PDA

View Full Version : Fort Wilderness Cabins vs. POR for party of 5

rentayenta
04-07-2007, 10:43 PM
I am looking for any/all info from size of the cabin/room, comfort of the bed(s), dining, transportation times, grounds keeping, aesthetics, pools, anything you got, I want. There are 2 adults and 3 children (10, 8, and 5).

The POR is $1,000 more for 9 nights? Having never been to either, what do you think?

Thanks! :thumbsup2

rie'smom
04-07-2007, 11:07 PM
I'd go for Fort Wilderness. There's a kitchen,a separate master bedroom with bunk beds and the living room has a murphy bed.There's also a deck and a grill. It's very comfortable. There's a campfire with movies and smores everynight. The s'mores kits are 5.00 or bring your own and it's free. Chip and Dale show up too. I never had any transportation problems. My kids loved taking the motor launch to the MK.
This is the layout of the cabin and at 504 sq ft(not including the deck),it's the largest room,except for suites.
http://www.************travel.com/images/disney/wdw_logos/resort_logos/fp_fortwilderness_cabin_250.gif

Port Orleans is a regular hotel room and is only 314 sq ft.
http://www.************travel.com/images/disney/wdw_logos/resort_logos/fp_po_riverside_250.gif

elijahpep
04-07-2007, 11:17 PM
ITA! The cabins are great! And check out renting a golf cart. This will make the trip even more spectacular with kids.

The golf cart is great for those EMH before the parks open, to run and go get a pizza at night, for picking up those great Disney purchases at the trading post and surprising the kiddies after a long day of parks, watching the fireworks on the beach and the water light parade. Even great for taking to the pool (especially if you have laundry to do, which is at the pool). The price for the golf cart will save you great amounts of time in getting to the boats and the kids will love it. If you get the golf cart, always pack a towel in a plastic bag in case it rains so you can wipe it dry.

The cabins feel private as well. No one walking or jumping above you, you don't have to worry about how loud your kids get, really private and quiet, and nightime on the decks are so peaceful you can just sit and talk about the wonderful day you've had or in the morning take in all the wilderness view with a cup of joe.

With the kitchen, you can fix a great breakfast and do quick meals at dinner before or after doing the big meals at the parks. We pack dry goods with us and hit the trading post for bacon, eggs, milk, etc. This saves a lot of money and makes it a homier holiday.

Ask on your ressie to be close to the pool and near the front. If you don't rent the cart this will help tired little feet not have to walk so far to the back of the row of cabins.

Enjoy your stay wherever you decide, but the cabins are incredible. Kids in the back, parents in the front. And for the rainy afternoons and rest time there are 2 tvs.

~DW:3dglasses

tinaluis
04-07-2007, 11:19 PM
Are you sure the cabins are $1,000 less than POR? Anytime I've gotten a quote on the cabins it's been at least $1,000 higher than a moderate.

rentayenta
04-07-2007, 11:23 PM
I'd go for Fort Wilderness. There's a kitchen,a separate master bedroom with bunk beds and the living room has a murphy bed.There's also a deck and a grill. It's very comfortable. There's a campfire with movies and smores everynight. The s'mores kits are 5.00 or bring your own and it's free. Chip and Dale show up too. I never had any transportation problems. My kids loved taking the motor launch to the MK.
This is the layout of the cabin and at 504 sq ft(not including the deck),it's the largest room,except for suites.
http://www.************travel.com/images/disney/wdw_logos/resort_logos/fp_fortwilderness_cabin_250.gif

Port Orleans is a regular hotel room and is only 314 sq ft.
http://www.************travel.com/images/disney/wdw_logos/resort_logos/fp_po_riverside_250.gif

Thank you rie'smom! Just the type of info I am looking for. So it's a scheduled campfire? Very cute, I bet your kids loved it! What is the motor launch?

We are planning on taking advantage of the DDP but since there are kitchens at the FW cabins, is there someplace near to buy a milk, snacks, and stuff?

Do either the POR or FW cabins have coffee makers in the rooms? What about eateries at either place?

Thanks eliajahpep, the golf cart sounds fun. I also like the idea of a little privacy but still being submerged in the magic! Breakfast in the room also sounds nicer than the usual PopTarts or cereal. Where do you park the golf cart?

tinaluis, I am positive. I plugged in my dates online and the FW cabins came up $1000 cheaper.

elijahpep
04-07-2007, 11:26 PM
cabins have full kitchens that have everything you need but food.
food can be purchased at the trading post.

rie'smom
04-07-2007, 11:31 PM
The motor launch is the boat from FW to the MK.
Yes,there's a Trading Post to buy groceries and souviniers.
I know FW has a coffee maker.
There's The Trail's End Restaurant which has a great all you can eat buffet.
Crockett's Tavern has beverages and snacks such as pizza, quesadillas, etc. It's in Pioneer Hall.
These 2 websites have lots of info on Fort Wilderness:
http://home.hiwaay.net/~jlspence/faq_fw.htm
http://www.allears.net/acc/faq_fw.htm

elijahpep
04-07-2007, 11:38 PM
Hey Rentayenta!~ You can rent them at the trading post in the middle of the camp grounds. You may want to call ahead of your visit to see about renting them, because they go pretty quick. Each cabin has it's very own parking slip for your personal vehicle. Between your car's drive way parking slip and the front of the cabin, there is an electrical outlet to plug it in each night and park it. At the main bus stops, and by the boat launch and beach there are golf cart parking lots with outlets to keep it charged.

