PDA

View Full Version : Beach Club... Good Bad & Ugly...

libinatorsmom
04-05-2007, 11:31 AM
We think we have decided on the BC for our family vaction to WDW in may 08 - just wanted to check and see if you all think of the resort... how is travel to MK? Anytips for rooms.... I am just waiting for the 08 rates to come out to book my room...

Little background.. 1st WDW vacation for all of us - ME, DH, & DD4

Or do you have another resort again

THANKS...

MJS
04-05-2007, 12:27 PM
We love the BC! Be sure to meet Art, the greeter. He is in the BC lobby, and he is a Disney institution. We know we are on vacation when we see Art!

You will love the pool! It is amazing! The bus ride to the MK can take a bit of time, so you may want to plan some extra time for MK days. Epcot and the Studios are a breeze to get to.

Be sure to have breakfast at Cape May ~ it is lots of fun and yummy, too!

kapoof
04-05-2007, 12:28 PM
we stayed at the bc this past jan and it was WONDERFUL! it is very pretty and clean and so relaxing. i loved the closeness to epcot (just a quick walk) and also being able to walk to mgm. the bus to mk isn't bad but you do share with yc but its not a big deal. it was sooo nice being close to the boardwalk too, the food options are great! the pool is alot of fun but my favorite was having the white sand beach to relax at. i would stay there again without question. go and have a great time!

jenjersnap
04-05-2007, 12:33 PM
BC is 99.9% wonderful. My boys love SAB. B&C. Walk to Epcot.

The only tradeoffs: small rooms for a deluxe, relatively few balconies (unlike the YC), we think Cape May is the 2nd worst buffet at WDW after a couple attempts (lots of other restaurants in Epcot are to choose though!) and iffy bus transportation.

JESW
04-05-2007, 12:36 PM
I don't think there is anything *ugly* about it...except for the fact that not all the rooms have balconies - and balconies are important to me.

Jill

libinatorsmom
04-05-2007, 12:59 PM
Thank you everybody.... :) I do like the balconies at YC but I think my daughter would liek BC better.... and us too something totally out of character for us folks from SW Iowa...

maxiesmom
04-05-2007, 01:14 PM
The best thing for us about the Beach Club was being able to walk to Epcot. And being able the just stroll out of the World Showcase a night after Illuminations. The bad? We were in the villas, and it felt like we had quite a hike to the main pool and shops. The ugly part was the bus rides. You sometimes share with the Swan/Dolphin and Yacht Club. It took us half an hour to get to Animal Kingdom, and 40 minutes to get to the Magic Kingdom. We would not go back to the Beach Club without a rental car.

Robert P
04-05-2007, 01:59 PM
Good: location, pool, non-bus transpo to 2 of the 4 parks

Bad: it seems like the rooms are never ready to check-in before 2 or 3 p.m.

Ugly: The 'Mystery Bus Adventure' - you may have a bus that is just YC/BC, or YC/BC/BW, or all 5 resorts. It is unpredictable, and could vary, depending on the park in question, time of day, position of the moon in relation to the Earth, etc...

johnvree
04-05-2007, 02:06 PM
Good: Water transportation to Epcot and MGM; great on-site restaurants and more than a dozen more a boat ride away at the Boardwalk, Swan & Dolphin and the World Showcase; best pool on property; great views.

Bad: Many BC rooms do not have real balconies; the standard room view can be pretty blah; no direct transportation to Epcot's Future World.

Ugly: None really, unless you find the price scary to look at.

justplaingoofy
04-05-2007, 02:37 PM
It is a very convenient location that we think is well worth it.

Magic Kingdom does take a bit longer, however I would not drive there because then you have to park at TTC and take the monorail/boat over which in my opinion can take the same amount of time.

MyLittlePiglet
04-05-2007, 02:41 PM
Most of the time when we wre going to go to MK we just walked through EPCOT to get to the monorail. We like the monorail better than bus transport and it made for a nice walk. Of course dependning on how much other walked you are doing this can become a pain. We just took it nice and slow. Plus for us was that strollers do need to be folded up for monorail.

libinatorsmom
04-05-2007, 02:57 PM
thanks... hubby really thinks its the plce to stay!!!!! I want the rates out so I can see if its in our budget!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think it is..... 8 night stay!!!

leighe
04-05-2007, 03:00 PM
BC is our favorite resort. We love the theming, atmosphere, dining options and the pool. We also love being able to walk to Epcot since that's our favorite park. We have always requested and gotten a balcony. But we're not in the room a lot so if we didn't get a balcony it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

The bus situation can be a little hit or miss. We've had great bus service and we've had terrible bus service where it seems like we shared a bus with every resort on that end of WDW! If we're not in a huge hurry we'll usually take a lesiurely stroll through Epcot and take the monorail to TTC to MK. However, we are getting ready to start taking DD 15months so it may be monorail resorts for us for a while.

