PDA

View Full Version : POR Buses - Are they THAT Bad?

wen8jr
04-06-2007, 08:46 PM
I've ready quite a bit about bad experiences in waiting for the POR buses...are they really that bad?

jsantini
04-06-2007, 08:59 PM
I've stayed at POR-French Quarter and I thought the bussing was fine, but we got picked up before Riverside and I think that makes a big difference. We really liked the resort.

disneyworldluvr349
04-06-2007, 09:05 PM
we stay at POR every year we go to Disney and I love their transportation. You are really near by any of the bus stops no matter where your room is. I have never had a problem with the buses.

Indianadisneyfan
04-06-2007, 09:19 PM
I stayed at POR last year in Oct. and didn't have any problems with the buses. They came by about every 10 min. going to different parks. They were never crowded and were very fast getting to the parks.

Joyous99
04-06-2007, 09:26 PM
We stayed there in Sept. this past year & we had an awful experience with the buses. The worst of the problems we encountered coming back from the parks at closing time, where the lines at the POFQ/POR bus stop were much, much longer than any other resorts's bus stop-it generally took, on the average, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours to get back to the resort each night. :sad2: We also had other problems getting to the parks in the morning & a horrendous ride to DTD that we never reached our destination (Disney Quest), gave up & went back to the room. That was just our experience, which doesn't mean you will have a bad experience as well. Personally, though, if I ever stay here again (and that is a big IF), I would most definitely have a car on hand & drive to the parks!

Indianadisneyfan
04-06-2007, 10:15 PM
If you stay there and want to go to DTD I would take the boat. It's a nice ride in the evening and it's not that long a ride over there.

2minny
04-06-2007, 10:18 PM
Yes, when we were there last June, the POR line was at least an hour wait to get back to the hotel, other lines were 1/4 of our line, very strange and very frustrating. You're tired, want to get back, kids crying and there's an hour wait with lines wrapping outside teh roped area.

Nagle
04-06-2007, 10:39 PM
We gave up trying to take a bus from Riverside. We were stuck way way out in the back of the resort and just about every bus that went by kept on going because it was already full. One of the things that made our stay there the first & last time.

HugsForEeyore
04-06-2007, 11:03 PM
I thought the buses were very bad when I stayed there. :( My room was in the very back corner of mansion Parterre Place, so I used the main bus stop, which seemed the closest. It was the same thing EVERY morning - people waiting for MK buses were waiting all over with poorly formed lines (or just no lines). So when the MK bus came, it usually was almost full from POFQ, and people would cram onto standing-room only. It got sooo frustrating, trying to fight the lines just to get smushed like sardines on the bus! The other park buses didn't seem to have the problem, just the MK one. And even if the MK bus was filled with us at the main stop, it had to STILL go around the loop, pass the other bus stops, before leaving for MK. It was a slow process, for sure! I got so fed up that I drove to MK by the end of the week, which I hate doing (park, take the tram, then monorail), but still probably was faster.

I remember it would usually take an hour and 15 minutes from when I arrived at the POR bus stop, to when I got off at the MK one. Too long. Yes, I could have woke up sooner to beat the crowds, but still, it seemed the buses could have been run better to handle the crowds. :(

I won't stay at POR anytime soon, and the buses are one reason.

Family Fun Mom
04-06-2007, 11:12 PM
Nah, it wasn't too bad. The All Star busses made POR's bus waits look like a piece of cake! Every park we went to had VERY long lines for the All Star resorts. I felt bad for them each night.

Disfan3
04-06-2007, 11:20 PM
you need to be prepared...we waited for a bus for awhile to get to AK but that was about it...and that was peak time....in March.

We would get to the stop early, like 8:30 am then we would make sure we left before the big finale of all the fireworks shows and about 30 mins before AK closed and we were always the first on the busses at closing times.

I am so use to the monorail but the busses were fine...I would just say be prepared and be smart about stuff. Give yourself plenty of time. I had a car there but never drove. We like the Disney busses, even at POR.

