PDA

View Full Version : POFQ - King Bed Rooms

ericafny
04-06-2007, 09:16 PM
I am booked at POFQ with a king bed room. I have not stayed at POFQ, however I stayed in a king bed room at ASsp and it had a handicapped accessible bathroom. Neither myself nor DBF needs an accessible room and I would prefer our room to not be accessible. When I booked (2 days ago) with AAA they only had king bed rooms left (all standards at POFQ are booked in Aug) so I went with the king room as it was less than $100 more for that room in total. I obviously don't mind the king bed but as I said before do not want the accessible bathroom....Can anyone shed some light on this subject? :confused3

I am going to call the hotel a few days before we leave to confirm my 'requests' and plan on 'requesting' a non-accessible room, however I just want to make sure that there are in fact non-accessible king bed rooms.

disnut8
04-07-2007, 10:06 AM
Most of the king bed room are handicap accessible. I'm not saying all are but most are. About the only difference I've seen is with the bathroom. The shower head could be a removeable one. We've really never had a big problem with the accessible rooms. Well, except for one time. My husband went to take a shower and the head was put on sideways. So all the water sprayed out into the bathroom. Some cursing with that. So my husband corrected the head (or so he thought) and tried again. He hadn't put the head on all the way. Ever see a firehose out of control? I heard words I hadn't heard since basic training. The bathroom was totally soaked. Of course, I had a great laugh. The husband was not amused.

If you really need a non accessible room, understand that your room choices are going to be very limited. So if you have any other requests, like a certain building or a certain floor or whatever, those requests probably won't be met.

Alaska Catdog
04-07-2007, 10:18 AM
We always request a King bed and at POFQ it came with an accessible room. We didn't mind at all. The shower was huge and I like the removable shower head. This room was on the bottom floor, perhaps if you request a King on the top floor they may not be accessible and your problem may be solved. Of course I don't understand what the big deal is, I'd rather be in an accessible king room any day rather than the tiny double beds in POFQ standard rooms.

skipperkim
04-07-2007, 10:23 AM
There are indeed some rooms with king size beds that are not handicapped accessible. Make sure it's part of your ressie, but don't be surprised if you do get a handicapped room.

ericafny
04-07-2007, 10:26 AM
Thanks for your replies!

It's not really a problem to be in an accesible room, however I would prefer not to be in one. I did have one at ASsp and the shower was fine and everything, however I just like standing in a tub, rather than one of those other showers. The other thing that comes to mind is why would I take up an accesible room if I don't need one? I would rather someone who needs one use it.

I did request 2nd or 3rd floor, non-smoking. I don't really care what building we are in as I know POFQ is a smaller resort and everything is pretty much close together. Hopefully all of my requests will be honored! If not, hey I am in Disney, and that's all that matters right?? :banana:

dunnhorn
04-07-2007, 08:46 PM
We have stayed in a king room at POFQ 3x and never got an accessible room. My advice is to check in as early as possible because they give the rooms out on a first-come-first-served basis.

bntlyclg89
04-07-2007, 09:40 PM
We do request the 3rd floor (and have stayed on the 3rd floor 3x's). Twice we've had a King Bed and the room has NOT been an accessible room. I wonder if the eariler poster is right, that it may only be the rooms on the 1st floor that are accessible.

Anyway, hope you have a great time regardless! :wizard:

dunnhorn
04-08-2007, 07:41 AM
The 3x we stayed in a king room, it was on the 1st floor and the rooms were not H accessable. So, who knows..

cottontail
04-08-2007, 07:51 AM
Hi:

If the king rooms are accessable rooms would the whole room be wider to accommodate a wheelchair? Anybody who has stayed in both types of rooms might know.

Deb.

cdrn1
04-08-2007, 09:10 AM
We were in an accessible room for one night in May, it was on the first floor. It seemed pretty spacious, there was definitely room for a wheelchair. The BR door was a pocket-type door and the shower was a roll-in type. We didn't care for it because there was no sink area outside the bathroom. But the BR overall was pretty big.

minnie61650
04-08-2007, 09:37 AM
Hi:

If the king rooms are accessable rooms would the whole room be wider to accommodate a wheelchair? Anybody who has stayed in both types of rooms might know.

Deb.

Here is a website with photos of an accessible room at POR.
the POFQ accessible room would be similar but the decor would be different .

http://allearsnet.com/acc/g_dxl2.htm

Have fun at Disney!:wizard:

ericafny
04-08-2007, 09:47 AM
Hi:

Deb.

You know, I have to say that when I stayed in the accessible room at ASsp, it did NOT seem wider than a non-accessible room. Come to think of it, I am not sure if a wheelchair could fit past the bed...but maybe I am wrong because its not as if I measured the space.

We have stayed in a king room at POFQ 3x and never got an accessible room. My advice is to check in as early as possible because they give the rooms out on a first-come-first-served basis.

dunnhorn - we plan on checking in around 9:00am, so I was also figuring that I can request a non-accessible when I check-in and chances are when one is ready we will get it.

Mousema
04-08-2007, 10:04 AM
I just got back from POFQ and had a King room. I was in 1241 and it was not accessable. I liked the way the king rooms are on the corner and you have 2 windows.

*NikkiBell*
04-08-2007, 10:26 AM
POFQ is our favorite resort. The only handicap accessible rooms are a FEW of the kinds, not only. Just put on yur ressie you want a king room and I doubt you'll get a handicap one.

SueM in MN
04-08-2007, 10:58 AM
You know, I have to say that when I stayed in the accessible room at ASsp, it did NOT seem wider than a non-accessible room. Come to think of it, I am not sure if a wheelchair could fit past the bed...but maybe I am wrong because its not as if I measured the space.
You are right, the fully wheelchair accessible rooms are the same size as the non-assessible rooms (they have the same 'footprint').
The room arrangement is a bit different in the fully accessible rooms in order to accomidate a roll in shower. The reason for many of them having a King size bed is to allow a 36 inch access path all around the room and a 5 foot turning circle someplace in the room, so a wheelchair can be turned around.

If the hotel has elevators, the handicapped rooms could be on any floor. In the resorts without elevators (like CBR), they are only on the first floor.

Chrissie-riel
04-09-2007, 10:58 AM
Does anyone know anything about king-double adjoining rooms at POFQ? I have a ressie at POFQ in a double room for my immediate family (wishing to add free dining on Thursday too!). Now, the IL's want to come along and would like to stay in a king room that adjoins to ours. (I know - no guarantees!) Also, if there are such arrangements available, would it be better for them to be under one reservation? Or does it not matter since there are no guarantees anyway?? Thanks!

jenrose66
04-09-2007, 11:13 AM
I stayed in King Size bed rooms twice at POFQ and neither room was handicap accessible.