NJ2Boardwalk
04-05-2007, 03:04 PM
My opinion....Beach Club is great, and awesome, great Epcot location, great pool...BUT I think I read you have a 4 year old. You might enjoy the convenience of a Magic Kingdom resort. You will probably be spending most of your time at the MK and you have the option of monorail to Epcot if you choose. Also, it will be easier for naps going back and forth from a MK resort. You also have to consider the balcony factor. When our kids were young, my DH and I would sit out on the balcony while the kids fell asleep and enjoyed the view. We would talk, recap the day, have a snack and plan the next. Then, we'd sneak in and go to bed. Any of the MK deluxes are great. Whatever you choose, have fun!!!:yay:

3boyzmom
04-05-2007, 03:30 PM
Most of the time when we wre going to go to MK we just walked through EPCOT to get to the monorail. We like the monorail better than bus transport and it made for a nice walk. Of course dependning on how much other walked you are doing this can become a pain. We just took it nice and slow. Plus for us was that strollers do need to be folded up for monorail.

This is our preferred way to travel to the MK also. We have 3 boys and they all love the BC too! We never had horrible bus rides, the kids kind of like riding the busses - we always go in value season, that might make a difference. I find that the CMs are very friendly and helpful and our room was ready early, a nice bonus! We liked the breakfast buffet at Cape May and the offerings at the Marketplace. I think you'll love the BC!

mom2aandj
04-05-2007, 03:33 PM
we've stayed at the BCV twice, once in April/May and this year in March. We only ever shared a bus with the YC, and really, I didn't consider that an inconvenience at all. We always found the busses quick and efficient; they take you right to the entry gates at MK, and honestly, the times we drove to MK, after you parked, caught a tram, caught the monorail blah blah blah, it was just way longer. We only had a problem one time with a bus during both stays; we waited for about 25 mins one morning. But every other time it seemed like the bus was always coming, both at the resort and at the parks. Maybe we just got lucky. :)
The pool can not be beat. And the convenience of strolling into Epcot for dinner, or more importantly, just strolling right out of Epcot after Illuminations is so cool!
:thumbsup2

eliza61
04-05-2007, 04:19 PM
Good: Beautiful resort, best resort pool and great location.
Another goodie: Lots of food choices if you don't like Cape May or Beaches and cream, you've got the entire broadwalk to choose from, plus walk into Epcot and you've got all the restaurants in the world showcase.
Good part 3. You can go across to the boardwalk and have a little night time entertainment or stroll the boards.
Bad: can't think of any. Transportation has always been great. Bus to AK was slow 1 time, but hey I'm on vacation.. I don't wear a watch.
NO Ugly

Alicnwondrln
04-05-2007, 07:13 PM
we had no issues here last DEC. Our room was ready at 744am, it had a great view. The staff was good, buses were good sharing only with the YC for the most part. We never did all 5 resorts.
The lobby was fun and festive, Art the greeter was great! The resort was very casual and the kids loved the pool, I didnt like how it was hard to watch the kids there but we all had fun. Beaches and Cream is over rated. The ice cream is great but the food was average and not worth a table service credit if on the DDP.

chris4disney
04-05-2007, 07:24 PM
popcorn:: We will be staying at BCV for the first time October 24-31. After reading some of your replies I'm alittle concerned about the buses to AK and MK. If we want to be at MK for the opening ceremony, how much time should we allow ourselves to get there by bus?

libinatorsmom
04-05-2007, 07:29 PM
that sounds nice... can you do that before epcot opens????

ellenmiele
04-05-2007, 07:39 PM
We're staying at BC for the first time in 2 days. And we're are totally looking forward to it but.....IMHO if I was travelling with a DD4 and was choosing among the deluxe resorts I'd pick Poly or GF. Both have beaches plus the monorail. And MK and the castle are what it's all about at that age. Just one opinion.:blush:

weluvslinkydog
04-05-2007, 08:17 PM
Good: Beautiful resort, best resort pool and great location.
Another goodie: Lots of food choices if you don't like Cape May or Beaches and cream, you've got the entire broadwalk to choose from, plus walk into Epcot and you've got all the restaurants in the world showcase.
Good part 3. You can go across to the boardwalk and have a little night time entertainment or stroll the boards.
Bad: can't think of any. Transportation has always been great. Bus to AK was slow 1 time, but hey I'm on vacation.. I don't wear a watch.
NO Ugly