I can say tho...the Poly busses were almost always better at our Poly stay. Never crowded but then again we went in slower times...

it seems to me that AK is a big bus problem because it was at the Poly too....DTD busses seem few and far between at times too

and

Why would you take a bus to DTD??? The boat ride was awesome!! Relaxing, great, fun and you get to see A LOT of the WDW property not seen on a bus!

We did not think it was horrible...but not as wonderful as that monorail..!! Or that lovely boat to the MK...

but then again I saved about 300 a night...so.... ;)

darkcyber
04-06-2007, 11:38 PM
We've stayed at POR everytime we've been to WDW and we've had no problems with the buses. The bus stop for POR gets really crowded at park closing and you have to wait in line for a while, but you would probably have the problem with any of them at that time. EVERYONE is trying to leave at the same time.

alissa -dawn
04-06-2007, 11:39 PM
We stayed at Riverside Jan1-8 this year and had no problem with the busses.
We were right by the North bus stop and every morning we never had to wait more than 5 minutes. There was only one morning we had to stand on our way to MGM. Going home at night was fine too. The one night at MK when we stayed for Wishes we just got an ice cream and waited for the crowds to thin. We waited maybe 10 minutes. We were pleasantly surprised.

txaggiemomof3
04-06-2007, 11:47 PM
The bus transportation was the worst part of our stay there too. We were there last Sept/October. We used the bus stop by the main building and it was always crowded unless you went at off times such as later in the morning or early afternoon. Many of the buses would arrive at our stop already mostly full from POFQ so we ended up standing most of the time. The lines back to POR at night were equally as bad. We always knew which line was the POR line when we were coming home because it was always much longer than all of the others. Thankfully, we had a rental car and chose to start using it when we knew the lines would be a problem.

I'm surprised that Disney hasn't done more to help the situation there. Otherwise, we really liked POR.

Linda T.
04-07-2007, 09:17 AM
We stayed at POR - Riverside in June, 1997, and the bus service was horrible. We used the main bus stop and had very long waits to get on the bus. There was no actual bus lines to the different parks and to me that was alot of the problem. The resort was beautiful, but we never went back due to the bus service.

Linda T.

Tinkerbelle32
04-07-2007, 09:24 AM
We go every first week of Jan. and first week of June and we have never had to wait over 20 min. for a bus. We love Riverside, its' our second home!

LoveDopey
04-07-2007, 10:51 AM
We were just there at the end of March and I have absolutely no complaints about the buses. Yes, they were crowded but the one EMH morning at MK we waited about 5 minutes. The first bus that came filled up quickly (everyone was pushing to get on), we were near the back of the line. Before everyone could get on 2 more buses pulled up. By waiting we ended up on the 3rd, uncrowded bus.

mjkaferle5
04-07-2007, 10:52 AM
I had read all of the horror stories before our trip in June. So when we got to POR we were prepared for the worst.

Strange thing is, we never had a problem with the busses. I would stay at POR again in a heartbeat!

Mickey23
04-07-2007, 02:23 PM
We didn't care for the shared buses at POR /POFQ either. For us the main issue was returning from the parks with our strollers and kids. The queue was always huge because that is shared too.

casaazul
04-07-2007, 02:42 PM
We just got back from POR during a busy Spring Break. We stayed at the furthest Mansion, Parterre Place, and used the North Station. We were the 2nd stop in POR, and there were no people from POFQ on bus. We usually waited only 5 minutes or so for a bus. Our first ride tho from POR to Epcot took over 40 minutes. Kind of made us mad, but after that the buses from POR were good....

NOW... from the Parks, especially MK it was another story. The lines at MK for POR resort were always long, DS joked when I asked which one was ours, "just look for the long line and no bus!!!". It wasn't too bad, but next time we go, we are getting a car. We just are not bus people.

Have fun no matter what!!!

Mrs.Reese
04-07-2007, 02:57 PM
We were there Jan 1-7 and had a terrible time with the buses. We waited one night over 90 minutes to get on a bus from EPCOT. It was absolutely terrible. We were way out in AB and found that it was pretty much standing room only to go anywhere by the time we got picked up.