OH, and the Wilderness campgrounds and cabins even have horseback riding if your kids want to really get to nature. The cabins are just the greatest!~

~DW:3dglasses

rentayenta
04-07-2007, 11:43 PM
The cabins are sounding better and better. I plugged in my dates again just to be sure and it's cheaper. Maybe it's an error and I should book it now before it disappears!

The photos help a lot, thank you rie'smom! And did my eyes deceive me or did I see a vacuum in the closet? :dance3: Makes this Type A feel right at home!

elijahpep, your info is awesome-thank you!

camouseketeer
04-07-2007, 11:45 PM
I plugged in my dates online and the FW cabins came up $1000 cheaper.

I've never been to either resort, but I'm still confused about the price.

I just tried some random dates online (mid-August for 9 nights) and found the cabins to be $1200 more expensive than POR.

Are you sure you didn't mistakenly get a quote for the FW Campgrounds? Those were about $1000 cheaper than POR.

POR is a mod, but the cabins are considered to be a deluxe.

I just can't imagine a regular hotel room (314 sq ft) to be over $100/night cheaper than a two room cabin (504 sq ft) with a full kitchen. :confused3

Regardless, however, good luck in your decision.

elijahpep
04-07-2007, 11:48 PM
You're welcome RentaYenta!~ Seriously, we love the cabins. If they had washer/dryer in the cabins we would always stay there. There are vacuums in the cabins and a dishwasher. So cleaning if you need too with the little ones is a breeze.

FYI, mousekeeping comes daily too!

The cabins were always cheaper for us when we went there. BUT still very mickey mouse magical!~

~DW :3dglasses

minnie61650
04-08-2007, 03:53 AM
tinaluis, I am positive. I plugged in my dates online and the FW cabins came up $1000 cheaper.

In that case book right away.

The cabins should be about $100 more a night than POR.

From this website:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/disney-rates-2007.htm#VALUE

POR $145 a night during value season.

FW cabins $249 a night during value season.

Have fun at Disney!:wizard:

Buzz2001
04-08-2007, 05:56 AM
Cabins!!

rentayenta
04-08-2007, 03:16 PM
I am a total knob! :rotfl: Somehow I was comparing the Cabins, where I want to stay really badly now to the POR but the POR included airfare and that's why it was so much more. :confused3 Haven't a clue what I did, but yes, the Cabins are more $$$$. :sad1:

After reading so about the FW Cabins I would really like to stay there.

Did I read that they might not be included in the Free DDP offer? Anyone else see this?

minnie61650
04-08-2007, 03:34 PM
I am a total knob! :rotfl: Somehow I was comparing the Cabins, where I want to stay really badly now to the POR but the POR included airfare and that's why it was so much more. :confused3 Haven't a clue what I did, but yes, the Cabins are more $$$$. :sad1:

After reading so about the FW Cabins I would really like to stay there.

Did I read that they might not be included in the Free DDP offer? Anyone else see this?

Ahhh...That's why the quote for the cabins was less than for POR.

Yes, I also read the cabins may not be included in the free DDP offer on this thread post #234:

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1411084&page=16

Remember this is an educated guess/rumor.

I guess if free dining is opened to Disney Visa members than we will find out real soon if the cabins are included.

Have fun at Disney!:wizard:

twinspluscade
04-08-2007, 03:56 PM
I am looking for any/all info from size of the cabin/room, comfort of the bed(s), dining, transportation times, grounds keeping, aesthetics, pools, anything you got, I want. There are 2 adults and 3 children (10, 8, and 5).

The POR is $1,000 more for 9 nights? Having never been to either, what do you think?

Thanks! :thumbsup2

POR is definetely the cheaper one.

POR standard room is $145/night during value season.

FW cabin is $249/night during value season.

POR is THE cheapest on-site option for a family of 5.

Kelly

twinspluscade
04-08-2007, 04:03 PM
We were thinking about staying at the cabins too if they do free dining. Some one posted on another thread they didnt' know if they'd be included or not.

Anyway, I ended up deciding not to go with the cabins anyway....for the reason that golf cart rentals are $47/day plus tax:scared1:. And, most people have said the golf carts are highly recommended so you don't have to spend time waiting for the internal bus system.

I figured out with adding the cost of the golf cart to the cost of the cabin it really added up...to $296/day (not much less than the deluxes such as Beach Club). I decided that price was out of our budget for this trip. Another thing I didn't like about the cabins is NO counter service restaurant at Fort Wilderness. Since we'll be on the dining plan I for sure wanted wherever we stay to have a counter service restaurant.

I still want to try the cabins on another trip, though--one where we won't get the dining plan. I love the decor, and they look so spacious!:goodvibes

Kelly