How far is the walk to the Boardwalk? We're staying here in Nov for the first time and just can't wait!! ....we'll be in the villas...do all of the villas have balconies?...oh, and I thin kit has its own pool--Dunes Cove maybe? is it right within the villas? thanks!!:goodvibes

YCFAN
04-05-2007, 08:46 PM
We're staying at BC for the first time in 2 days.

ellenmiele: We'll see you there! We'll be at BC April 11-14!!!! Have a great vacation.

chasgoose
04-05-2007, 09:16 PM
If the balcony is a dealbreaker to you, you can just stay at the Yacht Club. It's the same everything as the Beach Club, but you are guaranteed a balcony. The only difference is that the rooms in the Yacht Club are blue and white, while the rooms in the Beach Club are seafoam green and pink. It's no more "stuffy" than the Beach Club.

If you do think you are going to be spending most of your time in the MK, however, I second considering one of the monorail resorts (although balconies aren't guaranteed at the Poly or the Contemporary if that is a problem) because that would probably be the easiest thing to do. You get two non-bus parks with each (EPCOT and MGM with the YC/BC and MK and EPCOT with the monorail resorts), but you probably won't be spending much time in MGM with a 4 year old anyways and Animal Kingdom is a bus no matter what. You lose Stormalong Bay at the monorail resorts, but the differences between SAB and any other resort pool are going to be lost on a 4 year old anyways because the biggest difference is the size of the pool and that it has the longest most intense waterslide of all the resorts.

tiggersmom2
04-05-2007, 09:57 PM
BAD: There are rooms with DOUBLE beds here!:eek: I don't know about you, but if I am paying top rate for a deluxe...I would freak if I got a double bed. Request queen beds on your ressie.

mom2aandj
04-06-2007, 08:06 AM
How far is the walk to the Boardwalk? We're staying here in Nov for the first time and just can't wait!! ....we'll be in the villas...do all of the villas have balconies?...oh, and I thin kit has its own pool--Dunes Cove maybe? is it right within the villas? thanks!!:goodvibes

Not sure if all the villas have balconies, we've always gotten one. The walk to the Boardwalk is very quick. There is a path that runs behind the villas and then the regular rooms and it lead right out to the bridge that goes to the Boardwalk. We used it to go to Epcot too, saved having to walk through the lobby.
Yep, Dune Coves is the pool, it is right by the Villas.

mom2aandj
04-06-2007, 08:08 AM
You lose Stormalong Bay at the monorail resorts, but the differences between SAB and any other resort pool are going to be lost on a 4 year old anyways because the biggest difference is the size of the pool and that it has the longest most intense waterslide of all the resorts.
Actually what my DS liked the best when he was 4 was the sand bar part of the pool with the zero depth entry. That's what my 3 year old liked the best this time as well. I don't believe you can get that at any other pool. ;)

justplaingoofy
04-06-2007, 08:18 AM
popcorn:: We will be staying at BCV for the first time October 24-31. After reading some of your replies I'm alittle concerned about the buses to AK and MK. If we want to be at MK for the opening ceremony, how much time should we allow ourselves to get there by bus?

We are going next month..... I would say @ :45min

chris4disney
04-06-2007, 08:41 AM
BAD: There are rooms with DOUBLE beds here!:eek: I don't know about you, but if I am paying top rate for a deluxe...I would freak if I got a double bed. Request queen beds on your ressie.

Really! There are double beds at the BC? :scared1: I didn't know that. I would assume that all deluxe had queen size or larger. Man, I'd be soooooooo PO'd if I walked in our BC room and found double beds. That is one of the main reasons we'd upgrade from moderate resorts. Are there that many rooms with double beds? If you request queen beds, is there any guarrantee that you'd get them?

tinker*dust
04-06-2007, 09:33 AM
Our family of 5 loved everything about the BC. Here is our top 10 list

10. Very friendly CM's and Art the Greeter
9. Beautiful resort and grounds
8. Clean, cheery room with double sink, safe, frige, and daybed for our little one.
7. Shipwreck from Hurricane Hanna's deliverd to my lounge chair...YUM!
6. Our "standard view" was of lush gardens with full balcony
5. Cape May Cafe Character Breakfast just downstairs
4. Transportation options (walk to EPCOT, boat to MGM)
3. Beaches and Cream
2. SAB - WOW!
1. Location, Location, Location

We enjoyed evening strolls to the Boardwalk, watching our kids play in the sand on the beach, the Marketplace for yummy snacks and refilling our mug.