Mousema
04-07-2007, 04:22 PM
Just back and stayed at POFQ. Granted we were the first stop on and first ones off, but the buses were great. The only really crowded bus was one that came back about 2 pm from MK. The driver even joked about the afternoon sardine run.

PinkDaisy8844
04-07-2007, 05:42 PM
I stayed at POR in July '05 and didn't see any problems with the busses. However, this was my first time back to Disney since 1989, so I really have nothing to compare it to. But from what I could tell it seemed okay with me!

disneyworldluvr349
04-07-2007, 05:51 PM
The bus service was not bad though when you think about how long other hotels have to wait in the morning. The only problem happens on the way back to the park and we have three kids. I guess we just manage well. You just have to push your way through at night, but be respectful! We even have to carry a bulky stoller becasue we opted to not rent one there.

mommyseven
04-07-2007, 05:52 PM
The bus service at POR was no different than any other resort that we stayed at previously. We had no problems and no complaints about it.

kparc
04-07-2007, 07:12 PM
We have stayed there in the past and the buses are my only complaint. They were often so crowded had to stand on the bus. We didn't encounter that problem on our last trip to CSR. But who knows things may have changed.:confused3

msteddom
04-07-2007, 09:31 PM
I have stayed at POR twice now, and have not had problems with the busses. Can't wait to stay there again in August!

Melissa

Disneyof3
04-07-2007, 09:43 PM
The last 2 times we stayed at POR the buses were the same. Going in the am or the pm wasn't bad at all. It was leaving the parks at the end of the night that were bad. We usually always stay late and wait for the rush crowd to exit first. We shop in the stores or wait on the curb sides. Of the 3 kids 1 is usually asleep and the other 2 are still on cloud 9.:wizard: Once we do leave the line up is almost 1/2 gone and the wait is much shorter. Sometimes I think they do forget about POR and then all of a sudden 2 buses show up at once and they get you out. I feel it is better then having to worry about driving. I like at the end of the day someone else is driving and I don't have to. We're heading back again in March 2008 and it still won't effect my opinion on POR.:yay: :yay: :yay:

DisneyFan83
04-08-2007, 08:49 PM
If you're going in June this year I recommend staying at the French Quarter. I've stayed there in June for the last 3 summers & you don't have to wait that long to get a bus there (usually) because you get picked up there before Riverside. Also, FQ only has 1 bus stop compared to the 4 stops that Riverside has. The only thing is that bus rides could be kinda long due to picking up at all 5 (total) stops. Another plus about the FQ is at night you have your own stop leaving the Magic Kingdom compared to all of Riverside who has to share. FQ is also very small & quiet- everything is in close walking distance. I love it!

jas19
04-08-2007, 11:16 PM
We just got back last night from POR and we never had a problem with the buses. We stayed in AB bldg. 34 which is just around the corner from the West bus stop. It was always the first stop to be picked up and then we would go around the loop and the last stop would be the main stop. There were always alot more people getting on the buses at the main stop and some would have to stand. There were always alot of MK & Epcot buses. The longest wait we had was for the AK bus. But it still wasn't too long. I thought they did a great job with the buses. One night we left MK after fireworks and had to wait in what looked to be a long line but didn't really have a wait, the next bus pulled up right after the first bus pulled out. They would always drop off first at the main bus stop and then the West depot was next.

This was our 5th trip and the first at POR. We have stayed the other 4 times at Poly so we were very spoiled by the monorail. But being peak season and no discounts we decided to try the POR. We really enjoyed our stay and will probably stay there again in the future.

Hope you enjoy your trip. We have been wishing we were still there!

:)

CanadianGuy
04-09-2007, 12:15 AM
Despite the posts saying that the POR lines were always the longest when leaving the park..

ALL the bus lines are going to be long when leaving the park. The buses are on a heavy cycle at that point and no matter WHAT line I'm in -- I feel like it's the slowest movest and longest and has the least buses operating on it! ;)

So.. to ease my mind in that regard.. I linger in the parks a bit longer (I actually plan for this) .. wander the shops on Main Street.. catch an attraction when the lines have died down or whatever.. and then leave the park after the bulk of the crowd has left.

