PDA

View Full Version : Fort Wilderness petting Zoo...for 4 yr olds...yay or nay?

JustUsGirls
04-05-2007, 12:56 PM
we will be there to catch the hoopdeedoo show and was wondering if we shoudl go early and check out the petting zoo...can you tell me if it is good?

Robert P
04-05-2007, 01:05 PM
Regretfully, the petting zoo has declined over the past few years. It used to be great, a real treat for our kids, and was away from the hustle and bustle of the parks. The coin operated feeders were gone on our last visit, and the animals were less than interested in human contact. We found out later (from a reliable source) that the feeders were removed primarily due to litigation against WDW, surrounding the animals (goats mainly) biting children (despite the fact that often, the children were harassing and grabbing the animals).

Someone else may have more recent info than me. HTH.

JustUsGirls
04-05-2007, 01:07 PM
thanks..there goes that idea!!!!!

bradk
04-05-2007, 01:14 PM
to the best of my knowledge, it's been all but gone for years now. they reallocated its space for the horses.

i wouldn't buy any of those other reasons. affection section (at planetwatch)?

nbodyhome
04-05-2007, 01:24 PM
The petting zoo is still there. I believe the reason for them scaling it down had to do with the deaths/illnesses at other petting zoos around the country a couple of years back. That is when they got rid of some of their animals (donkeys, cows, lots of the goats, etc.). There are still some goats, horses, maybe chickens, definitely pigs. And the horse barn.

I have a small horse photo (2 pics, actually) from the petting zoo nearer the end of this blog walk: http://www.denisesfitnessblog.com/disney/89/fort-wildernesswilderness-lodge-walk-part-ii

You'll see that there isn't much else behind the horse, the petting zoo used to have quite a lot of animals. But they do have the small horses and such, and it's worth visiting for a few minutes and seeing the horse stables.

The peacocks are gone too.