I can't think of anything bad or ugly!

TJA
04-06-2007, 10:00 AM
GOOD: Pool, walk to Epcot in 5-10 minutes tops, walk to Boardwalk in 5-10 minutes tops, walk or boat to MGM, endless eating options within walking distance (BC, YC, Boardwalk, Epcot countries), walk back to BC after Illuminations at night, Beaches & Cream, atmosphere in general.

BAD: Room size is not as large as Poly and CR, not all rooms have full balconies.

UGLY: N/A for us.

lillygator
04-06-2007, 10:02 AM
Good: location, pool, non-bus transpo to 2 of the 4 parks

Ugly: The 'Mystery Bus Adventure' - you may have a bus that is just YC/BC, or YC/BC/BW, or all 5 resorts. It is unpredictable, and could vary, depending on the park in question, time of day, position of the moon in relation to the Earth, etc...

We went last Saturday for the night, arrived at 10am and our room was ready - boy were we surprised!!

Love the pool - but is is HUGE and there are "traps", you think you are walking around and will be able to get to the other side only to find it's an island!!

We loved our stay there and will be back in October.

kapoof
04-06-2007, 10:15 AM
when we were there this past jan we had 2 queen beds, not a double...

marmar
04-06-2007, 11:12 AM
Every room we have ever stayed in has had Queen beds!

My only Ugly is the Entrance drive. Since they built the Villas the mob at the Valet/Loading area is horrendous. I swear everyone but me is in a minivan with 6-8 people, 3 strollers and enough luggage AND Groceries for a 3 week stay. They seem to require 3 bellman for each minivan and grab up all available luggage carts. Forget normal valet parking service here... it'll take 10-15 mins just to drop off your car. Consequently MK bus is a much better and probably faster alternative than trying to retrieve a rental car.
(This was one of the main deciding points for us switching to Magical Express)

BTW: We've stayed at a room in the Yacht Club without a Balcony.

MUFFYCAT
04-06-2007, 11:42 AM
I loved the BC and the YC.
Beaches and Cream is fun and different from the other restaurants.

The whole area is fantastic. :cool1:

Minniemom97
04-06-2007, 12:07 PM
Only stayed there once but here's my 2 cents:

The Good:

~ The pool (of course)
~ Walking to EPCOT (it's nice to be able to walk over just to see Illuminations and walk back to your room)
~ The beds (soooooo comfy!)

The Bad:

~ Sharing the bus/boat with other deluxes
~ Marketplace (didn't like the limited selection, jmho)

The Ugly:

~Leaving

sfbank
04-06-2007, 12:15 PM
libinatorsmom--we are from SE Iowa!!! Small World!! We will just miss you! We are heading in May 21st 2008! We love the EPCOT area. We love the BWI but always visit Beaches -n- Cream and take a surrey bike around Crescent Lake. You will love the area!! Have a great trip!:thumbsup2

my_try
04-17-2007, 04:46 PM
We absolutely LOVE the Beach Club. We have stayed at the Villas on our last two family vacation there. The biggest two pros for us as a family is the quick walk to Epcot (which is our favorite park) and the BC's pool (Stormalong Bay). I cannot think of one bad thing about the BC or the Villas honestly. We did have to share a bus with YC, Swan, Dolphin and Boardwalk when we were there last but the ride really wasn't that bad. Of course when we were there last, it was considered "Value Season" and the crowds at the park were very light. My girlfriend just came home from WDW on April 9th and she said she waited 2 hours and 25 minutes for Space Mountain!

my_try
04-17-2007, 04:50 PM
If we want to be at MK for the opening ceremony, how much time should we allow ourselves to get there by bus?

I would leave the BC about 45 minutes before MK's opening ceremony.

goodferry
04-17-2007, 06:24 PM
We love visiting the Beach Club! It is a beautiful resort with a great location. That said, I too think you would be better served by a monorail resort that is closer to the Magic Kingdom, we love the Poly. The pool, in my opinion, is more small child friendly, not as many nooks and crannies to loose sight of them in, and also has a zero entry. You will have fun no matter what you choose!