I never EVER leave right after Wishes or the Spectro parade. Ever. That's just exactly like asking someone to beat my head with a brick. ;)

Knox

Lilolvr
04-09-2007, 05:40 AM
Just back and stayed at POFQ. Granted we were the first stop on and first ones off, but the buses were great. The only really crowded bus was one that came back about 2 pm from MK. The driver even joked about the afternoon sardine run.I can attest to this situation on the buses. Try it with kids and strollers. It's not fun.

goofy4tink
04-09-2007, 08:25 AM
Despite the posts saying that the POR lines were always the longest when leaving the park..

ALL the bus lines are going to be long when leaving the park. The buses are on a heavy cycle at that point and no matter WHAT line I'm in -- I feel like it's the slowest movest and longest and has the least buses operating on it! ;)

So.. to ease my mind in that regard.. I linger in the parks a bit longer (I actually plan for this) .. wander the shops on Main Street.. catch an attraction when the lines have died down or whatever.. and then leave the park after the bulk of the crowd has left.

I never EVER leave right after Wishes or the Spectro parade. Ever. That's just exactly like asking someone to beat my head with a brick. ;)

Knox

That's exactly my experience!! All the other lines are moving, but not mine!! Doesn't matter where I'm staying. It just 'seems' like your resort bus line is the worst. I also try to leave the park later rather than immediatly after the fireworks. That's asking for trouble.
But, I've yet to have an issue with the POR buses. It's a big resort, POFQ adds a bit to the fray. But, I've done buses at POP, ASMusic, BC, BW, the S/D. You want lines? Try getting on a bus at BW in the morning! Now, that's fun. All the buses share the same miseries. There is no perfect bus solution. It's way to fluid a situation. If you try to get on a bus at 8:15ish, for park opening at 9, you are going to make a lot of new friends. So, get on one of the very early buses, or wait until after the park has opened. Everyone seems to want to be on the bus at 8:15-8:30....it's a total zoo!!

7nqb00
04-09-2007, 08:34 AM
They may all share the same misery at closing but not all share buses with other resorts. That makes a huge difference. I think it adds to the problem.

wen8jr
04-09-2007, 11:02 AM
Thanks everyone - your comments have been very helpful. :thanks:

We're going to get to the bus stop early (maybe 7:45) :sunny: and will be leaving MK late for extra magic hours. So maybe that will help with the MK bus lines???

I'm going to adopt a "kick back & relax" attitude for the whole trip, lines or no lines. :cool2:

So looking forward to it!!!!!!! 2 months now!!!!

binky
04-09-2007, 11:35 AM
Thanks everyone - your comments have been very helpful. :thanks:

We're going to get to the bus stop early (maybe 7:45) :sunny: and will be leaving MK late for extra magic hours. So maybe that will help with the MK bus lines???

I'm going to adopt a "kick back & relax" attitude for the whole trip, lines or no lines. :cool2:

So looking forward to it!!!!!!! 2 months now!!!!

That's a great attitude! Luckily, I didn't read alot on here before our trip last May, or it might have scared me off. Like you're planning to do, we caught the bus around 7:45 each morning (at the West Depot) Very few people waiting, no long waits for the busses, ALWAYS got a seat. West depot was 1st stop during our stay. Leaving the parks: we left after Fantasmic, after Illuminations, before Wishes. I honestly don't remember much about it, so that says it wasn't a "nightmare." I know there was a line, but it moved pretty quickly. I think we waited for a 2nd or maybe 3rd bus a time or two, but they pulled up one right after the other. NEVER waited for 6busses! NEVER took us 1 to 2 hours to get back to our room. Really, with a positive attitude (and I think it's a reflection of one's overall attitude) I think you'll be fine. :goodvibes I truly hope that is the case!

mousiemom
04-09-2007, 11:39 AM
This will be our 1st trip to POR and it will be during Memorial Day weekend so I am prepared to wait. We do the early thing too, and that helps but I'm not used to all these stops around the resort. I hope to be staying in AB section, and hopefully will be by the 1st depot in the back.

