PDA

View Full Version : Sell me on AKL, Poly or POR!!

TheLittleRoo
04-05-2007, 11:53 PM
I'm getting some great rates and can actually afford these places this time, so I'm considering a full stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge, a full stay at Poly, a combination of AKL/ Poly or a combination of Deluxe / POR to save a little money for miscellaneous "fun" in the parks.

What can you tell me about AKL or Poly? I've visited Poly twice last Sept for dinner at Kona and Ohana's - - LOVED the lobby, but some of the interior pics of the rooms seem....seedy? We love the fact that it's a monorail resort, has the Electric Water Parade, can probably see the MK fireworks at night, can transfer at the TTC to monorail to Epcot, outdoor theming is to DIE FOR.... So, big Poly fans just from our limited exposure to it as restaurant patrons. Oh, and loved the lei-making station for the kids while we waited!

AKL I know less about. A friend stayed there and loved it. I've heard it has a cult following just like Poly does, but some say it can be dark and is not close to water or the other parks. Our kids would love to see the animals on the savannahs and the dining options sound nice. How does it rate in the "fun factor" especially for the pool and things to do outside?

And lastly, how much of a downer is it to transfer to a moderate midway through a stay? If we stay at Poly, we would stay there first and front-load our days at MK and Epcot to coincide with our time at the Poly, and go to POR for the second half of our 8 day trip, seeing MGM and AK and hanging out at Ol' Man Island or the POFQ pool some too. If we stay at AKL, we'd stay there the second half of our trip, upgrading from POR to AKL at the end.

Somebody please help me choose between AKL and Poly! And talk to me about the mid-week resort downgrading - - how hard is that to do, logistically and psychologically? (LOL, I mean it's STILL Disney, and POR is gorgeous! We stayed there last Sept and LOVED it...)

Thanks!

TnTWalter
04-06-2007, 05:37 AM
http://www.tikiman2001.net/
Trish

scanne
04-06-2007, 06:50 AM
The Polynesian's rooms have just been completely redone. They are beautiful!!! We've stayed at the Polynesian 2x (with the old decor) but LOVED the location of the resort, the transportation options and the size of the rooms. The rooms are HUGE!!!! You're right in the middle of everything - close to the MK and Epcot - you can walk to the Grand Floridian, you can sit on the beach at night and watch the fireworks. This is definitely one of our favorite resorts. We've stayed at the AKL, and although it is beautiful, it is so far removed from the action and the rooms are a bit small (for a deluxe) and the rooms are also dark.

We love the Polynesian! I would choose the Polynesian over the AKL.

Marty Joe
04-06-2007, 07:27 AM
TheLittleRoo,

As Scanne pointed out, the rooms have been remodeled and are spectacular (but I thought the old version was great too). I/we have been to several resorts (not all) and the Polynesian is the ONE resort that I truly feel like I'm on vacation. Relaxing and tropical is the answer for me! I believe it is as tropical as you can get without a looooong plane ride. Factor in a monorail ride to the happiest place on Earth and you got yourself a winning combination. Fireworks/ELP at the beach, Kona, 'Ohana, a Luau,Tikiboutique, and Mai Tai's out the yingyang! Some "thrill seekers" like to stay at more than one resort per visit to WDW (budget, arguement over which resort, or just plain want to), but once I get to the Poly - I'm not leaving! In fact, If we can't stay at the Poly, we're not going!! :beach:

LeahA
04-06-2007, 07:57 AM
We just got back from the POLY and we loved it. I never stayed at the other 2 resorts so I can't compare.

At the POLY you really feel like you have been transported to an island far, far away. The theming is great and at night they have tiki torches lit throughout the resort.

The room was a great size for our family of 5. All the restaurants were good. My kids loved the pool but they really loved the beach and building sandcastles.

We had a room with a patio in the Samoa building looking out at the Volcano pool. It was a great location and if we moved our chairs out a little bit into the grass we could see the fireworks from the MK. It was also nice to watch the fireworks and ELP from the beach!

boomhauer
04-06-2007, 08:06 AM
I've actually decided to swallow the close to $400 a night for the Polynesian and stick with my reservation there for next July.

It's only money, and you only live once. :confused3

thirtycats
04-06-2007, 08:10 AM
We stayed at AKL in December and LOVED it.

They have a wonderful playground just behind the pool. My son spent hours playing there.

It was kind of cold, so we spent only one afternoon at the pool. But it was very nice.

We love the restaurants. We ended up eating at Boma 3 times. My husband and I love exotic food and it satisfied us. My son is somewhat less adventurous and still found plenty to eat.

I had heard that the hotel is too dark, but it didn't bother us when staying there.

The lighting may be low, but the spirit is bright. That sounds really corny, doesn't it?

mickeyluv'r
04-06-2007, 11:12 AM
AKL I know less about. A friend stayed there and loved it. I've heard it has a cult following just like Poly does, but some say it can be dark and is not close to water or the other parks. Our kids would love to see the animals on the savannahs and the dining options sound nice. How does it rate in the "fun factor" especially for the pool and things to do outside?

And lastly, how much of a downer is it to transfer to a moderate midway through a stay? If we stay at Poly, we would stay there first and front-load our days at MK and Epcot to coincide with our time at the Poly, and go to POR for the second half of our 8 day trip, seeing MGM and AK and hanging out at Ol' Man Island or the POFQ pool some too. If we stay at AKL, we'd stay there the second half of our trip, upgrading from POR to AKL at the end.
Thanks!

Personally, if I was going to do a split stay, I'd want to go from mod to Deluxe. the only time we did somethig like this was one year we got stuck in FL due to a large snow storm on the east coast. WE went from CBR to the Grosvenor. It was certainlya a downgrade, but for us the extra days were unexpected -so we saw the extra days as a treat. Otherwise, I don't thinkI'd have liked it. WE have enjoyed other split stays.

I've visited the Ploy, and stayed at AKL twice. Th eprice difference is one factor, but I love the theming at AKL. I've visited most of the WDW resorts, and AKL has my favorite theming. Travel to/from the resort isn't as thrilling as taking the monorail, say, but the resort itself is great. I really like the zero depth entry pool, and they have activities (largely for kids) all day long at the resort, so that's a plus in my mind. In the evening, there is firepit witha story hour. The story hour is fun, and it's a neat opportunity to meet a few other folks or just hang out and relax.