AndyMcV
04-17-2007, 09:40 PM
Hi Janel

Sorry I can't speak for the BC itself but we love the area. We've stayed at the Swan/Dolphin twice (in 2003 and 2005). We have 2 small children our DD3 and DS7. Both trips we stayed 12 days and had absolutely no problems with the busses that went from the S/D, YC/BC to the Magic Kingdom. I wouldn't put 1 worry to this. We are planning a split trip to the BC and the S/D next summer and we can't wait.

The whole area where the BC is is fantastic. So close to Epcot and MGM and right across the lake from the Boardwalk. You guys will have an awesome first time at WDW. Finish your planning, sit back and start the anticipation. WDW is the only vacation that you can be guaranteed to have 100% fun. :goodvibes

Andy

vbarry
04-18-2007, 05:37 AM
If you are looking for a full balcony and queen beds-I would really consider the villas or YC. (Villas has one queen and a pull out which can be nice for a little extra room)

These are the two reasons I always paid the deluxe price and you are not guaranteed this at BC.

LindsayDunn228
04-18-2007, 05:50 AM

I'm scratching my head on this. Check-in time, I thought, was 3 p.m. Why would this be an issue then? :confused3

goodferry
04-18-2007, 07:42 AM
I think they probably meant that the rooms are never ready early, as they often seem to be at other resorts, I know that we generally arrive around noon, and our room has always been ready (Poly several times and BWI once)

allisonswonderland
04-18-2007, 09:40 AM
I have checked into to my room early 2 of the 3 times we have stayed there! Usually at 10am- we take an early flight. Once we were upgraded to concierge and got in early. For my wedding we were upgraded to a water view king room and the room was not ready --

AndyMcV
04-19-2007, 03:38 PM
Does anyone know the size of the BC rooms compared to the Swan/Dolphin rooms? The rooms at the S/D are nice and big. I'm curious if the BC rooms are just as big or smaller.

jenjersnap
04-19-2007, 04:00 PM
Does anyone know the size of the BC rooms compared to the Swan/Dolphin rooms? The rooms at the S/D are nice and big. I'm curious if the BC rooms are just as big or smaller.

I would say BC rooms are a bit smaller, but it might just be my perception. At the Dolphin, it was just me and DS while all 5 of us were at the BC ... it just seemed like there was more floor space at the Dolphin but the beds were smaller and there wasn't a sofa sleeper too.

I did find BC rooms quite a bit smaller than the Poly's, for sure.

libinatorsmom
05-23-2007, 10:10 PM
Gosh THanks everyone - I just cant wait until we go... If we could just book it already it would become more of a reality for me... :) May 9th 2008 just cant come quick enough....

PamNC
05-24-2007, 06:55 AM
we've never had a bad experience at the Yacht or Beach Club and I think we've stayed there 5 times. Stormalong Bay is a big draw, as is the location. The CM's are great, the rooms are always very clean and as far as balconies, we've always requested one and have always gotten it.

It's a great place to stay location or not but the location just simply rocks!

PamNC

ChesireMeg
05-24-2007, 08:08 AM
BC & YC are one of my favorite resorts. I love the fact that you can walk to MGM and EPCOT and the pool is FABULOUS! :wizard: However, I think bus transportation could be alot better--on some of the routes you share the bus with Boardwalk, Swan and Dolphin--it's just too many hotels for one bus. I don't know if Disney is doing budget cuts with that or what...but if you are willing to look past the minor bus issue, it is a GREAT resort..I'm jealous!! Have fun!! :) :banana:

Robert P
05-24-2007, 10:04 AM
I'm scratching my head on this. Check-in time, I thought, was 3 p.m. Why would this be an issue then? :confused3

Sorry you are confused.
It is not an issue, but the OP asked for Good/Bad/Ugly. We almost always arrive around lunch time, check-in, and head to the parks. MOST of the other resorts we stay at (WDW and otherwise) are able to look around in the system, and find a ready room, since we have few (if any) requests. BC never seems to have a room available, even after checking the system, so we call the number on the card they give us, until we find out our room is ready. At one point, BC was going to use something like a 'ROD - rooms on demand' system, but to date, we haven't experienced that. Maybe others have?:confused3
For the visitors that don't arrive at WDW til the afternoon or evening, they would probably never notice that happening.

MickeyNicki
05-24-2007, 02:12 PM
We stayed at the Yacht Club about 9 years ago and I remembered the only thing we did not care for was the long long long walk down the long long long hall to our room.

We were eating breakfast and dinner there last month (stayed at the Dolphin) and the BC/YC was a mad house, people everywhere...the Dolphin was empty...like a ghost town.

Our favorite restaurant is Cape May, for breakfast and dinner it is great!