Tinkerkristen
04-14-2007, 10:44 AM
I have a few questions about Port Orleans Riverside bus service.

1) Do they share with other resorts? We stayed at Pop last year and we were very happy with the wait times and crowds for the bus.

2) We are requesting the mansions, so which depot do the buses start at? Again Pop only had one.

3) Do they have dedicated buses to Animal Kingdom/some water park like Pop did or will we have to go to DTD to get a bus?

Thanks!

Lilolvr
04-14-2007, 11:06 AM
Here is a thread asking the same question as you.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1411881

kbmoo
04-14-2007, 11:31 AM
I was at PoP 4 times last summer-fall. I went to POR in February. You share the bus with POFQ. There are several bus stops with a roof over them. I liked it a lot better than POP. The best thing is that it wasn't the farthest bus stop when coming home from the parks. It is like being at 2 whole different worlds. POP is very fun and exciting, but the bus can be a problem. POR is much quieter. But I love them both

kbmoo
04-14-2007, 11:40 AM
I was there Feb 27-March 6th this year and had nothing but great service. I didn't have to wait more than 15 minutes ever. I stayed at POP before and I liked POR a lot better.

cmm
04-14-2007, 01:53 PM
The main bus stop outside the entrance is not the first stop? I am glad someone told me that. That might influence what building I want to stay in. This is the same way at CSR. They pick up at #1 last, but when we were there it was so uncrowded, it didn't matter.

Buzz2001
04-14-2007, 02:41 PM
The main bus stop outside the entrance is not the first stop? I am glad someone told me that. That might influence what building I want to stay in. This is the same way at CSR. They pick up at #1 last, but when we were there it was so uncrowded, it didn't matter.At CSR, the park buses stop at bus stop 2 first, then go to 3, 4 and 1. DtD and park exit buses stop at bus stop 1 first, then go 2, 3 and 4. There is a sign at the bus stops explaining why this is done. CSR does this so that guest can hop on a bus to get to the main building or get on at the main building and go to the back of the resort.

bbass1
04-14-2007, 02:59 PM
WE STAYED IN APRIL OF 2005 FOR A WEEK AND MAY OF 2006 FOR A WEEK AND THE BUS SERVICE WAS FIND. YOU JUST HAVE TO KEEP IN MIND THAT EVERYONE IS TRYING TO GET TO THE SAME SPOT AT THE SAME TIME. THE ONLY BAD WAIT WE HAD WAS LEAVING MK AT CLOSING ONE NIGHT. (REFER BACK TO MY PREVIOUS STATEMENT) IF YOU GET FRUSTRATED JUST REMIND YOURSELF YOUR AT DISNEY WORLD!:banana:

Kira G.
04-14-2007, 03:15 PM
I find this reassuring. I am hoping to go to WDW in August (missing Free Dining unfortunately), and was originally planning to stay at CSR where my daughter and I had a great trip last June. We loved the resort, but the bus transportation was particularly great there - uncrowded buses and never a wait.

I am considering POR for our August trip because I think that the resort may be shadier and cooler - and because I want to try something new. My only consideration is the bus service.

This thread is full of good info to help me make my decision.

LOL - isn't it funny how much thinking we put into the choice of a resort at WDW!! I've had four trips and they've all been great in different ways! I should stop worrying so much!

binky
04-14-2007, 06:23 PM
Here is a thread asking the same question as you.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1411881

Uh......isn't that the very thread we're on? :confused3

LisaNJ25
04-14-2007, 07:27 PM
Uh......isn't that the very thread we're on? :confused3

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Disney Davo
04-14-2007, 07:58 PM
Our first on site stay was POR march 2006 and the buses were awesome. Hardly little to no wait, Then we did CBR in Oct 2006 and the bus service was horrible, we had very long waits. I really think it is hit or miss. I had heard Disney was working to improve the bus service by having a better way to monitor the bus routes to improve the waits. Now depending on which park we are going to we may drive to save time. The MK is the worst line after the fire works, if you can avoid that line you'll be doing good or stay at a MK resort and use the Monorail, there is almost no line for that.

