bothered with the hot tub. The sand playground was huge and a big hit. They served nacho platters by the pool, which my DD loved.Thanks for sharing your experience! Glad to read that there were no ooglers.

7nqb00
04-09-2007, 08:13 AM
Thanks for sharing! CSR is one of my favorite resorts!

Buzz2001
04-09-2007, 10:27 AM
Buzz,

That's what I mean about not getting use of the resort...I have no idea where or what Francisco's is :guilty: No problem, I was just wondering.

Buzz2001
04-09-2007, 11:06 AM
I was there March 27-31 and there was a barrier up right outside the building where Francisco's and the Pepper Market are. It had a sign that said Under construction. I never saw or heard anything though.Thanks!

tinawv
04-09-2007, 11:08 AM
I've read other DIS people saying that this resort is too large for their taste....but I'm not sure how that plays in since you don't really need to use the entire resort. I was only concerned about my room's area, the pool and the main building....and I was not concerned about where all of the other guest rooms were since I wasn't visiting them. My room was so close to the main bldg, bus stop and pool....and nothing else mattered to me. So, yes, the resort is large...but if you get a room in the right area, you'll only need to be concerned with 1/4 of the resort...so the rest doesn't matter.

So, thanks to everyone who helped me feel good about this choice. It was better than expected!!

Thats for the great review. CSR is a beautiful resort, but not everyone may be lucky enough to get there room requests (i.e. close to the main building, bus stop, and pool). If you are not lucky enough to get your room requests, and it is not a guarantee, than you would difinently have to consider the largeness of the resort. For some people this may not be a concern, but for others it may play a very important part. :)

Buzz2001
04-09-2007, 11:13 AM
Thats for the great review. CSR is a beautiful resort, but not everyone may be lucky enough to get there room requests (i.e. close to the main building, bus stop, and pool). If you are not lucky enough to get your room requests, and it is not a guarantee, than you would difinently have to consider the largeness of the resort. For some people this may not be a concern, but for others it may play a very important part. :)That's true of any large mod resort.

tinawv
04-09-2007, 11:24 AM
That's true of any large mod resort.

You are correct, and some resorts are larger than others. I was just trying to point out that this may be concern for some people, and that you may not always get your room requests. :)

heather360
04-09-2007, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the report. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay. Now I'm really getting excited about our trip in December. It seems so far away.

I was happy to see that you didn't have lots of people walking by your room. Were you on the 1st or 2nd floor?

Thanks

msn4693
04-09-2007, 01:01 PM
Sounds like a great trip! Thanks for sharing!

Buzz'sBetterHalf
04-09-2007, 03:50 PM
Great review, welcome home!!

tink&donald
04-09-2007, 04:59 PM
Buzz,

DH and I just returned from WDW last week. We went over to CSR to take a look since we have never stayed there. There was some construction going on still. If you walk straight through the front door to go out the back toward the lake, there was a large wall with signs that said "pardon our dust." Since I have never been there before, I am not sure what was being renovated, but I know that we had to walk down the sidewalk to our right to get a look at the lake and rooms.

Schucraig
04-09-2007, 07:37 PM
Glad to hear you had a great time!:)

Buzz2001
04-10-2007, 05:33 AM
Buzz,

DH and I just returned from WDW last week. We went over to CSR to take a look since we have never stayed there. There was some construction going on still. If you walk straight through the front door to go out the back toward the lake, there was a large wall with signs that said "pardon our dust." Since I have never been there before, I am not sure what was being renovated, but I know that we had to walk down the sidewalk to our right to get a look at the lake and rooms.Thanks!!