Lilolvr
04-14-2007, 09:29 PM
Uh......isn't that the very thread we're on? :confused3Yes but the mods merged the two threads together. I didn't originally post it here, a mod added it. Not sure why they are doing that of late. If someone posts the same question, the threads are getting merged. Thanks for checking up on me though binky. I know how much you like to follow me around on the boards. ;) If you go to the bottom of page 2 or top of page three, you will see the original post by Tinkerkristen has been "moved" and when you click on it, it now brings you to this post. Hope that's okay with you too LisaNJ25.

binky
04-14-2007, 10:48 PM
Yes but the mods merged the two threads together. I didn't originally post it here, a mod added it. Not sure why they are doing that of late. If someone posts the same question, the threads are getting merged.

OK, then that makes more sense....I didn't know that.

Thanks for checking up on me though binky. I know how much you like to follow me around on the boards.

You and your many alter-egos!

If you go to the bottom of page 2 or top of page three, you will see the original post by Tinkerkristen has been "moved" and when you click on it, it now brings you to this post. Hope that's okay with you too LisaNJ25.

It's OK with me, and I'm sure it's OK with Lisa, too!

Disnewbie_N_MO
04-15-2007, 12:39 AM
We're staying at POR in June. We have to small children that will definitely need to ride around in a stroller. Originally we had planned on bringing one with us. But, the more I hear about the crowded bus situation, the more I think it would be a better idea just to rent.

CanadianGuy
04-15-2007, 01:10 AM
Yes but the mods merged the two threads together. I didn't originally post it here, a mod added it. Not sure why they are doing that of late. .

In this case that would be me. Usually I post a message indicating that I merge threads, I didn't this time. Woops my mistake!

Merging two threads with pretty much the exact same question -- keeps the confusion to a minimum and helps ensure all posters can find the information they need. ;)

I had heard Disney was working to improve the bus service by having a better way to monitor the bus routes to improve the waits.

And yes... Disney is implementing a very fancy new GPS tracking system for all buses. This combined with real-time monitoring of bus stops via cameras.. will identify the hot spots that need buses and then in the next step as part of this phased program, buses will (eventually) be automatically routed with computerized messages to the drivers. So a bus that JUST left Pop and dropped off at Blizzard Beach might then proceed to All Star Sports and take guests to Epcot and then take departing Epcot guests to the Magic Kingdom. (for example)

What I think is even more interesting about the new system is that it will include Disney themed music AND 'audio spiels' (similar to the monorail spiel) for you to listen to which will be triggerred by the GPS location of the bus. So as you drive by Blizzard Beach, it might say "To our left of forward motion is Disney's Blizzard Beach Water Park featuring ...."

The audio programs will be slowly phased in over the next 12-18 weeks from now thru the end of June/July (pending any problems or bugs that might pop up). The full on GPS bus scheduling will kick in sometime later this year.

Thanks!

Knox

Bnk1105
04-15-2007, 08:36 AM
We stayed there in Sept. this past year & we had an awful experience with the buses. The worst of the problems we encountered coming back from the parks at closing time, where the lines at the POFQ/POR bus stop were much, much longer than any other resorts's bus stop-it generally took, on the average, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours to get back to the resort each night. :sad2: We also had other problems getting to the parks in the morning & a horrendous ride to DTD that we never reached our destination (Disney Quest), gave up & went back to the room. That was just our experience, which doesn't mean you will have a bad experience as well. Personally, though, if I ever stay here again (and that is a big IF), I would most definitely have a car on hand & drive to the parks!2 hours? :scared1: That's crazy!! I may have to rethink my decision.

MommySiobhan
04-15-2007, 09:49 AM
We stayed at POR last August and had no problems at all. They came about every 10 minutes.

A couple times at park closing we had to wait for the 2nd or 3rd bus, not always because we couldn't get, don't get me started here, let's just say my ONLY peeve about our tremendous trip last year was this:

At LEAST 3 times, dh & I (and our 5, 3, 2 & 3 month old) would be at the front of the bus line, more specifically so because we would wait for the next bus to ensure seating with the smallest ones, two strollers etc) and the bus would be coming, we had a super swift routine down, I'd hold the babies, he'd fold the strollers, the doors would open and people literally PUSH right past to get on. I couldn't believe it, ugh. We actually missed one bus again for this reason when we were only several people back in line.
This was NOT the buses fault however, but just inconsideration of others.

I must add at this point, that several times other awesome WDW'ers offered a helping hand which I am glad to be able to return when I see it would be a WDW kind of thing to do. :thumbsup2

Anyhow, sorry I just went off on a tangent, we did have no problems with the POR service. :thumbsup2

CanadianGuy
04-15-2007, 11:19 AM
2 hours? :scared1: That's crazy!! I may have to rethink my decision.

When the parks are busy and closing time rolls around, the lines are long -- no matter WHAT resort you are staying at .. you need to be prepared for some waiting.

We've seen examples of people complaining about the buses no matter what the resort.

Personally, I make it a point to either leave BEFORE the crowds.. which means before Spectro AND Wishes at MK ... or to linger late enough that most of the crowd have dissipated.

I really think that 'bus strategy' should be part of any effective plan to tackle the parks. ;)

Knox

ella417
04-15-2007, 07:32 PM
Sorry if this has been answered already, but is the bus waiting area covered? We will be there in July so I'm concerned about waiting in the sun. I know, it'll be hot wherever we're at, covered or not LOL!

kelma
04-15-2007, 10:51 PM
MommySiobhan, I just pm'd you :)

dolphincrazy
04-16-2007, 07:12 AM
We stayed at POR in December and I wasn't too thrilled with the idea of on-site transportation when my husband booked the trip but, honestly it really wasn't too awfully bad, some times were busier than others(pretty long line and they cram you in there like sardines lol) but, for the most part it wasn't as bad as I thought.buses come pretty frequently through the resort as well.

CanadianGuy
04-16-2007, 08:25 AM
One thing worth noting -- if they are crammed in there like sardines.. you can always wait for the next bus.

We did that a couple of times on previous trips (not stayin at either PO location..) .. if the bus got jammed.. we'd politely allow others in line to get on if they wanted but we'd stand back and wait for the next bus.

This didn't seem to bother anyone.

Knox

binky
04-16-2007, 02:14 PM
Sorry if this has been answered already, but is the bus waiting area covered? We will be there in July so I'm concerned about waiting in the sun. I know, it'll be hot wherever we're at, covered or not LOL!

Yes. the depots are covered, with ceiling fans, I believe :)

PinkDaisy8844
04-16-2007, 05:38 PM
And yes... Disney is implementing a very fancy new GPS tracking system for all buses. This combined with real-time monitoring of bus stops via cameras.. will identify the hot spots that need buses and then in the next step as part of this phased program, buses will (eventually) be automatically routed with computerized messages to the drivers. So a bus that JUST left Pop and dropped off at Blizzard Beach might then proceed to All Star Sports and take guests to Epcot and then take departing Epcot guests to the Magic Kingdom. (for example)

What I think is even more interesting about the new system is that it will include Disney themed music AND 'audio spiels' (similar to the monorail spiel) for you to listen to which will be triggerred by the GPS location of the bus. So as you drive by Blizzard Beach, it might say "To our left of forward motion is Disney's Blizzard Beach Water Park featuring ...."

The audio programs will be slowly phased in over the next 12-18 weeks from now thru the end of June/July (pending any problems or bugs that might pop up). The full on GPS bus scheduling will kick in sometime later this year.

That is really neat! I hope it is up and working by time I go in December! :santa:

eeyorefan01
04-20-2007, 05:51 AM
Disney is implementing a very fancy new GPS tracking system for all buses. This combined with real-time monitoring of bus stops via cameras.. will identify the hot spots that need buses and then in the next step as part of this phased program, buses will (eventually) be automatically routed with computerized messages to the drivers. So a bus that JUST left Pop and dropped off at Blizzard Beach might then proceed to All Star Sports and take guests to Epcot and then take departing Epcot guests to the Magic Kingdom. (for example)

Thanks!

KnoxHas anyone noticed this yet? Has it begun to show up on he buses?

tink07
04-20-2007, 10:01 AM
We were at POR in May & we never had any problems with the buses. The longest we had to wait was 10-15 minutes & that was maybe twice :cool1:

SGMCO
04-20-2007, 10:13 AM
Every DisResort thread that I've ever read,
People complain about the bus system,
my solution is stop complaining and
rent a car if you don't like Free Shuttle to parks,
there will be more room on the bus.
For me, I'm trilled not to have to fight the traffic to get out of
the parking lots.
I think that it's a wonderful service!!!
~~~Thanks Disney~~~:thumbsup2

Family Fun Mom
04-20-2007, 12:16 PM
For me, I'm trilled not to have to fight the traffic to get out of the parking lots.~~~Thanks Disney~~~:thumbsup2

Or walk the huge parking lot back to your car after a full day touring parks. I love the bus system, too.

villiansRus
04-20-2007, 01:41 PM
My experience was that they were terrible. Long lines at the queues, having to stand and be packed in like sardines. They seem to be hit or miss.

CanadianGuy
04-20-2007, 01:43 PM
Has anyone noticed this yet? Has it begun to show up on he buses?

The information that I read indicated that it was going to start on very specific routes ... and then branch out from there.

Remember - a hitch on any part of the implementation would likely delay the whole thing.

Knox

eeyorefan01
04-20-2007, 06:31 PM
The information that I read indicated that it was going to start on very specific routes ... and then branch out from there.

Remember - a hitch on any part of the implementation would likely delay the whole thing.

KnoxThanks!

Disnewbie_N_MO
07-15-2007, 11:51 PM
Not sure if this is still considered an issue, but I wanted to share our June experiences. I never felt like we had to wait very long at all after the parks closed. I did think it was ridiculous how they stuffed so many on a bus. We decided a couple of times to wait for another bus instead of getting on one and have to stand up.

Speedemon21
07-16-2007, 04:04 PM
My husband and I stayed there in July of 2004. We had no issues whatsoever with the busses. We LOVE Riverside and will be going back next August. Enjoy your trip! :wizard:

pirates4
07-16-2007, 09:53 PM
In your opinion which bus stop at POR is the best and why? :hippie:

labattblue
08-07-2007, 11:32 AM
After reading through this thread and others like it(POR buses), I can only conclude that the bus opinions vary based on...

A. Which POR bus stop you use

B. Time of day you are riding the bus

C. Which park you are heading to/from

D. How crowded the resort is.

E. Individual tolerance level

The one thing that WDW could do, is to reduce the bus capacity in terms of how many people can stand, but that will only drive wait times up unless more buses are added.

Is it safe to assume that if I had a rental car, that time wise, I would be better off driving to EC, AK & MGM, but rely on the buses for MK so I don't have to fight the monorail/boat after parking?

Disneyof3
08-07-2007, 12:35 PM
Sounds like you hit it on the money. We have never had problems with the buses except coming from MK and DMGM. I always wait awhile after the park closes and then head to the buses so the crowds have dwindled. I have never taken a vehicle to the parks due to it is the only time my DH and I can drink together and not have to worry about who is driving home.
Even if the buses are bad it won't spoil your trip.:banana:

carmiedog
08-07-2007, 02:04 PM
In your opinion which bus stop at POR is the best and why? :hippie:

I've only stayed at POFQ but our next trip will probably be POR. My plan is to use the main bus stop out front. It's the first POR pick-up after they stop at POFQ, so if it's a busy time of day I would theorize you have a better chance of grabbing a seat. I don't know if the front stop will continue to be the first POR pick-up with the new bus system, though.

FTR, we didn't have any problems with POFQ/POR buses getting to the parks. There were a few times after park closing that we had to wait forever for a bus to show up or wait for another bus due to crowds. But getting TO the parks was a piece of cake.